Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That boss fight is my favorite in the whole series. You're just getting mobbed by a buncha fat popes as they ineffectually try to whack you with lovely little candlesticks and get bowled over because they're garbage at everything, to the sound of organ music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In DMC4 you fistfight the pope with your giant demon fist and then he uses the power of Jesus to summon a giant angel robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEvgjBQqKRc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Digirat posted:

That boss fight is my favorite in the whole series. You're just getting mobbed by a buncha fat popes as they ineffectually try to whack you with lovely little candlesticks and get bowled over because they're garbage at everything, to the sound of organ music

It is the best fight to bring a giant anime sword to because you just cleave through a million priests with every swing and it's so silly it becomes the best fight.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
On NG+, you can cast Wrath of the Gods (high level, high damage and miracle) and wipe out half the fuckers in one blow. The gods have forsaken thee!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm loving the short conversations you get between characters in Overwatch even you're waiting in spawn for the game to start. Every one is just a cute little glimpse into the relationships of the team.

Big German shield dude: "You kids and your techno music! You should be listening to the classics, like Hasselhoff!"
Brazilian DJ support dude: "I can't even take you seriously right now."

There's some for maps, too! I only started playing yesterday (I'm good at Symmetra and that's about it), but apparently both McCree the cyborg-cowboy and Reaper have separate history at Route 66.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Cleretic posted:

There's some for maps, too! I only started playing yesterday (I'm good at Symmetra and that's about it), but apparently both McCree the cyborg-cowboy and Reaper have separate history at Route 66.

Lucio has a bit where he'll go "Hey, Bastion, cheggitout: Beep boop bwop booo beep." And initially, I thought he was being an rear end in a top hat. But no, Bastion responds - Lucio apparently speaks whatever the gently caress combat Omnics use as vocal comms.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Nuebot posted:

He's the pontiff. Google tells me "pontiff" means "The Pope". So yes, you can punch the pope to death.

His name in the Japanese version is straight up "Pope Sullivan". So yeah, you can straight up punch the pulp to death (not particularly easy though, since punch weapons are kinda trash now :smith:)

One of Xenosaga 2's late bosses is straight up the Space Pope. He was renamed the Patriarch in the English localization but he was originally straight up the Pope and his faction is straight up evil Space Catholics.

Nohman has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Jul 4, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuebot posted:

It is the best fight to bring a giant anime sword to because you just cleave through a million priests with every swing and it's so silly it becomes the best fight.

Actually that fight is amazing to use the Sellsword Twinblades with combined with the healing Pontiff Eye ring.
Pontiff Eye ring heals you (in increasing amounts) if you chain enough attacks together. Hitting two enemies in one attack counts as two attacks.
Sellsword Twinblades special attack hits a silly amount of times.

Mashing the attack button in that fight while being in the thick of it makes you basically invincible for as long as you have stamina.

It's such an easy, filler boss fight but the uniqueness of it and how goofy it is makes it pretty fun. Kind of reminiscent of the even goofier Skeleton Lords from Dark Souls 2. Skeleton men on skeleton thrones, and when each one dies they summon four of a different type of skeleton.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It really is a shame about the lack of mission replay. I'm sitting here wanting to replay SR3 and 4 but utterly unable to decide which voice set to commit to for 50 hours. At least some kind of New Game +...

4's female voices change quite a bit from 3, going from Russian and Hispanic as the non-generic (but still good) options to French and a Southern belle.

The Southern voice is very entertaining if you like the idea of a hardened underworld gangster who calls people "honey" and "sugar" and "sweetie" all the time while fondly reminiscing about growing up on a farm and who lets Kinzie borrow her sweaters.

The voices/personalities in the final two Saint's Row games are great little touches in general. They're not just different accents but distinctive personalities. Britishboss has the accent and manners of a British thug and swears far more often than any other Boss persona. Frenchboss is significantly more reserved and polite, tending towards eye-rolling and sarcasm rather than furious anger or swearing. Southern belle Boss is a cheery, friendly girl who would say "Bless your heart" after stomping a rival's skull into strawberry jelly. Male 1 Boss is college educated and a fan of classical literature.

It's what's kept me playing the game repeatedly so soon after buying it in addition to the game itself being pretty fun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The only problem with Southern Boss is she says "Roll tide!" and not "Who dat?"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Don't forget that the bonus voice is nolan north, as in it's not nolan north voicing you, it's just actually nolan north.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

Don't forget that the bonus voice is nolan north, as in it's not nolan north voicing you, it's just actually nolan north.

.... I'm going to have to get this now.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

It's literally labeled as Nolan North which made me laugh.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Who's going to be the next overused voice actor in everything after Nolan North and Troy Baker?
Liam O'Brien is pretty cool but he tends towards playing older characters that are slightly less generic. Jonny Yong Bosch is all over anime.
And holy poo poo, Quinton Flynn is 51.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

It's literally labeled as Nolan North which made me laugh.

It's maybe the best part.

MALE 1
MALE 2
MALE 3
FEMALE 1
FEMALE 2
FEMALE 3
NOLAN NORTH

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
iirc he also refers to himself as Nolan North throughout the game in third person

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Cythereal posted:

4's female voices change quite a bit from 3, going from Russian and Hispanic as the non-generic (but still good) options to French and a Southern belle.

The Southern voice is very entertaining if you like the idea of a hardened underworld gangster who calls people "honey" and "sugar" and "sweetie" all the time while fondly reminiscing about growing up on a farm and who lets Kinzie borrow her sweaters.

