Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I like KDE5 because it is really pretty :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Use gnome you useless spergs

Gnome tweak tool lets you autism up the ui to your heart's content if that is something you really have to do

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

not well enough since i had to download two shell extensions just to disable hot corners and disable the obnoxious notification banner that insists on taking up the bottom left couple of pixels on my main screen

also i could not find any documentation on how to install a shell extension except to install the gnome shell integration chrome extension and then install the gnome extension through that.

wtf

Lol loving perfect.

Also my first linux was Slackware back when it was on floppies.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ratbert90 posted:

Wait, you are developing a app with a gui that is expected to be used with rhel? :psyduck:

yeah it's a component of a much larger product so it has to work on any platform the product itself does

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

i'm expected to develop software that's compatible with that arrangement, yes

why? anybody who wants to use UNIX with a real UI is already using the world's most advanced operating system, macOS

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
my first UNIX was AT&T System V Release 3.2 on an AT&T 3B2 accessed via dialup

my second was MINIX 1.5 on the Mac

both of these were before either 386BSD or Linux existed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

why? anybody who wants to use UNIX with a real UI is already using the world's most advanced operating system, macOS

linux isn't UNIX though, it's GNU. so obviously someone who chooses to use linux does not want to use UNIX.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

gently caress

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

eschaton posted:

you win at yospos

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

docker seems interesting

oh. yes this seems safe.

it's more annoying that docker stop doesn't destroy volumes. we use docker for p much everything including integration tests, so if you run them locally you end up with a full hdd after a while. up until recently there wasn't a convenient way to nuke them all, either

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VikingofRock posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

:eyepop:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

linux isn't UNIX though, it's GNU. so obviously someone who chooses to use linux does not want to use UNIX.

Linux is System V fanfic

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

tl;dr: Linux user throws garbage at immigrants

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

Linux is System V fanfic

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
anyone got a link to that discussion about why fedora was the least-bad linux its for a project im working on

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Silver Alicorn posted:

remember mandrake linux

Smythe posted:

My first linux

:same:

Remember not being able to eject a cd without sudo :allears:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Korean Boomhauer posted:

anyone got a link to that discussion about why fedora was the least-bad linux its for a project im working on

because it's actually made to be an enterprise workstation and not some bespoke custom bullshit that's useless outside of toy applications?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Apocadall posted:

because it's actually made to be an enterprise workstation and not some bespoke custom bullshit that's useless outside of toy applications?

it's an enterprise workstation beta... the real enterprise workstation is red hat enterprise linux. RHEL uses fedora as a base, however.

but it's still miles away more enterprise ready than ubuntu

I am ok with the rolling release updating of fedora... it's become quite painless now

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

ratbert90 posted:

Lol loving perfect.

Also my first linux was Slackware back when it was on floppies.

My first linux was Red Hat Linux 6.2. Fell in love on the first day.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you want something reliable then use CentOS. If you're feeling a bit more frisky then use Arch. Which has worked fine for me but you do have to update it regularly. Usually when people whine about how Arch breaks poo poo it's because they went like a year between upgrades and something big happened in the intervening period.

If you use Fedora you're doing unpaid QA for RHEL.

On the other hand, Arch is rather stupid about a few things. For instance, Arch Build System builds -debug packages with debug symbols and such perfectly happily but they are never uploaded to the official repos, so if you want to step into system libraries then you have to rebuild them locally which is stupid. Their multiarch handling is also stupid because it's not the Debian way aka Literally The Only Correct Way to do multiarch.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I have a wayland story. I downloaded the new free quake episode by machine games. It comes in a rar file that I had to unrar with an ubuntu install. Fedora has the darkplaces engine in the standard repository, but it wouldn't recognize keystrokes when booting with glx.

Switched back to non-wayland and it works perfectly.

Conclusion: Wayland is not ready for the linux desktop.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

The gently caress is wreong with ppl....

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

If you want something reliable then use CentOS. If you're feeling a bit more frisky then use Arch. Which has worked fine for me but you do have to update it regularly. Usually when people whine about how Arch breaks poo poo it's because they went like a year between upgrades and something big happened in the intervening period.

