Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

soggybagel posted:

I just noticed Superman was in that loving Ali pic.

Why wouldn't Ali's greatest opponent be there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah nobody was really surprised the interview was a bunch of softball bullshit, but those "no he's totally changed, i'm sure..." comments were 100% bullshit. Beating the poo poo out of a woman, choking her, and throwing her onto a pile of guns is not a "mistake".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dr. Z, a mainstay of Sports Illustrated for forever, and who covered football since the 60's is currently struggling to pay for his assisted care living facility after a series of strokes:

https://www.gofundme.com/paulzimmerman

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Pumped for some Sash MLK hot takes

I would assume the PSU fan spotted Michael Jackson immediately

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

Kalli posted:

Dr. Z, a mainstay of Sports Illustrated for forever, and who covered football since the 60's is currently struggling to pay for his assisted care living facility after a series of strokes:

https://www.gofundme.com/paulzimmerman

Just donated a few bucks -- thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Whoever made this for him should be losing sleep.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just noticed Robin Williams? The hell? John Lennon I can at least understand since he was an activist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just noticed Robin Williams? The hell? John Lennon I can at least understand since he was an activist.

Do you think Robin Williams should be in hell?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Henchman of Santa posted:

Having seen Patch Adams, I can only say: hell is too good for him.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I think Darren Rovell should be in hell

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I'd love it if Rovell took a look into the value he adds to ESPN's brand, and then he concludes that they should fire him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lennon also had a habit of beating the poo poo out of his first wife

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He'd be in Floyd Mayweather's heaven then.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

"Keep Jackson away from the putti, please..." - The Almighty

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Imagine an afterlife where all of the deceased greats play pick-up games all day. All of them in their athletic prime, never tiring. Stadiums are somehow constructed so that every spectator has their own version of an ideal view. There are no tickets, fans just walk in and enjoy the game. Free food is brought to their seats. The uniforms have no logos. There is no advertising to be found. Every single day is a different set of games with infinite combinations of teams and opponents. At the end of the day, fans mingle with athletes they spent their lives idolizing. None of this costs a dime as there is no need for money to exist.

This is Darren Rovell's hell.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

Imagine an afterlife where all of the deceased greats play pick-up games all day. All of them in their athletic prime, never tiring. Stadiums are somehow constructed so that every spectator has their own version of an ideal view. There are no tickets, fans just walk in and enjoy the game. Free food is brought to their seats. The uniforms have no logos. There is no advertising to be found. Every single day is a different set of games with infinite combinations of teams and opponents. At the end of the day, fans mingle with athletes they spent their lives idolizing. None of this costs a dime as there is no need for money to exist.

This is Darren Rovell's hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2VxpTMAbas

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I bet alot of other people in that photo beat their wives and children

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is Ray Charles still blind in heaven?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

General Dog posted:

Is Ray Charles still blind in heaven?

It looks like it, but at the end of the movie he lifts his shades and winks at the camera.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
In other news, the olympics are fine!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/29/rio-de-janeiro-mutilated-body-beach-olympics-volleyball?CMP=twt_gu

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I figured when you land and see this in the airport, you just kind of turn around and get back on the plane.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Honestly my first reaction is being impressed that Brazil protects that kind of speech. (Don't mean that to sound patronizing about a Latin country, just didn't know anything about their policies on that sort of thing.)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

I figured when you land and see this in the airport, you just kind of turn around and get back on the plane.

Say what you will about Qatar hosting the World Cup, but I guarantee you won't see this poo poo there.

midwat
May 6, 2007

General Dog posted:

Say what you will about Qatar hosting the World Cup, but I guarantee you won't see this poo poo there.

Only the pile of laborer bodies.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Honestly my first reaction is being impressed that Brazil protects that kind of speech. (Don't mean that to sound patronizing about a Latin country, just didn't know anything about their policies on that sort of thing.)

