Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
All Zelda games forevermore should be required to have Bomb Arrows, which was TP's greatest innovation. I hear that there is a sort of trick to accomplish a similar "bazooka" effect in Link's Awakening; I need to play that!

An another note, has anyone played the Four Swords game that was bundled on a GBA cart with a port of Link to the Past? Playing it unlocks a few things in LttP, and as I still have two GBAs I was thinking about hooking them up and clearing it so that I can enjoy the new content. I wasn't sure if Four Swords had a lot of live combat, which would make playing it solo basically impossible, or if it was more puzzle oriented and I might be able to BS my way through playing two Game Boys.

I also hope that they release Four Swords Anniversary Edition for download again sometime. I missed it both times that it's been offered previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

All Zelda games forevermore should be required to have Bomb Arrows, which was TP's greatest innovation. I hear that there is a sort of trick to accomplish a similar "bazooka" effect in Link's Awakening; I need to play that!

Bombs on A, bow on B. pressing them in quick succession, bombs right before bow.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The Bomb Arrow was straight up lifted from Link's Awakening. You had to have the bow and bombs equipped and then press both at the same time. It was an intentional bit of programming that had a few uses within the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anything in LA even tell you about bomb arrows?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nah, but San Francisco probably does give out warnings.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Nah, but San Francisco probably does give out warnings.

Please be safe this year and don't shoot your Bomb Arrows into the sky for the 4th of July celebrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm playing OoT3D for the first time, and am I getting old or did they make Ingo way harder to race? That fucker cuts me off worse than any inner-city cab I've ever driven behind :argh:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I'm playing OoT3D for the first time, and am I getting old or did they make Ingo way harder to race? That fucker cuts me off worse than any inner-city cab I've ever driven behind :argh:

Are you on Epona?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Are you on Epona?

It's been a while since I've played OoT, but not that long!

(Yes I am)

E: Got him in one last night.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 29, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

C-Euro posted:

It's been a while since I've played OoT, but not that long!

(Yes I am)

Okay, hug the wall then, and make sure you get an early lead on Ingo before slowing down your carrot usage.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Are you on Epona?

:laffo:

Willing to bet someone, somewhere, has succeeded on foot.

Backflip + bunny hood??

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

coffeecup posted:

Backflip + bunny hood??

Bunny Hood doesn't do anything in OoT, sadly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C-Euro posted:

Pace your Carrot usage, never use the last one or you'll slow down.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

coffeecup posted:

Backflip + bunny hood??

Is it possible to succeed in the terrible default horse he gives you? I once ran the race on that because I forgot to call over Epona before talking to Ingo again.

It uh... did not go well.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't think it's possible. The horse is slow and Ingo is a cheating bastard so he starts a second before you.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
The AI is pretty exploitable though. Regardless, I don't believe there's a case in the game for getting a non-Epona horse so it's pointless to try.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I read that you can win with a different horse, but you're still rewarded with Epona.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know you could even do the race with any horse other than Epona. I knew you could ride them in the pen but that was about it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is this the thread where I go to get help playing a Zelda game? Because there's two one treasure chest I'm trying to get in Twilight Princess HD, and GameFAQs is doing me no good.

The first chest is in Hyrule Field in Faron Province, under a wooden bridge behind the boards that make up the bridge.

The second chest is also in Hyrule Field, in the area just south of the exit/entrance to Castle Town, situated on top of a pillar (the pillar opposite the one you had to use the spinner on to get to the chest in the middle of the fountain) connected to the... archway... thing by a rope bridge.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 30, 2016

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bridge one you need the clawshot, 2nd one I think you have to hang by your hands and shuffle along the ledge, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

(Ed: and the wolf can tightrope-walk, in case you forgot that.)

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 30, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The hang by your hands one took me a while to figure out since I don't think you ever need to do that anywhere else except maybe the opening?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

There's another chest on one end of the bridge over Lake Hylia you have to do that to get to, and maybe one in the Lost Woods too?

But yeah, other than those it's hardly used at all.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I didn't know you could even do the race with any horse other than Epona. I knew you could ride them in the pen but that was about it.

Yeah, if you talk to Ingo while you're riding the default horse, he still challenges you to a race. The default horse sucks pretty bad, though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Runcible Cat posted:

There's another chest on one end of the bridge over Lake Hylia you have to do that to get to, and maybe one in the Lost Woods too?

But yeah, other than those it's hardly used at all.

Where are those? I might have missed them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Where are those? I might have missed them.
Lake Hylia one's in one of the windows of the big bridge tower (chicken guy end not chuchu end). Lost Woods one I'm not sure about; I may be misremembering the one in the ruins there you have to use the spinner to get to. But that series of ruined rooms the Skull Kid leads you to.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I've been having fun looking at the older overworld map, from the 2014 Game Awards vid of Miyamoto and Aonuma investigating a beacon. Like someone else in the thread mentioned, the Great Plateau fits in nicely, and the boundaries of undiscovered zones match the older map's features. So if there was significant overhaul to the game, evidence suggests that the geography was kept relatively intact.

