Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Did they update the console commands Lua wiki?

I want to play with always day! :science:

You want " file://C:/Program%20Files/Factorio/doc-html/index.html " (or equivalent based on your setup).

code:
/c game.player.surface.always_day=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Factorio: Optimised rendering of huge pollution clouds on map.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Phssthpok posted:

:agreed:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phssthpok posted:

Lmao, didn't even see this when I changed the name. Doing this now.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'm out of town right now. Did they change the huge pollution clouds (and if so can I get a screenshot?) or just tweak the rendering?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Krysmphoenix posted:

I'm out of town right now. Did they change the huge pollution clouds (and if so can I get a screenshot?) or just tweak the rendering?

Look back a page or two, I posted a picture of a forest burning. Some people just want to watch the world burn :)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Woo, now I can go back to playing for fun rather than cheevo hunting :spergin:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One thing is that achievements are used by developers to see how players progress through the game.

If 95% of players have achievements for beating level 1, 90% for 2, 85% for 3 and 35% for 4, then you know that something is wrong with level 4.

I sort of think this doesnt work for factorio though. I played the first campain map, a bit of the second and then jumped right into free play. I dont think ive ever even considered doing the maps after that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah a lot of achievements are mainly for hardcore players. I mean, Evilreaver completed achievements I'll never ever bother with, because to me, they don't seem fun, they just seem frustrating. I prefer doing the fun achievements like "Unlock train in under 1 hour and 30 mins" and "Burn 10,000 trees".

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
At least they didn't do stupid poo poo and gate unlocks behind dumb cheevos

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Platystemon posted:

tl;dr: This all sounds pretty complicated, I’m sure. When 0.13 comes out and the concept becomes practical, I’ll take some screenshots to illustrate it.

I’m keeping this promise now.

Overview:

What does it do?

It eliminates LASER turrets’ idle power consumption, but quickly powers them up when a threat comes within range.

How does it do this?

See that line of power poles outside the wall ? It connects to turrets 1, 2, and 3. They are powered continuously from their own solar and steam power producers. But there isn’t a lot of juice to spare, so the moment one of them fires and tries to recharge, it triggers a brownout. That brings us to the brownout detector:

This is a classic device commonly used in backup power set‐ups. The way it works is that there are two inserters in competition with each other. One is trying to empty a chest, but the other inserter keeps putting the items right back. The key to its operation is that the “filling” inserter is on a stable power grid (say, your main power grid), while the “emptying” inserter is on a grid that can brown out (here, the sentinel grid).

Ignore the blue belt. Yellow works fine.

When that network does brown‐out, the emptying inserter stops working, allowing the filling inserter to pack the chest extra full, with no items in transit on the belt. This abnormally full condition is the signal the power switch uses to tell when it should connect the main bank of turrets to the main power grid (represented here by some test‐mode solar panels).

All those turrets have to charge their internal accumulators before they can fire their first shot, but that happens rather fast—they can charge at 6.2 MW and they have the entire factory’s power production to charge with.

When the aliens have been eliminated, the sentinel turrets stop firing and go back to idle power consumption, halting the brownout condition and throwing the switch to disconnect the main bank of turrets.

Implementation details:

How do we limit the power available to the sentinel turrets so that they’ll brownout when a turret tries to charge?

I bridge their network to a stable steam/solar power network (no accumulators, because accumulators can’t charge each other) with one or more accumulators.

Accumulators can be connected to multiple networks and charge/discharge at the same time, and this can be used to indirectly connect two power grids. Notice how the sentinel grid doesn’t have a direct wire connection to the sentinel power plant. It’s connected only through the accumulator.

Each accumulator can charge/discharge, and therefore transfer power between networks, at a maximum of 300 kW, so one accumulator is needed for every 12.5 sentinel turrets at a minimum, plus 46 kW overhead for the smart inserter in the brownout detector. As long as you don’t have 6.2 MW extra power capacity (that’s 20 extra accumulators, so pretty hard to do accidentally), a brownout will occur when any turret in the line fires and tries to recharge.

P.S.: It used to be possible to slow down aliens with conveyor belts and give turrets more time to fire on them, but the AI no longer likes this—they’ll attack the belts. If the AI is ever changed back, I highly recommend lining the outside of your walls with fields of outward‐pushing conveyor belts.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 1, 2016

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
How do achievements work in multiplayer? Especially lazy bastard. Is that counting both players? Just disabled in multi?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zo posted:

How do achievements work in multiplayer? Especially lazy bastard. Is that counting both players? Just disabled in multi?

