Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MikusR posted:

Well it had a much better taskbar.

I just watched a video of a Windows 10 build 9841 and it had the great taskbar plus metro tiles in a OK looking start menu. SO they had it working. But then some idiot manager decided on a rewrite.

What exactly don't you like about the current Windows 10 taskbar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Im_Special posted:

Does anyone actually have a clean error free Event Log?

Clean installed Win10 on 3 different machines and they all show in the Event Viewer;

Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

I get that error as well. I have no idea what it is, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Windows 10: I have no idea what that error is

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MikusR posted:

Well it had a much better taskbar.

I just watched a video of a Windows 10 build 9841 and it had the great taskbar plus metro tiles in a OK looking start menu. SO they had it working. But then some idiot manager decided on a rewrite.

Do you have a screenshot? I love the current taskbar+start menu so just curious.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm getting a new cpu/mobo etc. next week. my current pc was upgraded to win10 from win7. is the win10 license still tied to the current system or did they change that? am i going to be able to just upgrade the new one to win10 with that win7 key, or am i going to have to buy win10?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Windows 10: I have no idea what that error is

Something happened.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Roman posted:

I'm getting a new cpu/mobo etc. next week. my current pc was upgraded to win10 from win7. is the win10 license still tied to the current system or did they change that? am i going to be able to just upgrade the new one to win10 with that win7 key, or am i going to have to buy win10?

It's still tied to the hardware (but your Windows 7 key can be used on another computer).

If you want to not worry about things for the next whatever many years, buy a copy of Windows 10 now.
If you're ok with maybe needing to buy a copy in the future, then do the upgrade from Windows 7 on the new hardware setup and it'll be good for the new hardware as well.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Does anyone actually have a clean error free Event Log?

Clean installed Win10 on 3 different machines and they all show in the Event Viewer;

Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

No idea, but CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} resides in C\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe, and does reference that APPID.

What the Runtime Broker is exactly, no clue.

However the full log message is a bit more interesting:

quote:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
It's trying to activate it as the SYSTEM account, and my guess is that Runtime Broker has to do with the WinRT stuff and isolation between apps. It does sound like something that shouldn't really run as SYSTEM, the question is just then what is causing that activation attempt.

In my case, the event seems to get logged when I put the machine into sleep mode.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

fishmech posted:

Having the entries from the Start Menu show up by default (ever since they expanded All Programs by default) is absolutely useless to me and just contributes to screen clutter. They need to hide that away again; or at the very least don't use the Start Menu as its data source since that's been a dumping ground for garbage for over a decade.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

fishmech posted:

Mainly icons. Now they look squished.

Rurutia posted:

Do you have a screenshot? I love the current taskbar+start menu so just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bULsgyliru4

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 1, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

biznatchio posted:

Having the entries from the Start Menu show up by default (ever since they expanded All Programs by default) is absolutely useless to me and just contributes to screen clutter. They need to hide that away again; or at the very least don't use the Start Menu as its data source since that's been a dumping ground for garbage for over a decade.

That's not the taskbar.

MikusR posted:

Mainly icons. Now they look squished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bULsgyliru4

Those look about the same, except one has worse artifacting and has been scaled differently?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

fishmech posted:

That's not the taskbar.

Those look about the same, except one has worse artifacting and has been scaled differently?

Yeah I'm pretty confused. This is how mine looks, it looks great to me?

edit Full size version is 2x bigger than it appears to me in use, so it's actually as crisp as it looks using the larger timg scaled version.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rurutia posted:

Yeah I'm pretty confused. This is how mine looks, it looks great to me?

edit Full size version is 2x bigger than it appears to me in use, so it's actually as crisp as it looks using the larger timg scaled version.

Your image is a better illustration of what i don't like. Look at start button - it's a small icon in a middle of large square. The empty space around icon is almost the size of icon itself.
In Windows 8.1 the icons were larger and whitespace on top and bottom smaller.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MikusR posted:

Your image is a better illustration of what i don't like. Look at start button - it's a small icon in a middle of large square. The empty space around icon is almost the size of icon itself.

This is such a small thing, idk it's weird to me that this is something people get pissy about enough that they bring it up specifically. As if MS did some great harm to this current iteration compared to before. In any case, personally, it works for me as the taskbar takes up very little screen real estate on my screen and the ratios all match and work out.

