Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Is there a way to remove plants from the alien containment thing? I put some in there and they're all greyed out on the planter menu.

Also, this is a really beautiful game :allears::

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I should maybe update the OP. I also feel silly about not making a more elaborate thread title.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That whole thing about the female character seems very odd, because this exists. Of course, it could be she is supposed to be a character in the storyline plot while Wasabi (which is apparently the player character's name?) is the protagonist.

Quick bit of googleing brings up a thread with some info

quote:

Sorry, nv, no change on the female model side just yet. We still have the high poly model done, but we need to get the low poly model and texture into production. It is possible that we'll be able to get that into the schedule on the art production side in the next few weeks, but then there is still rigging/animation/sound work, as well as the programming time to set it up, and I can't give any estimates for when that will happen.

While it seems like it would be an easy model swap, there's a lot of technical considerations, since we don't currently have any kind of character customization feature. We do feel that is important to allow players to choose their gender, it is just something that is hard to prioritize at this stage, because it doesn't change the core gameplay.

We appreciate your understanding, and I hope you continue to follow the game's progress, so that you can jump in as soon as we are able to add the female player model.

More recent Dev quote (different dev) from March:

quote:

I've been monitoring this thread, and I'm not exactly happy with the way it's going down.

We're a company that values diversity, to empower players whatever gender they happen to be. Sexism is not welcome here.

To get back on-topic, we're still working on the female however we're not quite sure yet when she will go in. We're re-working the rig and recently the model so that she can match the male's arm & hand proportions a little more (so we can reuse some animation assets). We're a small company and we need to work as efficiently as possible. We have a ton of work to do to get the game ready for launch but we're hopeful we can get this done.

Both from this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/496880203080777526/

U.T. Raptor posted:

Is there a way to remove plants from the alien containment thing? I put some in there and they're all greyed out on the planter menu.

Knife em enough times and they'll go away. As a bonus you'll get seeds.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 1, 2016

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I should maybe update the OP. I also feel silly about not making a more elaborate thread title.

If we can get the title changed, I'd like to offer a few suggestions:

Subnautica: Thalassophobia Simulator

Or possibly

Subnautica: Oh poo poo what the gently caress was that?! Oh gently caress it's coming back poo poo poo poo poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also, this is a really beautiful game :allears::

Just hack at them until they disappear.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Subnautica, psychological horror game of the century

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Stillsuit odor filter sold separately.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Subnautica: If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Subnautica : Why do I keep playing on Hardcore? :smith:

giffan
Jul 10, 2012

That thread quickly turned into a weird steaming pile huh

Quick question: About how much power is need for the Moon Pool?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

giffan posted:

That thread quickly turned into a weird steaming pile huh

Quick question: About how much power is need for the Moon Pool?

The moon pool doesn't use any power by itself that I remember, but the seamoth uses some power to recharge when you dock it, if that's what you mean. I think it uses maybe 100-150 max? I dunno, haven't played it for a few months.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Do keep in mind the moon pool takes 6 or 7 hull integrity so if you're keeping it as low as possible your base may suddenly flood. If you place lots of foundation tiles or use a lot of reinforcement parts you will probably be safe.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The game is silly about foundations. It wouldn't let me remove them even if I have the hull integrity available because other objects are connected to them.

I just rebuilt my base a piece at a time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What I don't get is why the modules aren't centered on the foundation squares. Like on the ruined based from the Degasi crew

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Augh I finally got all the Cyclops blueprints but I cannot find stalker teeth anywhere to make the enameled glass.

The wiki says to tease stalkers in a seamoth til they bite it but good luck finding the drat tooth after that :sigh:

vvvv niiiice, will try that

priznat fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 1, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah, just collect a modest pile of ship scrap, find a stalker, dump one near him. Watch him grab it, follow him back to his "nest" where he'll leave the scrap. You might find some teeth there. If not, drop more scrap nearby for him to collect and recheck.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You can also breed a bunch of stalkers in a big tank (I suggest starting this process relatively early) and let them loose near said pile of scrap if you want to speed up the process a bit.

