Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I just watched Welcome to Leith and highly recommend it. It frontloads the horrible beliefs of its subjects, so when they're down you almost have a moment of sympathy before remembering "oh poo poo, that guy is a Nazi monster idiot." Are there any other documentaries on US neo-nazis? I need some fascist schadenfreude.

Louis and the Nazis (in part) follows one of the men that is mentioned in Welcome to Leith. It's on Netflix UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I just watched Welcome to Leith and highly recommend it. It frontloads the horrible beliefs of its subjects, so when they're down you almost have a moment of sympathy before remembering "oh poo poo, that guy is a Nazi monster idiot." Are there any other documentaries on US neo-nazis? I need some fascist schadenfreude.

Maybe my favorite 90's skinhead hype movie:

SKINHEAD USA: Soldiers Of The Race War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKefV8_0cs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Saw Last Man on the Moon on Netflix. It's a pretty interesting look at the space race, and one of the astronauts involved. Man, all those shots of the launch center empty and rusted...

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Watched "Drunk, Stoned, Brilliant, Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon" felt like a kid again trying to sneak a peak of the magazine for the occasional bare breasts. Interesting who's who of comedy but seemed to scratch the surface in some ways.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just watched O.J. Simpson: Made in America (which I haven't seen being discussed much around here - or am I just missing a discussion thread?) and holy poo poo it is an incredibly compelling documentary. As someone who was six when the trial was going on, I only have vague memories of it and by the time I was old enough to be interested in true crime stories it had basically become fodder for tired rehashing by tabloids. I never truly understood the significance of O.J. as a cultural figure and was unaware of many of the details surrounding the case. What I found amazing about Made in America is how it manages to be an amazing documentary both on O.J. himself as an individual and on race relations in America.

It's incredibly nuanced and complex, resonates with immense cultural significance (as I think A.O. Scott wrote in his review, in the '90s a lot of people thought the whole trial was being overblown; watching it today, it's amazing that it hasn't remained a bigger deal over the last two decades), and has so many great interviews and revelations that I wasn't once bored in its entire runtime despite being familiar with the outlines of the story. I was reminded in its deft use of interviews, archival footage, photographs, and written material to craft a compelling narrative of horrible events of One Day in September, which I still consider one of the best crime/thriller documentaries ever made. Each episode is well balanced, including the final episode, which tracks O.J.'s descent into a sleazy oblivion and ends on an appropriately tragic and ironic note. I never thought I'd say this, but I wish it was longer than its 7.5 hour runtime.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've seen all the Charlie Brooker stuff so other than that are there any decent documentaries about videogames? I kind of grew up watching them turn from the geeky niche spectrum/amstrad/commodore 64 pixellated poo poo into the multi-genre behemoth they are now and it's been fascinating.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The King of Kong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc-P8Kyvnz4

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Free to play: Multiplayer gaming: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3203290/

And the one I really like:

Indie game to Movie. About the guys who made Super Meat Boy and Fez:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942884/

Both I found really enjoyable.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cactus posted:

I've seen all the Charlie Brooker stuff so other than that are there any decent documentaries about videogames? I kind of grew up watching them turn from the geeky niche spectrum/amstrad/commodore 64 pixellated poo poo into the multi-genre behemoth they are now and it's been fascinating.

I love Charlie Brooker from screen wipe and dead set. I'm not familiar with his game stuff. What's it called?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MeinPanzer posted:

Just watched O.J. Simpson: Made in America (which I haven't seen being discussed much around here - or am I just missing a discussion thread?)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779690

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I never get tired of seeing white power bands/punks in documentaries because it's always the lamest thing to hear/watch.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

GutBomb posted:

I love Charlie Brooker from screen wipe and dead set. I'm not familiar with his game stuff. What's it called?

https://youtu.be/_PKZCg5okDk

I believe this is the one, I haven't seen it in a while so there may be a different one he's talking about.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
There was also Gameswipe, and he often touches on them in his annual end-of-year review type show (201x wipe or whatever it's called)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I never get tired of seeing white power bands/punks in documentaries because it's always the lamest thing to hear/watch.