:shrug:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

No idea, but CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} resides in C\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe, and does reference that APPID.

What the Runtime Broker is exactly, no clue.

However the full log message is a bit more interesting:

It's trying to activate it as the SYSTEM account, and my guess is that Runtime Broker has to do with the WinRT stuff and isolation between apps. It does sound like something that shouldn't really run as SYSTEM, the question is just then what is causing that activation attempt.

In my case, the event seems to get logged when I put the machine into sleep mode.
Might be some broken metro apps, I was getting something similiar (although not when it was going into sleep I don't think). I never noticed because I don't use metro apps but it turned out a bunch of them couldn't launch.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MikusR posted:

In Windows 8.1 the icons were larger and whitespace on top and bottom smaller.

I, like a lot of people, think you're REALLY over the top if this is a legit concern of yours. Also, mine doesn't look like that:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
How difficult is it to convince Microsoft to let me reuse a Windows 7 OEM key for a new computer? Looking around, while it seems you're not supposed to, if you call them up, they'll often let you do it anyway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Meat Recital posted:

How difficult is it to convince Microsoft to let me reuse a Windows 7 OEM key for a new computer? Looking around, while it seems you're not supposed to, if you call them up, they'll often let you do it anyway.

Just did it a couple of weeks ago, and it upgraded to Win10 just fine. The phone activation can send a link to your cellphone and you never have to talk to an actual person in most cases.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

AlexDeGruven posted:

I, like a lot of people, think you're REALLY over the top if this is a legit concern of yours.
Yeah. I can understand criticizing the slightly different design, I can understand having the opinion that it looks worse. But it's such a trivial thing that if that is somebody's reason for saying windows 10 is not good or not worth upgrading to.... I don't even know what to say.

Meat Recital posted:

It is a toss-up whether you even have to call them. Sometimes it will Just Work without calling them. If you do call them they might let you do it - mainly if you lead them to believe you are upgrading your system not installing on an entirely new system. It is against the terms of the license agreement and therefore technically it is software piracy, it is up to you whether you personally care about that.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Just switched from OS X to Win10, and while windows 10 is pretty awesome I miss the ability to lock apps to specific virtual desktops. Is there a tweak or setting to be able to do this on Windows10? So every time I launch app X, it would always load on desktop 3. Hate having to do this every single time I start an app.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
I'm on my work PC right now, and it has something called nVidia nView which has an option in every window's title bar context menu to open on a specific display. Maybe in Windows 10 it works with virtual desktops. Do you have an nVidia card? I have never used it, so I'm not sure how well it works.

plushpuffin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 1, 2016

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Have an Intel HD 520 in this thing, but I'll take a look at nview. Hopefully I can use it with any video card.

e: Looks like nview isn't available for w10?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

So I am building a decent gaming PC for my nephew out of leftover computer parts I have and so I guess I need a Windows 10 license for it. Is there anyway to get the free Windows 10 upgrade for this system? Since I am using my windows license on my current system I don't have anything I could apply to the upgrade.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Aquila posted:

So I am building a decent gaming PC for my nephew out of leftover computer parts I have and so I guess I need a Windows 10 license for it. Is there anyway to get the free Windows 10 upgrade for this system? Since I am using my windows license on my current system I don't have anything I could apply to the upgrade.

People have been posting about getting win7 keys from kinguin.net

I had my coworker get one there and everything went fine.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Meat Recital posted:

I just did this last week. It's reassigning a Win10 OEM license that's the issue, not using a previous version OEM license in the first place. (They made the terms more restrictive with Win10.) Just install Win10 on the new machine and input the Win7 key.

Aquila posted:

You can get the free upgrade from a version of Win7 or 8. Do your "leftover parts" include a Windows license? If not then you have nothing to upgrade.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Khablam posted:

there is functionally no reason to hold off on the upgrade

ftfy

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Atomizer posted:

I just did this last week. It's reassigning a Win10 OEM license that's the issue, not using a previous version OEM license in the first place. (They made the terms more restrictive with Win10.) Just install Win10 on the new machine and input the Win7 key.

This is what I ended up doing. Had no trouble at all with the Windows 7 key.