No idea, jump into an MP game and see if it tracks them?

Has anyone managed to get the Solaris achievement? I have 2000 panels making 120MW and I put all the steam engines into a box but it's not taking it. The per hour bit makes me wonder too, does it mean game hour or real hour?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
As per the thread title:

I love the combat changes in 0.13, fighting isn't a boring chore any more (it still could be better yes and more automated to fit in with the game theme) but at least it looks like a battlefield now. Smoke, craters, fire and bodies.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Has anyone else noticed the biter expansions seems to be way more aggressive in 0.13? They seem to be expanding right up to the edge of my defensive lines way faster than before.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

BabelFish posted:

Has anyone else noticed the biter expansions seems to be way more aggressive in 0.13? They seem to be expanding right up to the edge of my defensive lines way faster than before.

They also mostly ignore victory poles now, too.
That was a deliberate change.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DmitriX posted:

They also mostly ignore victory poles now, too.
That was a deliberate change.

It's a good change. Previously, you could avoid biters entirely by patrolling the edges of your pollution cloud and dropping poles every so often so that the biters could never expand. Now you have an actual threat to deal with that is constantly pushing your borders.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I will miss victory poles. I used them sometimes, and others not. Don't like not having the option at all.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Just place victory laser turret outposts instead.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Don't they avoid concrete when making a spawner or is that some sort of myth? Because then, as always, the solution is to pave the world.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Oh wow, I didn't use that tactic before 0.13, but now when I decided to use it on my new save they happen to have already fixed it, lol

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 1, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can still mine surfaces you've put concrete over, right?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can still mine surfaces you've put concrete over, right?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yes. The material just pokes through the concrete.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So has game.local_player. been changed to something else? I can't get the console working for anything. I keep getting LuaGameScript doesn't contain key local_player errors.

E;

Digging through the API local_player has been changed to simply: player

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

So has game.local_player. been changed to something else? I can't get the console working for anything. I keep getting LuaGameScript doesn't contain key local_player errors.

E;

Digging through the API local_player has been changed to simply: player

Thank you for this.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

GotLag I really miss your near / side inserters mod, just so you know.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah I'm waiting on a) some documentation b) the weekend so I can update the mod and not have to go to work

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I decided to have a go at the 'build a locomotive in 90 minutes' challenge thinking it wouldn't be too hard. Couple of techs into green science and build 20 engines right? I didn't realise how long the start phase lasts and by the time I had electricity, some furnace lines and such done I'd blown 27 minutes.
Does it take everyone that kind of time? I've no doubt I'll make the time limit but still, time flies while you're having fun.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I managed to build an Oil Refinery in 100 manual crafts.

This required saving up enough materials for Assembly tech and the first Assembler, then turning the initial furnace into a boiler. And also a lot of manual mining.

So you have 11 discretionary crafts to spend on early axes and furnaces.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phssthpok posted:

On my Lazy run, my last six manual crafts were five refineries and a burner inserter. Didn't make an axe at all until green science because the thought literally never occurred to me :doh:

Ratzap posted:

I decided to have a go at the 'build a locomotive in 90 minutes' challenge thinking it wouldn't be too hard. Couple of techs into green science and build 20 engines right? I didn't realise how long the start phase lasts and by the time I had electricity, some furnace lines and such done I'd blown 27 minutes.
Does it take everyone that kind of time? I've no doubt I'll make the time limit but still, time flies while you're having fun.

At my peak I got green science working full bore at 59 minutes, and a rocket defense (:corsair:) at 7 hours. I'm gonna have to have a go at No Spoon sometime, I think rocket launching is slightly easier than rocket defensing.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 2, 2016

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
The mods.factorio.com site won't let me download the Blueprint Strings mod because I don't have a Factorio account to log in with. I've created a Factorio Forums account and I own the game on Steam, but I have no idea how to log in to that site in order to download the dumb mod. Any suggestions?

EDIT: created a factorio.com account but now it still says "insufficient membership", :wtc:

Ignoranus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 2, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ratzap posted:

And done.

