Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

I believe their original plan was for the Ferengi to be the modern-day version of the Klingons as recurring antagonists, but it just didn't all gel well for whatever of a thousand reasons, so they didn't do that. I do think that the Ferengi are (accidentally) the most nuanced alien race Trek ever presents, though.

I always kind of wonder how TNG would have turned out if The Battle had aired before The Last Outpost - it's both a much stronger episode and the only time the Ferengi work as a threat. I wonder if the writers would have brought back the Romulans so quickly if they still thought the Ferengi were viable as a recurring enemy, rather than them being completely laughable in their debut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It'd need more pre-planning than airdates, since The Last Outpost says that's the Federation's first visual contact with them.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Pararoid posted:

As much as people tell me there are good shows being made at the moment, I seem just to watch Star Trek and Stargate on loop. In general I each episode seems relatively fresh to me when I come back around to it every few years. I can't be the only one.

Nothing wrong with that :unsmith:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

NSFW https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzXlvwgDCgo

Dang, wanted this on the first page. NSFW lyrics!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

NSFW https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzXlvwgDCgo

Dang, wanted this on the first page. NSFW lyrics!

When I was a kid I had this memorized. This and Fett's Vette by MC Chris.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Someone please put in the OP that Trek newbies starting out with TOS should not start with The Cage, or at least go in understanding that the first pilot was not actually aired in its entirety.

Anyway, here's a little grab-bag of goodies from the previous thread:

Get it? GET IT?! PUSSYFOOTING??!?! :shepicide:

On why the old Trek comic book art could be hosed up sometimes:

Binary Badger posted:

Actually part of the blame is alcoholism. Tom Sutton pencilled nearly the entire run of DC's Star Trek (the 1984-1988 Volume 1), which had only reverted to DC because Marvel* had somehow hosed up their TMP based series in Paramount's eyes. Tom was normally a horror comic artist, but looked forward to the chance to branch into sci-fi.

But as time went on, he began to literally resent doing Star Trek even though it was his bread and butter (for 50+ issues.) In an interview with Gary Groth of the Comics Journal, he cited two reasons: one, he began developing a drinking habit during drawing the series. The bar was only a block away from his studio.

Two, he prided himself on being a complete artist, he often preferred to ink his own art, but due to the pressures of delivering a monthly comic, they gave the inking duties to a fellow called Ricardo Villagran. In the TCJ interview, he refused to even name him, because Tom would often go all out and throw in lavish background details that he painstakingly added for realism, only to see in the finished art that Ricardo had literally erased or blotted out his details. DC liked Ricardo because he worked fast and could ink multiple books simultaneously, and didn't care what got blotted out so long as it was handed in on time. Tom said that his DC contacts told him that Ricardo was 'so good that' he literally inked his work while watching TV in bed.

Tom (who unfortunately passed away in 2002) went to the trouble of obtaining a Constitution refit model, photographed it from almost every possible angle, and cited that as the only reason for him being able to draw the Enterprise at all. Although he didn't mention getting an Excelsior model, it may have been him just deciding to phone it in by the time the Excelsior was being written into the story. I believe early issues will bear this out if you ever thumb through any of the reprints they did of Vol. 1.

* From what I recall of the Marvel series, they literally pulled new alien races out of their asses and concentrated on TMP-like stories and hardly ever showed Klingons or Romulans, one issue ends literally with Kirk, Spock and McCoy going up in an elevator spewing some dumb platitudes while some alien that's supposedly achieving its form of nirvana just gives them the evil eye. It's like Paramount only licensed them the ship's crew, technology, and the Feds and nothing else.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still love this bit that MikeJF posted in the GBS trek thread:

MikeJF posted:

"Needs a little pizzaz" "IGGY POP" "okay I'm in"

Also Rick Berman wasn't really involved in DS9, he just signed off on the scripts after glancing at them. Ira Steven Behr was the DS9 showrunner.

Behr was great. They asked him in to ask him about Enterprise as it was getting off the ground, see if maybe they could lure him on.

