Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can just take the signal out of your shoulder slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Subanautica: gently caress the ocean

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Putting on the System Shock 2 soundtrack and finding my first abandoned habitat certainly enhanced the experience.

Even better, after exploring for an hour I returned to base just as the soundtrack finished and began playing the intro clip of SS2. Subnautica's "welcome home, captain" was immediately followed by Shodan's famous speech :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Subnautica: If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

For me, it's usually more a matter of "If you gaze for 20 seconds into the abyss, eventually the sea floor will finish drawing/redrawing."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that should be the winner. Subnautica: if you stare into the abyss, eventually the next chunk loads.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have noticed it really chugging along on a 2500k/gtx 970, is it more video card or cpu constrained?

Hoping cpu since it'll give me the excuse I need to upgrade my 5 year old cpu/mobo :haw:

Or is it just because pre-release/greenlight.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

I think that should be the winner. Subnautica: if you stare into the abyss, eventually the next chunk loads.

I like it. Hopefully we only need that title until 1.0 when they clean that up...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

priznat posted:

Or is it just because pre-release/greenlight.

This is my assumption.

Sure I have a 760 which is 3 years old but it shouldn't run as bad as it is.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I suspect it's largely disk I/O constrained; I moved the game to an SSD and the pop-in is still there, but things do load a _lot_ faster when they are asked to load. I think they just need to work on their LOD settings, which is an optimization thing, and since it's still not feature-complete yet, I can see why that's still on the 'todo' shelf.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A lot of the chugging and pop in/loading trouble apparently comes from the voxel terrain and it constantly saving/loading to storage. In a future (soon?) update they're actually getting rid of this and going with a static seafloor.

No more digging in sand or terraformer gun and bases won't remove terrain anymore. However it'll be worth it IMO if it improves the loading/pop in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The pop in would not bother me much if it just happened once when you loaded up the game, but I feel like with 8 GB of RAM it should not be loading everything as if for the first time every time I look at it. I can just spin in place, and in the one second it takes to do a revolution I can see through pieces of the floor again and most of the detail is gone already.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A lot of the chugging and pop in/loading trouble apparently comes from the voxel terrain and it constantly saving/loading to storage. In a future (soon?) update they're actually getting rid of this and going with a static seafloor.

No more digging in sand or terraformer gun and bases won't remove terrain anymore. However it'll be worth it IMO if it improves the loading/pop in.

I know they are removing the Terraformer citing "To improve performance" but I expect the hardest part of finding floater island will remain it's draw distance cloaking device. I'm sure it will help, but probably not as much as we're all hoping.

Digirat posted:

The pop in would not bother me much if it just happened once when you loaded up the game, but I feel like with 8 GB of RAM it should not be loading everything as if for the first time every time I look at it. I can just spin in place, and in the one second it takes to do a revolution I can see through pieces of the floor again and most of the detail is gone already.

I got my first memory error with 16 gigs of ram the other night. Driving the Cyclops often being stuttery mess is really bringing me down on what should be a sweet experience. "Oh gently caress it's a kelp forest noooooooo why did I make my base close to anything but barren rocks!"

Things are much better when I'm just swimming, but there are still some quirks there. Jellyshroom caves loved to make the giant shroom tops blink in and out of existence, despite everything running smooth as silk down there otherwise.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Natural Selection 2 used to run like total crap in beta. After a couple years it was running great. Just played the other day and it runs awesome now. It really plays like it should have from the start, granted I still loved the game in beta and at release.

Hopefully they have their engine optimized and figured out enough to make the optimization process a bit faster this time. I think a lot of the performance issues really stemmed from the server performance and networking, so maybe that takes a bit out of the equation as well.

Loving this game so far, despite the performance issues I still keep wanting to play more.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Section Z posted:

"Oh gently caress it's a kelp forest noooooooo why did I make my base close to anything but barren rocks!"

"...is that a giant mushroom? OH GOD IT'S THE MUSHROOM FOREST ABORT ABORT ABORT"

*slams into invisible giant mushroom that hasn't loaded yet*

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I wouldn't be so annoyed with the pop-in if it also didn't include Reapers popping in.

Like I literally swam down to open a supply crate once and when the crate closed shut the reaper was literally right there as if he was waiting for the perfect movie moment to scare the poo poo out of me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DopeGhoti posted:

I suspect it's largely disk I/O constrained; I moved the game to an SSD and the pop-in is still there, but things do load a _lot_ faster when they are asked to load. I think they just need to work on their LOD settings, which is an optimization thing, and since it's still not feature-complete yet, I can see why that's still on the 'todo' shelf.

I'm running on an SSD and I've crashed my Seamoth into pillars that don't appear at all until about 10 seconds after the collision.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thats weird. I don't have an SSD and I haven't had pop in THAT severe. Are you guys using the recommended or experimental settings?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats weird. I don't have an SSD and I haven't had pop in THAT severe. Are you guys using the recommended or experimental settings?
My laptop is 5 years old and probably doesn't meet minimum specs on this game (my quad-core is only 1.86 ghz rather than 2), but it's never had that kind of trouble with any other game. This one will actually cause my laptop to overheat and shut down.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have so many dead batteries I have had to look for resources to make locker just to hold them all

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

I have so many dead batteries I have had to look for resources to make locker just to hold them all

Seek out the battery charger blueprints (and also, Cell charger blueprints). Such a QoL booster :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There is a battery charger station you can find fragments of to scan and build. You can find them in the grassy plateaus, aka the red "grass" seaweed areas.

