Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

NienNunb posted:

That's the most upsetting development in wrestling because early to mid 2000's NOAH is my favorite wrestling of all time.

it was an absolute fantastic run and yet at the same time responsible for introducing most of the tedious tropey bullshit (endless strike exchanges, no-selling for the sake of it) that japanese wrestling still can't get past to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Spermgod posted:

it's really one of the craziest examples of just how volatile star-driven wrestling promoting can be and why WWE is so smart to take the approach they do now

I would agree if they would use the fact that their financing makes them basically immune to the need for a Megastar to build the company around to... not try to make a megastar around which the company was built at the expense of guys the fans like. If you don't need a Hogan stop ruining everyone else trying to make a Hogan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jenny Angel posted:

A lot of times you'll see posts in gameday or weekly discussion threads like "Man, if you told me X years ago that Jon Moxley would be WWE World Champion..." or "Man, if you told me X years ago that Steen, Styles, Claudio, and Jericho would be main eventing RAW in a #1 Contenders Match for the World Championship...", and that got me thinking:

Let's say you can communicate with an average Wrestlehut 2K poster as of 10 years ago, so the summer of '06. Well after the end of the Attitude Era, but before the boom of indie wrestlers making it to WWE. What do you think is the one fact about pro wrestling in the past 10 years that would blow that humble goon's mind the most?

PPVs are now $10 and for a lot of people it's really just a secondary perk for paying to watch WWE's developmental show.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Gavok posted:

PPVs are now $10 and for a lot of people it's really just a secondary perk for paying to watch WWE's developmental show.

On a slightly similar note, I'd say the most shocking difference from 06 would be wwe, the company that hates indies and booked the last cruiserweight champion to be hornswoggle, is now producing a tournament that is just independent cruiserweights

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

On a slightly similar note, I'd say the most shocking difference from 06 would be wwe, the company that hates indies and booked the last cruiserweight champion to be hornswoggle, is now producing a tournament that is just independent cruiserweights

It's all to give the rub to WWE Superstar Taijiri.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I wish that were so. gently caress those other guys, I want Tajiri back.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hopefully the CWC final is Tajiri vs Kendrick.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Honestly what would have surprised me the most was NXT becoming a Super-Indy and hosting a Cruiserweight tournament featuring primarily guys from other companies around the world. Talent Relations were terrible back then and WWE was stuck so far up their rear end that CM Punk was the exception to the rule, and anyone else that was brought in was watered down, given a new name, and set up for failure to prove a point that the WWE Universe is the greatest.

If you would have told me in 2009 that WWE was featuring Kana, Kota Ibushi, Samoa Joe, and AJ Styles I probably would have lost my mind. It's a shame the deal with James Storm didn't work out because Beer Money would have been a fantastic final boss in NXT to keep up with Joe and Asuka.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

it was an absolute fantastic run and yet at the same time responsible for introducing most of the tedious tropey bullshit (endless strike exchanges, no-selling for the sake of it) that japanese wrestling still can't get past to this day

Agreed it was perfect.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Spermgod posted:

Actually those things are cool and good. NOAH was best of all time.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's All Japan doing these days? I only hear about New Japan, NOAH and DDT

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
In the process of maybe turning things around after hitting pretty much rock bottom after yet another round of departures late last year. Kento Miyahara is the ace now and with significant help from BJW they've had a string of well-attended Korakuen shows.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 30, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

What's All Japan doing these days? I only hear about New Japan, NOAH and DDT

watch more dragon gate

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

bjw's non death match stuff has been my favorite thing about japanese wrestling for 18 months now

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The NOAH points reminded me of another question I've had for a while now - what exactly happened to break NOAH's back after their great work in the earlier part of the century?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Everyone left or became a farm

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

NOAH had 3 stars, and they were all made in the late 80's early 90's.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenny Angel posted:

The NOAH points reminded me of another question I've had for a while now - what exactly happened to break NOAH's back after their great work in the earlier part of the century?

Their first attempt to build a new star in Rikio failed terribly.

They aborted their second attempt in Marufuji when spot shows started trailing off and they felt they needed Misawa back on top. (The spot shows often being paid for by big AJPW fans from the 90s who saw Misawa as a god.)

They then waited too long to pull the trigger on Morishima. In the mean time Kobashi had fallen apart and gotten cancer, Misawa was a wreck (and later died) and Akiyama was never the draw they needed. From here they never went back to Marufuji until it was too late nor did they pull the trigger on KENTA until it was also too late.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

oatgan posted:

bjw's non death match stuff has been my favorite thing about japanese wrestling for 18 months now

The BJW World Strong title has be really great since they introduced it and their tag division was awesome a few years ago. Their deathmatch stuff is getting kinda samey with another Ito reign.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Ceasaro always does that machine gun punch as a taunt, has he ever actually used that as a move?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think so. No.

One of the things I have hated in recent wrestling was again displayed at a recent WWE PPV when Seth Rollins hit a cool looking Pedigree as a reversal to the Roman Reigns spear. Wrestlers doing what are ostensibly super move versions of their finishers and not getting the three count and finally getting it with the conventional version. Cena has done this with the Avalanche AA. Karl Anderson used to hit a regular gunstun to finish and uses a TKO style one as a regular move. It doesn't even really have to be a super finish, sometimes people will just hit a move that looks amazing, and it never ever gets to be the match finish. It's like there is an allergy to creative finishes now days.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

remusclaw posted:

I don't think so. No.

