Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Cheese Pain posted:

I actually came to the thread just now to express adoration for the people who friended me because I love the game going, "You're all out of hearts! You wanna buy gems now, right, you sad addict?" and then I just pull all my hearts out of my inbox and keep on trucking. :sparkles:

The power of friendship triumphs over the freemium business model? I never thought I'd see the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Well I'm gonna run a Big Eyes, Small Mouth campaign...

In a mecha setting :negative:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The only time I felt the game was truly unfair was the Usagi event. It may be frustrating, but if I take a day off the RNG gods seem to smile upon me. But getting an inbox full of hearts? Now that makes the moon go round. :v:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Precisely! If only I had friends during the Usagi event. :sigh:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Trying to get the key on 179 just so you don't have to rely on three people to send you a pass to the next set of stages is almost as unfair as the Usagi event.

Almost

Edit: added everyone up thread already. ww2f706dc is my code for any latecomers.

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 1, 2016

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I didn't realize this game existed until you guys started talking about it. Thanks for that. My friend code is wwe9b1b76

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Well if you really have your heart set on a magical girl-like game you might still be able to pull of something vaguely Nanoha-ish.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

:stare: Whoa, no need to cut your throat there. BESM has always been rather a mess, even if the third edition toned down the excesses by mostly rebuilding it from the ground up. That said, if you are still planning on running it then at the very least I highly recommend that you use 3E and tweak the scaling factors to all work the same way, ala Mutants and Masterminds. A friend of mine is playing in that sort of scenario (BESM mecha) right now, and they've pretty much agreed that his gun probably shouldn't have a range of 10,000 km if no one has even a chance of getting near him before he fires the thing.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

I mean, maybe I'm just biased, but free protip, y'all: a max level Mercury + some halfway decent skill at making 4-chains will decimate most boards. Hint: combine an explosion and a row/column cleaner

All I do is play Ami unless the game forces me to play someone else, since I have her maxed out. I have Rei maxed out, and Usa + Minako at LV 3, and Mako at LV 1 finally lol.

If anyone does need help with a Ribbon Block, I always press the "Accept" button on requests. My sister does not, which is why I haven't posted her code lol. She's a "sweat of your brow" kinda player, even if she does send hearts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NGDBSS posted:

:stare: Whoa, no need to cut your throat there. BESM has always been rather a mess, even if the third edition toned down the excesses by mostly rebuilding it from the ground up.
My favorite anecdote from the development of 3e is that the people doing it couldn't get permission from the creator to change how combat attack/defense rolls worked from the way it did in 1e and 2e, until they sat him down and forced him to play through a combat using the current rules. After which he immediately agreed to the change.

This explains a lot about the balance of 2e.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zereth posted:

My favorite anecdote from the development of 3e is that the people doing it couldn't get permission from the creator to change how combat attack/defense rolls worked from the way it did in 1e and 2e, until they sat him down and forced him to play through a combat using the current rules. After which he immediately agreed to the change.

Got a link to that? I've heard it before secondhand, but never seen someone's firsthand account.

Guardians of Order weren't quite as terrible as Kevin Siembieda has been at designing rules badly by not actually testing them as written, but they were still up there. These were the folks who printed a "Role-Playing Game Manifesto" that, mixed in with some reasonable stuff, basically said that bad rules weren't their problem but rather the problem of the participants.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No, sadly. Hearing that the original creator mostly used the rules as vague guidelines and winged everything explains a lot about BESM 2e, though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Revolutionary Girl Yuma

So close...

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

RickVoid posted:

:justpost:

I don't care if it's awful.

Well, since you asked.

I have no goddamn clue where my original writings are, but the basic idea is that Ragnarok is coming. That's inevitable. But the timeline of when is up in the air. So the Norse Gods select mortal champions with certain abilities to stave it off. These people are 'Chaos Containers' and have a sort of Megaman like ability to absorb and repurpose types of magic that can be used to hasten or delay Ragnarok.