It was always hype. They got off on looking tough and the media loved them for it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Been on sort of a documentary binge the last couple days and the most recent I saw was I Know That Voice. I know it's older but the way it's done is fantastic and I couldn't stop smiling and laughing the entire time. It's especially great hearing how some of the actors came up with voices for characters and hilarious watching them get into character on a moment's notice.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

The Smash Brothers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSf2mgkRm7Q
This is super fascinating as it shows the early days of competitive gaming (on a console mind you) and pre-dates the internet. The passion and nerdiness at play makes the movie quite charming. A really solid series considering how low budget it appears to be.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Smash Brothers was pretty fun I thought, though I already knew who a lot of the subjects from that were from when I paid a little attention to competitive Smash Bros. back in the day.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Jesus, HBO's Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War is good. Extremely unpleasant (especially the closeup of the dude dying at the end) but very well done. Can't really say more right now, need to sleep on it.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Jesus, HBO's Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War is good. Extremely unpleasant (especially the closeup of the dude dying at the end) but very well done. Can't really say more right now, need to sleep on it.

I liked it a lot. But it's funny how even with a legitimate and great POV I still found the director's voiceover overbearing.

It doesn't diminish the great work, but him saying things like, "it was then I knew I didn't care about dying anymore" while filming himself in the mirror feel incredibly false and performative.

But yeah, holy crap. The ending. Reminds me of moments (like after a car accident or something) where it feels like life has derailed for a moment and you're looking at things from a distant perspective.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I watched Allan King's Warrendale (1967) and it blew me away. It's a fly-on-the-wall depiction of a residential treatment center for troubled kids in Canada that uses an alternative method of therapy that involves holding the kids down when they're having fits. It's kind of disturbing to witness but from reading about it, it seems like it was actually effective in reaching them. Whenever a kid has an emotional breakthrough it's extremely moving. Reminded me of those great moments in Streetwise. Absolute must-see for fans of vérité.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
hell yeah, I'm all about watching a docu on alpha-rolling troubled and/or disabled kids

Doikor
Oct 5, 2008
Found this very interesting documentary about Shenzhen (and hardware manufacturing/hacking in general) by Wired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY

Quite interesting seeing the open source philosophy applied to hardware there (also complete disregard for intellectual property and copyrights/trademarks)

Doikor fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 6, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Recommending I Am Thor to anybody interested in real life Spinal Tap style trainwreck documentaries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GLMsHUrOQ

Some of you might remember Thor from Rock N' Roll Nightmare (or the Rifftraxed version thereof).

The doc starts with a background on Thor, from his start as a Vegas performer then into his moderately successful rock career up until his downfall. Then the bulk of the documentary follows his comeback over a number of years, and it's quite the ride. The doc is well made in that you get to see Thor doing some of the same things over and over, like his water bottle trick, his brick breaking, or most hilariously putting his gear on before a show, and it gives you a real feel for him as a performer who refuses to give up.

One thing that was mysteriously left out of the doc was Thor's hilarious meeting with Gene Simmons years later, where they discuss Gene having had sex with Thor's wife ("she was number 2001"):

Zoom ahead to 2:33 or so ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOf-tQvyTk4

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
I just finished Thought Crimes - The Case of the Cannibal Cop

I had only heard a little about this case on Savage Lovecast when it was all happening so I really didn't know much going in aside from the broad strokes: police officer accused of conspiring to eat people with other weirdos online. The doc actually rolls the whole story out in a way that kinda had me doing double-takes at the guy. Some of the chat logs are pretty hard to read and there's some nasty images, which is expected for something about a cannibal cop I guess.

Not sure if it's :filez: to say this, but it's on YouTube.

SamLikesCake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 7, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

InfiniteZero posted:

Recommending I Am Thor to anybody interested in real life Spinal Tap style trainwreck documentaries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GLMsHUrOQ

Some of you might remember Thor from Rock N' Roll Nightmare (or the Rifftraxed version thereof).

