Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
But Asiina was really the only one close to pushing the lynch, and there is nothing in there to call her scum except for a meta read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Your Personal Muse posted:

But Asiina was really the only one close to pushing the lynch, and there is nothing in there to call her scum except for a meta read.

Pushing a joke lynch is not a town tell, even if it was on a scumbo.

Think about it.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

Pushing a joke lynch is not a town tell, even if it was on a scumbo.

Think about it.

I guess generally speaking, but I think in this particular game, with the way Asiina went about it where it was a joke but it was a joke that would induce people to vote, it is.

Like a jokevote normally does not induce people to vote. But this one did. I think that difference makes it a town tell.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I guess generally speaking, but I think in this particular game, with the way Asiina went about it where it was a joke but it was a joke that would induce people to vote, it is.

Like a jokevote normally does not induce people to vote. But this one did. I think that difference makes it a town tell.

I think the reception of a post is not something someone can control.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok I'm a lot less sold on AA now. I still don't like his big freakout but now that I'm actually thinking of what a nexus is he makes a lot more sense

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

I think the reception of a post is not something someone can control.

So if I were to push the lynch of literally every scum but one and get them lynched, I would not be town because I couldn't guarantee people would vote for me? That's kind of dumb.

Of course you can't control it, but if you push for it than your intention becomes clear. Her intention was to both make a joke AND to actively push a Jimson lynch.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

So if I were to push the lynch of literally every scum but one and get them lynched, I would not be town because I couldn't guarantee people would vote for me? That's kind of dumb.

Of course you can't control it, but if you push for it than your intention becomes clear. Her intention was to both make a joke AND to actively push a Jimson lynch.

Well I thought you were saying that there are joke votes and then there are joke votes that get traction. I was saying that a joke vote is a joke vote no matter if the lynch it pushes gains traction.

If a scum joke voted a teammate and it gained traction, then what are they to do other than continue to push that lynch? They can't suddenly go against it without bringing suspicion upon themselves, so they go forward with it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This makes a lot of sense, actually. Can't see her making that play as scum.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MG3 posted:

If a scum joke voted a teammate and it gained traction, then what are they to do other than continue to push that lynch? They can't suddenly go against it without bringing suspicion upon themselves, so they go forward with it.

Seems like Jimson gets voted out pretty early most games, though, so that would not be the joke vote I'd make in her spot with Jimson on her team, theoretically.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

IllegallySober posted:

Seems like Jimson gets voted out pretty early most games, though, so that would not be the joke vote I'd make in her spot with Jimson on her team, theoretically.

Is that true? I've not played enough recently to know any metas

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

Well I thought you were saying that there are joke votes and then there are joke votes that get traction. I was saying that a joke vote is a joke vote no matter if the lynch it pushes gains traction.

It didn't gain traction accidentally. She joined the lynch and then pushed it at a time when it was most likely to fail (at -1) in a way that, while in the form of a joke, was actively seeking to lynch Jimson. She didn't vote, it gain traction, and then she pushed it after that, it already had traction and she basically made it a sure thing.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

Is that true? I've not played enough recently to know any metas

Jimson is a poo poo player who I think in one game listed all of his scum team. That's why I was saying earlier that I do not believe that the scum team would have a problem losing Jimson, which is why I don't give Asiina a ton of town cred for pushing the lynch.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

It didn't gain traction accidentally. She joined the lynch and then pushed it at a time when it was most likely to fail (at -1) in a way that, while in the form of a joke, was actively seeking to lynch Jimson. She didn't vote, it gain traction, and then she pushed it after that, it already had traction and she basically made it a sure thing.

Yeah but what would a scum member have done differently? Lurk?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
guys i think li died irl cuz she's lurking in all her games

stay safe li dawny ghost

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Jimson is a poo poo player who I think in one game listed all of his scum team. That's why I was saying earlier that I do not believe that the scum team would have a problem losing Jimson, which is why I don't give Asiina a ton of town cred for pushing the lynch.

Which game did he do that in, that sounds like it was probably pretty funny.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

MG3 posted:

Which game did he do that in, that sounds like it was probably pretty funny.

NYC '77 I think?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Absurd Revolver posted:

NYC '77 I think?

Was that a wins32767 game?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

Yeah but what would a scum member have done differently? Lurk?

Probably. Lurking isn't the term I would use to describe it, but if she had waited an hour or two before posting, it wouldn't look bad if she took the whole thing as a joke because by that time the steam would have probably ran out. She could have also just voted instead of doing the joke push, and hope that no one would be willing to have the "weight" of the hammer on them.

