Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I think ubiquitous 'free shipping' has blinded consumers to the real costs of shipping and I highly doubt Amazon is going to profitably be able to deliver small ticket items that you could get at a store at much profit (if any). We'll see I suppose but I bet 'same day' will only be in fairly highly populated areas and not really available to most of the rest of the country.

Probably determined by your proximity to a distribution center/warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Walmart grocery curbside pickup delivery seems cool since it's free/scheduled/and on the way home anyway. Haven't tried it out yet though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I tried amazon's same-day shipping one time and felt guilty. It was a >$100 item though at least

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

thathonkey posted:

I tried amazon's same-day shipping one time and felt guilty. It was a >$100 item though at least

Out of curiosity, how did it get delivered? Local carrier company I assume? UPS/FedEx?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Roylicious posted:

Out of curiosity, how did it get delivered? Local carrier company I assume? UPS/FedEx?

i don't remember sorry. it was on a sunday. probably one of the smaller couriers they use though, yeah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Ah yes, the Radio Shack business model. Solid plan.

"You've got questions, we've got cell phones!"

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Roylicious posted:

...and I highly doubt Amazon is going to profitably be able to deliver small ticket items that you could get at a store at much profit (if any)...

I've come across plenty of smaller items that won't ship unless you're buying something else. I assume that means they somehow lose money if they try and ship them alone, even if you're paying the flat shipping rate?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Roylicious posted:

For me, it was most like Uber or ride-sharing; no van or uniformed delivery driver, just some older retired guy in shorts & a t-shirt in a BMW who said he did it as a side job to keep from getting bored.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
amazon really hasn't been profitable at all until just this summer, i'm pretty sure.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

seems like walmart's prices beat amazon on a lot of items though

Walmart is apparently throwing billions at online sales, especially ship-to-store, but they just don't seem able to figure it out. I've used ship-to-store online sales 4 times. 2 times I got what I ordered. Another time the product was smashed to hell and the last time they cancelled my order 2 weeks later because of no stock.

So their prices might be as good, but they can't seem to make it all work.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Wal-mart online also has incredibly obscure items a lot of times. It's going to be funny if Walmart ever complains that Amazon is pushing them out of a market.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Walmart's website is garbage to navigate though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

darkhand posted:

Wal-mart online also has incredibly obscure items a lot of times. It's going to be funny if Walmart ever complains that Amazon is pushing them out of a market.

There were a bunch of protesters with picket signs a few years ago demanding Amazon start charging sales tax, which seems like an odd thing to be picketing. Anyway it turned out Walmart was behind the whole thing lol

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

PallasAthene posted:

Do you think stuff like truecar will eventually get a lot of car dealerships to do away with commissioned salesmen? I've never used it, but it seems like the point is to get rid of wiggle room on prices so they don't need to offer salesmen the incentive of getting more commission on a higher sales price.

The prices on TruCar are the ones that the dealers post. It's used to drive prices up and create an illusion of savings.

They often don't report sales on the low end of the median to the site so they can make people think MSRP is a deal

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Anything that's advertised on national TV is gonna be a scam in one way or another, lol just lol for trusting TrueCar

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I was at Sears HQ for a seminar and it is indeed kinda depressing, the place feels dead. It's a huge campus, but it seems like they're running on half capacity so everywhere had that school during the holidays emptiness to it.

And not long after the seminar I got an email basically invalidating the entire purpose for going, they apparently don't have the resources to keep enforcing strict standards on their vendors.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Booblord Zagats posted:

The prices on TruCar are the ones that the dealers post. It's used to drive prices up and create an illusion of savings.

They often don't report sales on the low end of the median to the site so they can make people think MSRP is a deal

Supposedly Costco has a great service for buying new cars and not dealing with having to haggle the lowest price, hoping the salesperson isn't loving you. And I guess it's legit because they never advertise it.

And I really do hope some goon uploads a video of them touring Sears HQ like the Building 19 thrift video from a few years back.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Booblord Zagats posted:

AugmentedVision posted:

Anything that's advertised on national TV is gonna be a scam in one way or another, lol just lol for trusting TrueCar

Yeah, I saw a local ad where one car dealer said they weren't part of TrueCar's "network" but they would sell identical cars for 10% less than some quote that you get from Truecar to take to one of the network dealers. If other companies can afford to cut 10% off the "great deal" price, I figured it must be some sort of price fixing deal. But I just wondered if all the Truecar dealers would just eliminate the haggling/commission and pay their salesmen by the hour, Circuit CIty style.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

kazr posted:

i was shocked when i called autozone asking for an a/c cleaner without a particular product in mind, dude was able to order it for next day and then the price was even cheaper than what you can find online. i went in and it was exactly what i needed and he even gave me some advice on how to use it.

