Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Originally released in arcades, Dynamite Cop is a game about picking up a lot of stuff and hitting people with that stuff. We're playing the Dreamcast port, which has better graphics, better controls, and some extra game modes. It's sure to be a fun time, because, I mean... do you even see that box-art up there? It's a campy, action-film inspired beat 'em up with a heart of gold. And I'll be damned if I'm going to spoil the game's surprises for you by talking too much about it. It's only an hour long, you haven't got anything to lose, and you have a lot of beautiful memories to gain.

Videos:

That's all!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh my God, YES. This is one of my favorite games and one I still break out the Dreamcast for when friends come by. Most of the other Dreamcast classics have since been ported to XBLA or the PC or what-have-you, but this gem, sadly, has not.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh my God, YES. This is one of my favorite games and one I still break out the Dreamcast for when friends come by. Most of the other Dreamcast classics have since been ported to XBLA or the PC or what-have-you, but this gem, sadly, has not.

It's a shame there weren't any spiritual successors.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is a game that doesn't take itself very seriously, isn't it? :allears:

GamesAreSupernice posted:

It's a shame there weren't any spiritual successors.

Die Hard Arcade?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

This is a game that doesn't take itself very seriously, isn't it? :allears:

Die Hard Arcade?

I think a successor comes after, usually.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Die Hard arcade is actually Dynamite Cop 1. They just slapped the Die Hard name on it when they brought it stateside. and actual spiritual successor would be Sate of Emergency for the PS2. unfortunately that game is a piece of poo poo.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

David D. Davidson posted:

Die Hard arcade is actually Dynamite Cop 1. They just slapped the Die Hard name on it when they brought it stateside. and actual spiritual successor would be Sate of Emergency for the PS2. unfortunately that game is a piece of poo poo.

Wait, how is State of Emergency similar?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
In some ways, sadly, I think Dead Rising may be the closest thing to a spiritual sequel. What with the whole 'anything can be used as a weapon, including ridiculous stuff!' and whatnot. Although other than being a 3D beat-em-up and having that aspect, and some of the goofy humor, it's not really that similar in gameplay.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In some ways, sadly, I think Dead Rising may be the closest thing to a spiritual sequel. What with the whole 'anything can be used as a weapon, including ridiculous stuff!' and whatnot. Although other than being a 3D beat-em-up and having that aspect, and some of the goofy humor, it's not really that similar in gameplay.

I love dead rising. It's not really arcadey in any fashion though, yeah. There was a beat em up on the PS1 that I recall coming close, but I can't remember the name.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I loved DR too. But yeah, I mean 'sadly' more because while it's kind of the closest thing, it's still not very close.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Found the game I was referring to. Items aren't nearly as important as I remember, but it's nifty.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Here's some fun trivia about the most recent appearance of Dynamite Cop:

Sega, the makers of Dynamite Cop, did a couple crossover strategy RPGs for the 3DS with Namco and Capcom, titled Project X Zone. In the first of these, Bruno Dellinger is one of the included characters, voiced by Ben Hiura (who dubs for Bruce Willis in many of his roles, most relevantly, John McClane). He attacks using a pepper shaker, mop, and exploding grandfather clock. He can be paired up with Frank West (from Dead Rising) and Hsien-Ko (from Darkstalkers), which leads to the two guys asking Hsien-Ko to carry all their weirdass weapons in her bottomless sleeves. Due to licensing and copyright issues with Die Hard Arcade, they replaced Bruno's BGM in the international release of the game, from High Rise to Hell (from Dynamite Cop 1/Die Hard Arcade) to Poop Deck Pursuit (from Dynamite Cop 2). The Bermuda (where DC2 takes place) is also a map in PxZ, with item-bearing breakable objects using the models of Dynamite Cop power-ups, and the rather unfortunate-looking enemies (the Bermuda Gang) show up throughout the game. In the English version, the localization team changed the title of a chapter taking place on the Bermuda to "Die Even Harder" in reference to Die Hard Arcade, as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

Bruno Dellinger

I always wondered if they just mispelled Derringer.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

I always wondered if they just mispelled Derringer.

Dellinger's a real name, though there's no one super-famous historical figure I could point to with it. :eng101:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

Dellinger's a real name, though there's no one super-famous historical figure I could point to with it. :eng101:

I am now slightly more knowledgeable.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Dynamite Cop has a gleeful arcade ridiculousness about it that I really appreciate.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

HMS Boromir posted:

Dynamite Cop has a gleeful arcade ridiculousness about it that I really appreciate.

If one made an effort to explain retro arcade games as a whole, I think this might do the trick.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Gratuitous smacking noises.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
I really miss the beat'em genre. My wife loves them, but I introduced them to her about twenty years after their heyday.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Phanos posted:

I really miss the beat'em genre. My wife loves them, but I introduced them to her about twenty years after their heyday.

