Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I just bought this last night and strangely had no issues with pop-in the first time I loaded it up. It ran like a dream on the recommended settings. Now it happens no matter what and I'm constantly met with empty space in the terrain until I'm nearly touching it.

Game is still good though. I can pretend Sealab 2021 was about me. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hate Fresh Shesh Besh and his mailbox head.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I just bought this last night and strangely had no issues with pop-in the first time I loaded it up. It ran like a dream on the recommended settings. Now it happens no matter what and I'm constantly met with empty space in the terrain until I'm nearly touching it.

Game is still good though. I can pretend Sealab 2021 was about me. :3:

Say hello to Queen Dopplepopolis for us! (Thunk)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Those jerks in pod 6.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
It would be nice to have a gamemode halfway between survival and creative where you don't have to worry about hunger or water or oxygen but you still have to gather resources and everything.

Call it.. Discovery

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ambaire posted:

It would be nice to have a gamemode halfway between survival and creative where you don't have to worry about hunger or water or oxygen but you still have to gather resources and everything.

Call it.. Discovery

It's called Freedom but still has oxygen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paracelsus posted:

Stalkers will break their teeth on the Seamoth, without damaging it. Bother some for a bit and you should be able to get some teeth.

This is how I used to get teeth in the past, but I've been playing a bit yesterday, was doing this for 20 minutes with 0 teeth drops, and getting a grand total of 2 teeth since I started playing the save.

After that I just spawned them in with console commands. I hope this gets fixed.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I recently built the Cyclops and I really gotta say, it's a lot harder to drive than the Seamoth...

Now you know why people need special licenses to operate heavy machinery.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Truga posted:

This is how I used to get teeth in the past, but I've been playing a bit yesterday, was doing this for 20 minutes with 0 teeth drops, and getting a grand total of 2 teeth since I started playing the save.

After that I just spawned them in with console commands. I hope this gets fixed.

Just bring them metal salvage, when they grab it and swim back to their nest with it they should start dropping teeth.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ambaire posted:

Call it.. Discovery

Just console in this stuff. You can even make yourself invisible to the fish so you can just sightsee without worrying about being eaten by a Reaper Leviathan or whatever.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Console

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Subnautica: Pop-in leviathan, poopin' your wetsuit

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I went into this completely blind. All I knew about it was swimming was involved. So I was thinking to myself "man I've got to start swimming around and finding cool poo poo, I bet they put a lot of neat stuff near the big wreck of your ship" so I put on my radiation suit and just started swimming (I didn't know vehicles were even an option yet). Suddenly the water got really, really deep and dark and I learned that my idea was bad because of reasons. Very big reasons.

Anyway fast forward to today and I'm getting by much better now, but the predators have stopped making sounds. Has anyone experienced this? The only exceptions are the bone sharks who now sound distant no matter how close they are.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hit F8 in game to document it for the devs. It's an early access game after all.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I really like Jellyrays because they're the coolest-looking thing that doesn't want to murder you (this base isn't actually very deep, I bred all of those and released them outside)

Also, this happened:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It is cool as hell that 2 rooms with an aquarium in each one automatically extends the aquarium up

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a light switch for bases yet? I love that I can turn off the lights in the cyclops, makes subbing about much more atmospheric.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Digirat posted:

It is cool as hell that 2 rooms with an aquarium in each one automatically extends the aquarium up
For my bases close to the surface I like to extend the aquarium up past the surface so the fish can know the world beyond theirs :3:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Does extending the aquariums and alien containment actually do anything other than make them look bigger? Looks cool, but so far the only use I can find for actually doing is so creepvines can grow since they need 2 floors. I can't actually put more stuff in once I put a second floor in though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Does extending the aquariums and alien containment actually do anything other than make them look bigger? Looks cool, but so far the only use I can find for actually doing is so creepvines can grow since they need 2 floors. I can't actually put more stuff in once I put a second floor in though.

Supposedly each level boosts the total amount of fish sustainable in a tank by 10, but in my 3-high I currently have something like 60 Spadefish swimming madly in some organic tornado.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Fish capacity does increase, and I like using them in lieu of ladders.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Supposedly each level boosts the total amount of fish sustainable in a tank by 10, but in my 3-high I currently have something like 60 Spadefish swimming madly in some organic tornado.

I'm pretty sure tank capacity is actually infinite for holding fish (well it probably bugs out at some point) but fish will only breed within the 10 per tank limit.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel posted:

I'm pretty sure tank capacity is actually infinite for holding fish (well it probably bugs out at some point) but fish will only breed within the 10 per tank limit.

