Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I got one for my older step sister for Christmas last year and she said it was the best gift she got!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

Phalanx isn't capitalized but CIWS is. I don't know what band of radar flys show up on. Probably echolocation might be your best bet and put it at a frequency beyond human hearing.

Sounds awful complicated and a better investment would be to get a few bats or just a screen door or take out your garbage.

You would need a doppler radar and software to interpret the data. Once you have defined the location of the fly you can pass the coordinates on to your turret and give it the command to shoot when favorable flight patterns occur.

USB is a stupid idea for our cool fly turret though and if we're spending five grand on a doppler radar we may as well purchase ancillary equipment that doesn't make us look like turds. We also have to consider that flies will only be murdered in whichever direction the radar is pointed, so we would also have to build a motor to spin the radar, or purchase more radars to maximize our killing potential.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I don't need one because I don't live in garbage or a horse stall.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

When I was a kid my friend and I built a potato cannon and soon discovered you could (sort of) safely shoot aluminum foil balls inside. No bugs or unwary asses were safe.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Seems less fun than an electrified fly swatter, which doubles as great fun when everyone's had enough alcohol to consider presenting their bare knuckles to you

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

Phalanx isn't capitalized but CIWS is. I don't know what band of radar flys show up on.

Why, the flY-band, of course :smug:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm in flavor of a salt weapon ban.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
wouldn't it be cheaper to just fill it with sand? shooting salt seems wasteful

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
would coarse sea salt jam it

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Rutibex posted:

wouldn't it be cheaper to just fill it with sand? shooting salt seems wasteful

I have salt in my apartment, but I would have to go buy sand or drive an hour to the beach.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
loving LOL if you are too goddamn slow to slap a fly dead on a table with your fast-rear end gently caress Mexican reflexes

This is why there aren't any great Anglo boxers, only Eastern European greats

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

would coarse sea salt jam it

p sure thats what you're meant to use

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm in favor of a salt weapon ban.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Dave_Indeed posted:

You would need a doppler radar and software to interpret the data. Once you have defined the location of the fly you can pass the coordinates on to your turret and give it the command to shoot when favorable flight patterns occur.

USB is a stupid idea for our cool fly turret though and if we're spending five grand on a doppler radar we may as well purchase ancillary equipment that doesn't make us look like turds. We also have to consider that flies will only be murdered in whichever direction the radar is pointed, so we would also have to build a motor to spin the radar, or purchase more radars to maximize our killing potential.

It's 2016, gently caress salt use lasers.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/aerospace/military/laser-bug-zapper-inches-to-market-

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Spiders are dicks. One time I left my keys in my car. Sitting on top of the keys, (which were placed on my driver's side seat) was a small spider. You know, the fuzzy ones with 20 eyes? It was just sitting there, looking at me 20 times over. I was banging on the window, telling it to hit the unlock button but it just continued to stare at me. Eventually the thing crawled under my seat.

What a dick.

e. whoops, wrong thread.

Content: I own this salt gun and it is extremely satisfying. It turns flies into powder when you fire that thing from 2 inches away. SAME WITH DICK SPIDERS.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
LOL if you don't just take the shot out of a regular shotgun shell and replace that with rock salt for all your spider slaying soup salting needs.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i want someone to shoot salt up my b-hole

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dave_Indeed posted:

Finally somebody who is talking some loving sense around here.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im looking for something more energy efficient than a tesla coil to destroy the ants that sneak into my kitchen

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Dave_Indeed posted:

We don't need a motor the radar will be phased array

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I use a Nerf gun to kill wasps. For some inexplicable reason, they get torn apart by a Nerf bullet but can take a shoe to the face.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

These things seriously work really well. Bit pricey but they will destroy spiders and flies and such without much effort.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

dog buttz posted:

I use a Nerf gun to kill wasps. For some inexplicable reason, they get torn apart by a Nerf bullet but can take a shoe to the face.

like a nerf foam dart can kill a wasp? I've stomped on those fuckers and don't die.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Wendigee posted:

like a nerf foam dart can kill a wasp? I've stomped on those fuckers and don't die.

Yeah, I use this. My kid got it for christmas two years ago and on a whim, I grabbed it and shot it at a wasp. Literally tore it into pieces. I have no idea how it works but it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Does it shoot kosher salt? Asking for a Jewish friend...

• Locked thread