Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah haaaa, poor fuckin' Rotator. "This Battlebots tournament is the only thing giving my dying father hope!! I've been looking forwards to this since I was a kid!!" /loses in 15 seconds /does not get wildcard draw

I don't think they even tried, just kept their tire pointed directly at the spinning disk like the tire was gonna do something :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

howe_sam posted:

Projectiles are bullshit.

The new projectiles rules are kind of weird but it will be interesting to see if anyone can do anything good with them in the future. You can use them untethered now but the effectiveness is super limited by other rules: no explosions (so air guns only), no entanglement devices left in the arena (I'm not entirely sure of the full implications but I think it rules out firing stuff like ball bearings or anything that can get caught in wheels), and no damage to arena floor or walls (so you have to rein in the power). That last part is the real killer, any gun with enough power to reliably punch through bot armor is going to be able to do some damage to those polycarbonate or whatever walls. Gold guns that shoot special effects are rad though.

I'm slightly disappointed by the Mobius loss only because making BattleBots professional wresting is great. There is a lot of useless air time between the bot explanations and the actual moment they start fighting but I'm much more inclined to watch it all if I can see something like Shredderator's team yelling about how America doesn't negotiate with necromancers. I guess it's hard to job well when thousands of dollars and hundreds of manhours are getting ripped apart in front of you. You could pinpoint the moment that Mobius' driver went from badass robot drivin' Rob Zombie to a schoolboy watching his bully stomp on his new toy truck.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ror posted:

You could pinpoint the moment that Mobius' driver went from badass robot drivin' Rob Zombie to a schoolboy watching his bully stomp on his new toy truck.

That was genuinely hilarious

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ror posted:

The new projectiles rules are kind of weird but it will be interesting to see if anyone can do anything good with them in the future. You can use them untethered now but the effectiveness is super limited by other rules: no explosions (so air guns only), no entanglement devices left in the arena (I'm not entirely sure of the full implications but I think it rules out firing stuff like ball bearings or anything that can get caught in wheels), and no damage to arena floor or walls (so you have to rein in the power). That last part is the real killer, any gun with enough power to reliably punch through bot armor is going to be able to do some damage to those polycarbonate or whatever walls. Gold guns that shoot special effects are rad though.

I think really the only time it could be useful is for what initially looked like what happened in this fight. It could be a way to knock a full body spinner bot off balance by hitting it. Otherwise, yea, a projectile bullet is unlikely to do anything to any of these bots. It really was fun watching them put on a big show as they entered the arena, and then the bot just fell apart in 5 seconds.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
Son of Whyachi could face Warrior Clan in the second round. Should be interesting.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I think some of my favorite hits are when a spinner, vertical or horizontal, absolutely destroys a mini bot and Son of Whyachi destroying Warrior Clans minis would be glorious.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

T1g4h posted:

Icewave versus Nightmare :lol:

I love Nightmare, I truly do, but that bot is doomed.

Well Nightmare finally armor'd its wheels, so maybe there's a chance. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Glad to see BB back again! 2015 was alright but it seems like they've ironed things out more for 2016. I don't think I noticed they removed the weight classifications until now though. Weird to see so many flamethrower drones too. They seem barely effective, especially compared to SOW's wedge drone. Got a chuckle out of the "cannons" too (and I'm glad that other MIT team was immediately wrecked).

Also, what the hell is with the gesture-controlled bot, that's actually pretty cool (if totally useless).

halokiller posted:

Well Nightmare finally armor'd its wheels, so maybe there's a chance. :v:

I felt bad for Rotator instantly getting owned because of that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 1, 2016

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
That Lockjaw vs Yeti fight was great viewing. It's good to see two well designed but not min-maxed bots battle it out like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's good that Lockjaw got the Wildcard, but Disko was totally robbed. I understand that pushing and control is rated less than active weapon aggression, but it shouldn't rate that low relatively speaking I think.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

It's good that Lockjaw got the Wildcard, but Disko was totally robbed. I understand that pushing and control is rated less than active weapon aggression, but it shouldn't rate that low relatively speaking I think.

The big killer has been losing weapons. Damage, control, and strategy are 1 point each. Aggression is 2 points, and you can only score aggression by using an active weapon.Losing a weapon early means you're essentially giving up both aggression points unless you utterly dominate the fight from then on.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If there's another season, they should really modify that. I know Battlebots & ABC doesn't want shoving matches between metal boxes, but there comes a point where judges' decisions that don't pass the eye test will affect viewership more negatively.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There should be a gimmick point, for best gimmick. Lets go full blown wrestling.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coaaab posted:

If there's another season, they should really modify that. I know Battlebots & ABC doesn't want shoving matches between metal boxes, but there comes a point where judges' decisions that don't pass the eye test will affect viewership more negatively.

They could do audience voting on categories. Presumably, there's enough people that any sort of bias from tactical voting by and team affiliated audience members is washed out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Weird to see so many flamethrower drones too. They seem barely effective, especially compared to SOW's wedge drone.

