Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Alirght, everyone. I need help.

What shape is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrX2S8eSNH0

meta-feline

flowy kitteh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

He looks so much happier :kimchi:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Chili posted:

What shape is this?

non-newtonian fluid

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chili posted:

What shape is this?

Oh, I think I know this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecJLI-GRuU&t=61s

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Non-Newtonian housecat?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Radio! posted:

non-newtonian fluid

non-mewtonian fluid

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ElMaligno posted:

non-mewtonian fluid

:perfect:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Chili posted:

What shape is this?

Pile.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Slightly more skinny blob.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Goober Peas posted:

He looks so much happier :kimchi:

You'd be happier too if you could finally lick yourself. :D

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Chili posted:

What shape is this?

I still go back to the video you have of him running in the backyard. To remind myself it happened.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Chili posted:

What shape is this?

The perfect shape. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m66b9H724Y&t=2m29s

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I didn't stage this. But I won't try and convince you all that I'm telling the truth.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Butters, you are not helping my quest to avoid a nap today

:kimchi:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

I didn't stage this. But I won't try and convince you all that I'm telling the truth.

Holy poo poo. I cannot.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Hi foster and rescue people! I've lurked since forever, really appreciate everything you superstars do, and now I have a question.

I live off a busy road in a semi-residential area in New England. I sometimes see cats I suspect might be strays, most recently a long haired black dude or lady. The first time I saw it I was driving along said busy road and it was on the side...not the sidewalk but in the breakdown lane. If it hadn't disappeared I would have chased it, however it wasn't an option for me to do so that day. The second time, yesterday, I was outside my apartment in the evening and (s)he approached me when I clucked, gave a few gentle headbutts and rusty meows, then tripped off into the bushes. In the minute or two I had to examine it it didn't seem unduly starved or matted, but the booty area might well have been and its coat felt somewhat dirty. Whether this was because it spent the day lying in dirt before going home or because the dirt is its home, I couldn't say. It certainly didn't have a collar, and while I looked through Craigslist and the area's lost pet service, I couldn't find a match-at least not for cats reported missing in the last 6 months or so. Either this cat is an outdoor cat with no collar, or it's homeless.

Now I'm having a bit of a dilemma as to how I should proceed. We already have two cats; our apartment is very small and it is not an option to keep it...sorry to disappoint, PI. My current plan is to take a can of cat food out whenever I sit outside to use my vaporizer, if it comes back give it to him/her to keep it in the area while I run upstairs for our cardboard cat carrier, and then try to bundle it into the box and bring it inside. Then I will sequester it in our spare room until I can bring it to the local no-kill shelter, where I used to volunteer and now keep a professional relationship with. I intend to bring some food and cash with me when (if, really) I drop it off as a thank-you for everything they do.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up flea treatments to keep in the house from now on, because if the cat (or any others I might find) is truly homeless it likely has fleas. I will not be treating the cat with Advantage/etc, however-if it turns out it's a pet and had already been treated, I don't want to poison the poor thing. Just an all-natural spray, and once it's at the shelter, bombing the poo poo out of the room. I've had fleas before and know how to deal with them.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Am I doing the right thing? Is there something I could do better? When I took in strays before I was in a different living situation and my landlady worked with the local stray cat rescue team, so I was more hands-off. And I know I'm kind of getting ahead of myself here; I've only seen the cat twice and there was a gap of at least a week or so between sightings. And I'm only assuming it was the same cat both times!

Pictures promised if I run into the little buddy again. It's a pretty cat-long black hair and a tiny white star on the chest :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

porkswordonboard posted:

Hi foster and rescue people! I've lurked since forever, really appreciate everything you superstars do, and now I have a question.

I live off a busy road in a semi-residential area in New England. I sometimes see cats I suspect might be strays, most recently a long haired black dude or lady. The first time I saw it I was driving along said busy road and it was on the side...not the sidewalk but in the breakdown lane. If it hadn't disappeared I would have chased it, however it wasn't an option for me to do so that day. The second time, yesterday, I was outside my apartment in the evening and (s)he approached me when I clucked, gave a few gentle headbutts and rusty meows, then tripped off into the bushes. In the minute or two I had to examine it it didn't seem unduly starved or matted, but the booty area might well have been and its coat felt somewhat dirty. Whether this was because it spent the day lying in dirt before going home or because the dirt is its home, I couldn't say. It certainly didn't have a collar, and while I looked through Craigslist and the area's lost pet service, I couldn't find a match-at least not for cats reported missing in the last 6 months or so. Either this cat is an outdoor cat with no collar, or it's homeless.

