Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

BattleHamster posted:

kind of interesting:

https://twitter.com/CurlingW/status/748896353393078273

Seems weird that Xrd has less entrants.

its cuz xrd was hella new last evo and still was in the romance period.

now its people that just give a poo poo about the game only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Yes there is BYOC why wouldn't there be?
heard rumors there wasn't gonna be byoc area due to clearing out space for the sheer number of dudes and matches they gotta go through

BattleHamster posted:

kind of interesting:
Seems weird that Xrd has less entrants.

eh, i'd chalk that up to new game shine vs it being established since rev isn't that big of a change supposedly
it's more surprising that the dropoff is so low for it being established

e;fb

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Brosnan posted:

I think it would be cool if they dropped Melee to being a large side tourney and had one main stage slot every year reserved for a classic game. Like help people who are relatively new to the FGC discover how cool Vsav or Alpha or MvC2 or w/e are by featuring one as a main stage game to get people back into it for a bit.

Yeah, that would definitely be my #1 choice for something to replace Melee with. Just a rotating "classic 90s fighting games" slot for people to get to check out some of the genre's history.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm triggered that the order of that spreadsheet isn't 2015 -> 2016 -> % change

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

more people are registered to play Pokken than Tekken 7 and Killer Instinct combined lmao

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

remember when pokken was gonna bring on the new wave of fighting games and kill everything but sf forever

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

setafd posted:

more people are registered to play Pokken than Tekken 7 and Killer Instinct combined lmao

well t7 wont even be released for half a year and ki uhhh i dont know who cares thats why

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Fereydun posted:

remember when pokken was gonna bring on the new wave of fighting games and kill everything but sf forever

No

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

I'm triggered that the order of that spreadsheet isn't 2015 -> 2016 -> % change

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Jmcrofts posted:

Didn't this happen with ST 2 years ago? When Mao won the tournament?

Yes, but I mean something a little more formalized (and potentially more than ST).

It definitely did happen in that case, though.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

thank goodness

i'd say 'now the next step is to forget about pokken entirely' but i already did that until i saw it on the list there

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

The KI numbers are interesting - seeing a game actually grow in popularity like that, rather than slowly die off. (The SF number is relevant for different reasons since it's 4->5).

Honestly, as rough as aspects of SF5 and its release are, and the public narrative about it, it does seem to be 'healthy' as far as competitive interest with those numbers. But given financial success w/ it and Capcom, I wonder what (if anything) we'll see from them in the future and how they appeal to the masses/where most of their actual money comes from.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should replace melee with uniel and smash 4 with loving dengeki bunko

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, for all talk of Smash being "boring" and "taking too long" and "being filled with autists", it still gets more competitors than any non-SF game in TWO different games, and there is (or at least was) VERY little overlap between the two scenes. So it kinda deserves its main stage spot. Plus, I don't find it terribly boring to watch, it just runs way too long - and sets are rarely a blowup, so that makes it even worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly i'd be fine with smash if melee just dropped down to two stocks like smash 4

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Dias posted:

I mean, for all talk of Smash being "boring" and "taking too long" and "being filled with autists", it still gets more competitors than any non-SF game in TWO different games, and there is (or at least was) VERY little overlap between the two scenes. So it kinda deserves its main stage spot. Plus, I don't find it terribly boring to watch, it just runs way too long - and sets are rarely a blowup, so that makes it even worse.

Obviously in this thread you get a lot of very polarized opinions.

The only real thing I hold against it is that it's a pretty different crowd with different

There's definitely some crossover, but there's a ton of hostility towards both sides. So in that regard, it sucks to have it bolted onto EVO and taking away from other things when it doesn't 'fit'. (Which it WILL do because floor/salon space is finite as is time)

Obviously there are Tekken players that don't play SF and vice-versa, but those communities are far more used to coexistence. It was one cool thing about fighting games vs, say, a MOBA which obviously don't result in three of them being crammed into one venue.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hash tag stop smash

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I bet that no more than half the number of people who registered for sfv show up, and next year sfv will be below four digits.