Behr's memory: "Rick called me up, it was his initiative. He asked me had I seen Enterprise, I told him no. He asked if I could look at it - they were thinking maybe of stepping back and that "this be another DS9 experience," whatever that meant. I didn't really think it over in terms of what were the chances of that reality happening again. They sent me the three shows, I went in, had a two hour meeting with Rick and Brannon. It was a very cordial meeting, but everything I said I am sure they did not like hearing. I would not liked to have heard it if someone came into my office and talked as bluntly as I was talking to them. Though again, it was done all cordially. After it was over I am sure they were uncomfortable, I was very uncomfortable, we shook hands, Rick said, "well, all interesting stuff, we'll think it over," and I never heard from him again."

Braga's memory: "I needed help. We brought in Ira. And he poo poo all over the show. I mean, he poo poo on the show like I have never heard. All the crabby internet stuff balled into one nuclear weapon. He hated the show, hated the characters, hated the concept, just thought it was a piece of poo poo. It was one hell of a job interview. I don’t even know why he came, to be honest."

:allears:

and I still think that's just perfect symmetry because when DS9 was in pre-production, Braga would poo poo all over it in the writers' room. "A space station? Oh, so you're just gonna sit around and let the adventures come to you? *scoff*"

Sash! posted:

"Fight does not go well, Enterprise. We're attempting to withdraw and regroup. Rendevouz at...."

*guy wearing the box from a dryer pushes down a bunch of guys in t-shirts that say STARSHIP on them*

Timby posted:

So all this talk about the goofy-rear end Star Trek Online ships and how ugly they are reminded me of a quick and dirty Photoshop I made of the JJprise. I generally like the design (I'm a huge fan of the giant gently caress-off nacelles), but I maintain the ship would look about a hundred times better if the "neck" were moved forward. Thoughts?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Computer, load Ore no Counselor ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai.

"Ohayou, Lejji-kun."
I think Rick Sternbach just popped a boner somewhere

Star Trek 3's wicked jacket game:

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 21, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

http://www.pstewsings.com/ doesn't deserve to be left on page 998 of the last thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576140&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=998#post461624548 original post

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Doctor posted:

I wasn't aware they'd said anything about that yet..? :confused:
After reading like fifteen articles which didn't say much beyond "It's gonna be on All-Access!!!! BUY ALL ACCESS GUYS!!!" I just went with the wiki summary. I'll update it with proper info if any proper info exists :v:

e: put the note about The Cage in the OP. Regarding the Ferengi I do half-think that the idea in universe, if not said as much, is that the Vulcans "uplifted" humanity a little -- not a lot, but a significant cultural imprint -- and while it came late enough in the game to not fundamentally change what we would see as "human culture," it did grind the edges off our various forms of stupid bullshit.

This does raise some complex ethical questions, however.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

this didn't get enough love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK9dlmYvB-Y

e: ^ that's the pstew sings directly

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 3, 2016

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Call the number. Worth it.

A 2 year or so hiatus from the last thread kept me off the loser list. I remember being in the running the first year though.

I'm on summer break right now, time to spend a day getting drunk and watching the animated series. The only series I haven't seen.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Glory to this new thread.

:eyepop:

And its hoooooooooooooouse!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Are we in a temporal whatsis? I have the strangest feeling that I've seen the above thread title for an earlier Star Trek thread...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's been used before, which is why I was hoping for something better.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*breathes in that new thread smell*

Mmmmm MMMM!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The old thread is dying, and I think it deserves to die.

How many times have you been asked to cover up the crimes of forum mods, and told it was for the good of the website? You are the bravest, most honorable posters I know, and if you're willing the accept corruption at the highest levels, what hope is there for Something Awful?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If you're new to Star Trucks, you should probably take a gander at this, as it's one of the best scenes from any of the TV shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gonz posted:

If you're new to Star Trucks, you should probably take a gander at this, as it's one of the best scenes from any of the TV shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

That is the best scene of Star Trucks.

