Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cartouche posted:

Or especially after taking out a dozen zombies alone solo prior. Seriously, Cutty should have been able to simply punch zombie skulls and kill them instantly.

Wire talk: Still savoring S3 and am holding off on S4 for the moment.

S4 is good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah S4 is my favorite, I'm still savoring S3 too, finished it for the fourth time last week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm just about finished up season 5 on my latest rewatch (just got to Omar's final episode). The HD transfer is really good, I already owned the original DVDs but I don't regret picking this up at all.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Look what David Simon just posted on twitter: http://www.telerama.fr/livre/bedeth...time=1466417046

A comic book version of Homicide. Also, according to his twitter, an English version is "in discussions" at the moment

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Just finished S4.
RIP in peace Bodie. :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Cartouche posted:

Just finished S4.
RIP in peace Bodie. :(

The worst death in the whole series

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

The worst death in the whole series

Where's the Wallace scene, Boywhiz? WHERE'S THE WALLACE SCENE!?!

BOYWHIZ!

BOYWHIZ!

WHERE'S THE WALLACE SCENE!?!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wheres wallace doesnt sting as much now I know he went 12 rounds with the champ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LordPants posted:

Wheres wallace doesnt sting as much now I know he went 12 rounds with the champ

But he was also in that Fantastic Four movie. Some poo poo just sticks with you forever man :gonk:

holttho
May 21, 2007

I dunno, I get a little verklempt on this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It legit may be the most haunting image of the entire series for me. Frank walking to his death having just swallowed his pride and turning back to the people he despises because they've (once again!) offered him false hope of saving the things he truly cares about.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
All over a fuckin' church window.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That scene with Valcheck getting picture and saying a something in polish after frank dies always gets me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Harold Stassen posted:

All over a fuckin' church window.

This right here, loving gently caress.

Poor Frank.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hate the Greek so much. Every other 'villain' in the series, even Marlo, has some kind of pull or appeal (even if, in Marlo's case, it's terror). But the Greek's just smug business in a greasy diner and he's got everything set up perfectly. I hate hate hate him. He's a creative success and I wouldn't erase him from the series but God do I hate his stupid little face.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
A show full of well written characters will result in each viewer hating and loving their own sets of them.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I didn't hate Marlo but I didn't find him nearly as compelling as the people he killed/replaced. Until last episode when he starts personally loving people up who think he's gone soft/doesn't want to get his hands dirty.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Cheese is the one who really gets to me - he has his moment with the "who's your dog" scene but man, no loyalty at all. Prop Joe is loyal to him over and over because he's family and the second they have a minor disagreement, he's nothing to him.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Cheese was great and seeing him get unceremoniously killed is still one of my favorite moments in the show.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Cheese was great and seeing him get unceremoniously killed is still one of my favorite moments in the show.
Yeah he's a great character who inspires loathing - as an ironically detached goon I have no feelings and so me saying I hate a character is high praise for the writing/acting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Cheese is fantastic. I love how completely blind he is to his own place in the world, he IS a big deal but it's purely because of Prop Joe, and Marlo effectively uses him as a puppet and who knows how long that would have lasted before he felt he no longer needed him/Cheese offended him and then he'd be dead.

It's so great that the moment Cheese loses Joe and Marlo's protection, he's just unceremoniously killed by people who don't feel like they need to put up with his poo poo anymore even if he does have a huge amount of money to help get the Connect.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah he's a great character who inspires loathing - as an ironically detached goon I have no feelings and so me saying I hate a character is high praise for the writing/acting.

Ah yes, we call this the 'Peggy Hill response'.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Jerusalem posted:

But he was also in that Fantastic Four movie. Some poo poo just sticks with you forever man :gonk:

He's a legit B+ lister so that' nice :)

I always thought that Tristan Wilds would have been the one who got the big break after he was on that 90210 reboot but what can you do. But he's apparently doing really well as a musician so :) :)

https://soundcloud.com/mackwilds

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

The SituAsian posted:

He's a legit B+ lister so that' nice :)

I always thought that Tristan Wilds would have been the one who got the big break after he was on that 90210 reboot but what can you do. But he's apparently doing really well as a musician so :) :)

https://soundcloud.com/mackwilds

He was also in the video for Adele's "Hello".

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I started watching this with my girlfriend and shes enjoying it, but has a hard time following the slang and some of the conversations.

She called D'Angelo gettimg killed though in the second episode, she was just like hes soft and not a good dealer.

Its interesting watching with someone whose never seen it before

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
One thing bothered me about the Sobotka storyline. After they realize Frank is dead the FBI agent apologized to McNulty saying he thought Agent Koutris worked on customs cases but had been transfered to anti-terrorism implying that the FBI would protect the Greek because he could give good intel. Surely the mole would get in trouble for conspiring to kill a state's witness and the Greek was just as bad as a terrorist because his organization had already racked up two dozen bodies, imported tons of heroin, corrupted a port etc. The FBI might tolerate a criminal act to catch a bigger fish but there are limits, seemed kind of unrealistic in a show that was almost journalistic in tone.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I thought Koutris was straight up corrupt, not massaging a crime lord for intel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nope, that was my initial take as well but each re-watch it becomes clearer that the Greek became an FBI source at some point in the past (Koutris mentions looking into Glekas which was probably when they first met) and his info was netting them enough high-profile busts and the odd terrorist arrest to warrant trying to keep him protected. That's why Fitzhugh realizes the futility of ever saying anything to anyone but Daniels, if Koutris is Homeland Security and using the Greek as a CI then that trumps any concerns or complaints he could bring them about something as "irrelevant" as a major drugs case in Baltimore.

