Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I want to be this dog's seeing eye human.
Go volunteer bud. Plenty of pups needing help or just a nice walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Fister Roboto posted:

I want to be this dog's seeing eye human.

Can we alternate weekends and holiday's?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Idk what kind of dog food you guys use but I use Blue Wilderness. I went to Petsmart the night I got the pup and told the girl I wanted dog food recommendations and she said "okay what are you looking for in your dog food?" Well this question perplexed me so I said "uh... You know, faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive kind of thing" and she gave me Blue Wilderness and it owns.

Anyways I say that to say this: the 24lb bag (the biggest) is like $60 in stores but you can get it on Jet.com for $39 by using a debit card and a code they give you for 15% off, so it can apply to everything I imagine. I just always save deals like that for stuff for my pup though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I miss my dogge so much that I'm having stress induced nightmares about him dying. Its ok though. Jack Hanna brought him back to life after he drowned in my dream.

Thanks Dream Jack Hanna.

gently caress 6 months of TAD and a lovely class man. gently caress it all to hell next time the dog is coming with.

I have the best wife ever for indulging my need of doggepics too.

Judgemental face:

Here he is eating grass and knowing he shouldn't be eating grass.

Bonus Oldass Stray we Rescued

Edit:
Foodchat:

We just use the Kirkland Nature’s Domain at Costco. Its actually pretty good food as far as ingredients go, and only costs like $33bux if I remember right.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 29, 2016

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
One of our old dogs had a reaction to blue , we're using natural balance now.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
My job pays poo poo but holy poo poo are there some good times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I feed Dakota taste of the wild.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

PenisMonkey posted:

Same!

This is Maximus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zIbeSlVlWA

I figured out a few months ago that if I put my iPad down in front of him with Mary Poppins on, he goes to sleep. I have no idea why Mary Poppins. It worked, and since then if I put anything else on, he makes his protest noise until I come back and change it for him. The first time I heard him do that I was alone with headphones on and all the lights were out. I thought someone had broken in and was screaming. Normally I sneak up on him when he's doing this because when I catch him mid-yowl he has the cutest look of guilt. I let him finish so I could record it. Well not finish, because if I didn't stop him he would go on for hours.
(video quality is pretty crappy cause I turn the lights out for the dogges that actually want to sleep)

Re: Food chat
If you don't know if you food is lovely or not, go to Petsmart (even if you don't shop there) and find the food you buy. Notice where it is located. If it is more toward the front of the store in the first rows, it's better quality. If it's in the back row, it's garbage. They have very specific food set up for cats and dogs. If you live in the mid-west, try Jack's Pets. Their staff is extremely knowledgeable about all the brands they carry. Also both have a very good return policy, if it's open and your pet doesn't like it you can exchange it. No idea about Petco, I don't think there's one around here so I've never been.

Edit edit: Apparently Jack's Pets is basically only Ohio with a few Indiana and Kentucky stores :(

Sarah fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 29, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If your food has basically any grain it's taking the piss. Dogs can't digest that poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you can buy it at a grocery store it's usually a pretty bland food for dogs too.

Kind of like feeding them McDonald's for their entire life. You won't notice the difference in a day, but over the course of several months it makes a difference in everything from energy to how bright and shiny their coats are. Imagine how healthy you would be if someone exclusively fed you McDonald's every day. Tasty, but you're shaving years off of your life even if you don't know it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There was a documentary about that

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

There was a documentary about that

who would feed mcdonalds to their dog for a documentary

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Segmentation Fault posted:

who would feed mcdonalds to their dog for a documentary

A cute dog snarfing someone's mcdonalds is like an easy 20k, minimum, on YouTube, duh.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

evil_bunnY posted:

If your food has basically any grain it's taking the piss. Dogs can't digest that poo poo.

Yes, they can. Dogs have evolved beyond wolves' digestive abilities. There has been tons of research on VIN and by Hill's that shows that a domesticated dog's digestive system is closer to a pig's than their ancestors at this point. Infact, high protein dog diets in breeds that don't pull sleds often lead to bladder stones and heightened occurrences of gastric distress as well as most brands getting recalled for issues including salmonella, fungus and all other manner of fun poo poo that's killed dogs.

Grain Free for dogs is the same as organic gluten free soy bison for people. An advertising ploy with made up science that has spent far more money on advertising than proper research.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

PenisMonkey posted:

Around lunch time put up a sign out front that says:

All YOU CAN PETTE
Dogge Buffet:
$3 / 15 min

Let 2 or 3 people in at a time.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ask your vet for recommendations, not the min wage chump at the pet store. I thought I heard from another thread here that blue buffalo wilderness or whatever was loving up cats and dogs' urinary tract so much that if the pet was having bladder issues and they didn't say they fed it blue buffalo, they owed the other vet a six pack.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
The first ingredient in all dog food should be meat; be it chicken, beef, or fish.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Slim Pickens posted:

Ask your vet for recommendations, not the min wage chump at the pet store. I thought I heard from another thread here that blue buffalo wilderness or whatever was loving up cats and dogs' urinary tract so much that if the pet was having bladder issues and they didn't say they fed it blue buffalo, they owed the other vet a six pack.

The blue challenge at vet offices is a real thing.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Lazy Reservist posted:

The first ingredient in all dog food should be meat; be it chicken, beef, or fish.

Ok. Why?

You won't get a good reason that isn't some homeopath with a theory that's never managed to survive a double-blind.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Booblord Zagats posted:

Ok. Why?

You won't get a good reason that isn't some homeopath with a theory that's never managed to survive a double-blind.

Why not?

Let people feel better about their choices. If you win this argument you win nothing.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TBeats posted:

Why not?

Let people feel better about their choices. If you win this argument you win nothing.

