Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

RNG posted:

I was excited the first time I saw a clothing store in the game, so I could finally change out of that poo poo, and then every single outfit is just a palette swap.

But it's his iconic outfit! We need to keep it on to help cosplayers! :ubisoftsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kumaton posted:

But it's his iconic outfit! We need to keep it on to help cosplayers! :ubisoftsay:

Ubisoft seems to be like a cargo cult about marketing at this point, it's insanity

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Somfin posted:

Ubisoft seems to be like a cargo cult about marketing at this point, it's insanity

I think its more "this is what the kids find hip and cool" if the promo image for Watch Dogs 2 is anything to go by.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

The game is so uninteresting they had to advertise for games within the game that don't actually reward you or anything, they just don't want you to actually play Watch_Dogs.

There are a handful of rewards for the digital trips (outfits) and some of the minigames (actual gameplay stuff/weapons). I am left scratching my head at how many not remotely cyberpunk or otherwise relevant minigames there are, though. Thirty levels of wacky QTE drinking games, really?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

There are a handful of rewards for the digital trips (outfits) and some of the minigames (actual gameplay stuff/weapons). I am left scratching my head at how many not remotely cyberpunk or otherwise relevant minigames there are, though. Thirty levels of wacky QTE drinking games, really?

Mostly the spider tank thing, which featured pretty heavily in the marketing and is fairly heavily promoted in-game but there's literally zero reason to actually do it other than it actually being a better game than watch_dogs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah, that gives you an outfit apparently. Not that it's anything special.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RNG posted:

I was excited the first time I saw a clothing store in the game, so I could finally change out of that poo poo, and then every single outfit is just a palette swap.

I'm surprised he can't change into something even more stupid like the rear end'n'Piss Creep outfit (that was Ubisoft, righ?)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Best minigame was the flower bouncing one just because how out of place it seemed.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I had fun playing it, but I only spent like 20 bucks on it way after it came out. I thought the outfits were goofy, but they looked like stuff that a dorky dude with no fashion sense would pick out in his late teens from a hot topic-like store as his 'superhero hacker' costume, which I figured was his characterization.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alteisen posted:

I think its more "this is what the kids find hip and cool" if the promo image for Watch Dogs 2 is anything to go by.

I like how they tried exactly this for the first one, had it not work, then in true Ubisoft way, doubled down.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Sports games are notorious for this poo poo.

I used to have a roommate/gaming buddy and he'd piss me off by always finding a way to ruin a game.

In Techmo Super Bowl he figured out a way to block every field goal and sack every play action pass. I guess it's a known exploit but I enver figured out how to do it. NHL 95 he had this shot where he'd just push the pass if he was a center of the ice straight at my goalie. About 50% of the time it would go right through the five hole.

NFL Gameday on PS1, he figured a way where "quick outs" combined with one HB toss audible was completely unstoppable. [/b]NHL2k4[/b] he discoverd this wraparound move that resulted in a goal 75% of the time. That one was easier to stop but the whole game became centered around stopping wraparounds. [NBA Live] he was able to nail threes constantly no matter who he was shooting with.

Fucker ruined every sports game we owned eventually, and sports games are usually no fun against the CPU after a while. For some reason, he sucked at Madden though and managed to never exploit the money plays in a game rife with them.

Speaking of Madden, how is it that that game's been around for 25 years and it's still loving broken? I'm on page 4 of the thread so maybeit's been brought up.

The only way to have fun with it is to play with other guys who barely play it and who just like football; dudes who don't play it like a loving religion. Every year it seems it takes about 3 days for fuckers to start cheesing everything, reducing the game to a "rock, paper, scissors" contest involving about 2 or 3 separate money plays. Every year it ruins the online experience. Every year, certain plays never work (especially against the CPU). I'm looking at you Play Action Pass, End reverse, HB Draw and Flea-flicker, especially draws and Play action. Third and 13? I call a draw? Snuffed. 2nd and one, I call play action rollout? Sack.

