Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah like I want to poo poo on the Isles but Strome/Barzal/Dal Colle/Ho-Sang is a pretty good group of potential top end young forwards. If they can come along somewhat quickly that will help a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

You can do a lot worse than signing Parenteau as a stop-gap top six forward for a year.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Let's see if the Pylon-for-Picks sweetstakes strikes gold again.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

Let's see if the Pylon-for-Picks sweetstakes strikes gold again.

But Toronto didnt get Phaneuf back?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I hate Roman Polak, but if the Leafs turn him into a pick again at the deadline I can forgive the move. RIP Corrado's ice time though.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
So apparently Matt Greene was only placed on buyout waivers to give the Kings a bit more cap space for a final run at Lucic.

So I guess the D is back to

Doughty-Muzzin
Voynov in disguise - Martinez
Blake-Greene

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is the Polak AAV not out yet? That seems odd.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Kite posted:

So apparently Matt Greene was only placed on buyout waivers to give the Kings a bit more cap space for a final run at Lucic.

So I guess the D is back to

Doughty-Muzzin
Voynov in disguise - Martinez
Blake-Greene

Hello, I am Mr. Vonyov from some place far away!

Huh. Doesn't work as well when you're name is basically a palindrome.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Furnaceface posted:

But Toronto didnt get Phaneuf back?

That's my trigger word please respect my condition.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I get that it's a one year deal and they'll flip him for picks which is fine but I really didn't want to watch another year of Polak. Sigh. I'm pretty okay with the Martin signing. Out of all the dumb punchmen in the league, he's probably the most useful so if they HAD to go get someone to do that nonsense at least it's not Ott or someone. Would've liked for them to have grabbed Parenteau again for another year though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think this is the first free agent fiasco where instead a bunch of articles about who won it's more about who lost and why they were really really dumb

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Ducks did a thing!
Guenin on a 1 year 2 way deal

What are forwards?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Scaramouche posted:

I think this is the first free agent fiasco where instead a bunch of articles about who won it's more about who lost and why they were really really dumb

That Canucks didn't give out the dumbest contract and apparently they're not in on Kris Russell and basically I have to take that as the best-case scenario.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

I get that it's a one year deal and they'll flip him for picks which is fine but I really didn't want to watch another year of Polak. Sigh. I'm pretty okay with the Martin signing. Out of all the dumb punchmen in the league, he's probably the most useful so if they HAD to go get someone to do that nonsense at least it's not Ott or someone. Would've liked for them to have grabbed Parenteau again for another year though.

Thing about Martin is that he is actually good at one real hockey thing, and it fits well with what Babcock expects out of his 4th liners. It's just that I don't really agree with the concept of having a line whose sole purpose is to get killed by better comp for ~10mins a night. And I certainly don't think you should give money+term to those guys.

Right now Leafs fans seem most concerned that adding Polak will necessitate waiving Corrado, which I'm fine with because he's not very good and has no market value.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002
I wonder who Sweeney is trying to peddle Krejci to for what will turn out to be a bad old defence mans.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/HackswithHaggs/status/749433160165892096

Uuuhhh??? The gently caress is this

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Has Ottawa signed an NHL player yet

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wanting to sign Kris Russell for 4 years at any cost is a really good sign that the Leafs management team has lost the plot a little bit.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

checksin posted:

Has Ottawa signed an NHL player yet

Mike Kostka is probably going to play 40+ games in the NHL, does that count

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jedimastafez posted:

Ducks did a thing!
Guenin on a 1 year 2 way deal

What are forwards?

first you hired Carlyle and now you've hired Guenin...who cares that it's two way, it's still loving Nate Guenin

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Dirty Burger posted:

Mike Kostka is probably going to play 40+ games in the NHL, does that count

A defenseman so bad the Leafs didn't want him.

Koopa Kid posted:

Wanting to sign Kris Russell for 4 years at any cost is a really good sign that the Leafs management team has lost the plot a little bit.

On the other hand the Leafs didn't sign Russell and apparently the Bruins are trying to. Maybe Lamiorello was trying to goad Sweeney in to doing something stupid.

grack fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 3, 2016

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
The Leafs have gone away from what they were doing last year a bit and it's kinda scary and annoying. I wonder if this was the plan all along (adding size and grit) or what ('cause they won't shut up about having a plan).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

:lol:

Also someone please do a safety check on Duke and fateo if that is true about Boston and Russell. :ohdear:

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

:lol:

Also someone please do a safety check on Duke and fateo if that is true about Boston and Russell. :ohdear:

Haggerty is unreliable garbage that likes to stir poo poo, I'm not going to believe this until I see others report it.

Plus, I want to believe Sweeney isn't so dumb as to buy out seidenberg and then sign someone just as bad for longer. There's no way he's that dumb, right? :negative:

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
I wouldn't want Russell back at anywhere close to that price, but he's a good bottom-pairing defenseman who stepped up big-time in 2015 after Giordano got hurt. I suppose it's by virtue of that year's performance that he's going to get paid now.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

DuhSal posted:

The Leafs have gone away from what they were doing last year a bit and it's kinda scary and annoying. I wonder if this was the plan all along (adding size and grit) or what ('cause they won't shut up about having a plan).

To be fair, what hey were doing last year was a teardown and you could project anything you want on it. The return on the Kessel trade raised some flags for me, and it looks like they are just as enamoured with grit as everybody else. They haven't traded away all their prospects yet though, so that's something.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Call Your Grandma posted:

To be fair, what hey were doing last year was a teardown and you could project anything you want on it. The return on the Kessel trade raised some flags for me, and it looks like they are just as enamoured with grit as everybody else. They haven't traded away all their prospects yet though, so that's something.