While what Koutris is doing is pretty horrifying and stretches legality to its limits I doubt he technically did anything illegal. He never actually tells the Greek to kill anybody or hears him say he will kill anybody, he just warns him that the police are looking into him so he needs to "clean up" and get out from under so it doesn't affect their working relationship - he's willfully being deaf, dumb and blind to what the Greek is doing. It's (on a wildly greater scale) pretty much the same thing as the detectives on the Detail letting Bubbles slide for various crimes he commits because he's feeding them good intel, and they do all but admit that they know Omar murdered people but they let him skate with a warning "not to do it again".

There are plenty of real life example of this type of thing happening, the most famous probably being Whitey Bulger - the Greek uses his status as an informant to help build his criminal empire even higher and even take out some enemies when it suits him. Koutris is corrupt only insofar as he's used the Greek to build his own career.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jerusalem posted:

Nope, that was my initial take as well but each re-watch it becomes clearer that the Greek became an FBI source at some point in the past (Koutris mentions looking into Glekas which was probably when they first met) and his info was netting them enough high-profile busts and the odd terrorist arrest to warrant trying to keep him protected. That's why Fitzhugh realizes the futility of ever saying anything to anyone but Daniels, if Koutris is Homeland Security and using the Greek as a CI then that trumps any concerns or complaints he could bring them about something as "irrelevant" as a major drugs case in Baltimore.

While what Koutris is doing is pretty horrifying and stretches legality to its limits I doubt he technically did anything illegal. He never actually tells the Greek to kill anybody or hears him say he will kill anybody, he just warns him that the police are looking into him so he needs to "clean up" and get out from under so it doesn't affect their working relationship - he's willfully being deaf, dumb and blind to what the Greek is doing. It's (on a wildly greater scale) pretty much the same thing as the detectives on the Detail letting Bubbles slide for various crimes he commits because he's feeding them good intel, and they do all but admit that they know Omar murdered people but they let him skate with a warning "not to do it again".

There are plenty of real life example of this type of thing happening, the most famous probably being Whitey Bulger - the Greek uses his status as an informant to help build his criminal empire even higher and even take out some enemies when it suits him. Koutris is corrupt only insofar as he's used the Greek to build his own career.

I think this explanation works better than "Kourtis was corrupt" as it highlights again how an institution in this case the FBI manages to gently caress things up by turning a blind eye to "small" crimes in exchange for help against "greater evils"

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Jerusalem posted:

Fitzhugh puts Frank's name on a CI list which is then read by Koutris and disclosed to the Greek. Vondas trusted the Sabotkas and was ready to sabotage the Glekas murder case but all that went away when Frank turned states evidence and the Greek found out about it. That has to be illegal.

That's actually a good point about Omar. It's really just a quibble at this point in a great season but interestingly John Connoly went to prison for the stuff he did for Whitey Bulger.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
This is relevant. I was going to post the pictures here, but I'll just link it instead.

Thanos and Darkseid, Carpool Buddies of Doom

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

Fitzhugh puts Frank's name on a CI list which is then read by Koutris and disclosed to the Greek. Vondas trusted the Sabotkas and was ready to sabotage the Glekas murder case but all that went away when Frank turned states evidence and the Greek found out about it. That has to be illegal.

That's actually a good point about Omar. It's really just a quibble at this point in a great season but interestingly John Connoly went to prison for the stuff he did for Whitey Bulger.

It's certainly very shady territory, but Koutris has more than enough deniability (and seniority - which sucks unless you're senior) to argue that he didn't endorse or even know the extent of his CI's guilt and it would be career suicide for Fitzhugh to try and expose him on such flimsy evidence (he didn't send that fax directly/exclusively to Koutris). From memory, didn't John Connolly have explicit knowledge of Bulger's crimes but still covered up for him and actively and knowingly helped him to take out rivals?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Jerusalem posted:

It's so great that the moment Cheese loses Joe and Marlo's protection, he's just unceremoniously killed by people who don't feel like they need to put up with his poo poo anymore even if he does have a huge amount of money to help get the Connect.

The only problem the crew has with Slim offing Cheese is him not waiting to get the connect money first. It's great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blind Melon posted:

The only problem the crew has with Slim offing Cheese is him not waiting to get the connect money first. It's great.

"This sentimental motherfucker just cost us money" :lol:

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I know that some characters will say the same line, like Clay Davis and Namond saying that they'll take any motherfucker's money. I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Lester and Rawlings say the same thing about that one LTs beachhouse. They both ask him and then immediately interrupt him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

theCalamity posted:

I know that some characters will say the same line, like Clay Davis and Namond saying that they'll take any motherfucker's money. I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Lester and Rawlings say the same thing about that one LTs beachhouse. They both ask him and then immediately interrupt him.
My favorite one is still "get on with it motherfu--" while both colvin and stringer are, uhh, executed.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

My favorite one is still "get on with it motherfu--" while both colvin and stringer are, uhh, executed.

I completely missed that one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Troll Bridgington posted:

I completely missed that one.
I noticed it on like my third rewatch or something and was all :aaaaa:. (I'm insane and watch this show like, once a year.) That whole season is comparing and contrasting Colvin and Stringer and their respective organizations so it was a great conclusion to show what happens when an individual tries to bend the rules.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Carver on top of a car yelling at a hopper: "You do not get to win, shitbird! We do!"

McNulty justifying his serial killer scheme: "Marlo's an rear end in a top hat! He does not get to win, WE get to win!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

(I'm insane and watch this show like, once a year.)

:hfive:

Wait... are we supposed to feel bad about this?