So it's time to select some new Champions. But, Loki tells them, champions are different in this day and age (Because he's a trickster god, even if he doesn't want Ragnarok to happen any more than anyone else- He knows it involves being chained up and having acid dripped on him, and he wants to avoid that too- he still likes pulling jokes on his friends and family) and shows off poo poo like Magical girl shows to the assemblage. Thor especially finds this fascinating, so decides he shall dub his champion "The Viking Knight, Champion of Thor" and comes up with a ludicrously anime costume to give his champion, who is your standard hot blooded hero you'd expect to find in a 70-80s mecha anime.

Anyways, dude meets his animal companion/ personal trainer who gives him the skinny, a lot of 'why should I bother' happens, and then eventually homeboy figures why not.

So some training happens, and then naturally some monsters attack his hometown. He transforms for the first time, then finds a trash can and burns his costume. Refuses to ever transform again, since he has his learner's Mjolnir (I had some name for it, but it was essentially a copy of Mjolnir, as Thor's champion should wield a similar weapon, according to Thor) and he fights the first monster, a Laser Firing Giant Yak buck naked. He also has to fight it Shadow of the Collosus Style.

One part of the story was against a magician with vaguely defined void powers- his deal was that he thought he was Odin, so he had pet crows and a void attack called the sacrificial eye that sucked VKT into "an undending hellscape for all eternity" only for VKT to walk out of another void moments later talking about all the strange people he met. This dumb no-sell was an excuse for a side story series where VKT found himself bouncing from Magical Girl Universe to Magical Girl Universe and being very confused by the whole thing. I know he had bounced into a few different iterations of Sailor Moon, and was occasionally aware of being in different universe created by meddling and editing.
He also went to Utena because it too involved some Magical Girl trope deconstruction.

The most concrete thing I remember was that the final fight was against another Chaos Container who wanted to hasten Ragnarok and rebuild the world in his image, and VKT decided in the end that he was just going to try and stop Ragnarok by any means, because gently caress prophecy, I like this planet, and it teased a sort of 'season 2' where he fought the gods.

I never did much of anything with it, partly because Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki came out at about the same time I started writing.
Saying that, I think it's important to note my version didn't have gender bending in it. Just a lot of Magical girl and Sentai tropes being made fun of and examined.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Also, I understand why they did it but I hate that Tuxedo Mask wants to rescue me with freemium moves in Drops. gently caress you, Tuxedo Mask, I don't NEED your help. I do this poo poo myself. :black101:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Zereth posted:

When I ran BESM 2E I ended up just running with what sounded cool as far as combat went. "You want to do what? Okay, roll it." Then i mostly ignored the roll in favor of what would be awesome to happen. Not that I actually TOLD the players that that's what was going on. But if they wanted to do something cool, they generally succeeded regardless of what the dice said. Enough of the underlying numbers were hidden from the players (see: enemy stats) that they never caught on. I can't even imagine playing combat straight in that edition anymore.

Character creation was pretty great, though.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Ryushikaze posted:

Well, since you asked.

I have no goddamn clue where my original writings are, but the basic idea is that Ragnarok is coming. That's inevitable. But the timeline of when is up in the air. So the Norse Gods select mortal champions with certain abilities to stave it off. These people are 'Chaos Containers' and have a sort of Megaman like ability to absorb and repurpose types of magic that can be used to hasten or delay Ragnarok.

So it's time to select some new Champions. But, Loki tells them, champions are different in this day and age (Because he's a trickster god, even if he doesn't want Ragnarok to happen any more than anyone else- He knows it involves being chained up and having acid dripped on him, and he wants to avoid that too- he still likes pulling jokes on his friends and family) and shows off poo poo like Magical girl shows to the assemblage. Thor especially finds this fascinating, so decides he shall dub his champion "The Viking Knight, Champion of Thor" and comes up with a ludicrously anime costume to give his champion, who is your standard hot blooded hero you'd expect to find in a 70-80s mecha anime.