But that push allowed someone an easy way to hammer Jimson. If I'm remembering correctly, I think the last person hammered without mentioning Asiina but having someone you can "blame", even as town, makes hammering early alot easier.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Absurd Revolver posted:

guys i think li died irl cuz she's lurking in all her games

stay safe li dawny ghost

rip

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Probably. Lurking isn't the term I would use to describe it, but if she had waited an hour or two before posting, it wouldn't look bad if she took the whole thing as a joke because by that time the steam would have probably ran out. She could have also just voted instead of doing the joke push, and hope that no one would be willing to have the "weight" of the hammer on them.

But that push allowed someone an easy way to hammer Jimson. If I'm remembering correctly, I think the last person hammered without mentioning Asiina but having someone you can "blame", even as town, makes hammering early alot easier.

Actually, if we're being technical, I'm pretty sure the hammering vote was mine, and we already went over my logic for that.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, I'm out all day and now there's 250 posts.

I will catch up but I will not be able to post a single time tomorrow as it's Canada Day and I plan on being out and having fun.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

My imaginary friend died the other day, jokes about death are not cool

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Asiina posted:

I will catch up but I will not be able to post a single time tomorrow as it's Canada Day and I plan on being out and having fun.

Canada day? sounds made up

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Asiina posted:

Have a happy Canada Day :canada:

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

IllegallySober posted:

Actually, if we're being technical, I'm pretty sure the hammering vote was mine, and we already went over my logic for that.

I don't actually remember your logic and I don't care. Its irrelevant if you used Asiina as a reason. I am saying that someone could have used it.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I don't actually remember your logic and I don't care. Its irrelevant if you used Asiina as a reason. I am saying that someone could have used it.

Its not relevant to this argument no, but it is relevant.

IllegallySober posted:

Pretend I "forgot" about your logic behind that vote would you mind restating it for me?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

True

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Looking at your post history, IS, it doesn't seem like you explained it at all

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

This is being posted in all of my games, I'm sorry if you read it more than once:

I want to apologize deeply to the mods of the games I'm in, I know how frustrating it can be to have a player who's not active.

I also want to apologize to the players for not being around for scum hunting or playing in general, I had an amazingly lovely day and I promise that I'm trying to catch up starting now.

If anyone would like to be my new favorite person/people a summery of what's happened and any cases being brought up that I can weigh in on would be super appreciated, but not absolutely necessary as I can catch up on my own it'll just take a bit longer. If anyone has any questions for me I will do my best to answer them as quickly as I can.

Again, I am more sorry than I know how to express to a large group of people on the Internet, please forgive me.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Li Dawny posted:

This is being posted in all of my games, I'm sorry if you read it more than once:

I want to apologize deeply to the mods of the games I'm in, I know how frustrating it can be to have a player who's not active.

I also want to apologize to the players for not being around for scum hunting or playing in general, I had an amazingly lovely day and I promise that I'm trying to catch up starting now.

If anyone would like to be my new favorite person/people a summery of what's happened and any cases being brought up that I can weigh in on would be super appreciated, but not absolutely necessary as I can catch up on my own it'll just take a bit longer. If anyone has any questions for me I will do my best to answer them as quickly as I can.

Again, I am more sorry than I know how to express to a large group of people on the Internet, please forgive me.

I claimed watcher and said that everyone except AA visited the LR. There was no NK so I assumed (incorrectly) that meant AA was the scum who withheld his action. Jake also cased AA because AA was not around for the turbo. AA flipped out so some people think he is scum for that but in my opinion the flip out seems genuine in hindsight but you might want to read it. Other than that not much.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Haha don't be sorry this is a game. Reading just this page and maybe the one preceding it would be more than enough to get yourself caught up in this game. Those two pages are a microcosm of the feelings of the thread up to this point

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

Haha don't be sorry this is a game. Reading just this page and maybe the one preceding it would be more than enough to get yourself caught up in this game. Those two pages are a microcosm of the feelings of the thread up to this point

This is probably fair

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Well I was talking to TPink, but again, the first wiki that pops up when you type mafia nexus into google mentions it is a pro scum role, and if you use your noggin, redirecting ALL actions, including investigative actions, induces chaos and hurts the town. The fact that he is a nexus does not sway me one way or another.

I would like to know why, if he believed Rarity was scum, he redirected all actions toward rarity. If rarity performed the night kill and a tracker tracked it, or was scum and got copped, AA would come up scum. And investigative actions are much more likely than killing actions (at least the way I see it). It makes more sense for scum, knowing this is a role heavy game, to blow their one shot nexus the first night to hopefully get a false positive one someone else than town to do so.

I'm still catching up and writing a big post with all my opinions but goddamnit YPM Rarity and I aren't the same person!

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Asiina posted:

I'm still catching up and writing a big post with all my opinions but goddamnit YPM Rarity and I aren't the same person!

Doubtful

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Li Dawny, no worries, life happens and these are just games. :)

MG3 posted:

Pretend I "forgot" about your logic behind that vote would you mind restating it for me?

Sure.