I hate people that call to auto parts stores. Their understaffed and people sit at stools waiting for granny to explain their problem.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

To continue all the Circuit City chat, back when they were a thing there was a developer building a brand new shopping plaza in the rich area of town that was supposed to be the next big thing, and for some reason they felt it wouldn't be complete without a state of the art Circuit City. At the same time a buddy of mine was working at a Circuit City across town that was doing exceptionally terrible.
Management was giving people the option of transferring to the new store, and since it was new and shiny and everyone promised it would be amazing, requests flooded in. Pretty much anyone who knew anything about electronics got transferred to the new store. I kid you not, less than one year later that store was shut down. The funny thing is the original store lasted another 2 years before meeting the same fate. People were fighting to get fired the fastest.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

vyst posted:

Walmart's website is garbage to navigate though

Yeah, why is that? Every so often I go on there and it's dogshit, worse than anything I remember from 10 years ago.

The company can afford something better.

Anyway, since Amazon's goal seems to be to eliminate competition by not making a profit then, once the competition is gone, presumably raise prices... what is to stop another company from using the exact same business model on Amazon?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Amazon makes plenty of money they just use creative accounting practices to make it look like they never turn a profit

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nice

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

This was interesting to me when i worked at best buy. It used to be the salesmen would get seminars on stuff, the big name reps would come in with some swag and training and it was a Big Deal to work there. I came in on the tail end of that and you could eee the vesitges of the old system there. Intel offered like 80% off their new i7 series processors and youd only get it if you took their training courses. Thats a huge deal, right? Their training was actually on point and made you feel knowledgeable about the product. The thing was you had to do it all on your own for any of these training programs. The store wanted you to sell more stuff and warranties and cards. The employee had to be passionate on their own to actually become good sales people. I dont think they even offer that kind of thing for their employees anymore and they wonder why people hate going in there.

what does a BB in Iowa even look like

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Roylicious posted:

One time my friend ordered something for Next-Day Delivery with his Amazon Prime membership. It still hadn't shown up the next day by about 4:00 so we figured it wasn't coming.

Like 5 minutes later some random girl in a Ford Focus pulls up and is like "Hey, your package didn't make it on the truck so the company sent me to deliver it, sorry about that" and hands him the package. This chick was just some random employee but she drove about two hours from their office in a city nearby to deliver this book or whatever.

I was super impressed.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, why is that? Every so often I go on there and it's dogshit, worse than anything I remember from 10 years ago.

The company can afford something better.

Anyway, since Amazon's goal seems to be to eliminate competition by not making a profit then, once the competition is gone, presumably raise prices... what is to stop another company from using the exact same business model on Amazon?

Sears' website is the worst major retailer website I've ever seen. Seriously, go there right now and look up something that should be a prime Sears product, like a car jack, or a lawnmower blade. It's almost completely unusable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

XK posted:

Sears' website is the worst major retailer website I've ever seen. Seriously, go there right now and look up something that should be a prime Sears product, like a car jack, or a lawnmower blade. It's almost completely unusable.

I see your Sears website and raise you Canadian Tires

I don't know if it's Firefox, but whenever you try to look at a product or read reviews the page keeps reloading, it's 100% unusable

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

haha yeah. Search for "car jack" and you will get everything and anything that has either word in it. Tons of pages of "car floor mats" and "Jack the Ripper documentary on DVD" and maybe on page 72 you will come across a car jack.

Speaking of Sears' website, anyone remember this gem? (:nws:)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

fits my needs posted:

what does a BB in Iowa even look like

Probably a shithole like every other Best Buy?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Amazon makes plenty of money they just use creative accounting practices to make it look like they never turn a profit

Why?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shot in the dark: To save money on taxes

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

haha yeah. Search for "car jack" and you will get everything and anything that has either word in it. Tons of pages of "car floor mats" and "Jack the Ripper documentary on DVD" and maybe on page 72 you will come across a car jack.

Speaking of Sears' website, anyone remember this gem? (:nws:)

I believe Sears basically rents out their webpage to anyone who wants to list their own products, like a bottom-of-the-barrel ebay. This is how they end up with all kinds of crazy poo poo bloating any simple product search to 75 pages.

Professor Shark posted:

I see your Sears website and raise you Canadian Tires

I don't know if it's Firefox, but whenever you try to look at a product or read reviews the page keeps reloading, it's 100% unusable

I just tried it out, I didn't have that problem, and I used Firefox. Sears' website is still way worse.

XK has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Jun 30, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

XK posted:

I just tried it out, I didn't have that problem, and I used Firefox. Sears' website is still way worse.

