Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

Oh jeez, I forgot how bad working nights is for mafiaing.

I can't possibly begin to comment on the actual mechanical argument, I've never heard of a nexus and I'm confused utterly by what's been written so far about it.

I'm wavering back and forth on AA's meltdown looking townish or not, I've definitely gone the gently caress off based solely on what (to everyone else) looks like a couple of basic-rear end questions. I'm not ready to vote him, especially considering we just came down off a ridiculous successful turbo and now it's the time that people strap in and start playing FOR REAL. I can see getting riled by getting (what you think is) grilled when you've barely sat down to play---but I'm gonna keep watching.

Mags is playing dumbly. Unhelpful. He's better than this. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he flipped town, just on numbers, but come the gently caress on---either wise up or admit you're not paying attention.

The main thing that's digging at me about day one is what I know about Jimson as scum, specifically Jimson disrespecting the flow of a game. I was gung-ho to punch his ticket, but I'm wondering if I got played, like, he knew people would be pretty okay with him being turboed because of his reputation. This obviously points the finger at YPM, but I'm not happy about that argument either.

So, the next reasonable thing I think to think of is who's lurking? Well, there's three active players with single-digit postcounts, myself, RF and Dawny. Not much to work with thus far, but they're probably names to float on the suspicion list. Yeah, even mine, what, you think I'm going to hedge that, all "oh it's not me obviously", that's stupid. "I'm town!" is a given in any gameplay post.

All that said, for right now I'm liking a ##vote MG3 maneuver.

"Sure wouldn't be surprised if this guy is town...I'm gonna vote him!!"

This is illogical and shows AW is just tying to say words and look like they're thinking critically when really they're just spouting nothings. Notice how he he goes out of his way to hint that MG will probably flip town, and is voting them based on...being dumb? I don't get what he's trying to say about Jimson and mentioning him at all is obfuscation because he was a d1 turbo there isn't much to get off of that. No idea why that points to YPM. How can you "not like an argument" when you are the only person making it? If you don't like it, why mention it at all? To say words with no meaning. He then makes a lurker call out less than 24 hours into d2 after a fast d1 turbo, and it, again, apparently has no relevance to anything since AW doesn't see it as meaningful.

##vote AW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

I would think that targeting someone to redirect anything hitting you to them would count as a targeting action. It's not my game though.

if thats the case then standard redirectors would be trackable to 2 different people

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

JakeP posted:

if thats the case then standard redirectors would be trackable to 2 different people

I would think both their targets would be redirected to the lightning rod.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
does anyone like my case against AW

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Kashuno posted:

i do but I've never even seen allen wren actually play mafia instead of mod so i'm fuzzy on hin

you're right that his case feels artifical, something scum would come up with to fake town participation

i need time to think

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Kashuno posted:

There was a pretty hefty amount of activity yesterday. It reads more like someone who read through and really doesn't know what to think but puts their thoughts down anyway, which is what i do all the time

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Personal Muse posted:

There was a pretty hefty amount of activity yesterday. It reads more like someone who read through and really doesn't know what to think but puts their thoughts down anyway, which is what i do all the time

Except their thoughts are "Eh. No read on AA. Mags probs town but I will vote him. No read on YPM. No read on lurkers."

and no comment about Jake P's case..?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I don't think I can say AW is scum just based on that post

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
lets flip aa and look at his guts he even asked up to

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Allen Wren posted:

The main thing that's digging at me about day one is what I know about Jimson as scum, specifically Jimson disrespecting the flow of a game. I was gung-ho to punch his ticket, but I'm wondering if I got played, like, he knew people would be pretty okay with him being turboed because of his reputation. This obviously points the finger at YPM, but I'm not happy about that argument either.

Can you please elaborate a little more on what you mean by this? I'm not following.

You're saying you "got played" by going along with a successful turbo for town?

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
I also think that AW's post where he basically says "MG3 is playing dumb and may be town, but I'm voting for him anyway" is odd.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I think AA's meltdown because two people had kind of lovely cases in him is odd

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I think AA's meltdown because two people had kind of lovely cases in him is odd

I agree with that too. His vote on me is garbage and I would vote AA when we approach deadline

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

tpink posted:

I also think that AW's post where he basically says "MG3 is playing dumb and may be town, but I'm voting for him anyway" is odd.

What is this saying? You've been making these kinds of posts all game. Who is scum? Who is town?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

What is this saying? You've been making these kinds of posts all game. Who is scum? Who is town?

:yeah:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

instead of w8ing for deadline, we could just vote aa now, just a thought

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
dongsbot play the game or don't post thanks

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

youre not my dad

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dongsbot 9000 posted:

youre not my dad

ya I'm not dealing with this all game

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

This is saying that AW's post pings scummy because he says that MG may well be town but then votes for him anyway. What's unclear about that?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Kashuno posted:

ya I'm not dealing with this all game

Another one bites the dust

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

Another one bites the dust

how do you feel about AW's vote on you?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

lmao

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Kashuno posted:

how do you feel about AW's vote on you?

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever and is opportunistic. I'd say it's a scummy vote

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

tpink posted:

This is saying that AW's post pings scummy because he says that MG may well be town but then votes for him anyway. What's unclear about that?

