Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hey Fathis Munk, how much ($) for a kilogram of restriction enzymes?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hmm that's not an easy question to answer since enzymes are not sold pure, they are sold suspended in a storage buffer and the quantity is measured in Units (for example for EcoRI, one of the most common restriction enzymes, New England Biolabs defines 1 U as the amount required to digest 1 microgram of Lambda DNA in 1 hour at 37 degrees in a 50 microliter reaction).

I guess you could figure out the weight per U, but that's way to much effort and I'm not sure I could even find all the constants I'd need.

If we just approximate that 1 mL of resuspended enzyme is 1 g, 1 kg of enzyme+storage buffer (at 20 000 U/mL, which is about the standard stock concentration you'd usually buy) is 91 600 $ at catalog price.

For a more expensive enzyme like NotI the same approximation yields 1 128 000 $/kg

Similarly 1 kg of Phusion DNA polymerase in its storage buffer (also from NEB) is approximately 1 695 000 $.

All those prices are based on buying the largest volume offered on their site (since those usually save you about 20%) but not taking into account the preferential prizes labs usually negotiate.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Hmm that's not an easy question to answer since enzymes are not sold pure, they are sold suspended in a storage buffer and the quantity is measured in Units (for example for EcoRI, one of the most common restriction enzymes, New England Biolabs defines 1 U as the amount required to digest 1 microgram of Lambda DNA in 1 hour at 37 degrees in a 50 microliter reaction).

I guess you could figure out the weight per U, but that's way to much effort and I'm not sure I could even find all the constants I'd need.

If we just approximate that 1 mL of resuspended enzyme is 1 g, 1 kg of enzyme+storage buffer (at 20 000 U/mL, which is about the standard stock concentration you'd usually buy) is 91 600 $ at catalog price.

For a more expensive enzyme like NotI the same approximation yields 1 128 000 $/kg

Similarly 1 kg of Phusion DNA polymerase in its storage buffer (also from NEB) is approximately 1 695 000 $.

All those prices are based on buying the largest volume offered on their site (since those usually save you about 20%) but not taking into account the preferential prizes labs usually negotiate.

Wow, that was way more effort than I was expecting. My 'joke' was that restriction enzymes are worth way, way more than their weight in gold (which is currently around $ 42500 per kg ). Luckily you don't need large volumes of restriction enzymes for experiments.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wow, that was way more effort than I was expecting. My 'joke' was that restriction enzymes are worth way, way more than their weight in gold

Are enzymes cheaper than inkjet ink?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wow, that was way more effort than I was expecting. My 'joke' was that restriction enzymes are worth way, way more than their weight in gold (which is currently around $ 42500 per kg ). Luckily you don't need large volumes of restriction enzymes for experiments.

There are so many reagents we use that are hilariously expensive. When you actually start thinking about the value of the things you handle it gets a bit daunting sometimes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fathis Munk posted:

There are so many reagents we use that are hilariously expensive. When you actually start thinking about the value of the things you handle it gets a bit daunting sometimes.

What's the price per kg of antimatter?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
All the nukes in the world.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I like this more than I probably should.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

An accurate use of Venn diagramming? How did that get in here?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I'll show you what I know and you can tell me if you think I'm getting better at making graphs

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do like how that diagram implies there is some hypothetical overlap between "real doctors" and "real worms".

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I do like how that diagram implies there is some hypothetical overlap between "real doctors" and "real worms".

Dr. Oz

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What's the price per kg of antimatter?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Wolfram you are supposed to provide answers, but you have provided nothing but questions.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You've never heard of medicinal leeches?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Well that's gonna be stuck in my head for a few days

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The premodern era is also commonly known among academics as the era of God just constantly loving our poo poo up with lightning bolts.

So is a post-ironic meme the part of a meme lifecycle when a meme becomes part of common parlance but loses all original meaning? Like how your local little league team will make team shirts that say "Keep Calm and Fighting Ladybugs Rule!" or some such for some inscrutable reason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

The premodern era is also commonly known among academics as the era of God just constantly loving our poo poo up with lightning bolts.

So is a post-ironic meme the part of a meme lifecycle when a meme becomes part of common parlance but loses all original meaning? Like how your local little league team will make team shirts that say "Keep Calm and Fighting Ladybugs Rule!" or some such for some inscrutable reason.

