Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
99% of the time it's ego. Why take an iron when you can grab the driver and try and smash the poo poo out of it. It's something I've been guilty of in the past when I was young and wanted to get distance over the higher percentage shot. I always remember an old Jack video that my dad owned many years ago he kept on about playing the percentage game and it's something now that I have gotten back into the game have taken on board. The problem is people watch Day, Rory and DJ and think we'll they can smash it so why can't I.

For me I am lucky that I am tall and played to a decent level when I was younger at 33 with only a few rounds under my belt again I can get good distance as my swing is stuck in muscle memory for me. But more often than not with that distance I'll happily hit a long iron into a par 4 if it means I will avoid trouble rather than going into male ego mode and trying to beast it so I only have a wedge in.

The course I just joined has a hole that most guys take a 5 wood off the tee and end up in a similar situation to the par 4 described above but end up 2 feet below their ball hitting out really thick rough where as I'll take a 7 or 9 iron depending on how I'm striking it and put myself in the fairway with maybe only 10-20 metres less distance but with a much better angle into the green.

Some of the best golfers I ever played with were not big hitters but they could put the ball where they needed and then had a killer short game to close out the holes. Meanwhile back then I would out drive them by miles but would more often than not be hitting from the rough or have an impeded angle to the hole. The impetuousness of youth I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Course management is so important to a low score. Which, honestly, is part of what I really like about golf. Thinking my way around a course.

That being said, #nolayingup #lackspopcantplay hahaha

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

EnsGDT posted:

Where in your stance are you putting the ball when you hit your hybrids?

Middle. I swing them like irons.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I give you the 5th hole at Mountain View in Ewing, NJ

Plays 345 from the blues, 275 from the whites according to the card.

That picture doesn't really do justice to how steep that hill really is.

About 130 is as close as you can get before you're on a super steep hill yet people hit driver smack into that hill and have 80 or less in and more often than not end up with their second shot not making it to the green. From where that guy in the white is standing in the fairway you can't see the flagstick.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So again my own best judgement, I decided to work on the casting today. A random youtube search turned this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAcTOsQOlNA

I have no idea who this Asian Golf pro Aimee is, but she does videos in multiple languages (Japanese?) She has a way of explaining things is a way that I can completely understand it and this drill helped me a lot today at the range. Also, Ishe's a hottie. :love::love::love:

My only complaint now is that i'm taking deep divots after hitting the ball. (I'm not sure this is a bad thing)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Who was it in this thread that played "The Golf Club" ? I just bought it on steam yesterday for $7.49 (on sale) played a round and it's not bad. Swing animation is kinda crap and the commentary is laughably bad..biggest gripe with the game and pretty much all golf games that aren't tiger woods from 2010 and earlier is the putting, it's just so bad with no easy way to judge speed and distance it might go. Its almost as bad as that WGT crap, but at least you can move your aim around.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Haha, yeah The Golf Club can be fun, especially at that price point. Mostly I just like using the course builder to make impossible golf holes. Good luck hitting through the woods, jerks!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

daslog posted:

So again my own best judgement, I decided to work on the casting today. A random youtube search turned this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAcTOsQOlNA

I have no idea who this Asian Golf pro Aimee is, but she does videos in multiple languages (Japanese?) She has a way of explaining things is a way that I can completely understand it and this drill helped me a lot today at the range. Also, Ishe's a hottie. :love::love::love:

My only complaint now is that i'm taking deep divots after hitting the ball. (I'm not sure this is a bad thing)

This was helpful to me. I have been making some changes to get my take away less inside and achieving better alignment at the top but was struggling with how early to get my wrists set. She said to basically have them mostly set by half back and that made many things sync up better. Pretty much nailing the two things I was working on now.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

EnsGDT posted:

Haha, yeah The Golf Club can be fun, especially at that price point. Mostly I just like using the course builder to make impossible golf holes. Good luck hitting through the woods, jerks!

Apparently they are making a Golf Club 2 right now so maybe it will improve more. Is there any progression in the game like different golf clubs I can use etc or is it the same poo poo just different courses?