If you ever need recommendations, my body is like, 90% beat 'em up recommendations.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

If you ever need recommendations, my body is like, 90% beat 'em up recommendations.

What do you recommend? I've played most of the classics (Streets of Rage is my wife's favorite) and I'm eager to know if there's anything that might be lesser known that you recommend.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Phanos posted:

What do you recommend? I've played most of the classics (Streets of Rage is my wife's favorite) and I'm eager to know if there's anything that might be lesser known that you recommend.

That depends on what consoles you have. For Genesis, Hyperstone Heist is a realtively easy TMNT beat 'em up with solid controls and production values, and Captain America and The Avengers is bit off-the-wall rapid-fire, like an arcade game, but still has lots of punching.

Captain Commando, Sonic Blast Heroes 2 for SNES are very colorful, co-operative beat 'em ups with a lot of challenge and variety.

For PS1/Nintendo 64 there's the original Fighting Force, which is similar to Dynamite Cop here, but less goofy (and it's co-op too). There's the PS1 exclusive Gekido, which is a pseudo-top-down beat 'em up with rock/funk music and lots of very muscular anime guys hitting each other, Crisis Beat and Lucifer Ring, both for the PS1 (the latter is on the PlaystationStore if you can't import) have very slick controls and are easy to master.

As for PS2, Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu heavily inspired by old SNES/Genesis beat 'em ups, but with a deeper combo system (that still isn't difficult to grasp). Urban Reign for co-op, juggle focused beat 'em up gameplay that looks super flashy. State of Emergency, as simple as beat 'em ups can get, arcadey from top to bottom, fun in short bursts, high-score focused.

And for PS3/360... Watchmen: End is Nigh is the most like traditional beat 'em ups, co-op and very simple, heavy satisfying sound effects though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Awesome. I love me some beat em ups. Bit of a lost genre unless you go looking in the indie or mobile gaming scene. The Dreamcast was home to some good ones too. I'm sure you have but did you ever play Zombie Revenge?

Phanos posted:

That depends on what consoles you have. For Genesis, Hyperstone Heist is a realtively easy TMNT beat 'em up with solid controls and production values, and Captain America and The Avengers is bit off-the-wall rapid-fire, like an arcade game, but still has lots of punching.

Captain Commando, Sonic Blast Heroes 2 for SNES are very colorful, co-operative beat 'em ups with a lot of challenge and variety.

For PS1/Nintendo 64 there's the original Fighting Force, which is similar to Dynamite Cop here, but less goofy (and it's co-op too). There's the PS1 exclusive Gekido, which is a pseudo-top-down beat 'em up with rock/funk music and lots of very muscular anime guys hitting each other, Crisis Beat and Lucifer Ring, both for the PS1 (the latter is on the PlaystationStore if you can't import) have very slick controls and are easy to master.

As for PS2, Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu heavily inspired by old SNES/Genesis beat 'em ups, but with a deeper combo system (that still isn't difficult to grasp). Urban Reign for co-op, juggle focused beat 'em up gameplay that looks super flashy. State of Emergency, as simple as beat 'em ups can get, arcadey from top to bottom, fun in short bursts, high-score focused.

And for PS3/360... Watchmen: End is Nigh is the most like traditional beat 'em ups, co-op and very simple, heavy satisfying sound effects though.

Solid titles but allow me to add Castle Crashers to that list for Xbox 360/Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204360/

And if you like Streets of Rage, then you might like the Streets of Rage Remake, an unbelievably high quality fan game:

http://www.soronline.net/sorr_info.htm

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Since we're talking Sega and beat-em-ups, one thing I can recommend is if you have a PS3 or 360, some years ago Sega released a massive collection of first-party Genesis titles (with a few arcade/Master System games as bonuses), titled Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection in the NA region, and Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection everywhere else. It's got all three Streets of Rage games, Altered Beast (both Genesis and arcade), Golden Axe 1-3, Comix Zone, and Alien Storm, plus a ton of games from other genres (it's the largest single-volume compilation Sega ever released).

On the SNES side, I'd echo recommendations of Captain Commando, Final Fight, Captain America and the Avengers, the TMNT arcade ports, and so on. If you can find a version for consoles/PC, the old Simpsons arcade game is a classic of the genre, as well, though that one mainly shines in multiplayer. For more recent games, MadWorld is a fun romp that just oozes style, though it's a bit short. It has a kind-of sequel in Anarchy Reigns (which GASN LPed a few months back), which looked decent. The Viewtiful Joe series had a lot of platformer elements, but was mostly a beat-em-up at heart, and both games were fantastic. Oh, and there's Godhand, of course, though at that point we're departing somewhat heavily from the old arcade conventions.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Is there any way, short of getting my hands on a freaking cabinet, that I could play the old arcade Aliens Versus Predator beat em up? I loved that game, and it's one of the few arcade games I ever beat. But the only place I've seen it in the last 15 years or so is in loving Tokyo, and I'm not going to Japan just to play an awesome game.