I guess so? I actually understand most of what this little graphic is going for aside from the "meme" bits (what do the black/white colours mean? Who knows)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

First of all, I would assume they mean the dictionary definition of a meme, not the 'internet meme' meaning.

Then I still don't understand anything in that picture, but it sounds slightly less stupid.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This doesn't seem that bad, just requiring some explanation. The top part makes a sort of sense.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is pretty mild compared to some other poo poo here, but c'mon:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

mobby_6kl posted:

All that's missing is a bar labeled, "Tendency to not set your computer on fire".

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

mobby_6kl posted:

Honestly I'd say as a ~gamer~ I'd want the discrepancy between performance to be greater than that between power efficiency. That would make games look/run on ULTRA SUPER SUPREME 60 FPS 200 FOV better than what the competition offers, rather than it being a little easier on my power supply.

This post brought to you by videocardz.com

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I feel like Randall Munroe is phoning it in at this point:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He was never not phoning it in.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wait, when's the last time someone got killed by a rocket launch?

e: I feel like it's longer ago that the last racing driver fatality

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

StandardVC10 posted:

blah blah something about proportions and ratios blah blah etc, ahaha, lol

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Latest fatal F1 accident was in October 2014, and he died in July 2015 after being in a coma.

I'm gonna presume that the last rocket launch fatality was farther away than that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

People love to hate on xkcd on these boards, and for once I'll agree. They've been extremely weak lately.

Though it was only some weeks ago we got this one:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serperoth posted:

I'm gonna presume that the last rocket launch fatality was farther away than that.

Do model rockets count?
http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/teen-killed-after-a-model-rocket-explosion-went-wrong/news-story/b0991271d56d0a485dcb7c205b389946

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Serperoth posted:

Latest fatal F1 accident was in October 2014, and he died in July 2015 after being in a coma.

Nah sweeperbravo had it right. Rockets carrying humans will result in fatalities 99.99% of crashes. F1 cars carrying humans will result in fatalities in maybe (total guess) 1% of crashes. One of these is a more dangerous crash than the other, and it has nothing to do with total number of occurrences or most recent crash.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Nah sweeperbravo had it right. Rockets carrying humans will result in fatalities 99.99% of crashes. F1 cars carrying humans will result in fatalities in maybe (total guess) 1% of crashes. One of these is a more dangerous crash than the other, and it has nothing to do with total number of occurrences or most recent crash.

True but rockets that aren't the space shuttle have a launch escape system that carries the capsule full of humans far away from the exploding rocket.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Count Roland posted:

People love to hate on xkcd on these boards, and for once I'll agree. They've been extremely weak lately.

Though it was only some weeks ago we got this one:

I enjoyed this chart.

I also love the one that visualizes different amounts of money--like rappers' net worth, nations' GDP, etc--as big boxes.

Not gonna post it because this thread is for bad/funny, not just miscellaneous interesting.

Maybe someone should make a thread like that, preferably one less insufferable than the D&D picture thread.

Anyway, xkcd isn't high art, and I think Munroe knows it. I've never really encountered anybody who puts him on a pedestal or anything, but I see lots on this site who hate him. It's like how much easier it is to find people making fun of tumbler than the batshit transethnic otherkin nonsense they make fun of.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cat Hatter posted:

True but rockets that aren't the space shuttle have a launch escape system that carries the capsule full of humans far away from the exploding rocket.

Truth. Such a system has even been used once, and it saved the lives of two cosmonauts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_7K-ST_No._16L

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

The space shuttle had that too. Well, technically it was a jettison for the rockets/fuel tank, then the orbiter would glide away. But the incident happened too fast for that.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Jul 2, 2016

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Serperoth posted:

Curiously enough it was also on October 2014, though with only a 50% fatality rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Byzantine posted:

The space shuttle had that too. Well, technically it was a jettison for the rockets/fuel tank, then the orbiter would glide away. But the incident happened too fast for that.

Not really. The solid rocket boosters couldn't be shut down and would destroy the shuttle (or the parachutes of a hypothetical escape capsule) with rocket exhaust had they been jettisoned while firing. So while it's true that there was an abort procedure, it couldn't be used until the SRBs were finished burning. Contrast this with a capsule design which Nasa requires to be capable of performing an abort anytime from "sitting on the pad" to "we're in space".