I did have a problem where Windows 10 would boot, but I would get nothing but my monitor would be nothing but a black screen. I had an HDMI cable running from my PC to my tv, and Windows thought the tv was the main display. Easy fix once after I googled around and figured out what was going on.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Aquila posted:

Sign him up as an insider?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rusty! posted:

Sign him up as an insider?

Insiders need a valid Windows 10 licence.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

You keep saying this, it isn't true. You do not get a Windows 10 OEM license from the free upgrade! And so far people who actually bought Windows 10 OEM licenses do not report it being more restrictive than Windows 8 OEM licenses.

Where do you get this idea?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does a Win 8.1 installation need to be fully up to date before it offers to upgrade to 10? I have a PC that hasn't been used in a while and has like 2gb of updates pending. If possible I'd rather skip all this bullshit and go directly for the upgrade but it doesn't offer me anything so far.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mobby_6kl posted:

Does a Win 8.1 installation need to be fully up to date before it offers to upgrade to 10? I have a PC that hasn't been used in a while and has like 2gb of updates pending. If possible I'd rather skip all this bullshit and go directly for the upgrade but it doesn't offer me anything so far.

The generic answer is...it depends. In your case, with 2GB pending, yes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

No, in fact you can upgrade a computer fresh out of a box with no internet conneciton.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

redeyes posted:

No, in fact you can upgrade a computer fresh out of a box with no internet conneciton.

You can, but you have to go download the installation media and all of that. To be offered the upgrade he needs to have one of at least five updates installed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So my Windows 10 reinstall messed up my name, now my dir is C:\Users\ufar. Anywhere I can change this dumbness?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

So my Windows 10 reinstall messed up my name, now my dir is C:\Users\ufar. Anywhere I can change this dumbness?

Windows does that if you use a Microsoft Account. As far as I know, there is no way to change this behavior without going through a bit of pain:

Create a local admin account and login with that account.
Delete your Microsoft Account
Create a new Administrative User with the user name you want
Login to the new user.
Link your Microsoft Account through the Settings App.

As a note: If you use the Microsoft family filtering thing (Microsoft Safety?) it completely messes up everyones linked profile if you unlink the owning Microsoft Account.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

Safest is to create a new (temporary) local-only user, log in with that, delete your badly named profile, then create a new profile (also local-only) with the right name, then log in with the new one, and then delete the temporary profile. After confirming your new user profile has the right profile folder name, you can then link it to an MS account if you prefer that.

It may be possible to hackishly rename your user profile folder, but it's very likely all kinds of things will break.
Create a temporary user account. Reboot computer, log in with temporary account. Rename badly named user profile folder. Open Regedit, find your main user under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, update the ProfileImagePath value. Reboot again, log in with your main user. Enjoy breakage.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Well, this is interesting. Apparently Gigabyte motherboards are notorious for having problems booting from a USB, which means my Windows 10 installation stick is going to be less-than-useful. I don't have an optical burner anymore, either.

Getting Windows 10 might take a little longer than anticipated.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
This is a bit of a hack but if you have a hard drive enclosure or dock and a spare internal drive, you can totally copy the install files to it just like a flash drive on a working machine and then remove it from the enclosure and attach internally to the new machine to use as an install disk without needing USB. I did this to install Windows 7 to a mini-ITX home server that only came with USB 3.0 ports. The suggested method was to slipstream drivers into the 7 image, but that didn't work for some reason so I had to either dig up an optical drive to use outside the case temporarily or use the above trick.

If that doesn't work and optical and USB both aren't options... set up a PXE server I guess, I don't know anything else.

That's weird that you would have issues though, I have a Gigabyte X58 motherboard from 2008 and never had a problem with USB booting.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Aranan posted:

Well, this is interesting. Apparently Gigabyte motherboards are notorious for having problems booting from a USB, which means my Windows 10 installation stick is going to be less-than-useful. I don't have an optical burner anymore, either.

Getting Windows 10 might take a little longer than anticipated.

They work fine. Try this. When you get to the screen that says put in a device driver to be able to load from USB (or something close to that). Just remove the USB stick, and then put back in the computer. Hit the X to close the installer which drops you back to the first Install screen and continue on. It should read the USB stick now.

The issue is the USB controller is reset or somthing similar during the initial boot. Ejecting the stick and putting it back in gets it back online.

Post if it works because I've seen this hundreds of times at this point.