Because there's been medical proof that super high protein diets are bad for domesticated dogs as well as the fact that a lot of these foods get recalled surprisingly often due to salmonella and fungal spores being int he bag, which can hurt and even kill your dog. Or maybe the fact that these foods often contain a large amount of fat, and dogs that become overweight live lifespans 30% shorter than those that don't. Or maybe it's because these companies advertising this poo poo make unsubstaniated claims because the FDA and Dept Ag give zero fucks about dog food, because they're often too busy worrying about livestock feed to initiate proper requirements for house pet feed.

People think that food, made properly with tons of inspections with ZERO recalls or dogs killed are the bad guys here (Hills, Royal Canin, etc) because instead of blowing millions on advertising campaigns they spend their time researching, implementing super strict safety standards and bothering to actually use independent studies in the US, Canada and Europe to make their loving product. I lost a dog a few years back to lovely food (Diamond) so it's something I've taken an interest in.

So if I win the argument, there's a chance that the people who actually listen to proper research have their dogs live longer, happier lives.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Booblord Zagats posted:

Because there's been medical proof that super high protein diets are bad for domesticated dogs as well as the fact that a lot of these foods get recalled surprisingly often due to salmonella and fungal spores being int he bag, which can hurt and even kill your dog. Or maybe the fact that these foods often contain a large amount of fat, and dogs that become overweight live lifespans 30% shorter than those that don't. Or maybe it's because these companies advertising this poo poo make unsubstaniated claims because the FDA and Dept Ag give zero fucks about dog food, because they're often too busy worrying about livestock feed to initiate proper requirements for house pet feed.

People think that food, made properly with tons of inspections with ZERO recalls or dogs killed are the bad guys here (Hills, Royal Canin, etc) because instead of blowing millions on advertising campaigns they spend their time researching, implementing super strict safety standards and bothering to actually use independent studies in the US, Canada and Europe to make their loving product. I lost a dog a few years back to lovely food (Diamond) so it's something I've taken an interest in.

So if I win the argument, there's a chance that the people who actually listen to proper research have their dogs live longer, happier lives.

whole lotta maybes in this post

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

whole lotta maybes in this post

lol

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-_tqd7e_D8

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Post Dogges TIA

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dogges and cats living together, mass hysteria

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mak0rz posted:

Post Dogges TIA

Coworker brings his dog in almost everyday. She likes to politely beg in the breakroom

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would never get anything done

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Who wants a treat?

Ollie: :cool:
Seb: :ohdear:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

bimmian posted:

Who wants a treat?

Ollie: :cool:
Seb: :ohdear:

I would like to submit the following motion to this thread:

Dogs, especially Golden Retrievers, are awesome.
I want another doggie so bad and I want it to be a Golden again, because that's what I had. However the GF doesn't want another hunting dog because she thinks they smell bad.
Now I'm thinking maybe a German Shepard because they seem awesome, are really cute when young and there was this show witha German Shepard when I was young. Litless Hobo or something?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

That little tail wag by the 1st dog when it finished :3:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dalael posted:

Now I'm thinking maybe a German Shepard because they seem awesome, are really cute when young and there was this show witha German Shepard when I was young. Litless Hobo or something?
The average GSD will run rings around a lab in terms of drive and intelligence. So be ready for that.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

evil_bunnY posted:

The average GSD will run rings around a lab in terms of drive and intelligence. So be ready for that.

I always considered my Golden Retriever to be smart but in truth, I really have no way of knowing since she was my first real dog. She learnt tricks rather quickly, was super eager to please and was definitely intuitive about my moods.

What are good signs of intelligence in dogs? how do I know how smart/dumb my dog was?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Dog intelligence is measured on a scale of "runs into walls" --> "can outsmart child safe locks". Paying attention will only get you up to "average", really smart dogs are the ones who figure out how to get around obstacles that would frustrate a preschooler.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Nevets posted:

Dog intelligence is measured on a scale of "runs into walls" --> "can outsmart child safe locks". Paying attention will only get you up to "average", really smart dogs are the ones who figure out how to get around obstacles that would frustrate a preschooler.

By that definition then, I'd say she was average intelligence.I never saw her do things that made me go, "Holy poo poo that was smart!". At leats she was smart enough that if she'd rope herself around an object, she could figure out that going back the around on the other side would fix the problem. But that wasn't all the time. She'd often just wait for me to go around the object.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Very true. My boys are pretty smart... when they want to be. They lack the intensity of a GSD. Both of mine passed their CGC, Seb just barely (too excited to see other dogs), and Ollie passed with no problem but fell asleep every class. With a GSD you have to channel their energy and drive into training or you end up with a monster.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dalael posted:

GF doesn't want another hunting dog because she thinks they smell bad.

:sever:

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yo man get a Pom.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dalael posted:

What are good signs of intelligence in dogs? how do I know how smart/dumb my dog was?
How much attention you have to pay to them to prevent them from melting down, IME

Dalael posted:

By that definition then, I'd say she was average intelligence.I never saw her do things that made me go, "Holy poo poo that was smart!". At leats she was smart enough that if she'd rope herself around an object, she could figure out that going back the around on the other side would fix the problem. But that wasn't all the time. She'd often just wait for me to go around the object.
Sounds about right. Too smart for their own good is mosdef a thing to watch out for if you want a family pupper.

To give you an example, a really smart furry friend will not let the leash tangle like that (they'll walk behind you, then come back to your side). Or they'll do it on purpose, to see who's boss.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

An unreasonably high intelligence benchmark is "Can I leave it alone with food and trust it not to eat until it dies." Unfortunately that already omits like 95% of all dogges from the list so don't use that as a criterion.

Here's a live demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYTSS14SFY0