Anyways, dude meets his animal companion/ personal trainer who gives him the skinny, a lot of 'why should I bother' happens, and then eventually homeboy figures why not.

So some training happens, and then naturally some monsters attack his hometown. He transforms for the first time, then finds a trash can and burns his costume. Refuses to ever transform again, since he has his learner's Mjolnir (I had some name for it, but it was essentially a copy of Mjolnir, as Thor's champion should wield a similar weapon, according to Thor) and he fights the first monster, a Laser Firing Giant Yak buck naked. He also has to fight it Shadow of the Collosus Style.

One part of the story was against a magician with vaguely defined void powers- his deal was that he thought he was Odin, so he had pet crows and a void attack called the sacrificial eye that sucked VKT into "an undending hellscape for all eternity" only for VKT to walk out of another void moments later talking about all the strange people he met. This dumb no-sell was an excuse for a side story series where VKT found himself bouncing from Magical Girl Universe to Magical Girl Universe and being very confused by the whole thing. I know he had bounced into a few different iterations of Sailor Moon, and was occasionally aware of being in different universe created by meddling and editing.
He also went to Utena because it too involved some Magical Girl trope deconstruction.

The most concrete thing I remember was that the final fight was against another Chaos Container who wanted to hasten Ragnarok and rebuild the world in his image, and VKT decided in the end that he was just going to try and stop Ragnarok by any means, because gently caress prophecy, I like this planet, and it teased a sort of 'season 2' where he fought the gods.

I never did much of anything with it, partly because Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki came out at about the same time I started writing.
Saying that, I think it's important to note my version didn't have gender bending in it. Just a lot of Magical girl and Sentai tropes being made fun of and examined.

This set up is pretty rad. I'm also a sucker for having to sotc a motherfucker and interesting uses of old pantheons. God I forgot about Yuuki, not sure if I should catch up on that or if it's not good now.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

This set up is pretty rad. I'm also a sucker for having to sotc a motherfucker and interesting uses of old pantheons. God I forgot about Yuuki, not sure if I should catch up on that or if it's not good now.

Moving to Australia has not improved the rate at which Kittyhawk puts up chapters. More and more characters have been figuring out that there's something very deeply wrong with Yuuki, but then they all decided to go get drunk instead of dealing with an eldritch horror in magical girl form. :shrug:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Hm. I may get back into that one just to see how crazy it gets. Much like what I do with let's plays.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I ran into her at a Con and gave her the same basic synopsis about the series as I gave you, and she said she'd definitely read my version if I ever started writing it again. Maybe I should do that one kf these days.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ardeem posted:

Moving to Australia has not improved the rate at which Kittyhawk puts up chapters. More and more characters have been figuring out that there's something very deeply wrong with Yuuki, but then they all decided to go get drunk instead of dealing with an eldritch horror in magical girl form. :shrug:

I did not know that comic still existed, but the fact that it's still glacial will probably keep me from going anywhere near it until the creator finishes/croaks.

Hey let's see if I can upload this update now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What is this Bejeweled clone y'all are talking about?

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Aces High posted:

What is this Bejeweled clone y'all are talking about?

Sailor Moon Drops is a phone game from Namco/Bandai. It's super fun but also infuriating. Pretty sure it's on both Android and IOS?

...join us... :zombie:

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

NGDBSS posted:

:stare: Whoa, no need to cut your throat there. BESM has always been rather a mess, even if the third edition toned down the excesses by mostly rebuilding it from the ground up. That said, if you are still planning on running it then at the very least I highly recommend that you use 3E and tweak the scaling factors to all work the same way, ala Mutants and Masterminds. A friend of mine is playing in that sort of scenario (BESM mecha) right now, and they've pretty much agreed that his gun probably shouldn't have a range of 10,000 km if no one has even a chance of getting near him before he fires the thing.