Spoilered but extremely vague talk about area locations, if some don't want to know:
There is a lot of telling detail so far, because of 1.) E3 footage of stuff in the distance, as well as players tossing out beacons and 2.) topographic info in the 2014 map. From the plateau you can actually see many of the major mountains spread around the outer edges of the full map.

I'm not saying all secrets are revealed. There are still areas hidden while viewing from the plateau (such as the southwest corner, land behind the split mountain, both coasts, and "skull" lake if it still exists). And obviously no up close detail is visible. I just think it's interesting that you begin the game with line of sight to a large proportion of the game world. Makes sense given how much Nintendo wants to encourage non-linear exploration. I wanna visit the tall red cliffs west of the plateau and see if that weird circular pit is still in the game. I can't stop imagining a cool hidden village or a boss fight like the gecko in Shadow of the Colossus.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 3, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm going to create a launch pad to outer space on Skull Lake

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lemming posted:

I'm going to create a launch pad to outer space on Skull Lake

Please capture this footage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm watching Four Swords Adventures on Summer Games Done Quick right now, and man this game is insane. If it had online co-op, it would probably be one of the best regarded multiplayer games of all time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Please capture this footage.

I will, but I'll be taking it with me, to outer space

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mark Brown, the guy behind Game Maker's Toolkit, is doing a series on the dungeons of The Legend of Zelda games.

So far he's covered A Link to the Past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouO1R6vFDBo

And Link's Awakening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AezAN2RcO8Y

Up next is Ocarina.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

I'm watching Four Swords Adventures on Summer Games Done Quick right now, and man this game is insane. If it had online co-op, it would probably be one of the best regarded multiplayer games of all time.

It bugs me that they never made a followup (Triforce Heroes doesn't count), especially once they released a console with a second-screen controller as a core feature.. Even just a port of the game for Wii using Wii/DS connectivity back when both were ubiquitous would have been fine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It bugs me that they never made a followup (Triforce Heroes doesn't count), especially once they released a console with a second-screen controller as a core feature.. Even just a port of the game for Wii using Wii/DS connectivity back when both were ubiquitous would have been fine.

The thing that bothers me is the game doesn't need a second screen controller, at all. This is what online multiplayer was invented for, a decade before this game came out. And now it's a decade later.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 5, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Mark Brown, the guy behind Game Maker's Toolkit, is doing a series on the dungeons of The Legend of Zelda games.

So far he's covered A Link to the Past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouO1R6vFDBo

And Link's Awakening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AezAN2RcO8Y

Up next is Ocarina.

Just stumbled across this guy independently, the Link's Awakening video is enlightening for pointing out how many "Zelda Traditions" started with Link's Awakening instead of Link to the Past.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, having never played Link's Awakening, I was genuinely surprised at how much it contributed to the template of later games.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I like how he uses that LttP ice dungeon puzzle everyone seems to hate as an example of good dungeon design.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Carbon dioxide posted:

I like how he uses that LttP ice dungeon puzzle everyone seems to hate as an example of good dungeon design.

I'm just now finishing a playthrough of LttP, and I went and got the Cane of Somaria before I ever set foot in the Ice Palace largely because I didn't want to deal with that bollocks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm just now finishing a playthrough of LttP, and I went and got the Cane of Somaria before I ever set foot in the Ice Palace largely because I didn't want to deal with that bollocks.

This is the proper puzzle solution.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just finished the MM Stone dungeon for the first time, the gravity flip is a cool mechanic. It's too bad that the 4 dungeons feel pretty abbreviated to me, I assume due to the 3-day time limit. Felt like a big complex thing was about to kickoff with lots of flipping, but then I only had to do it like twice before I beat the boss and one of those was just for fairies.

I'd never done that or Great Bay water Temple, but they didn't quite exceed Water and Spirit from OoT. I'm also replaying WW at the same time, really enjoy the Deku Leaf but again after beating the Tower and realizing I only have 2 big dungeons left + the final one, it does feel short. OoT feels about right in length to me I guess, TP felt a little long but I haven't replayed since 2007 so I'm curious to see if my opinion changes. MM has some pretty fun stuff between levels though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Triskelli posted:

Just stumbled across this guy independently, the Link's Awakening video is enlightening for pointing out how many "Zelda Traditions" started with Link's Awakening instead of Link to the Past.

I see Ocarina of Time as a combination of Link to the Past's overall plot structure with a lot of Link's Awakening's approach to the actual content.