You know, I've played a LOT of Silent Hunter 3 and 4 and spent a lot of time underwater in them. And even when in shallow areas where I'm at risk of grounding, its never been that scary. But man, throw on a bubble I can look out of, and that poo poo is terrifying. Of course, it helps that SH3/4 doesnt' have sea monsters (unless ASDIC destroyers with hedgehog launchers count).

Ho-hum:

:ohdear::

Also, the Cyclops really needs the Active Sonar mapping the Seamoth has.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I have a seamoth, tossed the perimeter upgrade on it and some storage. I can get it to 300m so I've fully explored the purple mushroom cave and now I'm wondering what to do next. I haven't found any geothermal fragments yet so I haven't bothered building a base in the cave yet but I've considered building one with a bio reactor if it's stable enough with just a tank full of fish or some fruit trees.

Where should I explore next? Any cool locations like deeper caves? I still haven't found aluminum oxide to upgrade my depth.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Aluminum Oxide is found wider, not deeper.

And yes, terrain goes deep. So keep looking around and you'll discover ways down. Although the deeper areas are only semi-finished right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Bio Reactor + fruit tree = endless power, food, and water.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Paracelsus posted:

I'm running on an SSD and I've crashed my Seamoth into pillars that don't appear at all until about 10 seconds after the collision.

Well, the fact that I have 16GB of RAM probably doesn't hurt, but the pop-in noticeably improved when I moved the game from a spinning-platters drive to an SSD.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you guys using the recommended or experimental settings?
I haven't touched the settings, and indeed didn't realize there was an experimental configuration to try.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

9 hours in, piles of dead batteries and I only just find out you can turn the glider's light off for like 3x the battery life :downsgun:

I also finally found where to get the battery charger recipe and it has improved the game so much

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Built the Cyclops and cruised off to honk at reaper bastards and the fuckers just ignore me utterly. Can't win.

The terrain starts getting mighty weird when you get up to what I assume are the map edges.

Also the cyclops cameras really need floodlights too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They really need to make light sources bright. As in, make them actually lit. My seamoth lights up plenty of stuff in front of it, but if I exit and try to find my way back to it, good luck. The seamoth itself is completely pitch dark.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

They really need to make light sources bright. As in, make them actually lit. My seamoth lights up plenty of stuff in front of it, but if I exit and try to find my way back to it, good luck. The seamoth itself is completely pitch dark.

And then you have flares, that have some of the most terrible lighting I've ever seen - throw one anywhere and you get blinded with overwhelming red that looks just terrible and pretty much makes any detail covered up by overwhelming amounts of bright red.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

priznat posted:

Built the Cyclops and cruised off to honk at reaper bastards and the fuckers just ignore me utterly. Can't win.

The terrain starts getting mighty weird when you get up to what I assume are the map edges.

Also the cyclops cameras really need floodlights too.

They are like bullies. Pick on anyone smaller but as soon as someone bigger shows up, play it cool.

PerrineClostermann posted:

The lights on the cyclops are near useless. You either have to be on the sea floor in which case you can't go anywhere because you'll keep hitting things or you are above the sea floor in which case you can't see anything besides a lit up haze in front of you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stalker teeth might as well be called rooster teeth. I've found 3 the entire time I've been playing and now I'm trying to build the cyclops.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Just picked this up in the sale. Will I be missing out a lot on what the game should be if I play without hunger and thirst? I've had bad survival game experiences grinding that poo poo out but if it's an important part of the progression pacing then I don't want to throw everything off.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Just picked this up in the sale. Will I be missing out a lot on what the game should be if I play without hunger and thirst? I've had bad survival game experiences grinding that poo poo out but if it's an important part of the progression pacing then I don't want to throw everything off.

I'm playing with food and water and it became trivial once I found surface fruit. It adds a little extra incentive to base building because you'll want an aquarium breeding fish in your outposts, but it honestly isn't robust enough to be genuinely enjoyable yet.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

As the game stands right now, hunger and thirst are both pretty trivial problems to solve, even early in the game. The moment you start breeding fish in your first base you'll wonder why you ever thought it might be an issue at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Food and water really only exist to remind you to do something every few minutes. You'll be exploring an area and then the suit says you need to eat or drink so you head back to your base or cyclops and mash some fruit into your face. If you don't want that tedium, playing without food is fine. It just makes collecting fish and plants useless unless you want to look at them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Demiurge4 posted:

Stalker teeth might as well be called rooster teeth. I've found 3 the entire time I've been playing and now I'm trying to build the cyclops.

I just played fetch with the same stalker and a single piece of scrap metal to get all the teeth I needed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Met posted:

I just played fetch with the same stalker and a single piece of scrap metal to get all the teeth I needed.

When I realized they were relatively intelligent and playful I stopped trying to kill Stalkers.

I think they're cute. :3:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah Stalkers and Bonesharks are pretty cool, sand sharks are dumbasses though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Stalkers will break their teeth on the Seamoth, without damaging it. Bother some for a bit and you should be able to get some teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently built the Cyclops and I really gotta say, it's a lot harder to drive than the Seamoth...