Considering google puts the circumference of the earth at about 40,000km I think it would be reasonable to mark that down to "Anything in visual range on the surface, full range into space". Even if his gun could shoot that far there's still the problem of target acquisition right?

Then again you may run into problems like players using spotters 1/4 the world away to provide telemetry so they can shoot through the planet...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I noticed the PnP chat, and have to recommend the archives for the F.A.T.A.L. and Friends thread: http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/

Of course the real answers for playing any game regardless of genre is RIFTS.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ardeem posted:

So it's turned into an allegory for Australian politics?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

FractalSandwich posted:

So it's turned into an allegory for Australian politics?

... Would that make Hermod Tony Abbott? Actually, let's not go down that rabbit hole.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This is this the first I've heard of this comic. I couldn't reciprocate even if I wanted to.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Cheese Pain posted:

Sailor Moon Drops is a phone game from Namco/Bandai. It's super fun but also infuriating. Pretty sure it's on both Android and IOS?

...join us... :zombie:

gently caress the horrible curse this thread has laid upon innocent goons.

wwd2c5cf1

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Gutter Owl posted:

gently caress the horrible curse this thread has laid upon innocent goons.

wwd2c5cf1

Man, this game is concentrated cute.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will not fall for this thread's mobage raps and rhymes.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I have.

ww52d7109

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this thread is slowly descending into the sailor moon megathread

not that I'm complaining

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, as long as an LP happens somewhere within, not much to complain about. I'd bite on the sailor bejeweled, but I already got my ticket punched on the mobile game front.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
ww9578aa7

Add the naga.

flocons de mais
Oct 4, 2008
I'll join in on the Moon drops

ww2530ae6 -- usagihinorei because yes nerd supremo.

And thank you for running this LP Scoob! I have been enjoying the presentation and the sass.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I can always use more free hearts to feed my addiction friends! I'm RomanaMako-chan, id wwf2899bd

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I refuse to fall into this trap again, not after candy crush saga.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

So we regain control of Mars in a temple. It's actually much larger than it needs to be and it winds past a bunch of portraits... which are all smaller versions of the larger one in shot two. Seriously. They just cut a bit of it out. Imagine a temple somewhere where there's one Last Supper and then just smaller bits showing two people at a time around the building.

There's also this, which could in no way be ominous.

Anyway, the story won't move along until we look at the fuckoff huge ruby (seriously that is the size of Mars' head if not larger), so let's get this show on the road.

That surge of evil energy must of* come from this jewel... But why is such an evil thing in such a holy temple?
HEY!!

Oh, I wasn't doing anything at all. Just having a look at this beautiful jewel! I'll take my leave now...
(Mars moves to leave, and the monks surround her.)
Wait, you suspicious person! You must be after our sacred stone, the Gemetus Ruby!

Please note this is also not a prior Sailor Moon thing. This game will not stop making up new magical stones, holy poo poo

I'm pretty sure these dudes aren't based on actual SM enemies, at least nothing I recognize from the first 3 seasons. I'm also pretty sure that these dudes are just human monks despite what is said at the end of this battle, because...

...everyone dies in one hit from being lit on fire, sort of like normal humans tend to and Youma almost never do.

ALSO YOUMA DON'T USUALLY LEAVE CORPSES, MARS. YOU KILLED SOME PEOPLE.

Anyway, when people see her standing in a sacred hall surrounded by dead bodies, their first response is "get into formation to take this lunatic down".

Explain yourself!
I only came in here to break up some evil... w-what?
(Mars, clearly about to try and flee or kill some more people or whatever, suddenly finds herself stuck in place. Behind her, the ruby glows menacingly... and the monks all bring her to her knees in a few blows.)
That does it... stop that!
(Short Round A mysterious figure drops down from the roof.)

Hey, this seems like as good a time as any: let's talk about the Moonlight Knight!

