Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
it is one of my favorite movies :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Jesus Christ posted:

Oh man, thanks for reminding me to watch it again that it's about that time of the year to watch it again. loving owns.

[edit] Children of Men and City of God are the only two movies I watch year after year and never get old.

I went to buy Children of Men once and I wasn't paying attention and bought "City of Men" instead (lol i just like men apparently) and didn't realize it until i was watching it an everyone was speaking Portuguese.

Both movies are very good and with the Olympics coming up City of Men or City of God would be great films to get you into the "everything is terrible here in the favela" mindset.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
good movie

my dad is basically the hippy, including secluded gravel drive to remote compound and i've been trying to talk him into adding the fake plant gate but i guess he still likes getting mail or pizza or whatever

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This movie was ok but it is no Mike Tyson Murder Mysteries, rated 4 Pigeons out of 11.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It's all coming true. We'll all be dying of zika and xenophobia soon. But at least we will have hottie Clive Owen to save the day.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the real tragedy of CoM is after the credits, when they fail to replicate any further successful fertilization and mother and child live short horrible lives in a rich seasteaders wackyscience horrorshowboat

the luckiest we can ever hope to be is to snuff it before we realize we didn't do any good

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

same but also with the early morning farm escape.

Sons Of Anarchy should have ended with Charlie Humnan getting door checked by Clive Owen in a passing car.

Out of Band II posted:

Both movies are very good and with the Olympics coming up City of Men or City of God would be great films to get you into the "everything is terrible here in the favela" mindset.

What's also good for that is Elite Squad movies. Jose Padilha got some poo poo about the film endorsing supposedly fascism and police brutality, because you see one guy lose his idealism and become a brutal police thug who almost about to sodomize a boy with a broomstick and blows off a crippled perp's face off with a shotgun, but the second film where they take Captain Nasciemento's character further and make him question the system he's apart of and they even make the liberal politician who married his ex-wife, who you think he's going to poo poo on Nasciemento threw out the film, actually a good guy that both he and Nasciemento help each other redeems everything.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

True but lol if you haven't been stood up. Builds character, thickens your shell

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

I'm sorry Toadvine, it was me who stood you up. I didn't think you'd be so damaged by it that you would start posting on the SomethingAwful.com LLC forums.

The baby crying and stopping the fighting before the longshot walk out is goddamn art.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
How is Babby Formed: The Motion Picture

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Volume posted:

Not kill the baby but yes kill the girl who gave birth. Dat baby was going to be used as a propaganda piece to lift up mother England to her rightful place in this nearly post apocalyptic world. Book is great also if you can stand flowery prose.

This, but the book does the fishes and the government better. The goverment in the book is out and out authoritarian with interesting twists instead just lovely and slowly collapsing semi authoriterian like the movie. The fishes in the movie are bunch stupid knobend leftists who sorta mean well but are too loving stupid to think a head, "yeah lets kill the only smart leader we had" "woops lets kidnap the kid in the middle of warzone and execute them, Oh gently caress we are trapped in a heavily shelled building with no way out, because our ideological purity and stupidity hosed us all" Yeah the Government is awful and lovely in the movie. but ill take them over of a bunch of dumb gently caress former activist rebels.

Plus they execute Michael Caine for no loving reason.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tectonis posted:

The baby crying and stopping the fighting before the longshot walk out is goddamn art.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I remember the second half of that movie feeling like the introduction to Half-Life 2 City 17: The Movie

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
The long shots in that movie are incredible. The car chase is excellent and even though I think they snuck a cut in there the final battle scene is engrossing: it's like 15 minutes of one shot

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Out of Band II posted:

I went to buy Children of Men once and I wasn't paying attention and bought "City of Men" instead (lol i just like men apparently) and didn't realize it until i was watching it an everyone was speaking Portuguese.

City of Men sounds like a spiritual sequel to City of God.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

City of Men sounds like a spiritual sequel to City of God.

I think it's the film version of a show that was a spin-off of City of God so that's pretty on the money. If you like one I'd recommend the other.

thanks for the recommendation, i'll check it out

incoherent light fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 4, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Guineapig posted:

I liked it, too, the only thing I didn't understand is why there were wars killing lots of army guys. If you have an army of say, 100,000 guys and you do a battle where 1% are killed, in a world where there's no young recruits your army will only be 99% of its size before.

Every time a guy gets killed the army will be that much smaller and troop strength can't get any bigger or even stay the same. I didn't understand the alacrity with which the guys came forward/were sent to get killed.

Other than that it was thought-provoking and well done, and I appreciate the reminder that it's about time to watch it again.

the thing is once you no longer have children and an entire generation of young men in a nihilistic tail-spin it'd be pretty loving hard to keep control over civil society

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tectonis posted:

yeah with it being ended by a fish thinking 'oh boy perfect opportunity to take a pot-shot' and everyone immediately forgetting they just saw a baby with their own eyes was really sobering

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's the best use of ruby tuesday ever

awesome movie and thank you for reminding me of it, op

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
how about the movie training day though? that's the best movie some people would say

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
thats a good movie too but also depressing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Necc0 posted:

yeah with it being ended by a fish thinking 'oh boy perfect opportunity to take a pot-shot' and everyone immediately forgetting they just saw a baby with their own eyes was really sobering

Yeah, gently caress the fishs, glad they all probaly die.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i assumed that airstrike you see at the very end was meant for them

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Bishop posted:

The long shots in that movie are incredible. The car chase is excellent and even though I think they snuck a cut in there the final battle scene is engrossing: it's like 15 minutes of one shot
Ya I've heard it's at least 3 different shots with clever CGI-assisted cuts. Looks amazing though

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

gotta shoutout to the police footage from different angles of the same chase from different points of view with very convincing overlays, just really solid production value

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I watched this movie once several years ago. I recall it hitting the end credits and I was like, "Welp. Probably should just go kill myself."