Burn baby, burn. On that note, be aware that if you torch a forest and it damaged a nest, they come for you regardless of how far away. But once the fire goes out they stop.

congrats

Ratzap posted:

I'm doing my Lazy Bastard, no solar and other special games in small chunks. I got the LB to green science for example then went back to playing normally. It keeps the whole thing from becoming a horrible grindy chore. Just have to be careful though, I only have 6 crafts left (if 111/111 still counts as a win? I may stick to 110/111 just to be safe) out of which refineries and the rocket silo still need to come.

my current game is on track for:

lazy bastard (at 101/111 at the moment)
logistic embargo
raining bullets
steam all the way

BabelFish posted:

yep

my new neighbors included a big worm

from chatter on the forums, new biter colonies are only prevented from expanding near "built-up" areas, and they always build within 7 chunks of an existing colony

Phssthpok posted:

I managed to build an Oil Refinery in 100 manual crafts.

This required saving up enough materials for Assembly tech and the first Assembler, then turning the initial furnace into a boiler. And also a lot of manual mining.

ah, that's where my extra craft came from then.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

The mods.factorio.com site won't let me download the Blueprint Strings mod because I don't have a Factorio account to log in with. I've created a Factorio Forums account and I own the game on Steam, but I have no idea how to log in to that site in order to download the dumb mod. Any suggestions?

EDIT: created a factorio.com account but now it still says "insufficient membership", :wtc:

I couldn't log into the mod portal in-game until I linked my Steam account to my Factorio account. You need to prove you own the game, I guess? There's a button to do this on your Factorio.com account page.

I wish companies wouldn't make their website accounts and their forum accounts two separate things. It makes really makes no sense.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Man, biters are way more difficult to deal with in the latest version. They're wrecking my poo poo. It doesn't help that I'm not advanced enough yet to have a fully-functioning wall building assembly line set up, so all my poo poo is open to the elements. But still, it's kinda refreshing but also kinda painful that they attack other poo poo now. Before, they'd beeline straight to turrets and only attack walls, but now they get into my base through any weaknesses and tear my stuff up.

I'm looking forward to when my automation is fully functional and I can just wall myself away for good and separate me from them with a great wall of turrets. I'm also on the brink of making my first major railway network which is super exciting too.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Loopoo posted:

Man, biters are way more difficult to deal with in the latest version. They're wrecking my poo poo. It doesn't help that I'm not advanced enough yet to have a fully-functioning wall building assembly line set up, so all my poo poo is open to the elements. But still, it's kinda refreshing but also kinda painful that they attack other poo poo now. Before, they'd beeline straight to turrets and only attack walls, but now they get into my base through any weaknesses and tear my stuff up.

I'm looking forward to when my automation is fully functional and I can just wall myself away for good and separate me from them with a great wall of turrets. I'm also on the brink of making my first major railway network which is super exciting too.

I'm getting absolutely swarmed with biters these games nowadays. On the plus sides,
a) AP rounds still turn them inside out
b) Flamer turrets are excessively :getin: against hordes

best game

e: The more I use gun turrets, the more I like them vs lasers. Their kill speed is sooo much faster, and when blue- or full-upgraded you barely ever need to do more than drop a stack of ammo in them and let 'em sit for just hours and hours. I don't miss the metals, and there's no more beep-on-chip-damage perma-beeping so just A+ all around.

Maybe I've been burned by too many bad games lately but Factorio is just so far ahead of the quality curve I can't stand it.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 2, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's beep-on-chip-damage?

And yeah Factorio is one of those games I can sink hours into and fully enjoy every second of it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

Maybe I've been burned by too many bad games lately but Factorio is just so far ahead of the quality curve I can't stand it.

0.13 is pretty drat good for a first take and they'll knock the bugs out fast if past performance is anything to go by. This release has so many improvements and no huge downside. I'd call the mod portal the worst part of 0.13 so far, it needs a lot of work IMO before it's really useful.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Loopoo posted:

What's beep-on-chip-damage?

the klaxon that sounded when anything was damaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ratzap posted:

0.13 is pretty drat good for a first take and they'll knock the bugs out fast if past performance is anything to go by. This release has so many improvements and no huge downside. I'd call the mod portal the worst part of 0.13 so far, it needs a lot of work IMO before it's really useful.

Is there a reason they didn't just do Steam Workshop, and instead, looked at the abomination that was the KSP mod portal, and said "HELL YES LETS DO THAT?"