I started with two :shrug:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I started with two :shrug:

Wish I had your luck when it comes to the fishtanks, compared to my worries loading my save file will cause more wacky shenanigans in mine :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I know everyone hates the reapers but my personal bane of existence are the stupid Crash explosions. gently caress those PITAs.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I went into this completely blind. All I knew about it was swimming was involved. So I was thinking to myself "man I've got to start swimming around and finding cool poo poo, I bet they put a lot of neat stuff near the big wreck of your ship" so I put on my radiation suit and just started swimming (I didn't know vehicles were even an option yet). Suddenly the water got really, really deep and dark and I learned that my idea was bad because of reasons. Very big reasons.

Anyway fast forward to today and I'm getting by much better now, but the predators have stopped making sounds. Has anyone experienced this? The only exceptions are the bone sharks who now sound distant no matter how close they are.

Did you make the scanner room? Apparently it's a known bug that when you make a scanner room on your base it stops all hostile creature sounds, but apparently they come back if you remove the room. I would suggest reporting the bug anyways maybe if enough people prod them it'll jump in priority.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

double nine posted:

So I know everyone hates the reapers but my personal bane of existence are the stupid Crash explosions. gently caress those PITAs.

Stasis rifle works wonders here. Also the seaglide can outrun them.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Or just strafe sideways. They'll explode harmlessly somewhere when you do that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TBH I'm mostly talking about the early game - let's hunt some quartz/silver in caves - triggers 3 crash torpedoes.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Dox023 posted:

Did you make the scanner room? Apparently it's a known bug that when you make a scanner room on your base it stops all hostile creature sounds, but apparently they come back if you remove the room. I would suggest reporting the bug anyways maybe if enough people prod them it'll jump in priority.

Yup, this was exactly the problem. Sent feedback and deconstructed the scanner room. Luckily it's not a terribly important building to have.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Crash explosions also modify the terrain which is annoying.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Well I just realized I must be doing something right because my main concern for the last 20 minutes or so has been that I don't like the view where my base is and that I need to look for a new location.

Hauling all my storage will be a pain in the dick though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Hauling all my storage will be a pain in the dick though.

put a ton of lockers around cyclops walls. The thing can carry a shitload of crap if you just cram wall lockers in as tightly as possible, and still stays very spaceous.

Then, park it next to your base storage and get cranking, and never unload it. Do build a base in a nicer locale, not because you need it, but because you can :v:

Also, powercell charger on the cyclops is pretty hilarious. It charges a nearly empty powercell with like 10 power drained, if that. Talk about perpetual electricity.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
On a related note, recommended locations for a base(biome-wise, not specific places?) I'm mid-game, I think; I don't have the cyclops yet.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Viperix posted:

On a related note, recommended locations for a base(biome-wise, not specific places?) I'm mid-game, I think; I don't have the cyclops yet.

Safe shallows on one of the locations close to the surface allow you to build a surface dock with a landmark you can see from anywhere on the Map, plus it's safe, so I recommend that.

If you're feeling ambitious, I recommend putting it right behind the aurora engines, mainly for the thrill of looking out the window and seeing a Reaper putzing around.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I built my main base in the kelp forest, it's a great view. I also built an outpost in the floating isles, the sea treaders path and one in the purple mushroom caves. I took my cyclops into the inactive lava zone but looking at the wiki it appears I've exhausted the content so far.

I really hope they add more story content and dumb things to do (like populating biomes with fish for a reward, transplanting biomes, etc.) and flesh out the survival aspect of the game. I'll pick it up again in a year but the progress so far since release when I first played it has been great, bases are quite robust and enjoyable to build.

The big floating surface island is basically cheat mode though. I hope the DNA tool stuff is the future and it lets you build your own crops rather than just get infinite stuff by planting a tree.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Not a fan of the grand reef biome, I've decided. Too dark and grotty looking and has all those jellycrab freaky fuckers.

I was thinking of building another station but I like my safe shallows overlooking a kelp forest too much.

What happens if you deconstruct something that contains other stuff, like a module or a locker? Tries to fit into your inventory or just disappears?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think the game has a dependency tree or something for that because it wouldn't let me unbuild a foundation that was touching a room

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

priznat posted:

What happens if you deconstruct something that contains other stuff, like a module or a locker? Tries to fit into your inventory or just disappears?

In the case of lockers, everything inside is deleted. It makes a good way of getting rid of excess items.

I was a bit bummed out to find rotten fish and random crap I put outside didn't go away ever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game could really use an easy way to delete items yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Did you build a scanner room? Supposedly those can break sounds right now.
Edit: I should have finished reading the page before posting, ignore me.

Lord Zedd fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 4, 2016