The doc starts with a background on Thor, from his start as a Vegas performer then into his moderately successful rock career up until his downfall. Then the bulk of the documentary follows his comeback over a number of years, and it's quite the ride. The doc is well made in that you get to see Thor doing some of the same things over and over, like his water bottle trick, his brick breaking, or most hilariously putting his gear on before a show, and it gives you a real feel for him as a performer who refuses to give up.

One thing that was mysteriously left out of the doc was Thor's hilarious meeting with Gene Simmons years later, where they discuss Gene having had sex with Thor's wife ("she was number 2001"):

Zoom ahead to 2:33 or so ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOf-tQvyTk4

Just watched this and enjoyed it. I loved how you think it's gonna be a trainwreck, but they get to Sweden and it all goes so perfect. Especially the drummer's remark of "all of a sudden I realized... I'm gonna be remembered." I thought that was surprisingly sweet.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Maybe your favorite

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe your favorite

There's a couple others that are pretty good.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really liked Cannibal Cop, but the director tries way too hard to be cute at times by showing him cooking and eating food. Like, we loving got the joke the first time.

Finders Keepers seems like it would a really absurd comedy documentary about an insane case involving custody of a mummified foot, but it's actually just a look at two people who are struggling with their own deep issues in their own ways.

John is pretty easy to sympathize with, for good reason, (it is his leg) but he still does idiotic poo poo (bringing his drug dealer instead of his own sister to an interview in Germany is uh....pretty insane) and him helping to turn the whole incident into a national laughingstock helped to crack his family apart, but by the end he sobers up, gets right with his family and is in a much better place from where he started.

Shannon's a dickhead but he's still a tragic figure. He's obsessed with fame, probably the saddest moment in the movie isn't about the foot at all. It's Shannon's sad wife saying that they're divorcing over Shannon's misery and need for national attention and Shannon chiming in that he'd only ever be happy if he's on TV every single day making people laugh. The ending showing him campaigning to be president isn't funny, it's depressing to see a man scramble for any little tiny shred of attention he can get.

I think my favorite line of the movie was John's sister saying (not an exact quote) "I'd like to thank Shannon, because by being as big of a douche as he was, he helped push my brother to be a better man."

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Awesome thanks guys, plenty to watch tonight.

jisforjosh posted:

https://youtu.be/_PKZCg5okDk

I believe this is the one, I haven't seen it in a while so there may be a different one he's talking about.

Yeah this one and Gameswipe was what I was thinking. Also didn't he do a "top hundred best" type show about games and his top pick was Twitter, or is this that one?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
ive been watching stuff aobutj ail like uhh inside the gangers code which is a mafia dude that goes into a prisons and ms183 and stuff its crazy! these guys lifeves are so hosed up I watch a lot of stuff in jails and im like HMAN I DONT WANT TO GO THERE i dont wont promise that but i wont i promise that!

anyways, I saw "the cocaine cowbows" and it was awesome!

what im saying is this "what are some truly sad like falllen from grace type of docuemntaries"

I saw dear zack

jus twant stuff that is like gently caress thats so sad i cant imagine how sad that is but yea i can haha

thanks for the information

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Quoting to watch later, but is this the one where it's revealed that Ian Stuart Donaldson has hardcore Ulillillia-level OCD?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Man, Tickled is eeeeeverything I wanted that naff Catfish movie to be. Absolutely bonkers from word go, tense as hell in places, and leaves you wanting to know what (if anything) happens next a la The Jinx.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

and leaves you wanting to know what (if anything) happens next a la The Jinx.

You find this a positive?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Man, Tickled is eeeeeverything I wanted that naff Catfish movie to be. Absolutely bonkers from word go, tense as hell in places, and leaves you wanting to know what (if anything) happens next a la The Jinx.

Oh my god I forgot about this. I thought it was a parody when I first saw the trailer but as it dawned on me that it was real I became more engrossed.