So while some of the anime diverged from the manga arcs in minor details, there was only one anime-only storyline, and it sounds... really dumb when you take it out of context. Two space-siblings who were born from a tree came to Earth and tried draining Naru about 50 times to revive the dying tree. Anyway the reason we're going there is that for convoluted reasons we won't go into here** there was a slightly racist magical being running around saving ladies. You should probably realize how lovely an idea this was based on the fact that not even the musicals, which deviate from canon in amazing ways, have never even touched this dude.

This totally isn't going to come into play in this chapter.

(Mars picks herself up in a daze and stares into the man's eyes.)
Jadeite...? But I didn't find the stone yet... (She shakes her head.) Wait, you aren't... Who are you?
My name's Faregg. What's yours?

I'm also going to tell you this right now: this chapter is horrendous in this translation because of a lot of confusing editing failures and boy I really hope one of the masochists can take a look at this in Japanese just to clarify it for me. "Faregg" has his name change repeatedly (from "Faregg" to "Fareg", the latter of which is an actual goddamn name***), there are a lot of refernences to Jadeite as a religious figure, a type of worship, a stone, and other things, and the one thing that continues to leave me baffled...

THESE TWO LOOK NOTHING ALIKE.

All goddamn chapter Mars keeps going "Wow Fareg looks like Jadeite" and NO, NO HE DOESN'T.

Anyway, Mars passes out and Fareg carries her out of here. This also isn't going to get weird later! Keep it in mind.

We're now in Fareg's village, and NPCs will talk about how he's gone off to talk with the Elder for... it's unclear why. Doubly so later.

Let's just take a look at some of the things we can learn around town, shall we?

• "Fareg is the grandson of the village's oldest man. He is completely untouchable." a) I'm pretty sure this is a brilliant pun that didn't translate properly. b) They actually label him Fareg here.
  • "Have you become like Jadeite-sama?"
  • "If I master the eyes of my heart, I shall understand, like Jadeite always said."

Anyway, we need to wander into the elder's house to progress, so let's do that. There's a shop here but it's kinda trash.

Incidentally: nobody has told her the name of this village so far. I checked. Editing!

Most of this is boring so let's skip ahead to where it gets even more bonkers:

Fareg, have you ever heard of such a stone?
No, but maybe we could ask the High Priest at the Takra Kuhp Temple.
Gege... the temple from before? I really don't want to return... but it can't be helped, can it?

(I have no idea what noise that is supposed to be. I'm the worst weeaboo, guys.)

(Mars goes to leave, and Fareg blocks her way, at first subtly, then just blatantly.)
What the heck are you doing?
Women can't go there alone.
But, I'm a...

NO. The correct answer is "I ALREADY SNUCK IN ONCE, DUDE". Jesus, game!

Well, why can't you listen? I could go instead of you*.
It'd be too dangerous for you! The enemy wouldn't think twice about killing you!

...And this is where Fareg should go "Who saved who, again?" but he doesn't.

Mmm, you're a stubborn one. It'd be much easier if you just listened. Do you even know what the Daisoujou looks like?

LPer's note: "High priest". They don't explain this anywhere in this conversation.

That is, uh... no. (She shakes her head.) It'll be dangerous, but can you come with me?
Oh jeez. You never listen, do you?

He then proceeds to leap into our body and vanish. At this point I feel I just want to point out how incredibly weird this game is about "NPC party members" as a whole: if someone is people, they will hop into your leader's body. But if they aren't, and we'll see this later, they're shown on-screen at all times following you, like Luna in Chapter One. It just bugs me.

So now comes the part where I grind a bit because, again, level 6. (No, the monk boss fight did not level us.)

Gesen was a real dickbag of an arcade troll. His name is almost certainly a contraction of "Game Center", he had a video game controller as a belt, and he tended to mess with crane games so he had an extendable claw. Basically he's Sentai Captain N.