I think the final nail in that coffin was the one failing to even damage a plastic kiddy sandbox cover.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

PBS Newshour posted:

There should be a gimmick point, for best gimmick. Lets go full blown wrestling.

Hell yes. Mobius' intro was awesome, need more stuff like that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

T1g4h posted:

Are there any official rules on having theme songs?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I bet they would've gotten a wildcard too if they didn't literally self-destruct.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

T1g4h posted:

Agreed. I'm too drunk to check, but they didn't get a wildcard right? They should totally get a wildcard for that intro alone.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

keevo posted:

Agreed. I'm too drunk to check, but they didn't get a wildcard right? They should totally get a wildcard for that intro alone.

Nah, no wildcard for them. Overhaul, Blacksmith, Ghost Raptor, Bombshell, Lockjaw, Lucky, Megatento, and Nightmare. So at least we get to see Anime Bot aka Overhaul 2.0 get smashed again :v:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Should I run a fantasy battlebot league in this thread y/n

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Drowning In Terror posted:

That Lockjaw vs Yeti fight was great viewing. It's good to see two well designed but not min-maxed bots battle it out like that.

Uh, I wouldn't call Yeti not minmaxed. It's got almost no armor; it's designed entirely to keep its face/weapons pointed at you and do as much damage as possible.

One hit from a bot designed to actually do damage to its side or back and it'll be hurting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Go for it. 9 out of 10 brackets will probably have Bronco and/or Tombstone in the finals though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

yes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So Megatento is designed entirely to never make it beyond one or two flights right? Like it has no defense against spinners at all and its offensive weapons are practically nil. I get the designer is basically a kid who's just happy to be there though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AndyElusive posted:

So Megatento is designed entirely to never make it beyond one or two flights right? Like it has no defense against spinners at all and its offensive weapons are practically nil. I get the designer is basically a kid who's just happy to be there though.

lol, she's like 30 years old! It's just a bot she made when she was a kid back when Battlebots was on originally and she just has kept the same basic design for some reason.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

T1g4h posted:

Nah, no wildcard for them. Overhaul, Blacksmith, Ghost Raptor, Bombshell, Lockjaw, Lucky, Megatento, and Nightmare. So at least we get to see Anime Bot aka Overhaul 2.0 get smashed again :v:

The actual reason the MIT team split up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

halokiller posted:

The actual reason the MIT team split up.

:stare:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ohhhhh of course. Of course.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is season 2 of the revival and we already have anime bots, undertaker inspired drivers, SFX shooting golden guns, and robotic potted plants.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
And purely ornamental flying flamethrowers.

I'm glad they got rid of the weight classes. Now that I've seen it without them, I wonder why they ever had them in the first place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also they should have a surprise boss fight after the championship against something Jaime and Adam created. Maybe just bring back Blendo?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

I'm glad they got rid of the weight classes. Now that I've seen it without them, I wonder why they ever had them in the first place.

They didn't really get rid of weight classes. They just went with a single super heavy weight class.

The lightweight bot fights are fun too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's some gifs so we can watch these moments over and over and over

http://i.imgur.com/q2Li61y.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/67JRMZy.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/4c7Uqyj.gifv

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ok, I'm going to run a little fantasy battlebot league in here for 8-10 players.

We've got two draft options, we could do the standard random draw and ladder pick thing*, but that strikes me as a bit boring, so I've also devised a second method where each round every player selects a bot in secret but if two or players select the same bot none of them get it and it's still available for picking the next round. It's fair though, promise.

If you want to play fantasy battlebots, quote this post, tell me if you have private messages and whether you want to do a ladder pick or a secret draft. Who knows, if enough people sign up we could do both.

Your signup will look like this:

eager participant posted:

I want to play. I have plat, I'm not a filthy poor. Secret draft sounds fun, lets do that.

* I'm getting some conflicting info on if the thing I'm thinking of is a ladder draft or a snake draft, but it's the one where a random order is established and then the picks are made in that order in the first round, and in reverse order in the second round.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 2, 2016

Fart of Gold
Jul 2, 2016
I'd be down to make a website for it. Assuming life doesn't get in the way, I think I should be able to have something ugly yet functional in the next few days. However, I've never done any fantasy leagues before so I don't know how it works and how long a draft takes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

The robot used to have a lovely grappling hook on a string under there, so this is actually a major improvement.

Despite that its lifetime record was actually 8-7 through the original Battlebots run.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 2, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fart of Gold posted:

I'd be down to make a website for it. Assuming life doesn't get in the way, I think I should be able to have something ugly yet functional in the next few days. However, I've never done any fantasy leagues before so I don't know how it works and how long a draft takes.

That'd be cool, but I also think it's probably unneccesary really. something small scale like this, can really just be run from the thread, a google form and a spreadsheet.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Probably because lightweights don't cost $10k+ to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I would be down to join and I have platinum! I am a poor but I shower on a regular basis. I like the first ladder pick option.

• Locked thread