Now I'm having a bit of a dilemma as to how I should proceed. We already have two cats; our apartment is very small and it is not an option to keep it...sorry to disappoint, PI. My current plan is to take a can of cat food out whenever I sit outside to use my vaporizer, if it comes back give it to him/her to keep it in the area while I run upstairs for our cardboard cat carrier, and then try to bundle it into the box and bring it inside. Then I will sequester it in our spare room until I can bring it to the local no-kill shelter, where I used to volunteer and now keep a professional relationship with. I intend to bring some food and cash with me when (if, really) I drop it off as a thank-you for everything they do.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up flea treatments to keep in the house from now on, because if the cat (or any others I might find) is truly homeless it likely has fleas. I will not be treating the cat with Advantage/etc, however-if it turns out it's a pet and had already been treated, I don't want to poison the poor thing. Just an all-natural spray, and once it's at the shelter, bombing the poo poo out of the room. I've had fleas before and know how to deal with them.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Am I doing the right thing? Is there something I could do better? When I took in strays before I was in a different living situation and my landlady worked with the local stray cat rescue team, so I was more hands-off. And I know I'm kind of getting ahead of myself here; I've only seen the cat twice and there was a gap of at least a week or so between sightings. And I'm only assuming it was the same cat both times!

Pictures promised if I run into the little buddy again. It's a pretty cat-long black hair and a tiny white star on the chest :3:

Always be rescuing i guess.. but i am an absolutely horrible example. it sounds good though. and its sounds like you have a big heart which is :3:

good on you.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

Always be rescuing i guess.. but i am an absolutely horrible example. it sounds good though. and its sounds like you have a big heart which is :3:

good on you.

That's high praise. I do my best. In that vein, let me introduce you to Hobbes.

When I was in college, I lived in a lovely apartment in the bad part of town. In exchange for my cheap rent, hardwood floors, high ceilings, and big windows, I got the chance to hide under a car for half an hour while a meth addict raged in the street-that's another story, and it does involve Mr. Hobbes. What I also got was the high frequency of stray cats in the neighborhood. It broke my heart, but I consoled myself with the fact that most seemed to be doing well, and my landlady and I worked to grab them when we could. Sometimes she'd place them in her basement (a truly creepy place-I called it the "murder basement) but there they would be fed and cared for until another opportunity arose. We even left a radio on for company, and because of the likely mouse infestation, I'm sure the cats loved it. I'd even hang with them while writing papers, trying to socialize them. But for one reason or another, sometimes we couldn't put a stray there. Which is how we come to Hobbes.

The landlady, who I'll call Selina, had been feeding this bony scarecrow of an orange cat for a while. He lived under the back porch (my porch, actually), for the time being, a space she'd made comfortable for strays. But he was so thin, and so scruffy...but SO, SO friendly. I've never had a cat headbutt me so hard, it was like he was trying to liquify his tiny little cat brains. Motherfucker was like a viking. She called him "Jeremiah," a name I found completely unsuitable, but she'd given up Judaism for her ultra-Christian husband who thought Halloween was sinful, so I let it slide.

At the time, I was poor as poor could be. I was in school still, spending every penny on school supplies and rent and food, and knew I couldn't afford the veterinary costs this dumb, bedraggled, sweet fool was sure to incur. So I tried, at first, to pawn him off on my roommate. I said he was a viking (which would appeal to her) and I called him Lochlan, which means 'red-headed warrior' or some such. She hemmed and hawed and ultimately decided it wasn't in her best interest at the present. And my poor, sweet fool wasn't gaining any weight; he was getting scruffier and scruffier. I was starting to panic.

Well, gently caress.

Finally, an angel appeared, in the form of my landlady. Selina came to me and offered to pay for his initial medical bills as long as I'd take him. Can you imagine how long it took me to come to a decision?

Yeah. About that long.

He's still scruffy, he still headbutts like he's trying to break through a wall, sometimes he revenge pees on stuff, but he's my little man. The Orange, Hobbles, The Hubble Telescope...or, officially, Jeremiah Lochlan Hobbes.

A grade-A dork.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Hobbes is a quality cat.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
That is a quality fuzzball right there. Strays and runts are the best.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

porkswordonboard posted:

I guess what I'm asking is this: Am I doing the right thing? Is there something I could do better? When I took in strays before I was in a different living situation and my landlady worked with the local stray cat rescue team, so I was more hands-off. And I know I'm kind of getting ahead of myself here; I've only seen the cat twice and there was a gap of at least a week or so between sightings.