One thing that I keep going back to is the whole premise of the movie: what if it's all a lie? What if the whole world HASN'T gone to poo poo, but only Britain/that corner of Europe, and the government is making all that up?

I'm not sure if that is what I'm SUPPOSED to take away from it, or what. I suppose I could rewatch it but man, it was heavy enough the first time.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The movie had me dislike the camera after falling alseep and dreaming it.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
It's one of those movies that's essentially a director's cut which is why it's more of a sleeper hit than a mainstream success, because the mainstream cant loving pay attention without cgi robots or whatever

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sintax posted:

It's one of those movies that's essentially a director's cut which is why it's more of a sleeper hit than a mainstream success, because the mainstream cant loving pay attention without cgi robots or whatever

Also the love interest dies early on. The main character dies. And you don't see the end result of the Human Genome Project or whatever the gently caress it was called.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
this loving movie, i remember how hard goons were jerking off over it back in the day. never saw it

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.
Absolute favorite movie. Filled with references to The Waste Land. Cuaron said he wanted it to be the anti-blade runner, or something along those line. Feel kind of of obvious saying it, but it seems so prescient now. So glad it's still totally under the radar.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zarin posted:

I watched this movie once several years ago. I recall it hitting the end credits and I was like, "Welp. Probably should just go kill myself."

I think if the baby and/or Kee died or the movie ended without the Tomorrow showing up, I'd would probably feel the same way. While it's plenty ambiguous, it's a lot more hopeful than people are letting on. I'm guessing it's like a Rorschach test, depending on your mood and point of view you can read the ending as hopeful or downbeat.

Zarin posted:

One thing that I keep going back to is the whole premise of the movie: what if it's all a lie? What if the whole world HASN'T gone to poo poo, but only Britain/that corner of Europe, and the government is making all that up?

I'm not sure if that is what I'm SUPPOSED to take away from it, or what. I suppose I could rewatch it but man, it was heavy enough the first time.

That's kind of hard to pull off considering that Julianne Moore's character is an American and she and Owen talk about her parents getting killed in the New York explosion that's featured in that "Only Britain Soldiers On" advert. You get the impression she went to the U.S. after their child died and came back when everything went to poo poo in America. Also, his brother Danny Huston seems to be in a high position in the the government that he'd know those things, especially since it sounds like he witnessed the recovery of David personally.

The Protagonist posted:

gotta shoutout to the police footage from different angles of the same chase from different points of view with very convincing overlays, just really solid production value

If you haven't already, the Foreign Office, who did those overlay work, put out a reel of most of the advertisements. They also tell their own story, with the sterile England treating their pets as children by buying them fancy clothes, ads for plastic surgery to make people younger, organ markets, explicit commercials for sex drugs and prostitutes, anti-depressants and, of course, Quietus,etc. They tell a story of a society that is trying to ignore, bargain with and anesthetize itself from the prospect of coming extinction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VnIrXmdYhY (maybe :nws: for a bit)

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 4, 2016

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the youngest kid gets shot just for his youngest kid celebrity status, but you just know he must have been an insufferable douchebag too

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
The movie is probably my top 10 best films. One thing I didn't get was when Clive Owen's character goes to the super rich people land and the weird guy at the table with the cyborg implants who kept typing into his computer and not taking his vitamins? What was his deal.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dundun posted:

The movie is probably my top 10 best films. One thing I didn't get was when Clive Owen's character goes to the super rich people land and the weird guy at the table with the cyborg implants who kept typing into his computer and not taking his vitamins? What was his deal.

He's one of those last generation kids, supposedly Danny Huston's. He's got nothing to live for or strive to achieve, so of course he's going to play video games all day long.

Also, I don't think those were vitamins, I pretty sure they're some sort of euphoric or anti-depressant like what his father is taking.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

dundun posted:

How old are you / have any of your friends settled down and had kids yet?

That scene will make a shitload more sense when that happens.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Horniest Manticore posted:

this loving movie, i remember how hard goons were jerking off over it back in the day. never saw it

Great input

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Necc0 posted:

How old are you / have any of your friends settled down and had kids yet?

That scene will make a shitload more sense when that happens.

I just realized that kid would probably the same age as all those kids you see now playing mobile games on their parent's or own tablet or phone.

Also, I realized that movie turns 10 years old this year.

gently caress, I feel old.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
i clicked thinking it was Married With Children but then I realized I'm an stoned uncultred dick

have fun talking about men hanging out with childrens I'm totally reporting this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

dundun posted:

Ya scenes like this is why I say it's like a director's cut; I think it's just supposed to show the 1% (or 0.01%) essentially- and he is helping Clive Owen's character bend all the rules. Doesn't really need to be in the movie though because all the information from this scene is already implied, and the whole thing comes off as over-the-top. Pretty cool tho I guess

• Locked thread