It's a little harder when the guys who would be breaking up the protest are holding up the sign.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not that the situation isn't bad, but isn't this the norm for reporters to poo poo on the host city before the games? They did the same thing before the Russia games that turned out fine. London was supposed to be dealing with an inevitable terrorist attack. China had all the reporters screaming about the air quality. Athens was not going to be ready either.

Just seems like every Olympics we get a bunch of clickbait about how the Games will be a disaster and none of it comes to fruition.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Brazil is going through some next level poo poo so this might be different

E: athletes from there are saying don't come it's real bad

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The guy from Detroit Sports Rag broke a story about 105.1 switching from sports to classic rock, and he lost his mind because the Detroit News' Tony Paul tweeted "@DetroitSportsRag broke the story first" instead of ".@DetroitSportsRag broke the story first"

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

It's a little harder when the guys who would be breaking up the protest are holding up the sign.
Ooooohhhhh yeah that makes sense

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Niwrad posted:

Not that the situation isn't bad, but isn't this the norm for reporters to poo poo on the host city before the games? They did the same thing before the Russia games that turned out fine. London was supposed to be dealing with an inevitable terrorist attack. China had all the reporters screaming about the air quality. Athens was not going to be ready either.

Just seems like every Olympics we get a bunch of clickbait about how the Games will be a disaster and none of it comes to fruition.

It is bad and the media does always focus on poo poo like this and then once the games being its largely forgotten. The problem with Brazil which slightly elevates the situation is normally you have an over domineering government sweeping things under the rug and pushing people out and forcing things to simply get done/hide stuff. Except right now the government is in shambles and they're kind of just throwing their arms up with a shrug.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I was gonna say all those places (outside London) have very serious issues that should be covered. Whether they happen or not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't pretend to know exactly what this means, but the acting governor declaring a state of financial disaster seems worse than what I remember from earlier olympics. Also doesn't seem exactly like clickbait and suspiciously like news.

quote:

Brazil is suffering the worst recession in decades and Rio's acting governor has declared a state of financial disaster this month, largely to bolster spending on security as the world's spotlight turns to the city.

"How are people going to feel protected in a city without security," Gov. Francisco Dornelles told Rio's O Globo newspaper. "We can have a great Olympics, but if some steps aren't taken, it can be a big failure."

Rio state has slashed budgets across the board, including that of the police. Helicopters have been grounded and more than half of the civil police's fleet of cars has been idled in a bid to save on gas. Even officers' salaries have been delayed.

I mean, yeah the facilities might all get built, but I get the feeling they're next to begging for money in the street in order to pay for silly things like police.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The guy from Detroit Sports Rag broke a story about 105.1 switching from sports to classic rock, and he lost his mind because the Detroit News' Tony Paul tweeted "@DetroitSportsRag broke the story first" instead of ".@DetroitSportsRag broke the story first"

this is amazing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A bunch of female athletes are either refusing to go or incredibly cautious about it because of what zika can and has done to pregnant women. One male athlete is freezing his sperm before he goes because he wants to ensure he can have a child with his wife without a threat of the virus. The bay for sailing events is literally filled with trash and human poo poo, and now a goddamn mutilated corpse. The Brazilian government as a whole is a complete disaster. Rio is literally a city at war with itself between cops and drug gangs.

Reporting on these things is not clickbait. Yeah, sensationalizing happens but this is on a whole other level. Brazil was barely prepared for the World Cup (and at least 3 of the stadiums are already in disrepair) and they've literally thrown up their hands and said "gently caress it".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The difference this year is that most of these other countries have at least had their poo poo together enough that they could pretend things were okay. That Brazil can't even pass off any semblance of not being a disaster is kind of worrying.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Didn't 105.1 get the contract to broadcast Lions games after 97.1 refused to fire Mike Valenti?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately no, they moved to WJR-AM 760. Would have been great karma though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So when does BRIC start dominating the century?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

General Dog posted:

The difference this year is that most of these other countries have at least had their poo poo together enough that they could pretend things were okay. That Brazil can't even pass off any semblance of not being a disaster is kind of worrying.

It probably doesn't help that they're in the middle of a coup