This draft year and offseason seemed to be a calling card of size and grit. I would put the blame on Lou but he's made some decent moves leading up to this offseason. It's one thing to add the size/grit/leadership after you've collected all the skill but I don't think we're even close to having enough skill to sacrifice for some size just yet. Our prospects are a lot stronger and skilled than the last regime but I don't think it's time to be trying to mold into the big bad truculent team just yet.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Considering that they've stated that they're focused on the long term all these people (minus Anderson) seem like plugs until they can scout/draft/aquire more pieces. I have no exceptions for next year outside of the new players playing consistently and seeing how they do.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Here, I made this to troll hfboards morons:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DuhSal posted:

I think it's fair to be uncomfortable with what they're doing. The draft was weird, but at least it was clearly informed by some sort of plan and analysis. Giving term for Martin, bringing back Polak, and apparently being in on Russell, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the same apparent justification. Even if Polak is someone to dump at the deadline, until then he'll be taking ice time from someone who could actually be in the future of the Leafs (Corrado, Marincin). Martin and apparently Russell come with four year price tags, on the other hand, which are very committal moves. Martin, I guess, is at least apparently very good at suppressing shots against and therefore fits with the way that Babcock likes to organize his lines ("checkers" distributed through the lineup instead of an isolated cheaking line), but Russell is just crap.

So, like, this isn't a Dave Nonis catastrophe or anything, but if Lou turns out to have a bad run for the Leafs we'll be pointing to these moves as the start of it.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Hand Knit posted:

I think it's fair to be uncomfortable with what they're doing. The draft was weird, but at least it was clearly informed by some sort of plan and analysis. Giving term for Martin, bringing back Polak, and apparently being in on Russell, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the same apparent justification. Even if Polak is someone to dump at the deadline, until then he'll be taking ice time from someone who could actually be in the future of the Leafs (Corrado, Marincin). Martin and apparently Russell come with four year price tags, on the other hand, which are very committal moves. Martin, I guess, is at least apparently very good at suppressing shots against and therefore fits with the way that Babcock likes to organize his lines ("checkers" distributed through the lineup instead of an isolated cheaking line), but Russell is just crap.

So, like, this isn't a Dave Nonis catastrophe or anything, but if Lou turns out to have a bad run for the Leafs we'll be pointing to these moves as the start of it.

I suppose if management is not comfortable with giving the prospects a bunch of ice time just yet and decided to shelter the kids with some vets then it could make some sense, but that's why you give these guys 1 or maybe 2 year deals, not 4. They are probably not up to giving Marner / Nylander / Matthews 25+ minutes a night just yet and realize next season is probably already lost too, so might as well fill the holes and give the kids time to learn and develop either with sheltered minutes or down in the minors.

I know teams always overpay during free agency but it might have been better to do nothing? I guess the deals aren't horrific so we'll wait and see if it works out.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You'd figure between Lupul, Bozak, Greening, Michalek, and Laich, the Leafs have enough gritty veteran oft-injured trash to fill in the bottom 6. But we're not Stanley Cup-winning hockey minds, so the Leafs brain trust deserve the benefit of the doubt right up to when they sign Kris Russell for 4+ years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm mesmerised that we live in a world in which Kris Russell is worth the term and price he's likely to get.

I like the dude and will always pull for him since he took the time to actually hand me a puck outside the visitors' tunnel in San Jose and later signed it for me at a fan thing in Columbus, but drat.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
The longer Schultz doesn't sign somewhere, the more I think he's going to come back to Pittsburgh on the cheap for a "prove it" contract.

Unless Cullen chooses to sign with Pittsburgh, then there are basically 0 cap dollars to spend.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

St. Dogbert posted:

I wouldn't want Russell back at anywhere close to that price, but he's a good bottom-pairing defenseman who stepped up big-time in 2015 after Giordano got hurt. I suppose it's by virtue of that year's performance that he's going to get paid now.

he made all his D partners statistically worse in calgary for the most part and the team gave up more high pctg chances with him on the ice. and he is a not good possession player. he sacrifixe his body and blocks shots because he misses coverage and cant retain puck in the D zone. i am lookig forward to sweeney giving him 5/24.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
https://twitter.com/alroy42/status/749711518355247104

So grandpa Lou not as senile as we thought?

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

Call Your Grandma posted:

You can do a lot worse than signing Parenteau as a stop-gap top six forward for a year.

parenteau was more productive offensively in less ice time 5v5 thhan okposo iirc

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/749731997564563456

A signing for Bakersfield, I guess. :effort:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Krime posted:

The longer Schultz doesn't sign somewhere, the more I think he's going to come back to Pittsburgh on the cheap for a "prove it" contract.

Unless Cullen chooses to sign with Pittsburgh, then there are basically 0 cap dollars to spend.

I imagine Cullen is their first choice, and if he goes to Minnesota then they'd try for Schultz.

I don't mind the look of the d as is though. Warsofsky is a perfectly acceptable 7th d and Pouliot needs to play. I wouldn't be completely opposed to Schultz coming back but I'm also happy with what we've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

eXXon posted:

the Leafs brain trust deserve the benefit of the doubt right up to when they sign Kris Russell for 4+ years.

MLSE hit rock bottom and checked into rehab. They're doing the program, they're saying the right things and yeah they're still taking methadone, but once they check out of rehab, and their trust fund starts paying out again, they're totally gonna live on the straight and narrow.

• Locked thread