I actually didn't realize my vote was the hammer when I made it, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference to me if I had known that.

That early in the game, I figured random was random and unlike other games I've been in, that turbo, or whatever you want to call it, seemed like it had a decent chance of succeeding. I'm not much for the joke-phase anyway because I really don't know how to read it well. I knew there were enough votes that if I threw my vote on the pile it had a decent chance of success and absent any other info, I figured we'd get the day over with, see how the whole re-direction thing shook out, and perhaps we'd get lucky and catch a scum. Rightly or wrongly, my opinion of Jimson based on the games I've seen led me to believe we weren't really losing a strong player either way so I didn't mind making the vote.

Also, FYI, I'm at the Mariners game this evening so I won't have much of a chance to check in until later, other than the next few minutes.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
IS seemed awfully worried about a vote no one really cares that much about

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IS seemed awfully worried about a vote no one really cares that much about

I was asked to explain. I explained. I'm not the least bit worried about that vote.

It caught scum, why would I be worried about it?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My thoughts:

I haven't changed my opinion on AA. Him missing the turbo is still suspicious as hell. The whole nexus thing I feel is a red herring because he could be telling the truth and it could have not been seen but that still doesn't make him town. That's mod speculation and I don't like getting into what mods would or wouldn't do. I agree with most of this post

I'm inclined to agree. I think his case on Kash doesn't make much sense and comes more from acting more than anything else and like I said before, he is mad that he is not getting cased "correctly" (because he actually did target asiina and was legitimately not here for the turbo) and that he is getting lynched so early rather than getting mislynched as town.

I think not posting right when the turbo was happening was a conscious decision that he was rightly called out for, but that the nexus stuff was what was true and that's why he was so focused on that and got mad when he was getting voted because of it. The fact that he calmed down later doesn't change the fact that this temper tantrum happened and it was way over the top for the amount of pressure he was getting. I believe it was real anger, but for different reasons than he was saying.

MG3 posted:

I posted it on purpose, I was aware Jimson was scum.

I was semi-facetiously posting that I thought he was scum. I did intend it as a joke, but also as a litmus test of sorts, to see who's actually reading posts closely.

This is stupid as hell and I do not believe it. It was obviously a joke that you included Jimson, why try to pass it off as some sort of TRAP SPRUNG! Most of Magnus' posts have been exceedingly stupid in a way that makes me think he's trying to post without actually having to contribute. His vote on me is the worst too since it's not about me it's about Jake and in a way that doesn't even make sense as distancing? Kashuno's vote is based on outdated meta and the other two are completely contentless from a shitposter and the voteleader, but this one is just poor reasoning all round. Would vote.

I'd also vote for Allen Wren for his big useless post that he never came back to expand on. I'm not going to quote it, but I'll quote Kash's response since I agree with it.

Kashuno posted:

"Sure wouldn't be surprised if this guy is town...I'm gonna vote him!!"

This is illogical and shows AW is just tying to say words and look like they're thinking critically when really they're just spouting nothings. Notice how he he goes out of his way to hint that MG will probably flip town, and is voting them based on...being dumb? I don't get what he's trying to say about Jimson and mentioning him at all is obfuscation because he was a d1 turbo there isn't much to get off of that. No idea why that points to YPM. How can you "not like an argument" when you are the only person making it? If you don't like it, why mention it at all? To say words with no meaning. He then makes a lurker call out less than 24 hours into d2 after a fast d1 turbo, and it, again, apparently has no relevance to anything since AW doesn't see it as meaningful.

##vote AW

There's a bunch of people making sideline type posts without really saying anything that I'd be willing to vote for like dongsbot, tpink, IllegallySober, and Li Dawny, but I'd much rather AA, Magnus or Allen Wren (in that order).

People I like for town:

TNL
YPM
JakeP
Kashuno

I feel like they've been making good cases, but also trying to push other people into providing content or reacting to things. It's not just casing for the sake of casing, but asking people's reactions to their cases.

Finally as much as I'd like to take some sort of credit for the Jimson lynch, I was voting because turbos are fun and I was posting music because I ended up with a hundred tabs of youtube videos open and I like annoying people by posting music that is interesting to me. It wasn't really designed to make people vote Jimson more since, as evidenced by the fact that I kept posting them in twilight, the hammer didn't stop me. I just wanted to post music and join a turbo, they were separate reasons. :toot:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I missed this post I opened in another tab.

Retro Futurist posted:

##vote AA It's the one shot that does it for me. I could almost believe the rest, but him calling it one shot sounds too much like a bluff

I don't like this vote because whenever there's pretty good cases already existing on someone but someone comes in and votes because of some other reason it just reads as wanting to look like they're contributing something new while still just going along with the flow. It feels fake.

Not enough for me to vote Opop over others, but still a bad post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

People I like for town:

TNL
YPM
JakeP
Kashuno