The voices/personalities in the final two Saint's Row games are great little touches in general. They're not just different accents but distinctive personalities. Britishboss has the accent and manners of a British thug and swears far more often than any other Boss persona. Frenchboss is significantly more reserved and polite, tending towards eye-rolling and sarcasm rather than furious anger or swearing. Southern belle Boss is a cheery, friendly girl who would say "Bless your heart" after stomping a rival's skull into strawberry jelly. Male 1 Boss is college educated and a fan of classical literature.

It's what's kept me playing the game repeatedly so soon after buying it in addition to the game itself being pretty fun.

The thing dragging 4 down is that they didn't keep Russian boss, who was a clear best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Who's going to be the next overused voice actor in everything after Nolan North and Troy Baker?
Liam O'Brien is pretty cool but he tends towards playing older characters that are slightly less generic. Jonny Yong Bosch is all over anime.
And holy poo poo, Quinton Flynn is 51.

The thing dragging video games down is that after Nolan North and Troy Baker die there won't be any more voice acting in video games anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The thing dragging video games down is that after Nolan North and Troy Baker die there won't be any more voice acting in video games anymore.

Troy Baker will be replaced by a Troy Baker vocaloid

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

iirc he also refers to himself as Nolan North throughout the game in third person

"THAT'S HOW NOLAN ROLLS! :buddy:"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

ImpAtom posted:

Troy Baker will be replaced by a Troy Baker vocaloid

Matthew Mercer is pretty much more Troy Baker, but since's he not voicing the main-character of every loving game he's a lot easier to swallow. There was a gif of a Saints Row IV box knocking over Bioshock: Infinite and The Last of Us for GOTY top-spot, which is funny because Troy Baker voices the lead in all of them.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

RareAcumen posted:

I will miss Steve Blum when he inevitably gets throat cancer.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Peter Stormare is rapidly building up to replace Blum as "guy who sounds identical in all roles", but he has the benefit of sounding endearing. :buddy:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Matthew Mercer is pretty much more Troy Baker, but since's he not voicing the main-character of every loving game he's a lot easier to swallow. There was a gif of a Saints Row IV box knocking over Bioshock: Infinite and The Last of Us for GOTY top-spot, which is funny because Troy Baker voices the lead in all of them.

Then in CoD: Advanced Warfare he not only voiced the main character they used his face as well. That was actually a kind of neat thing for them to do because every major character in the game was the voice actor scanned in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I always thought Yuri Lowenthall was one of those 'all over the place' actors, but he's never really been as big as your Troy Bakers and Nolan Norths. He'll get just enough big supporting roles that you know his voice when you hear it, but not often enough or big enough for you to start picking him every-goddamn-where.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

I always thought Yuri Lowenthall was one of those 'all over the place' actors, but he's never really been as big as your Troy Bakers and Nolan Norths. He'll get just enough big supporting roles that you know his voice when you hear it, but not often enough or big enough for you to start picking him every-goddamn-where.

He's in Saint's Row 4 coincidentally, and in my opinion the standout voice actor from the supporting cast. He sounds so traumatized after being forced to watch the Boss do a stripper dance during a sidequest.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It Batman: Arkham Knight, I laugh every time two goons are talking to each other because it's Steve Blum talking to himself.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

poptart_fairy posted:

Peter Stormare is rapidly building up to replace Blum as "guy who sounds identical in all roles", but he has the benefit of sounding endearing. :buddy:

He did Mercenaries didn't he? good game, pity about 2.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

VanSandman posted:

It Batman: Arkham Knight, I laugh every time two goons are talking to each other because it's Steve Blum talking to himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Pound_Coin posted:

He did Mercenaries didn't he? good game, pity about 2.

He did it in 2 as well. Which was the superior game

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In Blood and Wine, your majordomo is called Barnabas-Basil Foulty

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

It had the superior song too.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Cleretic posted:

I know Mei says "it's good to be home" at Lijiang Towers, but I didn't know about Route 66. Gonna have to play some more Overwatch.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In Europa Universalis II the sound for disbanding a regiment is the same as the sound for recruiting one, except played backwards.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

poptart_fairy posted:

Peter Stormare was the best little thing in Until Dawn.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nah 1 was better, 2 had a cool ad/song, but the airstrike mechanics in 1 were fine and the carry limit and change from mostly laser designator air strikes, to smoke grenades with gently caress all range in 2 was a real needless step backwards.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Pound_Coin posted:

Nah 1 was better, 2 had a cool ad/song, but the airstrike mechanics in 1 were fine and the carry limit and change from mostly laser designator air strikes, to smoke grenades with gently caress all range in 2 was a real needless step backwards.

You say that but can you assassinate an oil executive with a tugboat in 1?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Gann Jerrod posted:

Peter Stormare was the best little thing in Until Dawn.

:wrong:

The best part is Emily's "apologize to the palm of my hand, bitch!" scene

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Matthew Mercer is pretty much more Troy Baker, but since's he not voicing the main-character of every loving game he's a lot easier to swallow.

Mercer voices McCree in Overwatch, the cyborg cowboy who's potentially very dangerous ultimate is announced by McCree saying "IT'S HIIIIIGH NOON".

Mercer also plays Overwatch and apparently likes to gently caress with his team by randomly saying that line over voice chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

1stGear posted:

Mercer also plays Overwatch and apparently likes to gently caress with his team by randomly saying that line over voice chat.

This sentence alone has now made Matt Mercer my favorite voice actor.