Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Massasoit posted:

I upgraded my laptop to 10 when it came out but I held off on my tower but I think I'm going to do it soon.

My win 7 install is from link like 2011 or 2012 - would I benefit from doing a clean install or will upgrade in place work well enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7bHCs_iu9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Massasoit posted:

I upgraded my laptop to 10 when it came out but I held off on my tower but I think I'm going to do it soon.

My win 7 install is from link like 2011 or 2012 - would I benefit from doing a clean install or will upgrade in place work well enough?

Well a clean install won't hurt, but again, the simplest thing to do is upgrade first because then a fresh install is easy (i.e. your hardware is recognized and you never have to re-enter your key.) I mean I suppose an old, "dirty" Win7 installation might cause the Win10 upgrade to fail (this initially happened on one of my systems) but there's no harm in trying if you were willing to nuke it in the first place.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is Bash confirmed to debut in stable with 1607? I'm looking to get off Fast Ring but I love me my CLI.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

beuges posted:

Why would this even need to be a setting, as opposed to standard behaviour? I remember seeing in the feedback hub that "your files are where you left them" was supposed to now happen behind the scenes, and first login after upgrade should take you straight to desktop, but I've still had it run that setup process whenever I've logged in after upgrading so I just assumed it was broken, rather than a setting I had to enable.

I suspect it's a setting because in order for it to work, Windows has to store your user credentials so it can log in as you and do the setup in the background after the upgrade has completed. If you're in some high-security type of situation you might not want your credentials being stored, but I agree it should be on by default and disabled maybe through a GPO or something.

ilkhan posted:

Wait.
There's a loving setting for that?!?!

Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options > "Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update."

Probably not there unless you're on insider builds.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Arsten posted:

Nope. Cortana works with Groove and that's it. It doesn't even issue the long-existing commands like what keyboard media keys (skip, play, pause, etc) have done for decades. Theoretically, iTunes could integrate itself with Cortana, but I don't believe an SDK for doing that has even been released, yet.

The VLC beta http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2016/Announcing-VLC-for-UWP-2.0 supposedly has Cortana support.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I played with that a month or two ago. The support is very buggy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/29/windows-10-anniversary-update-available-august-2/

quote:

Today we’re excited to announce the next major update to Windows 10 – the Windows 10 Anniversary Update – is coming on August 2.

quote:

To celebrate, we’d like to make it easy for everyone to enjoy the great new features in the Anniversary Update. Our free Windows 10 upgrade offer is available until July 29

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arsten posted:

I played with that a month or two ago. The support is very buggy.

VLC? Buggy?

What a surprise

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

biznatchio posted:

I suspect it's a setting because in order for it to work, Windows has to store your user credentials so it can log in as you and do the setup in the background after the upgrade has completed. If you're in some high-security type of situation you might not want your credentials being stored, but I agree it should be on by default and disabled maybe through a GPO or something.

Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options > "Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update."

Probably not there unless you're on insider builds.
Yeah I found it.
Awesome!

Thats, uh, an interesting pair of quotes.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

sigh, so the Anniversary Update comes out after the free upgrade deadline. How are the other holdouts dealing with this? Perhaps:

1. Upgrade Win(7/8) in-place in July before deadline, then
2. Make fresh Anniversary Update USB stick after Aug 2, then
3. Clean install after (2)

I'd like to do a nuke-and-pave clean install, but only after the Anniv. Update install media is available. I'm guessing the procedure above will be allowed by Microsoft?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
1) Upgrade Win 7/8 or do a clean install now
2) Let Windows Update install the anniversary edition like you're going to let it install every update from now until you get rid of it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

pmchem posted:

sigh, so the Anniversary Update comes out after the free upgrade deadline. How are the other holdouts dealing with this? Perhaps:

1. Upgrade Win(7/8) in-place in July before deadline, then
2. Make fresh Anniversary Update USB stick after Aug 2, then
3. Clean install after (2)

I'd like to do a nuke-and-pave clean install, but only after the Anniv. Update install media is available. I'm guessing the procedure above will be allowed by Microsoft?
As discussed quite recently here, Windows Updates are now regularly (couple times a year) delivered in the form of full in-place OS reinstalls. Also, users no longer have the ability to stop or delay or pick updates in Windows 10.