I think it's because I have my postal code put in

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Sports Authority must be worse than they admitted - I just got an e-mail from Sports Authority offering 30% off Water Sports. Those beat craigslist m4m prices!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

dreezy posted:

guess we're all going to moe's.
who the gently caress eats at moes

moes is like a mcdonalds crawled up taco bell's rear end and died. the lovely decor and music, the forced singing and callouts to customers, the absolutely loving retarded and confusing names for every single menu item, its straight up unpleasant to be inside.

if youre gonna spend $8 on a burrito buy it from an actual mexican in a food truck somewhere because even if he doesnt speak english you probably will still have the same difficulty in communicating your order and it'll taste better anyways

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Amazon's same-day shipping is only free if you order more than $35 worth of items. Also a lot of the really cheap stuff nowadays is marked as "Add-on Item" which means you literally can't order it unless it's part of a larger order.

Also their same-day zones seem to be based entirely on zip codes or something like that; I live about a 7 minute drive from where I work, and we've had a few work-related items that I just had shipped to my house instead, since same-day delivery was free to my house but $7.99 to my office.

I was employed in various positions at Radio Shack (they made me do the Manager and District Manager trainings but never actually promoted me lol, they just expected me to do more work for free). I worked there for 3 years, right at the End Times, and I saw some hilarious poo poo. Multiple CFOs and CEOs just bailing, dropping $400k on a complete store overhaul only to have that store close 3 months later due to lack of business, pouring another few hundred thousand dollars into 1 or 2 stores in a major city while closing half a dozen other stores in the same city, many of which were performing relatively well, all kinds of hilarious poo poo. AMA :v:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

This was interesting to me when i worked at best buy. It used to be the salesmen would get seminars on stuff, the big name reps would come in with some swag and training and it was a Big Deal to work there. I came in on the tail end of that and you could eee the vesitges of the old system there. Intel offered like 80% off their new i7 series processors and youd only get it if you took their training courses. Thats a huge deal, right? Their training was actually on point and made you feel knowledgeable about the product. The thing was you had to do it all on your own for any of these training programs. The store wanted you to sell more stuff and warranties and cards. The employee had to be passionate on their own to actually become good sales people. I dont think they even offer that kind of thing for their employees anymore and they wonder why people hate going in there.

its like walking into a used car lot staffed by rear end in a top hat 19 year olds

ive been to best buy like 3 times in the last 20 years because people still buy gift cards i guess??? all 3 times the pushy sales person has tried to sell me a thing that doesnt do what i want by insisting its what i wanted, possibly even lying depending on how knowledgeable they are. I walked in there for a dvi cable for a reason u poo poo dick dont try to sell me an hdmi cable

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Amazon's same-day shipping is only free if you order more than $35 worth of items. Also a lot of the really cheap stuff nowadays is marked as "Add-on Item" which means you literally can't order it unless it's part of a larger order.

Also their same-day zones seem to be based entirely on zip codes or something like that; I live about a 7 minute drive from where I work, and we've had a few work-related items that I just had shipped to my house instead, since same-day delivery was free to my house but $7.99 to my office.

I was employed in various positions at Radio Shack (they made me do the Manager and District Manager trainings but never actually promoted me lol, they just expected me to do more work for free). I worked there for 3 years, right at the End Times, and I saw some hilarious poo poo. Multiple CFOs and CEOs just bailing, dropping $400k on a complete store overhaul only to have that store close 3 months later due to lack of business, pouring another few hundred thousand dollars into 1 or 2 stores in a major city while closing half a dozen other stores in the same city, many of which were performing relatively well, all kinds of hilarious poo poo. AMA :v:

Were they still pushing cell phones harder than anything else in the world? I worked there back in like 2000 and I still remember the SPIFF breakdown for phones. It was drilled into my head that much. Bring them that case and car charger up to the cash register and make them say "no" when you are ringing them up! I hate to admit it, but it's actually the job that got me thinking I'd be good at client facing sales, just better paying ones.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

its like walking into a used car lot staffed by rear end in a top hat 19 year olds

ive been to best buy like 3 times in the last 20 years because people still buy gift cards i guess??? all 3 times the pushy sales person has tried to sell me a thing that doesnt do what i want by insisting its what i wanted, possibly even lying depending on how knowledgeable they are. I walked in there for a dvi cable for a reason u poo poo dick dont try to sell me an hdmi cable

I asked 3 different salespeople at Best Buy if they sold split-loom tubing and got 3 blank stares. 2 people couldn't help me even when I tried explaining what it is, the 3rd guy ended up showing me those rigid plastic runners you use to hide cables from a wall-mounted TV installation. Silly me for assuming a place that specializes in a/v cables would also have a way to protect those cables :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I asked 3 different salespeople at Best Buy if they sold split-loom tubing and got 3 blank stares. 2 people couldn't help me even when I tried explaining what it is, the 3rd guy ended up showing me those rigid plastic runners you use to hide cables from a wall-mounted TV installation. Silly me for assuming a place that specializes in a/v cables would also have a way to protect those cables :downs:

If you had called them "those black tubes you put wires in behind computers" they would have immediately known what you were talking about.