You're absolutely doing the right thing. You've obviously put a great deal of thought and energy into this situation and have a solid plan, so please continue! You said you live near a busy road so you will likely be extending the life of this cat, plus if it hasn't been fixed you can reduce the number of potential future strays by catching this one.

Not everyone in the world is kind to stray animals so you should feel good about helping this one!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The Sailor Kittens are about to go for adoption. They're all friendly and healthy, if a little shy, but this is the happy ending part :D

In exchange, we get...more sick and underfed babies. Our foster coordinator trusts us a lot so we get the pitiful ones who need the most love and lots of food and medicine.

I'll leave you all with the recipe we use to help with healthy weight gain. This makes a batch fit for an empty pasta sauce jar.

1/2 cup KMR
1 cup water
1 can A&D wet food
2 egg yolks
You can also add a spoonful of baby food, but not all kittens like it.

Place all ingredients in jar, using funnel not to spill the KMR, and mix with fork to get the worst lumps out. Put lid on jar and shake like hell. There will be lumps still, but with time they dissolve. Syringe feed every 3-6 hours, depending on size and health. Scale to fit containers you have as long as the water : KMR ratio remains 2 : 1.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Pork, what everyone else said is correct. Keep that up!

And thanks for the weight gain recipe, another tool for the OP.

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to make this a great resource!

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

We missed the foster coordinator's phone call earlier today, so we're hanging onto the Sailor Kittens for a week longer. They need more socialization anyway, I plan to do 1:1 cuddletimes with each of them as often as I can to get them more cuddly. Right now they're more intent on drinking all the water in existence (guys we live in a desert...) and running around under things.

Btw, did you know that if you move very quietly, you can sneak up on a kitten? It's true. And hilarious when they realize what's happened.

The four super pathetic ones we were waiting on went to another foster, and instead we are getting a really tiny (3-4 weeks) kitten with undernourishment and depression. The guy who had the mom and the litter initially was loving feeding them cow's milk. Nothing else. Jesus Christ. And then I think he gave us a wholly unrelated mom, because the one we were told went with the litter (of two, by then the other kittens had died) was no longer lactating. Wednesday night when I was doing a shift at the HUB, Rose was moving them into an infirmary cage and was commenting on them weighing less than a potato chip apiece :unsmith: and I got to hold the brother, who was tiny and grey and white and I gave him kisses.

He died last night. It was a shock to all of us, but I guess it underscores how critically sick they are/were.

We haven't named her yet. I'm still trying to think of something. She likes the weight gain formula once it's warmed up a little, and she really likes cuddles, but she hasn't purred yet. She almost fell asleep on my chest earlier, which was really cute. I'm gonna be really loving upset if she dies too.

Not a great picture, I'll try to get one tomorrow with natural light if she survives the night.

This kitten season has been brutal.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
WTF? Who feeds kittens cow milk?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Haji posted:

WTF? Who feeds kittens cow milk?

Well meaning but clueless people who only know that kittens are supposed to love milk from Tom & Jerry cartoons I'm guessing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Well meaning but clueless people who only know that kittens are supposed to love milk from Tom & Jerry cartoons I'm guessing.

Well meaning but clueless people that think since humans can consume it it must be good for cats.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

She's not the most eager eater we've had, but she's far from the most reluctant. Right now she's sleeping on the panda plush we put in with her since she's used to siblings.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LivesInGrey posted:

She's not the most eager eater we've had, but she's far from the most reluctant. Right now she's sleeping on the panda plush we put in with her since she's used to siblings.

Sounds adorable :3:

Any pics?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I was 18 a momma cat died on our property and a few hours later we found her babies, we too gave them cows milk thinking it would help and they all died, we know better now but yea, its not malicious, people mean well and try with whatever they have on hand.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
And here I'm all excited because I actually managed to find a source of opossum acceptable formula. Though I have heard that goat milk works for most orphaned animals, but I'm not sure of the validity of that.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I guess I should be nicer to the guy. If you have no idea what KMR is, you're not going to know to use it, and even then, it's hard to find sometimes. When I went to Petco to get some, I had to ask a clerk, and she vaguely asked "stage one or two?" :confused: I don't know, it's for sick kittens. "how old are they?" uhhhhh six-eight weeks? and then she gave us stage 2, which is apparently not great for urgent care food, but Rose can take it and give it to another foster who takes care of older kittens. So yeah, you have the "knowledge it exists" barrier, "can't find it easily in a store", and "clerk doesn't know how to parse 'it's for sick kittens'". From the way she behaved with it, you'd think it was worth its weight in gold (got it from the back, took it to the register).