I don't know if EA just doesn't rigorously play test it because motherfuckers stand in line to buy it every year anyway or if football is just impossible to get right but NFL2k5 and even All Pro Football hold up great (even though there are exploits on those games too - corner routes especially). Seems to me EA could have incorporated some form of the game learning your tendencies over time and adjusting the AI just a bit, even in head to head. Or just tweaked and and modified play calling exploits a little bit every year so that 20 years later the cheese is taken out. I actually think they should simplify it some instead of adding to the complexity every year (line shifts, spies, hot routes, etc.) because those fixes always seem to break as much as they fix or, often, don't loving work at all.

And, oh yeah, sliders. WTF, EA? Why do I have to tinker with difficulty sliders on every game YOU design? Why am I playtesting your product through trial and error rather than you guys just making sure the default sliders are pretty accurate? Sliders should be adjustable based on your personal preferences (more injuries, fewer penalties, more fumbles, random weather, faster or slower play) not to fix the loving game.

I could poo poo up a whole thread just on the lovely poo poo that Madden shits up every making GBS threads year with this poo poo. I never even got into the rubber band AI problem. The game "learns" your tendencies by making you fumble, turning Blaine Gabbert into Tom Brady on occasion and producing instant sacks when it decides it's time for the CPU to get one. 3rd and 12 and I call a draw play?

edit:

Nuebot posted:

Skyrim really does feel kind of empty in weird ways because it's full of poo poo but I honestly can't think of anything that especially stands out to me about it, the world is just a kind of blur of trees and grey rocks with snow outside of that one cool sulfuric geyser area.

This is what bugged me about it and Fallout 3 too to a lesser extent. The world all seemed to look the same, not just the dungeons. At least in Oblivion, different areas had a different feel to them and a little more diversity in flavor, weather and monsters. It's not a "broken" thing so whatever.

Mister Adequate posted:

I always thought a sci-fi themed racer like Wipeout or Rollcage should have a track which warps around the equator of Mars or something and it's a Le Mans style endurance race.

I have bad ideas and should not be permitted to make video games.

What are you talking about? This is a great idea.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jun 26, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm surprised he can't change into something even more stupid like the rear end'n'Piss Creep outfit (that was Ubisoft, righ?)

No, nothing Ubisoft has ever made is as bad as that pun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Crysis 2 has a pretty basic SMG you can pick up early on called the Feline, and it's largely an inoffensive weapon you'll ditch the moment you get a SCAR. Until you know how to break it into a sneaky killing machine.

See, the thing is that an aimed headshot from it will kill in one hit, and it drains very little Energy if you fire while cloaked. So if you customize it to Single-Shot fire with the extended clip, pistol silencer and the reflex sights, you're set to murder every human enemy in the game completely undetected with a sixty-shot semi-auto silent rifle :ninja:.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

No, nothing Ubisoft has ever made is as bad as that pun.

:evilbuddy:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Crysis 2 has a pretty basic SMG you can pick up early on called the Feline, and it's largely an inoffensive weapon you'll ditch the moment you get a SCAR. Until you know how to break it into a sneaky killing machine.

See, the thing is that an aimed headshot from it will kill in one hit, and it drains very little Energy if you fire while cloaked. So if you customize it to Single-Shot fire with the extended clip, pistol silencer and the reflex sights, you're set to murder every human enemy in the game completely undetected with a sixty-shot semi-auto silent rifle :ninja:.

Mass Effect 2 has something extremely similar. There's DLC that adds a character named Kasumi who is otherwise unremarkable, but her loyalty mission can be done right out of the starting gate and the whole mission is essentially a James Bond homage. You infiltrate a party for high-class crooks, schmooze your way into the big bad's private collection of cool stuff, and along the way you pick up an SMG called the Locust. It hits like a truck, makes next to no noise, and has zero recoil. There's no point in using any other gun once you have it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sitchelin posted:

Mass Effect 2 has something extremely similar. There's DLC that adds a character named Kasumi who is otherwise unremarkable, but her loyalty mission can be done right out of the starting gate and the whole mission is essentially a James Bond homage. You infiltrate a party for high-class crooks, schmooze your way into the big bad's private collection of cool stuff, and along the way you pick up an SMG called the Locust. It hits like a truck, makes next to no noise, and has zero recoil. There's no point in using any other gun once you have it.