If you do this, I would also advise bringing a few medkits along.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so i just started this game after getting it during steam sale. there's a message that keeps popping up saying the pod may blow up and i have to vacate at least 1km away. what do I do to stop this from happening?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Subnautica: Abyss base builder

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

so i just started this game after getting it during steam sale. there's a message that keeps popping up saying the pod may blow up and i have to vacate at least 1km away. what do I do to stop this from happening?

Its talking about the Aurora, not your lifepod.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I probably missed the discussion in my thread read through but is there a reason from the devs why no map interface? I want one really badly. Seems totally weird to not have one.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Subnautica: The Reapers Have Returned

giffan
Jul 10, 2012

Ambaire posted:

The moon pool doesn't use any power by itself that I remember, but the seamoth uses some power to recharge when you dock it, if that's what you mean. I think it uses maybe 100-150 max? I dunno, haven't played it for a few months.

Hmm, it's weird because when I dock my seamoth, I immediately get a hundred power outage messages. I even put 4 solar panels up just to see how much it was using but it killed my base every time.

Then again, I ended my last session trapped in my wall locker, so maybe the game just bugged out on me...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

If you do have the title updated, please make it Thalassophobia Simulator, thanks :3:

e: obviously beaten as hell

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 1, 2016

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
"At least these Reapers have a reasonable motivation."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
"Swim with the Satan of the Seas"

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Are most folks here playing in the experimental version? I tried it out and got floating objects in the air, disappearing and self-duplicating storage containers and other weird stuff here and there that I didn't see in the "regular" version, but I want to play around with all the new base stuff :cry:

How often is the game updated?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
^^^^^ it's usually updated every day or so.

giffan posted:

Hmm, it's weird because when I dock my seamoth, I immediately get a hundred power outage messages. I even put 4 solar panels up just to see how much it was using but it killed my base every time.

Then again, I ended my last session trapped in my wall locker, so maybe the game just bugged out on me...

The seamoth is the part that uses power. It recharges when you dock it. If you don't have enough power to charge it, it will constantly take every bit of power that's generated until it's charged. It seems like it takes 3 base power to charge one seamoth power.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Imaginary Friend posted:

How often is the game updated?

The devs are splitting their time between Natural Selection2 and this, so updates will slow a bit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

The devs are splitting their time between Natural Selection2 and this, so updates will slow a bit.

AFAIK they actually handed NS2 over to a community dev team a while ago, so UWE are actually on Subnautica full time these days. I'm sure there's a couple of guys who still contribute to the NS2 repo, but they're not really actively maintaining it any more, I thought.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been playing for a bit, seems fun. Couple of questions:

- Where can I get a computer chip? Looking at the tools blueprints, it seems that's what I need to start building a base.
- How do I plant stuff? I want pretty bioluminiscent plants all over the place.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Computer chips require a quartz, silver ore (found in sandstone deposits, check caves or the creepvine forests), and two table coral samples (those mushroom like coral sticking out of the sides of rocks, usually multiple of them going down in a loose line, use your knife to cut them free).

You'll get the ability to build alien containment tanks inside your base where you can plant sea life and eventually find indoor/outdoor growbeds that can be used to raise plants. To get seeds just use your knife on flora.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

priznat posted:

I probably missed the discussion in my thread read through but is there a reason from the devs why no map interface? I want one really badly. Seems totally weird to not have one.

There are mid-late game methods of mapping the world.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well I just built my first base and was killed by gasopods farting straight through the walls so that's great.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Knife them all.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Unkempt posted:

Well I just built my first base and was killed by gasopods farting straight through the walls so that's great.

Back when the game first came out I started and was almost immediately killed by a gasopod through the walls of the escape pod. I feel like they probably have a higher players killed rate than leviathans.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Met posted:

Knife them all.

Wait, can I actually do this? Wipe them out locally? Will they come back? I hate those guys and they seem to be useless.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I killed a nearby one and it hasn't returned.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well you can harvest their gas pods before they detonate and craft gas torpedoes for the Seamoth.

I wish we could use crash powder to make warheads instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Is there a trigger to remove the heat signature indicator near the life pod? I scoured the abandoned jellyshroom cave base and I'm worried I might have sent a stray datapad flying after going crazy with the repulsion gun.