Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Because the most logical thing to do during a Steam sale is to buy a full price game, I ended up buying the new Hitman.

Within a few minutes, I drowned a guy in the toilet and stole his hat. Due to my wearing his hat, I was indistinguishable from him to people who had greeted him moments ago.

I love Hitman.

Hitman is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Steam, why is Salt and Sanctuary listed under Casual games? It's even tagged difficult!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Holy poo poo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I was enjoying Saints Row 4 so far, for what it's worth, but for some reason the game hard crashes my GPU every single time in the same spot. Some googling shows an old issue with AMD cards but that can't still be going on I should think??

edit: The game runs absolutely fine on every graphic setting, but then just crashes so hard that the system loses video and I have to hard reset it. Always happens at the same spot trying to get to Kinsie's hideout. Bizarre.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 30, 2016

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Looks like Giger influences too, especially near the end.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bruteman posted:

Why bother, the best Giger game has already been made.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid posted:

I was enjoying Saints Row 4 so far, for what it's worth, but for some reason the game hard crashes my GPU every single time in the same spot. Some googling shows an old issue with AMD cards but that can't still be going on I should think??

edit: The game runs absolutely fine on every graphic setting, but then just crashes so hard that the system loses video and I have to hard reset it. Always happens at the same spot trying to get to Kinsie's hideout. Bizarre.

This problem was fixed by running the game windowed to get past that point and it's fine again :confused:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

StrixNebulosa posted:

Steam, why is Salt and Sanctuary listed under Casual games? It's even tagged difficult!
If you get enough friends together you can tag random indie games anything you'd like.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bruteman posted:

Giger's environments with Beksinski's textures and Cronenberg's guns and animations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Palpek posted:

Giger's environments with Beksinski's textures and Cronenberg's guns and animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

probably because users make the tags

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LEGO Star Wars The Force Awakens is probably my favorite LEGO game ever and I've only played it for about an hour and change, it's just so polished mechanically and surprisingly great looking.
Charming to boot, had a few laughs already.

They really do get better with every release. :allears:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Very Giger-esque, but not enough penises. Looks neato whatever it is.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Waffle! posted:

Very Giger-esque, but not enough penises. Looks neato whatever it is.

Just add your own!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

duckfarts posted:

Just add your own!

day 1 on the Nexus, guaranteed

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Anybody want to be Lost Planet 2 buddies with me this weekend? The game seems rather diminished playing offline, but pick-up games seem prone to somebody blaring music through their microphone. I think they don't even have to be in-game. You can just sit in a lobby while people are playing, and I don't think anyone can mute or kick you out without ending their game.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Is there a way to make inventory management not clunky in DA:I, or did they seriously manage to recreate the success that was ME1 inventory elegance?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

InfiniteZero posted:

Because the most logical thing to do during a Steam sale is to buy a full price game, I ended up buying the new Hitman.

Within a few minutes, I drowned a guy in the toilet and stole his hat. Due to my wearing his hat, I was indistinguishable from him to people who had greeted him moments ago.

I love Hitman.

Hitman is good.

Confirming. I was worried about the setup of the game, with its episodes and “live” content, but… it's good. The format allows them to play around a lot more while not wrecking the core gameplay. Escalation contracts that demand that you go all-out massmurdering psycho (with a viking axe); others that require you to not hurt anyone; others demanding stealth above all; some require very specific steps, while others are entirely open, and in general there are still always multiple fun ways of solving any given problem.

Even the more spoiler:y information and UI bits (that can be turned off) that might sour old-school players make sense from a good-gameplay perspective and they've chosen pretty well how much to give away in each case with these info screens. There are some challenges that just consist of a bad pun and a visual hint as to what needs to be done where, but there is nothing to tell you how to actually set up all the coincidences required to have it all play out.

There are some bugs and quirks (certain equipment triggering a “spotted” response through walls), but it's still all good — some of it even works to your advantage. Even when things don't work properly, it never really veers into annoying or frustrating territory.

This is looking to be a 100% achievement game for me; not because I chase achievements, but because there's just so much fun to do and they'll just eventually unlock on their own. And with a new elusive target coming tomorrow, there's still more mans to hit…

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Who is ready to Drawful some terrible pictures?!

https://www.twitch.tv/ragequitsa

Something came up. Will host another time.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 1, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I meant to post this this morning, but I did some PC upgrades last night and forgot to sync my files. So unprofessional!