On the other hand, Arch is rather stupid about a few things. For instance, Arch Build System builds -debug packages with debug symbols and such perfectly happily but they are never uploaded to the official repos, so if you want to step into system libraries then you have to rebuild them locally which is stupid. Their multiarch handling is also stupid because it's not the Debian way aka Literally The Only Correct Way to do multiarch.

centos is unacceptable as a desktop operating system. worse than debian. using desktop linux by choice is unpaid qa, may as well choose the most competent vendor

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

OldAlias posted:

centos is unacceptable as a desktop operating system. worse than debian. using desktop linux by choice is unpaid qa, may as well choose the most competent vendor

which is rhel, and by extension, centos?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Mr Dog posted:

idgi, am I missing something here?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

H2Eau posted:

it's more annoying that docker stop doesn't destroy volumes. we use docker for p much everything including integration tests, so if you run them locally you end up with a full hdd after a while. up until recently there wasn't a convenient way to nuke them all, either

maybe i need to stop thinking of containers as VMs
what if you have a DB container though can you mark some volume as DO NOT DESTROY or something

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

maybe i need to stop thinking of containers as VMs
what if you have a DB container though can you mark some volume as DO NOT DESTROY or something

no, not afaik

dbs are the only thing we don't use docker for, unless it's for a test

just treat containers as entirely expendable

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

fedora releases tend to be decent since red hat seems to care about things actually working. rawhide is where you are walking on a tightrope over a volcano.

celeron 300a posted:

I have a wayland story. I downloaded the new free quake episode by machine games. It comes in a rar file that I had to unrar with an ubuntu install. Fedora has the darkplaces engine in the standard repository, but it wouldn't recognize keystrokes when booting with glx.

Switched back to non-wayland and it works perfectly.

Conclusion: Wayland is not ready for the linux desktop.

fps games in particular need relative mouse movement and pointer locking support which was recently added to wayland but is still considered an unstable protocol and isn't supported in sdl yet.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

The_Franz posted:

fps games in particular need relative mouse movement and pointer locking support which was recently added to wayland but is still considered an unstable protocol and isn't supported in sdl yet.

loving hell

H2Eau posted:

just treat containers linux installs as entirely expendable

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

celeron 300a posted:

which is rhel, and by extension, centos?

do you use either of these as a desktop operating system? packages are outdated as gently caress. even with a ton of community repositories enabled it's painful at best. best suited for server use, and fedora is best suited for the desktop. i've had numerous stupid issues using fedora as a server, so i don't bother

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

The_Franz posted:

it is both depressing and hilarious that there is so much effort towards reinventing the wheel

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

OldAlias posted:

do you use either of these as a desktop operating system? packages are outdated as gently caress. even with a ton of community repositories enabled it's painful at best. best suited for server use, and fedora is best suited for the desktop. i've had numerous stupid issues using fedora as a server, so i don't bother

Oops, thought we were splitting hairs about enterprise linux. Lots of expensive commercial software for linux (like embedded toolchains or simulators) tend to work best on OSes that haven't really changed for years yet still get regular security updates.

Plus, rhel meets common criteria, which can matter to some businesses requirements.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Apocadall posted:

so i'm kind of new at this whole pbx/vpn/godonlyknows systems admin thing, i did get the openvpn passing traffic through to an asterisk pbx server and we got two phones connecting to each other over it. my boss wants to now set up a couple hundred on it

how screwed am i?

should i start worrying about codecs and overhead or is it still small for what these systems can handle?

sip/rtp over openvpn is a gigantic bag of hosed. you are completely, totally screwed.

these are real-time, latency- and jitter-sensitive audio streams. literally the worst case for tunneling over a tcp session w/ openvpn

there are special standards for encrypted sip/rtp for this very reason. you could also use native ipsec if the phones support it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H2Eau posted:

this feature has been in docker since the very beginning
code:
docker run blah blah --rm=true
dingus.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this feature has been in docker since the very beginning
code:
docker run blah blah --rm=true
dingus.

this is why you don't listen to Thoughtworkers I guess

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

so if I use fedora I'm doing QA for redhat and if I'm using arch I'm using a distro so terrible you can't wait for a year to upgrade because there's no regression testing because there's no QA

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

we've done it guys, we made it!

https://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ahmeni posted:

so if I use fedora I'm doing QA for redhat and if I'm using arch I'm using a distro so terrible you can't wait for a year to upgrade because there's no regression testing because there's no QA

just use fedora, it's the least worst desktop distro and you're gaining experience wiht the things rhel and centos are going to have in a few years. using anything else is just silly.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

looking forward to breaking 5% in 2045 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

i would argue that fedora is more of an advertisement for redhat than a qa process

unless you are using 'rawhide'

(don't use rawhide)