Kasumi's special ability Shadow Strike is an absurdly strong single-target attack that is basically a guaranteed kill on any non-boss enemy in the game

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nuebot posted:

In Fable 2 whether you start as a man or a woman you turn into The Blob if you level up strength.

or
?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

quote:

This glitch was addressed directly by Nintendo, and plagues many of the launch Wii versions of Twilight Princess. While Link is in the Cannon room in Kakariko Village, save the game while inside, turn the game off, then turn it back on. Shad, who was previously in the room, will no longer appear there, however when the player attempts to warp the cannon, Midna will act as though a person is still in the room - however, Shad is nowhere in sight. When Link attempts to leave the room, Shad appears on a separate dialog screen, and asks Link where he is going. This makes it impossible for Link to leave the room by any means, as Midna won't allow him to warp and Shad will not allow him to leave the room.

Notes: Once the glitch has been performed, it is impossible to reverse the glitch unless the file in which the glitch was performed is erased, or the game is exchanged with Nintendo for an updated version that does not have the glitch.

Oh, did we say 'favorite' broken poo poo? My bad. Thankfully when I did this to myself I had already beaten the game once, but it was still really frustrating.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I had that bullshit happen to me too, had to restart.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
A couple (well, like 10) years ago I got a bug in the Eastern Sun mod for Diablo 2 with one Assassin ability. Some of her skills could build charges that would ramp up power when eventually released by a finisher, and one charge move would do area-of-effect damage upon release. Thing is, whatever was wrong with my game made every additional point into the skill basically triple the area for a pretty early-game skill, so before long I would get a few little punches off, then fill the entire loaded area of the map with flames and explosions and spend the next five minutes walking before I'd run into another living enemy. I have a screenshot of it somewhere on an old computer, but it was about the funniest thing I'd seen in a game. Not intentional/programmed, but the best bug I could have stumbled upon however it happened.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Now that HOI4 is out, I started thinking about HOI3. I spent like 450 hours playing HOI3. I liked it, but gawddamn was it gamey.

HOI3 was based off of the same engine at HOI2, but with some modification. If you've played HOI2, then you remember that HOI2 was played by stacking hundreds of divisions into one province, and then using it as an unstoppable doomstack to rampage across the world. In order to prevent this in HOI3, the designers introduced stacking penalty, which was supposed to stop you from putting hundreds of divisions into one province and just letting loose. On land, this worked, since stacking penalty was relative to combat width, meaning the benefit you got from putting tons of divisions into a province rapidly crossed a 1:1 ratio with stacking penalty negatives.

However, this was never appropriately applied in the air and at sea. Consequently, one of the strategies in multiplayer was to just build mass-mass-mass CAGs (carrier air groups) and mass-mass-mass light cruisers, and you'd ruin your opponents at land and sea. Panzers bending your infantry over like a 12 dollar hooker? No problem, totally ruin their organization by striking them with 120 CAGs at once. US has waaaaay too many carriers? No problem friendo, nothing that 200 light cruisers can't take care off.

There was also some other bullshit you could do, like constructing your task forces entirely out of carriers, because they would completely outrun every ship in the game, so that enemy ships could never actually get in range to shoot at them. Or, when lend-lease was introduced, you could feed the entirety of your IC to some nations, so when the Soviet Union got invaded, the US could feed their IC to them, giving them three times the industrial capacity of Germany.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Kingdom Hearts 2 there waa equipment that would multiply the amount of experience you earned from killing enemies if your health was dangerously low. There was also a gimmicky arena in the Lion King level where an endless supply of super weak flying enemies would descend on you en masse. And you had a spell that acted like a vortex and drew in enemies while damaging them.