Either you get an Enterprise LTSB license and cherry pick which builds to install, or you get used to the fact that there's not going to be a "clean install" on your PC with Windows 10 going forward.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Man, I feel like this free upgrade thing has been a huge communications mess. It seemed like early on into the upgrade program there was a lot of confusing and vague communication about whether a system would get a fingerprint license or if a key would get converted to a Windows 10 key. I personally remember reading something that made it sound an awful lot like a W7 retail channel key, once used for W10, would effectively function as a retail W10 key in perpetuity and not just provide a system fingerprint.

I suppose I should be thankful I don't have to care about it. My latest gaming PC build was recent enough to last me the next 5 years or so, and I don't work in IT janitorial anymore so I don't have a bunch of random PCs around me that can use keys. I have a nostalgic appreciation for when XP was old and lovely and Vista was new and lovely so I could happily gently caress off to Linux. Maybe they'll have a change of heart and drag out Windows 10 for eight agonizing years too before putting out a worthwhile successor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Have fun without DX12 I guess?

What specifically do you think was a communication mess? poo poo was fucky before free upgrades started last year, but about a month in things were clear regarding which specific cases would be covered by the upgrade and who would need to talk to volume licensing. This offer cutoff date has been in the sand for a while, and if you want to use Pascal cards in the future with the architectural changes DX12 brings...

Vulkan will probably be the winner in a five year horizon, but that's your estimated expected existing system lifetime, so are you afraid of anything other than the EULA?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If a linux gaming system plays what you need, then hey, good for you, don't bother with Windows ever again and just wait for more Vulkan adoption. DX12 is the short/medium bandaid developers need to get unfettered access to resources. They'll go Vulkan as time and growing expertise win over.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
My main machine is still on Win7. I want to remain on Win7 for now, with the option of upgrading to Win10 after July 29.

What is the easiest way to upgrade to the point it recognizes my PC/fingerprints it so in the future I can just clean install Win10 when I am ready?

Would I have to image it, upgrade/activate it, then re-image it back to Win7? Or is there an easier way?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Meta Ridley posted:

Would I have to image it, upgrade/activate it, then re-image it back to Win7? Or is there an easier way?

Thats about the only way. Not too painful if you already have an imaging solution & that way you avoid having to risk the official uninstall 10/revert back not working

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

xamphear posted:

As discussed quite recently here, Windows Updates are now regularly (couple times a year) delivered in the form of full in-place OS reinstalls. Also, users no longer have the ability to stop or delay or pick updates in Windows 10.

Either you get an Enterprise LTSB license and cherry pick which builds to install, or you get used to the fact that there's not going to be a "clean install" on your PC with Windows 10 going forward.

Technically you can still cherry pick with Enterprise Non-LTSB, it's just that "support" will fade from your environment rather rapidly if you opt to stay a generation or two behind. What this means is somewhat nebulous.

The whole delineation between LTSB and not is still confusing, and no one seems to have a clear answer which of the two is best for your typical corporate environment. The standard use case MS provides for using LTSB is for something like a cash register or a POS terminal that absolutely cannot experience any rate of change, but I have a hard time seeing why I'd want to use regular Enterprise over it for anything beyond losing Edge, since security patches still flow via the old WU methodology. That seems to be the only real downside unless you have a C-Level that REALLY loves Cortana.

It's a brave new world, folks. At least it's easy to switch between CB and LTSB, from what I've seen.

Edit: Correction, you can move from LTSB to CB/CBB easily, but not the other way around. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 30, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Meta Ridley posted:

My main machine is still on Win7. I want to remain on Win7 for now, with the option of upgrading to Win10 after July 29.

What is the easiest way to upgrade to the point it recognizes my PC/fingerprints it so in the future I can just clean install Win10 when I am ready?

