Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ian Darke making GBS threads all over England once it became clear that they won't come back might be the most I ever laughed at a sports broadcast.

They were saying poo poo like "Roy Hodgson is looking for a new job right now" like 40 minutes before Hodgson actually resigned, it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, the entire second half was just him and McManaman dropping burn after burn on England. Darke was doing his damndest to try to sound unbiased until about the 60th minute, and you could hear him hit a tipping point. Steve had given up long before and was varying degrees of incredulous ever since about the 30th. It was amazing stuff.

E: In other news, Barry Melrose will call the lead World Cup of Hockey games with Steve Levy. Thank gently caress.

The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad John Buccigross will drive Kevin Weekes nuts on the other games. Do yourself a favor and mute those.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 28, 2016

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"It appears as though every player on England has decided to play the worst game of their lives today"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Dunks are objectively the best thing in sports so that seems about right

The puny dunk pales in comparison to the mighty home run slam

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Speaking of Iceland beating England:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/iceland-commentator-england_us_57727532e4b0f168323adaec

What a call.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Speaking of Iceland beating England:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdNdBKHUbM

What a call.

Someone translated him dropping fantastic bombs on England when it ended:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad John Buccigross will drive Kevin Weekes nuts on the other games. Do yourself a favor and mute those.

Oh my god when they had Buccigross doing the Frozen Four games it was the worst thing ever. He sucks at PBP and he has a weird boner for college hockey like Pierre McGuire does for juniors.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh my god when they had Buccigross doing the Frozen Four games it was the worst thing ever. He sucks at PBP and he has a weird boner for college hockey like Pierre McGuire does for juniors.
Did Gary Thorne die or something? :ohdear:

I hope Gary Thorne didn't die.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

naw.

calling orioles games.

NBC needs to hire him though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't know if ESPN is trying to get Trey Wingo to replace Mike Tirico on their tennis coverage, but he called a highlights package yesterday with 2 analysts and twice mispronounced the easy name of a former #1, twice used the completely wrong name of the American who just finished the match that was their lead-in, and twice referred to it as "the Wimbledon Championships" when you absolutely should call it "the Championships, Wimbledon" or just "Wimbledon".

I'm not sure who should be more embarassed: ESPN for putting someone on who clearly doesn't even follow the sport, his producer for not making sure he was prepared, or he himself for being so unprepared.

Also lol that he referred to it as the Super Bowl of tennis, as if people watching were unfamiliar with Wimbledon or even care about an entirely American event.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 29, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gary Thorne is pushing 70. I love his voice as much as anyone but odds are he wants to stick to baseball at this point.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I felt bad for him the first time he showed up in the Frozen Four coverage since he was clearly green as hell and hadn't done much PBP before, if at all, and ESPN just kinda chucked him out there and Melrose did all he could to cover for him. It's years later though and he hasn't improved one bit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Robnoxious posted:

I'm one of those weird people who can't stand Gary Thorne. He's just so smarmy. Dave Strader was the superior ESPN hockey pbp guy, but that could also be my PASS Sports bias showing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nah that's fair. Dave Strader is fantastic.

E: This also made me think of that amazing time Gary Thorne put his golf announcer voice on for that Orioles game with the empty stadium

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
No, Gary Thorne is god.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know if ESPN is trying to get Trey Wingo to replace Mike Tirico on their tennis coverage, but he called a highlights package yesterday with 2 analysts and twice mispronounced the easy name of a former #1, twice used the completely wrong name of the American who just finished the match that was their lead-in, and twice referred to it as "the Wimbledon Championships" when you absolutely should call it "the Championships, Wimbledon" or just "Wimbledon".

I'm not sure who should be more embarassed: ESPN for putting someone on who clearly doesn't even follow the sport, his producer for not making sure he was prepared, or he himself for being so unprepared.

Also lol that he referred to it as the Super Bowl of tennis, as if people watching were unfamiliar with Wimbledon or even care about an entirely American event.

I know you want to feel euro outraged or whatever, but the "SB of tennis" is an ok analogy for a football announcer talking to an American audience on an American network that is heavily football centered. Outside of the Williamses and maybe Federer, tennis is a pretty marginal sport in the US. I honestly think ESPN would get better ratings showing NFL OTAs than tennis.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

twice referred to it as "the Wimbledon Championships" when you absolutely should call it "the Championships, Wimbledon"

I'm genuinely glad that he didn't call it "the Championships, Wimbledon" because that would be unbelievably pretentious.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Josh Lyman my dude nobody watches tennis in the USA so they're trying to pull in new viewers.

And the Championships, Wimbeldon sounds so douchy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I thought the second episode of Simmons' show was significantly better than the first. Not sure if I'm in the minority though.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Josh Lyman posted:

I want to print this post out and frame it. "The Championships, Wimbledon" my god.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

tenspott posted:

I honestly think ESPN would get better ratings showing NFL OTAs than tennis.

Is there any doubt?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don't give a poo poo about tennis, but bill simmons has pronounced wimbledon as "wimbleton" forever and i should be allowed to reach through a computer and strangle him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Akileese posted:

I thought the second episode of Simmons' show was significantly better than the first. Not sure if I'm in the minority though.

Any guesses as to who the dead owner was that berated Cuban?

For those who didn't watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJ0DC8WI1E

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Is there any doubt?
NFL anything would get better ratings than anything else. Hell, I'd at least put practice on in the background.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Do you pronounce the comma in "The Championships, Wimbledon"?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Niwrad posted:

Any guesses as to who the dead owner was that berated Cuban?

For those who didn't watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJ0DC8WI1E

Off the top of my head I think the Pistons owner is the only one that has died since he bought the Mavs.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Do you pronounce the comma in "The Championships, Wimbledon"?

The comma is pronounced as a short snort directed at your valet.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the championships, wimbledon

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Off the top of my head I think the Pistons owner is the only one that has died since he bought the Mavs.

Jerry Buss too. Maybe others, but I don't follow nba ownership all that closely.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think you'll find those are the Aegon Championships at Queen's Club. :colbert:

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

howe_sam posted:

Jerry Buss too. Maybe others, but I don't follow nba ownership all that closely.

Abe Pollin

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
this is some great discussion about The Championships, Wimbleton.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I heard the Wimbleton is the Stanley Cup of the tennis world. Confirm? Deny?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Metapod posted:

I heard the Wimbleton is the Stanley Cup of the tennis world. Confirm? Deny?

It is the Stanley Cup of the tennis world, because you can drink out of the trophies.

I'm sorry, I meant The Trophies, Wimbledon.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the championships, wimbledon is going to be the hottest sas meme of the summer

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The Championships, Wimbledon V's

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

This may be the most Person, English ever depicted

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

He did say the owner sold the team though. One of the former owners of the Nets died in a plane crash a couple years ago. Can't think of anyone else who would fit in that description though.

Also when I searched for "Atlanta Hawks ownership" the first result was a photo of Lebron James playing the violin.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

the championships, wimbledon is going to be the hottest sas meme of the summer

Is the burnt steak too specific to TFF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

He did say the owner sold the team though. One of the former owners of the Nets died in a plane crash a couple years ago. Can't think of anyone else who would fit in that description though.

Also when I searched for "Atlanta Hawks ownership" the first result was a photo of Lebron James playing the violin.

Aubrey McClendon died in March in a car crash too (though he was minority owner). Man a fair amount of NBA owners have passed away in the last 5-10 years. More than I figured would have once I started listing people off.