Odd does not equal scummy. I for instance am an odd man but I'm the towniest motherfucker here because my PM says so.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Odd does not equal scummy. I for instance am an odd man but I'm the towniest motherfucker here because my PM says so.

Yeah, this is why I didn't vote for AW just based on that -- it's odd because his vote doesn't follow from his post, but by itself, it's not enough for me to say "oh he must be scum."

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Other than saying that Jake's case is straightforward, there doesn't seem to be an opinion on AA in your post history. What do you think of AA?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Other than saying that Jake's case is straightforward, there doesn't seem to be an opinion on AA in your post history. What do you think of AA?

At this point of sounds like pretty much everyone buys AA's story that he is a one-shot nexus who used his power N1. The only question becomes alignment.

Based on the wiki I'm inclined to believe that makes him town. I'm also inclined to believe that based on his fit, actually- if he's one-shot and he already used it, then he doesn't have a lot left to contribute to the town game outside of votes and he's staring down the barrel of a lynch based on the current count and one or two others leaning that way at deadline.

If he was scum, on the other hand, even if he'd used his one-shot PR, he could still perform the night kill, right? I'd think he'd fight harder to stay alive rather than just saying "gently caress it, I'm out."

Maybe that's me reading too far into things and I fully admit being relatively new and having never been scum before, I might be misunderstanding- but that's my thinking, anyway.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I do, however, still want to hear more from Allen Wren because that post left me with a lot more questions than answers. Especially after a re-read.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

just gonna put that there.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

IllegallySober posted:

At this point of sounds like pretty much everyone buys AA's story that he is a one-shot nexus who used his power N1. The only question becomes alignment.

Based on the wiki I'm inclined to believe that makes him town. I'm also inclined to believe that based on his fit, actually- if he's one-shot and he already used it, then he doesn't have a lot left to contribute to the town game outside of votes and he's staring down the barrel of a lynch based on the current count and one or two others leaning that way at deadline.

If he was scum, on the other hand, even if he'd used his one-shot PR, he could still perform the night kill, right? I'd think he'd fight harder to stay alive rather than just saying "gently caress it, I'm out."

Maybe that's me reading too far into things and I fully admit being relatively new and having never been scum before, I might be misunderstanding- but that's my thinking, anyway.

Well I was talking to TPink, but again, the first wiki that pops up when you type mafia nexus into google mentions it is a pro scum role, and if you use your noggin, redirecting ALL actions, including investigative actions, induces chaos and hurts the town. The fact that he is a nexus does not sway me one way or another.

I would like to know why, if he believed Rarity was scum, he redirected all actions toward rarity. If rarity performed the night kill and a tracker tracked it, or was scum and got copped, AA would come up scum. And investigative actions are much more likely than killing actions (at least the way I see it). It makes more sense for scum, knowing this is a role heavy game, to blow their one shot nexus the first night to hopefully get a false positive one someone else than town to do so.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

CapitalistPig posted:

just gonna put that there.

Gimmie a vig and I'll start threatening people

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Well I was talking to TPink, but again, the first wiki that pops up when you type mafia nexus into google mentions it is a pro scum role, and if you use your noggin, redirecting ALL actions, including investigative actions, induces chaos and hurts the town. The fact that he is a nexus does not sway me one way or another.

I would like to know why, if he believed Rarity was scum, he redirected all actions toward rarity. If rarity performed the night kill and a tracker tracked it, or was scum and got copped, AA would come up scum. And investigative actions are much more likely than killing actions (at least the way I see it). It makes more sense for scum, knowing this is a role heavy game, to blow their one shot nexus the first night to hopefully get a false positive one someone else than town to do so.

Asiina* FTFY

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Sorry you are right. Now answer the question

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nexus can be either alignment stop using a nexus justification.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Kashuno posted:

Nexus can be either alignment stop using a nexus justification.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Sorry you are right. Now answer the question

I figured, if someone made a NK on me maybe I could redirect to someone else I thought was scum. Your Ah-ha! relies on me thinking Asiina also would be the one to make the NK, which I wasn't betting on. In any case, I didn't think it through all that much. I'm a blow your load type of guy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I figured, if someone made a NK on me maybe I could redirect to someone else I thought was scum. Your Ah-ha! relies on me thinking Asiina also would be the one to make the NK, which I wasn't betting on. In any case, I didn't think it through all that much. I'm a blow your load type of guy.

This is bizarre. "I thought Asiina was scum but there's NO WAY she could've been the one to do the kill!!!"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do you know she couldn't do the kill because you know who did instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Kashuno posted:

Do you know she couldn't do the kill because you know who did instead?

No I'm saying, YPM's argument relies on me believing I thought she would make the kill. he's arguing, why target asiina if you think she's scum. Why target anyone else than a person I thought was scum? I mean what if I could redirect the nk to kill themselves even. Normally, I see nexus with a limitation, but my limitation is that it is 1-shot, and it redirects any actions targeting me to a target of my choosing.

Outside of that, I have no knowledge on if it can prevent or redirect a kill.

• Locked thread