Meanwhile, Avogadora was mangled so badly it took me a while to figure out who she was supposed to be from name alone. I actually had to pull out the Complete Book of Yoma**** and go looking at the images. She is basically the Chiquita Banana mascot gone evil and her sword is supposed to be banana-hilted.

At this point, it's time to point out how Mars plays: she's offense-heavy and takes a decent amount of damage herself. If we can get the first hit, which her speed is key in doing, the odds are good we can kill off any fodder after a level or two is gained. If we can't, we're going to eat a round of bruises. Mars is the first character who I need to watch my health between random encounters with.

Unlike Mercury's scenario, I don't remember this one so well, so my logic of "Go into the cave we're not supposed to be in" does not net me her Ruby accessories. It does, however, introduce me to...

...these palette swaps! Who as far as I can tell are still not based on any anime dudes. I mostly mention them because if we're lucky, well...

...we get a lot of good stuff from these dudes. LasaWater is just a generic 80HP potion, but sometimes they drop LifeCrepes, which are a revive-from-death item that restores 300HP in the process. Now, in Chapter Two, because everyone is solo, that doesn't mean much since one KO means a game over, but here's the thing: you can use revival items as cure potions. This means we have what's basically a full heal dropped by these assholes every so often.

I also learned that if you sequence-break like this, Mars will call out the place we need to come later in the plot to progress, but then she just goes "Now isn't the time."

Returning to the temple, this time a monk is guarding the place. We actually don't have to interact with him, but if we do, we can handle him in one of two ways when he asks if we've seen the person who tried and failed to rob the temple:

"No" causes us to violently shake our head and get this delightful request. He will then just stop talking to us.

Meanwhile, "Yes" will have a stammering Mars go "Yeah, they went that-a-way" and he runs off to get "them", leading to Mars doing a little victory dance.

Anyway, the temple's still the same as before, no random encounters, all the same hallways, so let's just jump to the part where the boss fight happens.

Who could have done this?
Surely if you found Jedite's* stone, there'd be people that'd be annoyed?
Yeah, there would be... but they don't know I'm here.
If they notice you here, they'll know.
But who would do this to someone who isn't involved at all?
Are you okay?
Huh?
Yeah, but the high priest doesn't seem to be dead.

At this point I feel I need to point out that's not my edit, they really did just drop "high priest" there instead of "Daisoujou". It is impossible to stress how much of a fever dream this subchapter is. I transcribed all of that letter for letter.

Mars, what's wrong? Your face is turning red...
Y-yes, it's nothing... well... is the High Priest safe here?

Yes, they just began capitalizing that out of nowhere.

Ah! You just gave me an idea! If we analyze the High Priest's thoughts, we'll know how to transform him back!

NO NOTHING HINTED AT THIS PRIOR, NOT EVEN NPC DIALOGUE.

(The screen turns dark and Fareg makes a pose that is two pixels off of being Hadji's "seem seem salabim" from Jonny Quest.)
Gemetu... Ru... Ruby... free me... please...
(The screen returns to normal.)
I understand! The Gemetus Ruby... The Gemetus Ruby is freeing him!

SERIOUSLY THIS IS ALL TAKEN STRAIGHT FROM THE GAME YOU GUYS.

Of course! The surge of evil energy was from that ruby! That Gemetus Ruby must have turned him into stone!
(At this point, in what may be the dumbest animation of the chapter, the stone begins flying above them all and hovers over the statue's head, starting a boss fight for ??? reason.)

Daisoujou died in one hit because Mars is a motherfucking cannon.

At this point, I'm just going to voice some suspicions about this chapter. We're in Nepal, so the odds are good this whole region and temple are supposed to be Hindu of some sort. I can't recognize what the images on the walls are meant to represent, but this boss is Hindi as gently caress. A part of me wonders if the reason a lot of text here comes out like such a clusterfuck is that it's actually incredibly religion-tinged in some fashion and the translators bulldozed over it or didn't get what was being laid out. None of it is recognizable to me, but we've also seen that some of this is straight up made up in the patch, so I can't rely on that.