Still not enough to get me to drink root beer, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

That is the best scene of Star Trucks.

Still not enough to get me to drink root beer, though.

Clearly you've just not drunk enough.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

How many times have you been asked to cover up the crimes of forum mods, and told it was for the good of the website? You are the bravest, most honorable posters I know, and if you're willing the accept corruption at the highest levels, what hope is there for Something Awful?

if I recall correctly there was a coverup of aatrek's crimes by mods, probating people for mentioning it

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Clearly you've just not drunk enough.

Someone post Drinking Kanar with Damar, stat!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Star Trek: TOS Cast Deathwatch Thread

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WarLocke posted:

Someone post Drinking Kanar with Damar, stat!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's been used before, which is why I was hoping for something better.
I believe it was widely discussed but never actually implemented because Hyperriker joined the Maquis or some poo poo and hasn't posted in three months.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm really looking forward to the new series, guys. Just so long as Mads Mikkelsen is in it. Which he is.

He is.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I wonder what kind of aesthetic they're going to go for. A lot of the more recent Trek aesthetic stuff (Enterprise sets, most of the non-ship JJTrek sets, etc) I really like, I just want the writing and ... seriousness? gravitas? of old-style Trek.

I'm not even really averse the the pulse phasers of JJTrek, honestly. And all the shots of Starfleet Command and such were pretty as hell. But those movies totally flailed around with a big dumb tentpole action movie thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some thoughts

Sisko fights like Kirk in DS9 season 1.

Gates McFadden is friggin gorgeous in First Contact.

Nana Visitor is the best part of DS9 season 1.

JJ Enterprise isn't really that bad, eagerly looking forward to the JJ Ent-A though.

Proper warp nacelles are placed above the saucer section.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When did someone say the new series was going to be in the JJTrek timeline? I thought it was going to be the original one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For a warrior race the Andorians sure have poncy hair.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm really looking forward to the new series, guys. Just so long as Mads Mikkelsen is in it. Which he is.

He is.

Sadly, I believe Mads has said he wouldn't be interested in doing television again since nothing could touch his experience on Hannibal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arglebargle III posted:

For a warrior race the Andorians sure have poncy hair.

The other warrior race is probably best known for a dude with beautiful, sheen-ful Donna Reed hair.

e: and getting his rear end beat by every monster of the week, and also a shipping container

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

When did someone say the new series was going to be in the JJTrek timeline? I thought it was going to be the original one.
Do one of the Trek nerd websites have a list of What Is Known and What Is Not laying about, because my efforts to find one failed :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

CaveGrinch posted:

Sadly, I believe Mads has said he wouldn't be interested in doing television again since nothing could touch his experience on Hannibal.

I guess I need to have a son, so he can ritually kill me :negative:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Don't fret. Mads is going to be in Star Wars this winter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nessus posted:

Do one of the Trek nerd websites have a list of What Is Known and What Is Not laying about, because my efforts to find one failed :(
I think Fuller shot down the idea that the show takes place between TUC and TNG a week or two ago. Other than that it's been pretty sparse as far as information.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Fuller shot down the idea that the show takes place between TUC and TNG a week or two ago. Other than that it's been pretty sparse as far as information.

Pretty much. All that's known is that it's showing on CBS All Access and aims to try to capture the fun of early Trek.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Arglebargle III posted:

What is this? Some sort of primitive social network?

In the 24th century, we have evolved beyond the need for social networks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

V-Men posted:

In the 24th century, we have evolved beyond the need for social networks.

That doesn't explain the nation known as Facebook that rose up from the ashes of the land we once knew as Canada.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope the new Star Trek is Good. Both the movie and the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BREAKING NEWS

the new Trek series will be about the comet seen in the opening credits of Deep Space Nine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

BREAKING NEWS

the new Trek series will be about the comet seen in the opening credits of Deep Space Nine.

If this was Star Wars that comet would already have a six book series with a critically acclaimed video game tie in.