One of the things I have hated in recent wrestling was again displayed at a recent WWE PPV when Seth Rollins hit a cool looking Pedigree as a reversal to the Roman Reigns spear. Wrestlers doing what are ostensibly super move versions of their finishers and not getting the three count and finally getting it with the conventional version. Cena has done this with the Avalanche AA. Karl Anderson used to hit a regular gunstun to finish and uses a TKO style one as a regular move. It doesn't even really have to be a super finish, sometimes people will just hit a move that looks amazing, and it never ever gets to be the match finish. It's like there is an allergy to creative finishes now days.

The current style is such that if you're in the main event or in a match with John Cena, one finisher won't do the job.

It's pretty dumb but it's their own fault. Wins and losses don't matter anymore so the only way to get a crowd invested in something that's not a finish is to get them to think that the finish is happening when it's not.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Seth really needs to win a match with his superplex into the falcon arrow

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still waiting for Seth to actually hit his Phoenix Splash

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

owens has been not finishing matches with his super fisherman buster for years

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

remusclaw posted:

I don't think so. No.

tbf I think Cena's only not pinned someone off an Avalanche AA once.

And I think it's less that super versions of their finishers don't get the pin, but that moves which look way cooler and more painful than their finishers aren't getting the pin. And just kind of become regular spots they pull out occasionally.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf I think Cena's only not pinned someone off an Avalanche AA once.

And I think it's less that super versions of their finishers don't get the pin, but that moves which look way cooler and more painful than their finishers aren't getting the pin. And just kind of become regular spots they pull out occasionally.

Sheamus has like 5 "signature moves" at this point that used to be finishers

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

Akiyama was never the draw they needed.

I might be wrong but I think his first GHC run drew fine. After losing to Ogawa in 7 minutes and then perpetually being presented as not quite good enough to compete with the top guys for years though...yeah. If he'd beaten Kobashi at the Dome in 2004, maybe things would've been different. But instead Rikio got to end Kobashi's reign while he still felt like a midcarder. And I believe Akiyama booked all of that stuff himself so it's not like any of this absolves him of blame.

Also KENTA was clearly the guy at least early as the second SUWA match in 2005. I understand why it took so long to strap the rocket to him given the stigma juniors have (except oh wait Ogawa was champion) but that's another chance to save the company they squandered.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 1, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Ceasaro always does that machine gun punch as a taunt, has he ever actually used that as a move?

They're anti-aircraft guns, so I really wish he'd use it as a counter to flying nothings.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Ten years ago Tanahashi was some dude that Brock bailed on fighting. He was weeks away from winning his first IWGP Championship. I think if you told people he'd basically become the Japanese Cena, except with a Flair-Steamboat level feud against the guy pegged to replace him on top, they would never believe you.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming Roman is winning at Battleground, as a face, and the crowd is going to poo poo all over it with extreme vigor and violence. Has there ever been a top face run attempt forced so hard with so much backfire and nothing changing, either vis a vis alignment or card position?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm half expecting him to pull a Lashley any day now and just never be mentioned again.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm assuming Roman is winning at Battleground, as a face, and the crowd is going to poo poo all over it with extreme vigor and violence. Has there ever been a top face run attempt forced so hard with so much backfire and nothing changing, either vis a vis alignment or card position?

I don't think so because at no other point in history could it happen without the business side of things necessitating a change of direction. Of course you could argue that since that isn't happening in this case it's not really backfiring.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I honestly don't know if they're stupid enough to put the belt back on him as soon as he comes back from a Wellness violation. Plenty of people will correctly point out that he shouldn't be rewarded upon his return, especially when he never actually missed a PPV payday.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I can't really imagine that Roman will win clean immediately. I think he "messes up" and allows Dean to win again (or Seth if they really want to play the redemption storyline) and has even more reason to doubt himself/OVERCOME THE ODDS

edit: my attempt at realistic fantasy booking would be that Roman has Dean down with the spear and could clearly win but decides to turn around and spear Seth as well and then ends up losing. THE HOT HEAD LET HIS EMOTIONS GET THE BEST OF HIM MAGGLE!!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you want to know what happens at wwe battleground then you better stop reading now. i mean you should read it, not stoip. Roman Reins will spear Seth Rollins but Seth will hit him with some kind of Gun's Bullet during it

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If you believe Dave Meltzer, NWA/WCW tried for almost decade to make Sting a star, he finally drew one buyrate that wasn't actually that impressive by being built for a year as the hero to stop the biggest faction in the history of wrestling, and then continued to fail to draw for almost 2 more decades after that as a top babyface.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Roman will spear Seth then walk out, allowing Dean to get the pin. At SummerSlam he'll lose clean to Nakamura then run in during the main event to help Dean retain again. Same thing at Clash of Champions except this time he jobs to Big E. This goes on until he breaks his own record at Royal Rumble 2017 and finally wins the WWE title again at Wrestlemania from Sheamus in 18 seconds.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Ten years ago Tanahashi was some dude that Brock bailed on fighting. He was weeks away from winning his first IWGP Championship. I think if you told people he'd basically become the Japanese Cena, except with a Flair-Steamboat level feud against the guy pegged to replace him on top, they would never believe you.
To further that point if you had told me Okada with the dumb Green Hornet sidekick gimmick would be the Steamboat to Tana's Flair I would have just thought NJPW was in its dying days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
if you told me that Okada/Tana was a Flair/Steamboat level feud today i wouldn't believe you