Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parachute
May 18, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's why he shaved his head, sharpied on his face and he was wearing Amber's bomber jacket--to confuse the nazis into thinking he was one of them.

He was definitely echoing his buddy's style in the paintball story by showing that they are going to make the move from victims by just going balls-out and unleashing on their tormentors who have repeatedly gotten the better of them. Warpaint, shaving head, screaming, it was all about psyching himself up for the final round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Parachute posted:

He was definitely echoing his buddy's style in the paintball story by showing that they are going to make the move from victims by just going balls-out and unleashing on their tormentors who have repeatedly gotten the better of them. Warpaint, shaving head, screaming, it was all about psyching himself up for the final round.

It's quite the gamble that it would be off-putting enough to stop them shooting him as soon as they enter, to be fair.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

It's quite the gamble that it would be off-putting enough to stop them shooting him as soon as they enter, to be fair.

Yeah, I just realized now he was supposed to look like a neo-nazi to throw them off. Even then, this was the one moment that felt Hollywood-ized, in that I felt like it bent realism a bit for a cool moment.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

either way it's all worth it because "ODIN HIMSELF!" is the funniest line in the movie

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tragically, Anton Yelchin has just died at 27.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

chitoryu12 posted:

This sucks. He's really good in this and it looked like his career was starting to blossom.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dammit. Saw that there were new posts in here and got excited for more movie chat. That sucks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Odin didn't appreciate the blasphemy. :(

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Really sad, I liked him a lot and I was hoping he'd have a bright future.

It's pretty horrifying too. Apparently he got out of his car to go to his brick pillar mailbox, and his car rolled down his inclined driveway and pinned him. :gonk:

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
gently caress 2016. Seriously one of the most interesting young actors gone at that cursed age of 27. Check out Only Lovers Left Alive if you haven't yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HP Hovercraft posted:

gently caress 2016. Seriously one of the most interesting young actors gone at that cursed age of 27. Check out Only Lovers Left Alive if you haven't yet.

This has seriously been an awful year for celebrity deaths and we're only halfway through. Alan Rickman, David Bowie, Prince, Anton Yelchin....all before their time. If Robin Williams had died in 2016, this would officially be the worst year of the 2010s.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
such a sweet movie too :smith:

I can't even tell you why it's stuck with me. It's not a revolutionary horror thriller by any means but it's so well put together. I've tried telling my punk fanboy friend about it and it's like

"oh it's good?"

"yeah. it's good"

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Alan Smithee posted:

such a sweet movie too :smith:

I can't even tell you why it's stuck with me. It's not a revolutionary horror thriller by any means but it's so well put together.

I'm in the same boat; Green Room doesn't do anything super new, but what it does, it does just so loving well and I keep thinking about it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone know what the hairstyle the two neonazi girls had? The short on top but with really long side burns?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

it's called a Chelsea and holy poo poo is it hard to pull off.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Watched this because I loved Blue Ruin, and I was pretty happy with doing so.

I really, really like how they just film everything the same way. Someone gets their gut sliced open with a box cutter? No dramatic camera angles or music, no drawing it out; it's just a thing that just happens. It's really interesting how nothing in the film is glorified, I love how that happened and I'd love to see it more.

Violator
May 15, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I saw the movie again last night and specifically paid attention to lines like that to better understand what was going on.

Daniel and Emily were both planning on quitting the Neo-Nazi group with evidence in his trunk linking Darcy and his men to murders committed the past Easter. "Fleischwolf" was the Cowcatcher song that was supposed to be her cue to bail, but she made the mistake of blabbing to someone about her plan to leave and Werm stabbed her in the head while the Ain't Rights were still playing "Toxic Evolution". Amber tells Daniel that Emily "didn't say it was with you", meaning she didn't tell the rest of the group that Daniel was also leaving with her. This kept Darcy and Gabe from cluing in that Daniel was a traitor until the young skinhead (I think his name was Joshua) came back and told them that Daniel just started talking to their targets instead of killing them.