Comparatively, the local pet emporium (Clark's represent!) just has it in the cat supplies section. Weird.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Thanks for the kind responses, everyone :3: Still no sign of Black Kitty, but I have hope. People are starting to set off fireworks, though...everyone, please keep your eyes peeled for strays in the next few weeks if you're in the US! Because of pets bolting through fear of loud noises, Independence Day is a tough time for shelters. If you *do* pick up a stray, try to keep it at home for as long as you can, especially if your local shelters are high-kill. They will be inundated with found animals.

And, while I'm sure none of you need to hear this, I can't help but remind everyone to double check fencing and collars, bring all indoor/outdoor pets inside for tomorrow at the very least, and remind your friends, family and coworkers to do the same. Dogs can and will jump a fence/break through it if it's not properly secured. Give people a lot of poo poo if they're considering bringing their pet to a fireworks display, because that's borderline cruelty.

Stay safe everybody!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

porkswordonboard posted:

Thanks for the kind responses, everyone :3: Still no sign of Black Kitty, but I have hope. People are starting to set off fireworks, though...everyone, please keep your eyes peeled for strays in the next few weeks if you're in the US! Because of pets bolting through fear of loud noises, Independence Day is a tough time for shelters. If you *do* pick up a stray, try to keep it at home for as long as you can, especially if your local shelters are high-kill. They will be inundated with found animals.

And, while I'm sure none of you need to hear this, I can't help but remind everyone to double check fencing and collars, bring all indoor/outdoor pets inside for tomorrow at the very least, and remind your friends, family and coworkers to do the same. Dogs can and will jump a fence/break through it if it's not properly secured. Give people a lot of poo poo if they're considering bringing their pet to a fireworks display, because that's borderline cruelty.

Stay safe everybody!

I haven't been able to get the dog to leave the house after dark for the past week.

I FINALLY got him lured outside last night and some jackass set off a mortar next to my yard and he went skittering back in. Then today he was being Extra Brave and was out while firecrackers were going off then a different jackass set off a screamer. :negative:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Our old lady cat, Rena, HATES loud noises, including thunderstorms and fireworks. This isn't a good time of year for her because there's almost always something loud going on. Poor girl :(.

Barring something unforeseen, the sick kitten Embers and the Sailor Kittens are all going back tomorrow :cry: I'm super sick with a summer cold and LiG sprained his knee the other night, so we're both in awful shape for being up and down with feedings and socialization. I wasn't going to say anything about it, but he knows I overwork myself when given the chance, so he made the call to Rose before I could get to that point. I'm gonna miss them soooooooo much and I worry about the Sailors being adopted over the week since the city will be full of kittens and I worry about Embers' prognosis and and and :cry:

I'm so mad at myself for being sick, this really sucks. :smith:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I lack the moral fiber required to foster, y'all are beautiful people. :allears:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I want to share a SuperDuper Shelter Success Story!

This is Doug. Doug came to the shelter on June 25th. Yesterday was his first day off stray hold and in the adoptable cat area. He was there for 4 whole hours before he was adopted by a cute young couple who wanted a sweet young playful cat. Enter stage right: Doug!

Doug also loves catnip.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You ever have one of those moments where you gaze upon a cat and see one of your departed babies?

I went to Petsmart and holy crap they had this poofy girl up for adoption, it was like looking at Kami again, I actually cried in my car after I left, it was just uncanny.

Wish I had the income to adopt her. :smith:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Geolicious posted:

I want to share a SuperDuper Shelter Success Story!

This is Doug. Doug came to the shelter on June 25th. Yesterday was his first day off stray hold and in the adoptable cat area. He was there for 4 whole hours before he was adopted by a cute young couple who wanted a sweet young playful cat. Enter stage right: Doug!

Doug also loves catnip.

That is some serious goddamned mlem right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JackMann posted:

That is some serious goddamned mlem right there.

I allllllmost deleted the pic and took another but then I was like "no, the universe needed me to have this mlem."

Another SuperDuper Shelter Success is Ronald The Blur. He came up the same day as Doug (Sunday) and went to his forever home yesterday (Monday)!

(I hope it's OK if I can share my shelter stories in here; I know it's not necessarily fostering)

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 5, 2016