Imaging it, upgrading, and then re-imaging back is the most reliable way to ensure you get back to Windows 7. The easiest way is to use the built in revert to previous Windows option in Windows 10, but that can break sometimes.

You might as well make the image, upgrade, and then try to revert using the built-in options, and then if that doesn't work, that's when you restore from the image.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Imaging it, upgrading, and then re-imaging back is the most reliable way to ensure you get back to Windows 7. The easiest way is to use the built in revert to previous Windows option in Windows 10, but that can break sometimes.

You might as well make the image, upgrade, and then try to revert using the built-in options, and then if that doesn't work, that's when you restore from the image.

I would do basically this as well though, the revert button has worked around 25/25 times for me.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Meta Ridley posted:

Find some old, spare harddrive, install Win10 on it and activate it with your Win7 key. Then throw the harddrive in the trash and connect your Win7 harddrive back. My understanding is this will keep the Win7 activation intact.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Finally pushed that button yesterday and it's great :confused:
Tinkered with some leftover Win7 drivers like my cases dumb cardreader that I never use, Intels USB3.0 thing and the usual Realtek crap, but overall a painless migration.
The new flat UI style is.. really something. And so many hidden options in every app.

\/ no?

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 30, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

sauer kraut posted:

Tinkered with some leftover Win7 drivers like my cases dumb cardreader that I never use, Intels USB3.0 thing and the usual Realtek crap, but overall a painless migration.
The new flat UI style is.. really something. And so many hidden options in every app.

Sarcasm?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My friend works at MS and gave me a Windows 10 Pro key. They are allowed to share it with friends and family members so this is all completely OK.

I don't want to upgrade from Windows 8.1 yet, but now I will have a real key which I can use if/when I finally upgrade, and if I change hardware I shouldn't have problems either.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

My friend works at MS and gave me a Windows 10 Pro key. They are allowed to share it with friends and family members so this is all completely OK.

I don't want to upgrade from Windows 8.1 yet, but now I will have a real key which I can use if/when I finally upgrade, and if I change hardware I shouldn't have problems either.

I didn't hate Win8 or anything, but most people didn't seem to like it; why are you so attached to it? Particularly because...

sauer kraut posted:

\/ no?

...Win10 is actually good except for all the spying :ninja:. It's like Win7 + Win8, taking all the good bits from those OSs and the whole is greater than a sum of its parts. It runs well on old machines. Honestly, if you're using Windows 7/8, what's the reason for the holdout? Unless you have some software or hardware that, for some reason, 100% will not run on Win10 you have no excuse. This is like all those idiots who insisted on sticking with WinXP; it was good for its time, but I'm not running a 12+ year old OS with no further security updates. I don't spend much time in Windows nowadays but I updated everything I could to 10.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

There is a chance that something might go wrong and I have zero motivation to deal with computer problems during summer. Maybe in Autumn...

I had problems with X58 chipset drivers causing my pc freeze due to hdd errors, Xonar D2X driver issues (I use custom drivers now) etc. I bet at least one of those will cause issues if I upgrade to 10.

And my Windows install is a Vista upgraded to 7, then to 8, and finally to 8.1. There's a chance something will go wrong while upgrading to 10. Resetting your install from a cloned inage isn't too difficult but really.. why should I take the risk? Overwatch, Spotify and Chrome all work, and I bet they'd work the same on Win 10.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 30, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

And 8.1 is not a 12 yo OS full of security holes. 8.1 will get security updates till 2023.. which is 7 more years...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you're using 8.1 on a non-touch device you're probably in the best situation to upgrade to 10.

Outside of DX12 for GPUs very little changed about the driver situation and only recent hardware requirements change was 8.0->8.1, so you're the most likely to "just work" (not to mention that most 7 users had the same experience). Hardware issues are thus very unlikely.

In exchange for that you get what 8 should have been, an updated UI that works well on touch and high-DPI screens but also actually makes sense for mouse users.

10 is to 8 what 7 was to Vista, the same basic thing but just better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

wolrah posted:

In exchange for that you get what 8 should have been, an updated UI that works well on touch and high-DPI screens but also actually makes sense for mouse users.