At the beginning of the chaos, Darcy and Gabe find Daniel sitting in his car with the engine running as Cowcatcher plays. He was waiting for Emily to run out and jump in the car, not knowing she had been dead for a while, and tries to cover it when Darcy appears by explaining that he was checking the engine knocking. When he gets sent to gather the Red Laces he tries calling her phone, which has already been taken with the rest of her personal effects and put in a bag in the management trailer. This is the bag that Darcy puts in a safe or cabinet when giving Gabe his red laces.

The reason Gabe got his red laces for everything was because Darcy realized that he (accidentally) made the right decision for the group. Initially he was incredibly pissed that Gabe tried to hold the band at gunpoint and lock them in the room with the body instead of just letting Werm take the fall and go to prison; if he had let the band go and given up Werm to the cops to make it all look legit, the band would have been on their merry way back to Arlington and the heroin operation under the floor would be safe. Instead, he held the band hostage and gave them motivation to go to the cops and bring down the hammer on the club, so they had no choice but to kill all the witnesses and cover it up as trespassers being killed by dogs.

However, Gabe inadvertently saved them (at least for a little while before they all get shot). Had they made what looked like the right decision and given Werm up, Daniel would have been motivated to go to the police with the baseball bat in his trunk in revenge for Emily's murder. Gabe accidentally set in motion the events that led to Daniel's treason being discovered and killing him before he could betray them, and so Gabe earns his red laces.

This is a terrific write up, thanks for doing it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This one is gonna be really tough to rewatch.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

It might be worth mentioning that you can now rent/buy this digitally (physical release is still a week or two away)

Violator
May 15, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, when it started I was like, "Hey, isn't that... oh, it is..." :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah. gently caress.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Finally listened to The Q & A Podcast episode with Jeremy Saulnier and he was talking about how good Anton had been to work with and there's a real feeling a warmth to what he's saying. loving sad, man.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Green Room: White People Problems

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I like to imagine that Roadies is a direct sequel to Green Room where Imogen's character has changed her name and left her roots behind to pursue her love of music

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I like to imagine that Roadies is a direct sequel to Green Room where Imogen's character has changed her name and left her roots behind to pursue her love of music

Roadies looked alright in the trailer, is it any good?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Roadies looked alright in the trailer, is it any good?

Alright is a good word, it's not particularly powerful or anything, but I like the whole behind the scenes aspect of it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was into Roadies up until Imogen's self-indulgent "I exist only to tear down your ideals!" film school naïveté, but the whole point is that she is that stereotype, right down to falling into her own "running back to what she loves" cliche.

It was fun, but that was a bit too on the nose.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This movie is really good but man I wish I hadn't seen so many people describe Patrick Stewart's performance as completely terrifying or whatever. It really gives you a false impression of what he's like in the movie, where he doesn't really do anything and at best gives off an effectively menacing vibe.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I didn't feel like he was particularly terrifying (in the dark OR the light) but I thought he was extremely convincing. If I was a frightened teenager with a lot to prove and a shitload of misdirected anger, Patrick Stewart could probably convince me that everything wrong was the fault of THOSE PEOPLE and get me to shave my head.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Darcy was perfectly scary if you put yourself in the shoes of the band. Having just witnessed a murder and been held hostage at gunpoint with no way to know whether you were about to be taken out back and shot in the head, you're currently locked in a room with a very big, angry Nazi whose gun you just stole and the boss is on the other side of the door telling you that the police have "come and gone" and refusing to let you out unless you put yourself in a vulnerable position. Patrick Stewart may not be Gary Oldman screaming "EVERYOOOOONNNNEEEEE", but he still has a very commanding presence even when he's just the voice on the other side of the door. If you're a skinhead on his side, he's your father and best friend who knows better than you do 24/7. If he's the enemy, he's very nearly able to convince you to follow his instructions even when they're a good way to get yourself bludgeoned with a bat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Patrick Stewart wasn't Captain of the Starship Enterprise for nothing. :v:

But yeah, even when he was telling the kids stuff they knew was probably a trick they couldn't help but follow along because he was that commanding, something that Pat found out the hard way with that machete.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And it really is incredible how convincing Stewart is when he's trying to seem like a decent guy to the band. Even as an audience member who's fully aware that he's lying, he sounds exactly like an honest person would. In-universe, Darcy is a guy who can lie right to the face of a person he's about to shoot and seem completely believable when he says he's not trying to hurt you....up until he does. It's a sort of extreme level of immorality that only the worst kinds of killers can achieve.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It confuses me why Pat sticks his whole arm out to give Darcy the gun instead of just tossing it or sliding it out on the floor. It seems like a plot contrivance to do a gore effect.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
The best thing about this movie for me, besides everything about this movie, was the quick and brutalness of the violence. Characters die and the movie just keeps going, doesn't even linger for a second because that's exactly how death happens. One second you're here, and the next your gone, and the world keeps spinning and the sun keeps rising without skipping a beat.

It was like being punched so fast that you don't even register how fast the punches are coming or how many hits you're taking. It's only through reflecting back on the movie and playing those scenes through your head that you're finally able to catch up and actually process what happened.

It's just a really loving great movie that I'm still digesting.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

It confuses me why Pat sticks his whole arm out to give Darcy the gun instead of just tossing it or sliding it out on the floor. It seems like a plot contrivance to do a gore effect.

He doesn't. The gun is grabbed by a red lacer and Pat refuses to let go, so his arm is pulled out the door and hacked up until he releases it.

angular guitar
Nov 9, 2005
What I like about this film, and Blue Ruin, is people being unfamiliar with firearms:

The non-technical line about "this gun has five cartridges cus they're big as gently caress and only five fit inside it", plus the two girls and Pat all missing their shots with the shotgun. I think Imogen Poots' character actually jokes about Pat not being able to shoot it.

In Blue Ruin it's established that Macon sucks and can't hit anything. His army friend takes the piss out of him for it too, and there's another line near the end - "I don't know much about guns but I'm pretty sure I've got more bullets than you."

It's a great way to build the tension, knowing that a gun in the hands of the protagonist is not a guaranteed win, and is about as likely to escalate the danger as to help.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

chalk posted:

What I like about this film, and Blue Ruin, is people being unfamiliar with firearms:

It's a great way to build the tension, knowing that a gun in the hands of the protagonist is not a guaranteed win, and is about as likely to escalate the danger as to help.

What I really like about both films is that the people in it are realistically awkward. When poo poo gets real in life nobody becomes an instant action hero, and revenge is never clean. Their best laid plans go to poo poo immediately because nobody acts the way you think they will.

Dick Valentine posted:

He doesn't. The gun is grabbed by a red lacer and Pat refuses to let go, so his arm is pulled out the door and hacked up until he releases it.
He puts it out enough that they can grab it though, is what I'm saying. Tossing or kicking it out is a much smarter idea. Though I guess that goes along with my above point of everyone being realistically awkward.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Darcy says something about the gun being a memento after Pat says he is going to throw it. The door is open only barely and his hand is the only thing out the door not his entire arm. You can see him pause in confusion/shock when Amber shouts "They're killing us!". Which is just enough for a red lacer to grab his wrist before he pulls it in. As you say, realistically awkward.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah he's not thinking tactically and 'handing the gun to Darcy instead of throwing it at him' is not remotely the dumb decision in that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah he's not thinking tactically and 'handing the gun to Darcy instead of throwing it at him' is not remotely the dumb decision in that scene

I think it really gives a lot of weight to Stewart's portrayal of Darcy. He's a very subtle, manipulative character that manages to ease the band into making some "dumb" decisions as well as pushing his gang into brutal acts of violence.

• Locked thread