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
13. Knights and Merchants
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
17. Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery
18. Cultures - Northland
19. Majesty Gold HD
20. Cities in Motion 2
21. Stronghold Crusader HD
22. Grand Ages: Rome
23. Triple Town
24. Tropico 3
25. Cities XL Platinum
26. Patrician IV
27. Majesty 2
28. Stronghold 2 / Stronghold Legends
29. Prison Architect

30. Gnomoria

Ever heard of a little game called Dwarf Fortress? It cast a long shadow for a one-man ASCII project, but if you could get past the atrocious interface it was a bewilderingly deep fantasy sim. Unique projects like that tend to attract imitators, and that's where we get Gnomoria from. But don't write that off as a bad thing just yet, because there's plenty of room to fiddle with the original formula.

Gnomoria plops you in the middle of the wilderness with a band of eight stubby settlers and a few supplies. From this humble beginning it's up to you to help your little friends find food, shelter, and purpose in life. There are extensive commands to have them effect change in the world around them, including numerous digging options, room designations, workshop placements, and foraging orders. You might notice there are no direct movement or action commands, and that's because everything in this style of sim is treated like an open order. When you mark walls to be tunneled through, one of your gnomes that can mine and has nothing better to do will scoot over and start tunneling for you.

You have further control over the order system by assigning jobs to your petite populace. There are several roles like Woodsman and Miner that can be further customized with granular tasks like "hauling wood" or "stonecarving", giving you full control over the workday. Of course, your gnomes will wander off to find food or drink or catch a nap if their needs persist, but they tend to be diligent enough in their tasks to not cause any headaches.

What WILL cause you headaches is the steep learning curve in Gnomoria. I know all of this sounds simple thus far, but the amount of production systems to come to grips with is staggering. The number of workshops alone is utterly gobsmacking, including professions like bone carving and weaving. Production chains can be frustratingly complex, and the best example of this is making a single bed. A bed is made from a frame and a mattress at a carpentry workshop. The frame is made from planks cut at the sawmill from logs felled outside. The mattress is made from cloth woven by your tailor, using cotton grown on a farm and a bone needle from your bone carver obtained by slaughtering animals. Thus to make a single bed, you need four different workshops processing goods from forests, farms, and livestock.

There are helpful tooltips that will explain where to get component materials, at least, and if you have all the workshops set up then materials will be auto-queued when ordering a finished product. Little quality of life features like this help make Gnomoria easier to come to grips with, but it's still very much a game that requires a wiki. A tutorial walking you through the foundations of production would be a godsend, and it's a shame that will likely never happen.

You'll run into other difficulties like trying to dig stairs and ramps in the chunky isometric interface, or rooms not functioning and not really getting any feedback why. However, I maintain that there's enough charm and variety to keep you pushing through the rough spots. You are given impressive reign to tunnel and build as you see fit, and sprawling underground kingdoms are not out of the question. It never quite reaches the bar set by Dwarf Fortress, as you don't have a wider world to explore past your immediate map and your gnomes don't have the psychotically detailed personalities of DF inhabitants, but the accessibility goes a long way towards balancing that out. Gnomoria makes a great entry point for this particular brand of ultra-detailed sim, with enough features and polish to keep you digging for hours.

I'll be back in a bit to wrap up the series proper-like.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

um

what

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gnomoria is a good DF-lite. It can be just as unforgiving, as well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Tony Abbott, did YOU murder Rita?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I liked Gnomoria because the interface wasn't completely loving obtuse or ugly as poo poo, huge advantages over Dwarf Fortress

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Is there a way to make inventory management not clunky in DA:I, or did they seriously manage to recreate the success that was ME1 inventory elegance?