In terms of recommendations, I personally really liked the X-Men arcade beat em up; you can get it on PSN (and I assume XBA). I also liked The Simpsons arcade, but it might be nostalgia goggles; I haven't played that one in ages.

Man, I miss arcades... :smith:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

azren posted:

Is there any way, short of getting my hands on a freaking cabinet, that I could play the old arcade Aliens Versus Predator beat em up? I loved that game, and it's one of the few arcade games I ever beat.

There's an SNES AVP beat 'em up, but it's unrelated entirely. The arcade version was going to get a 32X port, but it never happened. It's doubtful it'll ever get a port now, because of licensing issues.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

azren posted:

Is there any way, short of getting my hands on a freaking cabinet, that I could play the old arcade Aliens Versus Predator beat em up? I loved that game, and it's one of the few arcade games I ever beat. But the only place I've seen it in the last 15 years or so is in loving Tokyo, and I'm not going to Japan just to play an awesome game.

In terms of recommendations, I personally really liked the X-Men arcade beat em up; you can get it on PSN (and I assume XBA). I also liked The Simpsons arcade, but it might be nostalgia goggles; I haven't played that one in ages.

Man, I miss arcades... :smith:

http://www.emuparadise.mobi/M.A.M.E._-_Multiple_Arcade_Machine_Emulator_ROMs/Alien_vs._Predator_(USA_940520)/11276

You can try that out. I also have really fond memories of the AvP arcade game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We reach the end.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
That's a terrific run. Literally. I love the way they run in this game. It gives such a sense of urgency.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Linnear posted:

That's a terrific run. Literally. I love the way they run in this game. It gives such a sense of urgency.

I always liked the running animation too. I've never seen people move that fast.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
I love how in the briefing the captain refers to the bad guys as "modern day pirates." Like, were the devs worried that we'd think they were time travelling pirates if they didn't have that line in there?

Then again if the pirates were time travelers, that'd probably be the least strange thing about them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lynx posted:

I love how in the briefing the captain refers to the bad guys as "modern day pirates." Like, were the devs worried that we'd think they were time travelling pirates if they didn't have that line in there?

Then again if the pirates were time travelers, that'd probably be the least strange thing about them.

They use the line "modern pirates" on the back of the case too.

I think the reason behind it is that they thought people were too dumb to realize pirates don't all look/act like they do in the movies.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
You said in this last video that the character you've been using is the "power" character: what does that mean and what do the other two characters have to distinguish them mechanically?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Here's some fun trivia about the most recent appearance of Dynamite Cop:

Sega, the makers of Dynamite Cop, did a couple crossover strategy RPGs for the 3DS with Namco and Capcom, titled Project X Zone. In the first of these, Bruno Dellinger is one of the included characters, voiced by Ben Hiura (who dubs for Bruce Willis in many of his roles, most relevantly, John McClane). He attacks using a pepper shaker, mop, and exploding grandfather clock. He can be paired up with Frank West (from Dead Rising) and Hsien-Ko (from Darkstalkers), which leads to the two guys asking Hsien-Ko to carry all their weirdass weapons in her bottomless sleeves. Due to licensing and copyright issues with Die Hard Arcade, they replaced Bruno's BGM in the international release of the game, from High Rise to Hell (from Dynamite Cop 1/Die Hard Arcade) to Poop Deck Pursuit (from Dynamite Cop 2). The Bermuda (where DC2 takes place) is also a map in PxZ, with item-bearing breakable objects using the models of Dynamite Cop power-ups, and the rather unfortunate-looking enemies (the Bermuda Gang) show up throughout the game. In the English version, the localization team changed the title of a chapter taking place on the Bermuda to "Die Even Harder" in reference to Die Hard Arcade, as well.

Project X Zone (and the sequel that I'm playing through now) is an impressive game in terms of references and fanservice. The gameplay itself may not be the best (it can get very repetitive), but the faithfulness to the subject matter is VERY well done (in terms of moves and quotes), and should be played just for that reason alone. It has survived the translation and localisation process just as well too. There's only been one moment where something has been lost in it that I've seen. It's in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ihXvUL84U

As for this game, I never got into it as much as I did Die Hard Arcade. I really should go back and try it again at some point.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

radintorov posted:

You said in this last video that the character you've been using is the "power" character: what does that mean and what do the other two characters have to distinguish them mechanically?

The girl is fast, and the other guy is the all around character. The normal archetypes. The issue is that the power character is already plenty fast on his own, and his attacks reach farther.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I am moving onto another 3D beat 'em up thread now that this is over, for anyone potentially interested in a much worse, much more broken game.

But thank you all for participating in this thread either way, the best part of making these things is seeing people enjoy themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I always liked the running animation too. I've never seen people move that fast.

What I like about the run is that it looks to me like someone TASing that QWOP game.

• Locked thread