Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Met posted:

In the case of lockers, everything inside is deleted. It makes a good way of getting rid of excess items.

I was a bit bummed out to find rotten fish and random crap I put outside didn't go away ever.

Thankfully the new Bioreactor runs on anything organic you shove in it. Funnily enough, the most efficient power source is hatching large predators from eggs and then shoving the juveniles face first into the blender while they're still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Night is so annoying. You might as well not even bother trying to drive the cyclops at night because it's impossible to see anything. Getting close enough to the see floor for the lights to hit anything means you constantly get proximity alarms. Being high enough to clear everything either gets you pitch black with the floodlights off or pitch black with a haze over it with the lights off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats why the Cyclops needs the same sonar ability the Seamoth can get.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the flood lights would just point down a bit, it would be really helpful.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Artificial lighting needs a balance pass

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

7c Nickel posted:

Thankfully the new Bioreactor runs on anything organic you shove in it. Funnily enough, the most efficient power source is hatching large predators from eggs and then shoving the juveniles face first into the blender while they're still alive.

I did this with a baby stalker wayyyy back when and its corpse is still powering my base. Any plant stuff I drop in seems to get used fast but that stalker and some floaters have been in there forever.

Kinda disappointed with the cyclops the more I use it. You really can't see much, it needs to have a built in scanner room or something. Also the drones need auto recall.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The seamoth really needs an arm upgrade to pick stuff up without having to exit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

The seamoth really needs an arm upgrade to pick stuff up without having to exit.

I figured I could manage there, then I realized you can't access the cargo pods while it's docked in the Cyclops :doh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh man an arm on the seamoth where it can just grab poo poo and put it in the cargo bin, and then when you dock with the Cyclops or moon pool the cargo contents are dumped into a locker.. That would be very cool.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
A game hasn't made me feel this way in a very long time. It's got just the right mixture of dread and delight.

I'm working on a base on the lip of the shallow shoals, overlooking the mushroom forest. Just finished building a seamoth. Next step is to finish finding moonpool and cyclops fragments.

It amused me how the trash can comes pre-loaded with trash.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I started a new game and... the game spawned me on top of a nest of gasopods. Right on top of them. Nothing quite like dying of yellow farts while crafting some food.

Time to beeline an underwater base so I don't have to deal with those pests.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
The new external camera options on the Cyclops are just so amazing for cruising around. :allears:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cyclops cameras are extremely cool and useful. I also like being able to turn off the lights and just enjoy a bioluminescent view every now and then (like the koosh zone). I often wish the lights could be turned on and off in bases too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be cool if the light switch only turned off the cockpit lights. There's no need to turn the rest of the lights off.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Viperix posted:

On a related note, recommended locations for a base(biome-wise, not specific places?) I'm mid-game, I think; I don't have the cyclops yet.

Grand Reef is a good place due to the black smokers everywhere. Build a base close to them, build a thermal reactor, and enjoy your limitless free energy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Viperix posted:

On a related note, recommended locations for a base(biome-wise, not specific places?) I'm mid-game, I think; I don't have the cyclops yet.

I would suggest at the edge of a biome transition with a decent sized cliff. You'll need that if you want to park the big sub close to your base easily.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh here's something kinda spoilery with some neat implications attached.

https://sketchfab.com/models/5fefbc2704c04fb8a9dfe4b1e8f7f171

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cubey posted:

Grand Reef is a good place due to the black smokers everywhere. Build a base close to them, build a thermal reactor, and enjoy your limitless free energy.

I found a patch of the koosh zone that's volcanic as hell too. The shockers can be somewhat annoying sometimes but man those kooshes are just so drat cool.

I do like the grand reef though. Those balloon things and membrane trees rule. I wish I could put one of those balloons in my aquarium.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still need to get around to finding fragments for Water/Thermal/Nuke (They really should let you scan the intact but ruined filters :sigh: at least that abandoned undersea base trip got me some PDAs). But I was planning on making my second sea base within sight of floater island, Though I was thinking of the sparse reef, Grand reef would mean less relays.

Speaking of Relays, I've head they are kinda quirky in actually getting power where you want. I'm assuming you can't just run multiple bases off the same relay?

I was also kinda hoping to be able to relay solar from floater island down to a sea base, but I'm expecting the vertical situation to be too much for where I could put relays in the first place.

Oh, right. Clearly important high priority question. Does anybody know offhand what specific wrecks have the narrow bed? (Also, how do I scan other chairs? It will never let me scan the other two chairs, I just got the swivel stand one... Can't scan most desks either, or the majority of furnishings, really)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 5, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I built my base inside one of the giant coral tubes in the Safe Shallows. :3:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want to see a crazy tall base that is stacked from 500m down that extends to poke thru the surface :)

Needs elevators though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A ladder will go straight to the top if there's not intermediate levels.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

A ladder will go straight to the top if there's not intermediate levels.

I'm kind of scared of the day they add animations to ladders. My current base has a dozen floor vertical connector to the thermal vent level.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What do people even do with such large bases? I see pictures on reddit of these giant bases with tons of rooms and hallways. What do you even put in them?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Reginalds and bio reactors

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

7c Nickel posted:

I'm kind of scared of the day they add animations to ladders. My current base has a dozen floor vertical connector to the thermal vent level.

Clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk
what a thrill...
with darkness and silence through the night...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One thing that irked me about Subnautica is how you get these serious radiation alarms in water.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

What do people even do with such large bases? I see pictures on reddit of these giant bases with tons of rooms and hallways. What do you even put in them?