Nope. It's loving appalling and most of the reason I didn't bother with crafting.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

What the gently caress happened to this game? I remember the original The Ship being kinda...classy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yodzilla posted:

What the gently caress happened to this game? I remember the original The Ship being kinda...classy.
Ship hit the fan.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Postal 2 updates just keep coming.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
18. Cultures - Northland
19. Majesty Gold HD
20. Cities in Motion 2
23. Triple Town
24. Tropico 3
25. Cities XL Platinum
26. Patrician IV
27. Majesty 2
29. Prison Architect
30. Gnomoria

So that's it. 32 sims over 30 days, and I have to say I'm still feeling good. Those indie platformers in February burned me out pretty bad, but city builders generally don't have that problem of being tuned to difficult. The genre thrives more on letting people chill and do what they want, and most of the entries this month stuck to that ideal. Older sims tend to suffer more than other genres, I think because there have been so many advances in user experience over the years. The big series have also had plenty of time to iterate and nail down the good parts of their games... for those that didn't go astray from them, at least.

There's not much point in doing a good/bad list since most of my reviews were positive, so let's break it down to specific recommendations. If you want to...

...Chill and build a...
- ...Peaceful village, get Banished.
- ...Roman settlement, get Imperium Romanum Gold Edition.
- ...Egyptian city, get Children of the Nile.
- ...Renaissance colony, get Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery.
- ...Modern city, get SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition (or really Cities: Skylines but I can't officially say that).
- ...Future settlement, get Anno 2070.

...Wage economic warfare...
- ...In the past, get The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom.
- ...In the future, get AdvertCity.
- ...With drugs, get Big Pharma.

...Trade and make tons of money...
- ...In Europe, get Patrician IV.
- ...In the Caribbean, get Port Royale 2.

I hope you've all enjoyed this tour of Steam's more constructive games, and maybe even found something new to try. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a few more temples to build and convoys to schedule.

And then I can finally get back to Overwatch.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Confirmed: you can play as a union leader

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zombie Samurai posted:

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
18. Cultures - Northland
19. Majesty Gold HD
20. Cities in Motion 2
23. Triple Town
24. Tropico 3
25. Cities XL Platinum
26. Patrician IV
27. Majesty 2
29. Prison Architect
30. Gnomoria

So that's it. 32 sims over 30 days, and I have to say I'm still feeling good. Those indie platformers in February burned me out pretty bad, but city builders generally don't have that problem of being tuned to difficult. The genre thrives more on letting people chill and do what they want, and most of the entries this month stuck to that ideal. Older sims tend to suffer more than other genres, I think because there have been so many advances in user experience over the years. The big series have also had plenty of time to iterate and nail down the good parts of their games... for those that didn't go astray from them, at least.

There's not much point in doing a good/bad list since most of my reviews were positive, so let's break it down to specific recommendations. If you want to...

...Chill and build a...
- ...Modern city, get SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition (or really Cities: Skylines but I can't officially say that).

I hope you've all enjoyed this tour of Steam's more constructive games, and maybe even found something new to try. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a few more temples to build and convoys to schedule.

I just want to say that you're efforts are amazing. Sims just aren't my thing but I may have to try something from your list. I look forward to seeing anything else you might come up with!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Seconding that. The reviews have been great. (And I'm more than a bit envious of your output, dang.)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zombie Samurai posted:

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
18. Cultures - Northland
19. Majesty Gold HD
20. Cities in Motion 2
23. Triple Town
24. Tropico 3
25. Cities XL Platinum
26. Patrician IV
27. Majesty 2
29. Prison Architect
30. Gnomoria

...Chill and build a...

Thanks for all this! Amazing work, and helped me discover a few new titles.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yodzilla posted:

World Leader mode was in the original also

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

duckfarts posted:

Confirmed: you can play as a union leader
This is scarier than that Giger horror game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zombie Samurai are your reviews archived anywhere? Aside from searching the forums I mean

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

QuarkJets posted:

Zombie Samurai are your reviews archived anywhere? Aside from searching the forums I mean

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/audish

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

A good poster posted:

Anybody want to be Lost Planet 2 buddies with me this weekend? The game seems rather diminished playing offline, but pick-up games seem prone to somebody blaring music through their microphone. I think they don't even have to be in-game. You can just sit in a lobby while people are playing, and I don't think anyone can mute or kick you out without ending their game.

With any luck I'll be able to refill my steam wallet later today, been looking to get that since it's seldom on sale.

Must be the hottest new way to get buzz considering Surgeon Simulator added Trump too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like that it looks like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Make a Trump DLC for Octodad where Trump does everything in his power to pass off as a normal human doing everyday things.

• Locked thread