Its like something adult swim would make

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xcore posted:

You find this a positive?

The way I see it with this kind of documentary is, if it had a big definitive finish then I probably would know about the subject matter already and the film/series wouldn't have the surprises that make it so interesting. I think Tickled ends up in a fairly natural place, and the mere existence of the film is what will push the story on. It's quite clear this has already happening if you read about the screenings.

KoRMaK posted:

Oh my god I forgot about this. I thought it was a parody when I first saw the trailer but as it dawned on me that it was real I became more engrossed.

Its like something adult swim would make

I had a sinking feeling last night that I'd been played and it was all fake, but I found one of the old new stories that is mentioned and am convinced it's legit. But I agree, it's so out there. Not just the original subject matter, which while odd is very believable after being online 20 years, but everything else.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
not sure if anyone has seen that show "no man left behind" on nat geo but that show has really made me interested in documentaries of that style (in a completley hosed situation with no way out particularly in War time scenarios

the first episdoe was about black hawk down, second was bout some americans going to colombia and got kidnapped and 3rd episode was about some green berets who were in a huge firefight in afghcanistan - anyone have any good recommendations of that nature? I guess its hard to find another example besides this show.

I guess maybe some survival stories of vietnam/iraq war from the people who were there first hand is what im looking for. I befriended a client at a previous job who told me he got separated and had to kill some guys with knives in vietnam hiding in a ditch and got rescued amongst a hail of gunfire and had the medals to prove it! Pretty crazy stuff I didnt believe him at first but people who were closer to him told me it was true. I love those survival stories where you beat the odds!

Thank you

Wish the show (No Man Left Behind) had some videos online to link its really good especially the green beret episode these guys ar etough as hell getting shot up and still fighting. god bless them

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Just saw Zero Days in theaters last night, great documentary about Stuxnet and cyber warfare

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Trollipop posted:

Just saw Zero Days in theaters last night, great documentary about Stuxnet and cyber warfare

This was a great talk about stuxnet

https://www.ted.com/talks/ralph_langner_cracking_stuxnet_a_21st_century_cyberweapon?language=en

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Meowbot posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations of that nature? I guess its hard to find another example besides this show.

I guess maybe some survival stories of vietnam/iraq war from the people who were there first hand is what im looking for.

Werner Herzog's Little Dieter Needs to Fly might tick the boxes you are after. It's the non-fiction version of the story from Herzog's Rescue Dawn

Also, I like to recommend this whenever I get the chance, and it's somewhat in that wheelhouse Witness: City Name on HBO was a cool documentary series that follows combat photographers on the journeys to different conflicts. It follows a different photgrapher each episode. From memory, the different locations/conflicts are:

Juarez/Cartel Wars
Rio and gangs/police corruption and the attempts to clean up before the World Cup/Olympics
Libya/Gadaffi
Sudan/Kony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Meowbot posted:

not sure if anyone has seen that show "no man left behind" on nat geo but that show has really made me interested in documentaries of that style (in a completley hosed situation with no way out particularly in War time scenarios

the first episdoe was about black hawk down, second was bout some americans going to colombia and got kidnapped and 3rd episode was about some green berets who were in a huge firefight in afghcanistan - anyone have any good recommendations of that nature? I guess its hard to find another example besides this show.

I guess maybe some survival stories of vietnam/iraq war from the people who were there first hand is what im looking for. I befriended a client at a previous job who told me he got separated and had to kill some guys with knives in vietnam hiding in a ditch and got rescued amongst a hail of gunfire and had the medals to prove it! Pretty crazy stuff I didnt believe him at first but people who were closer to him told me it was true. I love those survival stories where you beat the odds!

Thank you

Wish the show (No Man Left Behind) had some videos online to link its really good especially the green beret episode these guys ar etough as hell getting shot up and still fighting. god bless them

Check out the documentary/dramatization Touching the Void about an absolutely insane and horrific mountain climbing accident that actually has a good ending. You will not believe what happened to this person and how they survived it.