I generally have a section with a large display tank for my fish collection (minus a few of the largest ones which look silly) surrounded by windows. A nice indoor garden area, often on top of the display tank, also with windows. I like to have at least one free breeding tank for making whatever as well as a dedicated one for feeder fish. Depending on power sources you may need to snake up for better light or down to get to the thermal vents. If you run on Biopower you might have some breeding tanks set aside for that. Then there's the obvious stuff like the Moonpool (maybe more than one when the Exosuit comes out), Scanner room, and fancy bedroom or office(very important if you need to meet with the Elven trade liaison). You may also have some outside platforms where you can grow underwater plant samples or useful crops like Acid Mushrooms and Jellysacs. And then you need the hallways to connect them in an artistically pleasing manner based on the local terrain.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So I was out swimming aimlessly, just picked a random direction and went, when I ran into something... odd?

You see, I found mountains. Mostly just a few rocky spires, but one had a small beach access, so of course I started exploring.

Then I found a cave and promptly fell in. Turns out the mountain is hollow, with some caverns that lead down into the depths and, eventually, outside.

I am now huddled in this cave, it's pitch black outside, I have no idea where I am, and the sound of monsters is all around me. I am alternately praying that this isn't the secret Reaper nest, and praying that it is the secret Reaper nest, because I want some eggs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Past the few rooms the things you need to keep it/yourself comfortably running? Splitting alien containments, Storage, decoration, and an assortment of 2 tall alien containment just because you like looking at fish+creepvines. Pathing and design preferences may also make things take shape a certain way.

Also hard to shove a full sized bed in a corridor, after all.

My own Newbie Tower started off as a 5 tall MP room deal (the solars barely break the water. I hate rooms with sea level clipping through them). Floors 2/3 are still unused, but I'm planning on later shoving Nuke+water in floor 2, if they can fit next to eachother. Bio and Dual large containment tower attached to the south via 3rd floor, East/West attach Moon pool / Scanner room Decorative observatory hub and snack room via 2nd floor.

Southeast side of each tower is Windows, or a Hatch on the top and bottom floors. As much for orientation as decoration when using the ladder spins you around.

As great as it is we can stack tanks, I wish we could split them too. I want a multi floor mega aquarium without mixing every species with eachother.

Three-Phase posted:

what a thrill...
with darkness and silence through the night...
:allears:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 5, 2016

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Three-Phase posted:

One thing that irked me about Subnautica is how you get these serious radiation alarms in water.

It's a 'Quantum Dark Matter Reactor' so maybe it's some kind of imaginary 'Dark Radiation'?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

The explosion breached containment, so it was leaking radionuclei into the surrounding area. Then you fix containment and, uhm, the solution to pollution is dillution? :shrug:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TasogareNoKagi posted:

The explosion breached containment, so it was leaking radionuclei into the surrounding area. Then you fix containment and, uhm, the solution to pollution is dillution? :shrug:

That works since the radiation doesn't actually clear out for another couple of days.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I found out that releasing pet gasopods outside your seabase is a very bad idea, the poison will go through the wall and kill you, then you respawn and the poison kills you again two seconds later, and so on..

Is there a good way of getting stalker teeth? The advice i read on the wiki mentions letting it bite your seamoth, or check the seafloor where it has been gnawing on scrap, but i never manage to find any teeth.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Picked this up for the steam sale and really digging it. Just the right amount of crafting complexity.

Finally created the rad suit and was exploring the Aurora wreck. Spotted a big rear end sea monster and peaced out on my scooty puff Jr.

Wish the battery/food/water consumption rate was a tiny bit slower but it has a perfect blend of atmosphere and that Treasures of the Deep magic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So, quick question about Cyclops blueprints.

I finally went to the grand reef and sparse reef area to collect those blueprints I still needed. And I already had two cyclops upgrades on my blueprint list. (Regular for Plasteel + Aluminum oxide. Ultra for x10 Plasteel, oxide, and the first upgrade)

Now, I'm seemingly stuck at 2/3 of "Cyclops" scanning. I have a "Cyclops pressure compensator" that only needs 1 plasteel ingot between my recently unlocked Water Filter, and Nuclear reactor/Rods/Thermal reactor.

But scanning more Cyclops pressure compensator fragments (looking like those safes) now just give me titanium.

Safe to assume this third one I have (which in just now hindsight I can't even build), and this partical scan progress, is just an EA gently caress up?

I admit after I get around to making a secondary base in the reefs near floater island area, I'll probably be shelving it until it gets more optimized. For some reason while things run pretty good generally, physically turning my Cyclops turns things into a real shitshow, no matter what settings (I'm above all the recommended stuff, with 16 Gigs of Ram not being enough to have kept me from getting a memory error steering it through a kelp forest one time).

1,500 depth max (900, if I don't want to pop my seamoth) is of small comfort, when it's such a ballbuster doing anything but drive it forward and backward.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 5, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Spent my evening making towers on my base innthe shallows, poked above the surface but got annoyed by the clipping sonpullednthem just under. One tower has two double height alien containments with a gap floor and the other has a containment 5 storeys tall filled with rabbit rays.

I glassed in everything, I think there is no more quartz anywhere.

Top floor has my kickin penthouse with observation domes and fruit trees.

I don't even do much deep diving anymore just pimping out my habitat!!

Tore down my scanner room, it's kinda useless imo.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Oasx posted:

Is there a good way of getting stalker teeth? The advice i read on the wiki mentions letting it bite your seamoth, or check the seafloor where it has been gnawing on scrap, but i never manage to find any teeth.

- Breed stalkers in tank
- Drop two bits of scrap metal on the sea floor
- Drop two stalkers on the scrap metal.

They fight each other and there are teeth everywhere.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So I picked some sort of creature egg from the seafloor. How do I hatch it, can I just drop it in my tank, or do I need some incubator device or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

TasogareNoKagi posted:

That and the dark matter thing are good points.