Edit: That's another problem is there is no clear indication of really anything. using mouse KB there are like 20 mapped keys, but the game only shows you like 10 of them on screen and there is no binding menu to let you know. The guy that made it had to post them all in the steam community for people.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Who was it in this thread that played "The Golf Club" ? I just bought it on steam yesterday for $7.49 (on sale) played a round and it's not bad. Swing animation is kinda crap and the commentary is laughably bad..biggest gripe with the game and pretty much all golf games that aren't tiger woods from 2010 and earlier is the putting, it's just so bad with no easy way to judge speed and distance it might go. Its almost as bad as that WGT crap, but at least you can move your aim around.

I played it on PS4 and love it. I hope they improve the online matchmaking(there basically is none) in the sequel. My brother had it and to play I had to start a round and then invite him into my round. Also no voice comm unless you were in a party outside of the game so hopefully they've improved their online stuff in the next version.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Apparently they are making a Golf Club 2 right now so maybe it will improve more. Is there any progression in the game like different golf clubs I can use etc or is it the same poo poo just different courses?

Edit: That's another problem is there is no clear indication of really anything. using mouse KB there are like 20 mapped keys, but the game only shows you like 10 of them on screen and there is no binding menu to let you know. The guy that made it had to post them all in the steam community for people.

Not sure, I'm on the PS4 version as well and the documentation is...light, at best.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Just saw that Kuchar wears skechers golf shoes. I didn't think he could get any cooler.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Some of his Skechers commercials are pretty funny, although some others miss the mark IMO. I always pull for him though since he's a Bridgestone dude and I love my J40 irons. Plus he just comes off as a super likeable guy.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I have really liked watching Kuchar. He seems super chill, and has had a really good year so far.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
There hasn't been a good golf game since hot shots golf came out forever ago. It's very silly but drat if it isn't the best video game golf from a gameplay perspective

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am basically the last remaining PS Vita owner and let me tell you I get a shitload of time on Hot Shots on long plane rides.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Today's round wasn't as good as the 88, but I hit two birdies. My driver failed me a bit on the back 9.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Unknownmass posted:

I have really liked watching Kuchar. He seems super chill, and has had a really good year so far.

I loved this shot of his last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pih4zBwYk8

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Unknownmass posted:

Just saw that Kuchar wears skechers golf shoes. I didn't think he could get any cooler.

This but the opposite.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thank you 30% off going out of business sale at Sports Authority.

All 3 boxes for $60

Also, got an email saying I was selected for Masters practice round tickets. There's no reason why I shouldn't buy these tickets and take my dad right? I've heard practice rounds are pretty awesome.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

thebushcommander posted:

Who was it in this thread that played "The Golf Club" ?

I'm one of the people, I've got it on PC and the XBone for some drat reason. Something I noticed: golf courses created on one platform can be played on the others. Some complexity is removed on consoles (courses I created on PC had fewer bunkers when played on console, and vice versa).

It plays a lot better with a controller, the swing mechanic is identical to Tiger Woods/Rory McIlroy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds is the only golf game you ever need.

OK mabne NES Open too.

Also I played in the rain today. Never again. Im a fair weather golfer and gently caress anyone that has a problem with it. :colbert:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Furnaceface posted:

Also I played in the rain today. Never again. Im a fair weather golfer and gently caress anyone that has a problem with it. :colbert:

There is no weather that isn't golf weather. I've played in snow, hail, rain, 40 mph winds, cold, hot. It's all golf weather. If the course is open, I'm playing.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I won't play with thunderstorms too close but yeah otherwise it's game on. Yesterday I played a few holes with one of the guys who does maintenance on the course and he commented on how there are days where the weather is miserable and I'm the only player they see out in it. I'm finally able to walk more than 18 holes now so my ankle is definitely strengthening, it starts getting sore enough after 20-24 holes that I can't go much further though.