I might have been a real nerd for religion at one point, so this bugs the poo poo out of me, you guys.

We beat the Youma from the Gemetus Ruby, and the people who were being controlled by it have returned to normal!

...So by that logic, yes, Mars just murdered 4 men.

Fufun... You may think you've done it, but...
Who's there?!
(Nergal teleports in behind her.)
My name is Nergal. I'm Anshar's faithful servant, and you... are the Senshi I must kill!
Why do you do all these mean things?

Mars, no, that's... that's not the appropriate response to a declaration of murderous intent at all.

Anyway, Nergal's plan to murder Mars is three steps long, and absolutely convoluted to the point of idiocy:

Step one: kick Fareg in the dick and grab him, telling Mars "If you want him back, come to this city you have absolutely never heard of", teleporting herself, him, and Mars' twin ravens Phobos and Deimos away with her.

Sailor Mars has twin ravens, by the way, it barely comes up after a certain point in any version of the story because "two space birds" has nothing on "elemental goddess of flame".

Step two: leave one of said ravens inside a cavern that we only know to go to because Mars is a spirit medium (I'll explain this shortly), to guide her to...

Step three: ...a fight at the top of the Tower of Babel which is hidden inside a cavern somewhere.

I'm just saying, the actual steps Mars has to go through to find Nergal's dumb rear end are ludicrously complex. I'm simplifying this greatly. Let's return to step one and go on with the plot and you can see for yourself.

The Gemetus Ruby flashes one more time and turns the high priest back into himself, so he can actually talk to us now and boy is he a fountain of exposition. Let's just do the adventure game version:

• "Where the hell is Kritayuga?*****" "It's north of Yaga village. It's ruins now, just like Yuga."
  • "What the hell do you mean Yaga is ruins?" "Yeah, for over 50 years now."
  • "That's bullcrap, I was just there." "So you need to go to Kritayuga?"
  • "Yes. What can you tell me about it?" "It was an ancient place of worship for a god known as 'Jadeite'."
  • "How do I get there?" "Take this token, it's a key plot trigger, so keep it in the good inventory all RPG protagonists have that prevents you from dropping the Sun Stone whenever you go to snag a potion midfight."
  • "That didn't answer my question, but I must go." "Toodles!"

Returning to Yaga will indeed show us that it's in ruins now, so clearly the correct move is not "get on with the game", but "go into the Elder's house because that's what sane people do".

And by "sane people" I mean "powergamers". Take a wild guess what's in those two treasure chests beside him!

This story comes down to "Wait, were you all ghosts the whole time?" "Yeah, it seemed easier to make an entire fake village for you than just admit that." "Fareg too?" "No, he's a whole other weirdness. Sorry. Go to the northern cave, peace."

And now we can murder the boss without any issue. These are a bare-minimum boost to attack, but what they do pull off is a massive buff to our Defense/Speed stats, so that we have nothing to fear for the rest of this chapter since we'll be first-hitting and taking much less pain from anything that survives the first round with us.

Entering the northern cave now, we're going to be greeted by Phobos, who will now chirp when we near the right wall for the event. I feel I need to point out that there is actually no sane path through here, it's just a bunch of dead ends, and the "correct" path is a single nondescript wall that isn't at the end of anything, but actually in the middle of a loop.

But, to be fair, this is why a raven is guiding us, as when it comes on screen, Phobos will fly next to it rather than trail us. Using the token from the high priest will open the wall, and let us into...

...a castle that consists of the massive tower I mentioned, and a statue of Jadeite. AND NO THEY loving DON'T, REI.

There are actually new enemies in here, the most potent in the chapter, but by this point a single Flame Mandala is like napalm striking an oil field: everything goes to the firiest hell real fast.