Combine all three and you could make a literal meat grinder that would power-level you to the point of being able to steamroll the game just from running around in circles casting the spell over and over for five minutes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

In Kingdom Hearts 2 there waa equipment that would multiply the amount of experience you earned from killing enemies if your health was dangerously low. There was also a gimmicky arena in the Lion King level where an endless supply of super weak flying enemies would descend on you en masse. And you had a spell that acted like a vortex and drew in enemies while damaging them.

Combine all three and you could make a literal meat grinder that would power-level you to the point of being able to steamroll the game just from running around in circles casting the spell over and over for five minutes.

Wasn't this so broken they took it out of every other version of the game?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I don't know if it counts as "broken" (the whole game was), but in Final Fantasy VII I once found a foolproof way to cheese the game automatically with zero effort. It only works with Aeris in your team, because she has healing limit breaks, and it requires a programmable pad with autofire. What you do is go in a large open area on the world map, autofire the "confirm" button (I forget if it was X or O), and put a weight on the left button of the D-pad to keep it pressed. The combination of always running in the same direction and the 3D map (it wouldn't work in a classic overhead map, nor indeed in FFVII's static screen dungeons) would make Cloud (protagonist and player/party avatar for most of the game) run in circles in the same place. Eventually, you'll get a random encounter. Keeping the left button pressed and the confirm button on autofire would keep selecting the "defend" command. So your party does jack poo poo while the enemies attack them. Why don't you get stuck on the first fight? because every enemy attack fills your Limit (i.e. special move) bar, and when the Limit bar is full, the only available command, replacing even "defend", becomes Limit Break, which is in almost all cases a powerful offensive move. This takes care of random encounters. Auto-firing the confirm button dismsses the after-battle loot and experience screens too. Healing isn't automatic in FFVII, so how do you survive fight after fight? Playable character Aeris (who notoriously suffers a perma-death a third of the way into the game) is the only character with defensive Limit Breaks, and as long as she's in the party, this auto-cheesing trick will kept the party healed. Enemy stats don't scale with player stats but by area (which is roughly tied to plot progression), so if you keep the trick going for long enough, your buff PCs can steamroll through most of the game unchallenged

e: ha, almost forgot, your unused PCs get a fraction of the experience too, so they're never too far behind your party

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Jul 3, 2016

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

hackbunny posted:

FFVII stuff

There's a similar trick in FF6. There's a part of the main story where your group is fleeing on a raft, and at several points, you have to choose which path to take. One of those choices is a short loop which brings you back to the same split. By holding down a button with autofire, you can loop around endlessly.
There's also an NPC who temporarily joins your party at this point, and his special skill is Health, which heals your whole party for no cost.
If you set your other party members to fight, and one to do Health, you can endlessly fight random battles and level up your party members.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, the FF6 method isn't quite as good, since you're missing out on the stat boosts you get from leveling up because your party doesn't have Espers yet.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, the FF6 method isn't quite as good, since you're missing out on the stat boosts you get from leveling up because your party doesn't have Espers yet.

A level 50 party with no esper bonuses is more than good enough to beat the game, so if you level on autopilot to 70+ you're still going to effortlessly stomp everything.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
There's a good lp of a goon making ff6 his bitch in the lp archives.

FF6 was so broken.

Pretty sure the game was held together with bits of string and hope.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hackbunny posted:

Playable character Aeris (who notoriously suffers a perma-death a third of the way into the game)
I love everything about this phrasing.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love everything about this phrasing.

It's an old-rear end game that was never remade, I considered saying just "(who dies)" but characters die all the time in RPGs :shobon: And I enjoy explaining things in plain terms

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Warlords Battlecry was a really cool fantasy RTS that came out in 2000 and offered a really good challenge - unless you played an Undead Illusionist, who, when they hit a certain level, could break the game (and multiplayer opponents) over their knee.