Melee will draw the most viewers by far, will be the main game next year, and be the only Sunday game in 2018. Also everything will run on time, Sonic (WITH CORRECT COLOR ARMS) will hand out juice boxes and animal crackers, and everyone will be really respectful of our needs and wants! :spergin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id also be okay with smash if a guy in a fursuit handed out juice boxes and animal crackers tbh

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm gunna help you all out because i actually know how to and have played competitive melee

the game is very fun to play this way, if you know how and have others who know how to play against

i'd rather put my eyes out with a giant black aids blood smeared dilldoe than watch competitive melee

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

The KI numbers are interesting - seeing a game actually grow in popularity like that, rather than slowly die off. (The SF number is relevant for different reasons since it's 4->5).

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with KI coming out on PC this year.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I bet that no more than half the number of people who registered for sfv show up, and next year sfv will be below four digits.

I will bet any amount of money that sf5 will be in 4 digit entrants next year.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dias posted:

smash can run its own events. it always has. why does it need to be at evo. i mean i know why its because they feel it makes them legitimate and mr wizard has rotten fish guts instead of a mind

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Maybe the SFV numbers are overinflated, but no way it drops too harshly come next year. I kinda think it WILL drop tho, or at least stagnate.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

smash can run its own events. it always has. why does it need to be at evo. i mean i know why its because they feel it makes them legitimate and mr wizard has rotten fish guts instead of a mind

because it's a fighting game like it or not and for the so-called "biggest fighting game tournament in the world" it's kinda dumb to not have the fighting game pulling the second and third best numbers in every tournament

mr wizard hates it just as much as you all do but he also sees that

i hope this was of help

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
shut evo down #shutevodown

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

are they still loving playing four stock eight minutes and best two out of three?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Pomp posted:

No I'm talking about 4 stock on an 8 minute timer. 1 match can take as longer than an entire set for other games.

There were a bunch asking for top 8 to be all bo5 at evo :lmao:

this is especially funny because a lot of top smash players were complaining about burnout and how they should be able to skip rounds of pools because it was so tiring to play melee

and then immediately turned around and asked that smash be best of 5 for top 32

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Kill Melee
Save Smash 4

Then keep Pokken and make those the only Nintendo fighting games at EVO

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

are they still loving playing four stock eight minutes and best two out of three?

Yep, which is frankly idiotic, I think the fourth stock comes into play like, one out of every twenty matches if that. It being 8min is "justified" by it deterring timeout play since it's quite easy to run away in Melee if you pick the right character. I'd rather have a 5min lameout than a 7:25min match with a conclusive ending tho.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

2 stock 2 minutes.

I'd say 1 stock 1 minute but lmbo jigglypuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should make doubles the standard format and play that at evo, it's often faster and there's actually a point to everyone having 4 stocks (more room to play with stocksharing)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

nah, doubles is actually enjoyable to watch, can't have that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

For a game to be in majors it must have

a. high entrants/viewer counts
b. publisher money hat
or
c. both

I'd love to see old games at Evo again but it just aint happening unless we have some kind of FGC apocalypse scenario where all the new games/players die off.

A good idea would have been, instead of spending all the money they did on renting out that concert hall, they announced a 10 grand pot bonus for a classic game a few months ahead of time to highlight an old favorite. That's what I would do if I was mr wizard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

A good idea would have been, instead of spending all the money they did on renting out that concert hall, they announced a 10 grand pot bonus for a classic game a few months ahead of time to highlight an old favorite. That's what I would do if I was mr wizard

karnov's revenge, evo 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dias posted:

because it's a fighting game like it or not and for the so-called "biggest fighting game tournament in the world" it's kinda dumb to not have the fighting game pulling the second and third best numbers in every tournament

mr wizard hates it just as much as you all do but he also sees that

i hope this was of help
Sounds like this mr wizard is a gutless coward who has let big bucks cloud his love of the game

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
if people really gave a gently caress about old games they'd get 2.5k people for marvel 2

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Here's Poongko and Aris fighting at CEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC8AOlI2lH4&t=460s

First time I've seen Akuma actually look pretty fun

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I think they tried to have smash be 3 lives 5 minutes but well that dog didn't hunt monsignor

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Endorph posted:

honestly i'd be fine with smash if melee just dropped down to two stocks like smash 4

I've been a huge fan of this ever since that one Evo where literally the only matches in Top 8 Melee that weren't won by the person who took the first stock were won by Wobbles doing his ToD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i'm fine with sharing events with smash players if there's time and space for the rest of us dudes who don't play street fighter but there is never time and space for the rest of us