Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Crain posted:

I hope so too.

Does anyone still have a link to the list of accepted runs?
I found the submissions; it's the Genesis Ghostbusters, which is probably the second-best choice for a Ghostbusters game to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Keith Stack posted:

Remember when I complained about the lack of Sega Genesis games at AGDQ 2016?

I'm back to complain about the lack of Sega Genesis games at SGDQ 2016.

There is a strange lack of Sega Genesis games at SGDQ 2016 and I'm angry as heck about it!!!
I think there's just a lack of Genesis games in streaming in general, even Scrubathon barely had any and they usually go obscure

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
In case you were wondering, Mitch's time on Stephen Colbert was 3:25.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Stokes posted:

That was a fun segment, campy but in a good way. It's also nice that the announcer was clearly briefed on the basics of all three legs of the race.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stokes posted:

I want to see a rematch, Colbert clearly had a bottle of ice cold water nearby. He didn't announce that this would be a tool-assisted feedrun

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The following people have owned speedrunners in competition:

Stephen Colbert
John Numbers

Egoraptor (but not all of them)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Splatoon and Hot Pockets, speedrunners' arch-enemies

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Keith Stack posted:

Remember when I complained about the lack of Sega Genesis games at AGDQ 2016?

I'm back to complain about the lack of Sega Genesis games at SGDQ 2016.

There is a strange lack of Sega Genesis games at SGDQ 2016 and I'm angry as heck about it!!!

generally people like watching speedruns of good games which is why the genesis is so under-represented at gdq events :ssh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
NES Ghostbusters is a special flavor of awful and, having owned that game in my youth, I would not wish it upon my worst enemy.

Cubey posted:

generally people like watching speedruns of good games which is why the genesis is so under-represented at gdq events :ssh:

:wow:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Is the Stephen Colbert segment on Youtube or something for us non-americans?

E: Nvm I guess this is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLwpnn1F4Y

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Star Ocean 5 has unskippable cutscenes, longest one so far is 17 minutes and 30some seconds, if you are a sadist say yes when somebody asks you if it is runnable.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Zamujasa posted:

NES Ghostbusters is a special flavor of awful and, having owned that game in my youth, I would not wish it upon my worst enemy.

:wow:

The first one is so extra terrible but I owned the second one and I loved playing it. It's like they realized how lovely the first one was and went out of their way to make the second better.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Demicol posted:

Is the Stephen Colbert segment on Youtube or something for us non-americans?

E: Nvm I guess this is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLwpnn1F4Y

This was genuinely funny.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BattleHamster posted:

He's a dude who can complete Metroid Prime in a short amount of time.

Seriously though, what is it that you want to know other than that? His twitch is here: https://www.twitch.tv/justindm_speedruns

Just kinda curious if he was a new WR holder or something or any strange personality quirks I guess.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SGDQ thread is up. Play nicely, now.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Game time lads.
:getin:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tracula posted:

Just kinda curious if he was a new WR holder or something or any strange personality quirks I guess.

The old guy was constantly correcting his commentators with a "well ACTUALLY" so I'm fine with a new guy

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

Genesis had some amazing stuff you heathen. :colbert:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Just when you thought you were safe, with SGDQ right around the corner

ha ha ha i have a freedom planet PB to annoy the thread with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsHAXZYonw

Sub-36 is just around the corner. And edging ever closer to WR while Fladervy is distracted for two weeks with SGDQ and Milla%!!!

i will never get WR ever again lmao but still i can improve this a bit

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 3, 2016

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Of course you can get WR again. I believe in you.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I don't know whats going on but sockfolder is messing with OOT any%, so I assume something got broken, or is getting broken again.

https://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

eSporks posted:

I don't know whats going on but sockfolder is messing with OOT any%, so I assume something got broken, or is getting broken again.

https://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder

Sockfolder fiddling with anything usually means something interesting is afoot. I cannot wait to see where this goes.

MooCowlian posted:

Of course you can get WR again. I believe in you.

The support is always appreciated! But it's more of a personal thing, in that I was aiming for a modest mid-35 sorta run and then maybe set the game aside for some time. Both the game and the community surrounding it (not just the runners, not even mostly runners) drive me kind of apeshit and it's actually genuinely starting to take a toll.

shoutouts to that one insane FP fan who threatened to fly to ESA and fight me for the crime of going fast lmao

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 3, 2016

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The chat is saying it's an 8 second time saver, but the real benefit is that it will reduce a lot of RNG.

Something to do with keeping your underwater state to activate 'Get Item Manipulation'? Seems to involve baiting a Scrub to attack Link as he's exiting a dive.

Edit: https://www.twitch.tv/skater82297/v/75783108?t=08h08m23s This is what it looks like. I have no idea what purpose it serves, the any% route has changed an enormous amount since I last watched.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 3, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Basically Skater found a way to trigger a similar state that was previously required for the GIM trick which is used to collect a bottle inside the Deku Tree. In short, the game is being tricked to think Link is underwater even when he's actually not and this causes some fuckery with how items are collected. For any%, the benefit is that you don't have to rely on the RNG to get a random Deku nut drop at a very specific spot, now you'll be able to get a reliable drop instead. There's also a possible time save of some seconds although I'm not sure how confirmed that is at this point, the last I checked Sockfolder was trying to figure out a few things and find a good setup for the trick.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

don't forget to donate for Sam for lbw, it's the second game up.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Welp

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Man, I'm really bummed it didn't end up being Sam - I finished chemo and radiation treatment after an operation for penile cancer with local metastasis to a lymph node in the groin on the 23rd of May, so I know how hard all of that is, and I know how much of a kick I'd have gotten out of getting a tiny shoutout like that.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It got sniped right at the end :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hahaha the run was so good some poor guy has to watch anime now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What are you trying to say about Anime, Alabaster White.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

What are you trying to say about Anime, Alabaster White.

Snow Halation.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did people not know why Sam was one of the picks or what?

What name ended up winning

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
rooCry, which is the name of an emote for twitch streamer Admiral Bahroo, who isn't a bad person at all and probably just didn't know what they were bidding against.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Died at the end of 5-2, brutal...

AGAIN :supaburn:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 3, 2016

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You guys are aware that there is a thread for SGDQ?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

It's not a popular speedgame, but I've been doing runs of Bionic Commando. My PB so far is 1:15:58, which I kinda wish I had recorded video of.

I've found a trick that the existing runs don't use that would let me cut off some time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18aslhwKTa0

As you can see in the video you can throw a physics object and grab on to it to fly. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to do it reliably. It's clearly not something you're meant to be able to do, but sometimes it works. I had multiple failed attempts before getting it for this video. I can get it somewhat reliably if I throw a cluster of three objects, but unfortunately there aren't any of those at the start of this particular level.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Yea Ive known about that for a while but getting it to be remotely consistent is not something Ive had luck with. Theres also a way to slide along the ground while maintaining full swinging velocity but thats even less possible.

Let me know if you have questions or anything, its a weird game to get a grasp on but man it feels good when the movement goes well.

Edit: holy poo poo that skipped the entire spawn trigger? Thats like a minute+ segment easily right there.

MURPHAGATOR! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 5, 2016

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah, it's by far the biggest skip I've found. I've also been able to fly across the water at the end without swinging from the mines, but the end of level trigger doesn't spawn until you've hacked the relay.

It's also pretty handy in the final corridor.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So what you;re saying, this is a great moment to start getting into Bionic Commando speedruns.

I knew there was a reason I picked it up on the steam sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to post in this thread as well to say Halfcoordinated owns.

Screw your forum norms.

• Locked thread