Kyurene and Octave both used sonic waves to attack. Octave was made of a mad scientist shoving an alien egg into a violin. Sailor Moon gets loving weird, yo.

Other than the new enemies, though, this chapter has run out of steam like a motherfucker. The final ascent is this same room 5 times, most of the NPCs in the world are dead or vanished, and we only have a boss fight to cover now.

You notice how I'm just transcribing less and less at this point? It's because the dialogue is insipid or nonsensical, and it's not even funny anymore. I'll cover the post-fight dialogue, but there's an actual exchange here of "Wait, is Fareg alright?" "I'll tell you when you lose!" "Fine, let's just go."

Just like Nabu last sub-chapter, Nergal has two attacks: a status effect, and an EP-consuming attack worth a lot more damage. I tried standing still for multiple rounds and she never used the latter for me to capture it, so finally I just immolated her.

This sums up Nergal. Seriously, this is her entire schtick: "I wanna be the strongest". All Apsu has to promise her is that she'll be Sailor Scout tier.

Hey, wake up! If you're still alive, answer me!
...nnn? What is this place?
(Fareg gets up.)
What's wrong? Your eyes are red...
Idiot! I was worried sick about you!

And you totally just got in a slapfight with a muscley lady.

But... you're still alive!
(Mars rushes forward to hug him and just goes straight through him.)
Huh???
Um, forgive me, Mars, but... as a matter of fact, my body isn't real. My soul is the only thing left.

Hey, remember when I said it was weird that Fareg carried Mars to the village? This is why. He can't touch things. I'm also certain this is what the "Fareg is untouchable" line was meant to foreshadow.

That's not true! If it were, I'd have to be a ghost just to understand you. You're not a ghost!!

Also this is where Mars is being an idiot, because she's dealt with ghosts before. She can see spirits. Sorry, Mars.

Mars... The people of Yaga village were there to protect the Takra Kuhp temple. Over centuries, all those people came to the village to pray... That's why I came.
To pray?
Ah... no. That was my invitation. People from Kritayuga were many among those who protected the temple. Those people worshipped Jadeite at Takra Kuhp... and those prayers gave me this appearance.

So... this makes no sense from a geography or history perspective based on what we're told. Yaga village is a ways off from the temple, which has its own village that clearly has residents who are not ghosts. Kritayuga was a castle/tower inside a cave which was locked far away from both! So how in the hell does Fareg, the ghost of a dude from Yaga who guarded Takra Kuhp, somehow have anything to do with Kritayuga, this abandoned city!

I loving hate this chapter!

NO GODDAMNIT SHUT UP

OH MY GOD LUNA THAT IS THE LEAST APPROPRIATE TONE TO TAKE HERE.

And then we just get dumped in a Canadian wilderness park with no dialogue. Next time: the land my ex moved to!

* Their grammatical error, not mine.
** "Because Endymion wasn't a Sailor Scout, Luna could not restore his memories after he was returned from corpsehood, so he just went on being a normal dude who was creeped out by this young teen creeping on him, but his subconscious + psychic powers caused him to create a weird cultural stereotype golem who dressed up like a Lawrence of Arabia extra that tossed (white) roses and attacked things with a scimitar to aid the girls when they were in trouble. Endymion's subconscious might be a wee bit racist since it didn't just like... create a projection of Tuxedo Mask again."
*** And because Fareg is a real name, that's just what I'm transcribing it as.
**** Yes, this is a real thing I own.
***** Which is likely supposed to be "Krita Yuga", which is incredibly weird as a name of a city, since a Yuga is a measure of time in the Hindu faith. I'm greatly simplifying, but this is really weird to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
also:

eeeeeeeat itttttttt

ww62424bf and I'll probably clear the list to add some of y'all later, right now I am going to light my neighbor on fire like a martyred monk near Sailor Mars because it's 6AM and this motherfucker is blaring Pink Floyd at 105dB

• Locked thread