First round of my club championship is tomorrow morning and I'm excited. My goals are to shoot lower than last year (78 and 80) and to not lose a single ball. A few skins wouldn't be bad either. The rain this week softened the course up just enough for it to be in great shape and the forecast for tomorrow and Sunday looks perfect.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Pussy.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Playing the first of 3 rounds to get handicapped tomorrow. Nervous and excited. Had to take my hybrid out to reduce temptation, hook machine.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I keep my own handicap. It's a simple enough thing to calculate with a google spreadsheet and I'm not a member of any club. Seemed like you had to pay to get an official one. Does anyone actually give a poo poo if it's done this way?

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Summit posted:

I keep my own handicap. It's a simple enough thing to calculate with a google spreadsheet and I'm not a member of any club. Seemed like you had to pay to get an official one. Does anyone actually give a poo poo if it's done this way?

It only matters if you want to enter a tournament or something, they aren't going to accept your google doc handicap. Some of the phone GPS/scorekeeper apps will also calculate an unofficial handicap for you, too.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
My irons were on fire today, hoooo buddy.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I couldn't hit my driver for poo poo, but I made up for it my crushing my 5-PW shots on approach. It was a nice day for some golf, boy, I tell you what

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
You get an official AGU handicap to be able to play in local club comps weekly. You can also participate in Penants (matchplay) between clubs and other events where you require a certain handicap or lower. You can enter the Vardon Trophy for example and it's held over 12 calendar months - stroke play tournaments that require 4 or lower to enter. Some clubs also require that you have held a handicap for a certain amount of time otherwise you're not let in.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Burlington coat factory hype = real. Had to go to the one about 20 mins away but picked these guys up today for $25!

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

You get an official AGU handicap to be able to play in local club comps weekly. You can also participate in Penants (matchplay) between clubs and other events where you require a certain handicap or lower. You can enter the Vardon Trophy for example and it's held over 12 calendar months - stroke play tournaments that require 4 or lower to enter. Some clubs also require that you have held a handicap for a certain amount of time otherwise you're not let in.

Yeah this is pretty much it. I don't get a chance to play during the week when you can get on for social rounds at the bigger clubs around here. Once I get my handicap I can play on Saturdays or Sundays club comps around my area. Without a handicap the only option is a really late start where I could maybe get 9 holes in before it's too dark to play in winter. Plus playing comp is fun, win some balls, a fancy little medal also meet new people as well.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Make sure you play in the Club Championships, good test to play 72 holes :)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

My irons were on fire today, hoooo buddy.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I couldn't hit my driver for poo poo, but I made up for it my crushing my 5-PW shots on approach. It was a nice day for some golf, boy, I tell you what

This was me today. Which is reverse from how Ive been playing all year. Normally Im great off the tee then turn into Duff McShanksalot and 3 putt my way to 100+ scores. Today I was topping the ball like mad off the tee with the driver and pull hooking my 5W when I tried to use that instead. At least I was hitting my irons good and my putting was great even if I left 10(!) putts inside of 4 inches. I was accurate as hell just always a bit short.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

Burlington coat factory hype = real. Had to go to the one about 20 mins away but picked these guys up today for $25!

They look sweet. Just what I'm after as I have Flyknit 4 runners which are comfy as gently caress. Which model are they?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

They look sweet. Just what I'm after as I have Flyknit 4 runners which are comfy as gently caress. Which model are they?
Those are the TW15's. You give up some traction and support, but they're supposed to be the most comfortable shoe you can get.

And since you're undoubtedly wondering, there is no TW16.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks, now to find size 13 :/

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Week first handicap card of three handed in and what a loving disaster. Shot 20 worse than my round last week and lost 3 balls on one hole. Drive OB, Provisional OB, 6th shot fatted into a dam, ended with a nice round 12 after then shanking a chip. Still 1 birdie apart from that but my chipping was an unmitigated disaster. Finished with a par on the 18th after finally hitting a decent chip. One of those days where nothing goes right for you and of course it happens on a handicap round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Don't sweat it, worst case you get a stupidly high handicap and dominate taking home your first monthly medal :)