Lets not get carried away now - high DPI still pretty much sucks on 10

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Windows 10 is broken pretty well for high DPI in terms of any older programs. I really wish MS had taken it far more seriously and made some kind of built in scaling. It sucks so bad I have to set high DPI screens to lower resolutions to make things like the Surface Pro 3 and 4 work for most people.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dissss posted:

The updated UI works. Anything built for Metro/Modern/whatever is pretty solid no matter the DPI, and now that they can be windowed they're not completely idiotic to use on normal computers.

Traditional Win32 apps still suck for the most part and probably will forever since it seems almost no one cares to fix their apps. The fact that there are some that work fine shows that it is possible, but it's either hard to do or the devs just don't care. I'm willing to bet more on the latter, but don't have the knowledge to actually back that up.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

The updated UI works. Anything built for Metro/Modern/whatever is pretty solid no matter the DPI, and now that they can be windowed they're not completely idiotic to use on normal computers.

Traditional Win32 apps still suck for the most part and probably will forever since it seems almost no one cares to fix their apps. The fact that there are some that work fine shows that it is possible, but it's either hard to do or the devs just don't care. I'm willing to bet more on the latter, but don't have the knowledge to actually back that up.

And that is the fail. There are a handful of useful 'modern' apps and none of them will make someone buy a PC. Functionally the high DPI handling is laughable.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

And 8.1 is not a 12 yo OS full of security holes. 8.1 will get security updates till 2023.. which is 7 more years...

I think you're way too worried about what might happen in a Win10 upgrade but most likely it will go fine. Just back up your stuff and go for it; you can then do a fresh install after Windows activates and recognizes the hardware configuration. Honestly, if your current install is a multi-generation upgrade mess it's time to do a fresh install anyway. Also, what I wrote that you responded to above was specifically in reference to WinXP; I know how old Win8 is. The point was that some people stubbornly refuse to update with no good reason, even if they're running an unsupported, abandoned OS (like XP) regardless of how good it used to be or how much they like it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you're on 8/8.1 there is functionally no reason to hold off on the upgrade, unless you like 8/8.1 in which case few people can assist you in that.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a way to hide my MS portrait in Edge? It's kind of annoying if I want to do screenshots or stream that it's there.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

What specifically do you think was a communication mess? poo poo was fucky before free upgrades started last year, but about a month in things were clear regarding which specific cases would be covered by the upgrade and who would need to talk to volume licensing. This offer cutoff date has been in the sand for a while, and if you want to use Pascal cards in the future with the architectural changes DX12 brings...

Well, for starters, this:

Meldonox posted:

I personally remember reading something that made it sound an awful lot like a W7 retail channel key, once used for W10, would effectively function as a retail W10 key in perpetuity and not just provide a system fingerprint.

Is this actually the case? Who the gently caress knows? We have vague statements from MS employees on twitter saying that it will function like a retail key (i.e. you should be able to change your hardware and re-activate without needing to buy W10), but no official clarification and conflicting statements from MS support.

It's quite clear what you can and cannot upgrade to W10. It's extremely unclear how a W10 Digital Entitlement will actually behave in practice, and how (or if) the kind of key you convert will affect that behaviour.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
That's exactly what I meant about communication being a mess. Who knows, maybe I'll just activate all of mine on a VM on the off chance it works and I need another one soon.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Khablam posted:

unless you like 8/8.1 in which case few people can assist you in that.

Well it had a much better taskbar.

I just watched a video of a Windows 10 build 9841 and it had the great taskbar plus metro tiles in a OK looking start menu. SO they had it working. But then some idiot manager decided on a rewrite.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Wifes laptop HDD took a poo poo the other night. Replaced it with a SSD and fresh installed 10 on it, it was 7. No problems at all other than it looks different.

Yes it does. It'll be fine. Facebook will still load don't worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Does anyone actually have a clean error free Event Log?

Clean installed Win10 on 3 different machines and they all show in the Event Viewer;

Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}