Undead heroes were able to summon skeletons using only mana. That was fine, because skeletons were the most pathetically weak units in the game. They were in fact pretty much useless, unless you played an Illusionist. Illusionists got access to a spell called Transform, which changed infantry into randomly selected other infantry, from any race. Once you got this skill up to Grand Mastery level (and you could grind skirmish mode on custom maps that borked the AI, so you could get there really quickly), you were able to use the spell to turn skeletons into random top-tier infantry - stuff that would normally take the entire tech tree to produce one at a time, Undead Illusionists could create 16 at a time - within about a minute of the game starting and using only mana. Worse, summoned creatures didn't count towards your army limit, so every 30 seconds or so, after your mana recharged, you could summon 16 more skeletons, Transform them and send them on their merry way. Forever, with no need to construct a single building.

There was simply no defence against this. Any other hero would have maybe a few buildings and basic troops, and would be descended upon by 16 Dwarf Lords, Vampires, Reavers, Minotaur Kings, or, worst of all, White Mages, who were able to use mass AOE heals on each other and were pretty much an invincible column of death. And if by some miracle you survived the early-game assault by 5th tier infantry, you would be facing another 16 of them maybe 30 seconds later. And then another, then another, then another.

Transform did not appear in the sequel.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

hackbunny posted:

It's an old-rear end game that was never remade, I considered saying just "(who dies)" but characters die all the time in RPGs :shobon: And I enjoy explaining things in plain terms

Keep in mind it was fairly recently released on Steam and had a remake announced. It's not exactly in the same class as Anachronox

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

hackbunny posted:

running into a wall for fun and profit

FFX-2 had a really cheesy version of this - a rubber band around the analog stick plus something weighing down the "confirm" button could max out a party of two dark knights and an alchemist (the most broken possible party to steamroll the game with) in a few hours, since AP/job points didn't scale with level. Running into a wall would still set off random encounters, so you could set up in a spot on Miihen Highroad or something and walk away from the game to go jerk off or smoke weed or whatever and come back to utter destruction in the form of several teenage girls. Both the dark knights cast Darkness, which drains HP but not MP, the alchemist uses their free Mega-Potion skill to heal the entire party, repeat ad infinitum. Since they're all using skills and not regular attacks, they get 1AP every time they act.

FFX-2 was also not so good. I like the costumes though :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In FF7 you could just use an autofire controller and the swamp, the snake always swims at you itself.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Keep in mind it was fairly recently released on Steam and had a remake announced. It's not exactly in the same class as Anachronox

Isn't it one of the most famous plot events ever? Even I've known about it for years and I've never played the game in my life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roro posted:

Isn't it one of the most famous plot events ever? Even I've known about it for years and I've never played the game in my life.

Believe it or not, it actually caught someone by surprise when it happened in the Let's Play over in the subforum.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

TheKennedys posted:

FFX-2 had a really cheesy version of this - a rubber band around the analog stick plus something weighing down the "confirm" button could max out a party of two dark knights and an alchemist (the most broken possible party to steamroll the game with) in a few hours, since AP/job points didn't scale with level. Running into a wall would still set off random encounters, so you could set up in a spot on Miihen Highroad or something and walk away from the game to go jerk off or smoke weed or whatever and come back to utter destruction in the form of several teenage girls. Both the dark knights cast Darkness, which drains HP but not MP, the alchemist uses their free Mega-Potion skill to heal the entire party, repeat ad infinitum. Since they're all using skills and not regular attacks, they get 1AP every time they act.

FFX-2 was also not so good. I like the costumes though :shrug:

The only "rubberbanding an analog stick trick" I ever used was in Quest 64. If anyone has ever beaten that game legit, they have the patience of a saint. When you get into a battle, you get placed into a hexagonal area, which has it's size determined by your agility. Agility is raised by running around. So you find a safe wide open area, like the first village you start in, and set your guy running in a constant circle. Leave the game for a couple hours, and your battle movement area will be the size of the whole battle arena. This makes some fights quite easy as you can always put the max distance between you and the enemies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Quest is such a joke of a game that I tried so hard to love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Quest is such a joke of a game that I tried so hard to love.

The Japanese version tries its hardest to make it into an actual game. Stat bonuses accumulate within a normal human lifespan, bosses give MP max bonuses so you can actually cast spells, and they even added an ending!

• Locked thread