Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Alma Worth

"I haven't killed anyone, and neither has the dog. I used mine to stop him from using his. Nonlethally." Alma fingered her DDD. "Speaking of which, since only one of us is a murderer here, I'd be obliged if you put down the gun and walked away, so we can do the same without coming to anything unacceptable."

On an offhand thought, she glanced at Azarchel's magic phone. "Dog, if you wouldn't mind..." Don't want anyone unprepared taking that. Including itchy trigger finger, here.

Haunt Kyrkogrim

The summoner's ideas about its kill count were less than accurate, but Kyrkogrim could smell the Law on her -- specifically, a code including an anti-killing precept -- so it didn't chime in. Or bark, as the case may be. Instead, it obediently picked up the summoning device in its jaws and crunched.

KYRKOGRIM +2 attempts to destroy the DDD +2. 2d6+2=12 [6,4].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Joshua Whittaker - SSD Building 15th Floor

The crowd was getting ugly and if Joshua had a fourth moment he would have worried more about the risk getting rushed by a gang of roided out attorneys with more crossfit and failed football dreams than he had college debt. He had a lot of outstanding student loans but a lot of those guys were pretty bulky and none of them were happy. But Decarabia was with him and he had no time. There could be zombies, werewolves, or motherfucking mole people in here somewhere and he needed Haley to be safe.

"EVERYBODY QUIET!" Decarabia punctuated his shout with a booming laugh of its own, spiraling in the air and pulsing a range of colors which turned the stomach and hurt the eyes as more birds nonchalantly hopped in. It swooped forward towards the crowd as he made his demands, stopping short of the foremost and leering mouthlessly as they flinched away before continuing to radiate its awful light.

"She's up with Johnson on the fortieth floor! He took the execs and a bunch of others up top as soon as we heard about the planes, don't hurt me!"
"It's an emergency meeting and I heard he's got private security!"
"Call it off and I'll give you my key for the elevator! I have kids!"

DECARABIA +6 creates an upshift for JOSHUA by flashing lights and being creepy! Roll was success!
JOSHUA +4, +2 upshift
BYSTANDERS have been intimidated!
HALEY has been taken to the 40TH FLOOR by JOHNSON!
ENORMOUS FLOCK OF BIRDS has increased in size!

Alma Worth - Massacre site somewhere downtown

They faced each other without hostility, or at least not exactly at odds. They were both armed and dangerous in their own way, and a wrong move by either of them would lead to bloodshed and probably more murder. But Kyrkogrim trotted over between them, taking up the discarded Device with its teeth and ending the matter with a hearty crunch. It licked wisping black smoke and plastic from its jaws as Alma's Device buzzed in her hands.

quote:

You've destroyed another Summoner's Digital Devil Device! All Contracted Devils bound to the Device are released from their contracts, and the remaining balance of $ouls from the Device have been credited to your account. Use your newfound wealth to buy upgrades for your device, unlock innovative and useful new features, or hoard it for the sheer thrill!

"If I'm the only murderer here then we don't have a problem." For a moment it looked like he had something else to say, but instead the man flinched before he could make eye contact with her and after deliberately turning his back stiffly walked away. She stared after him. What the hell was that? (aside from an execution in broad daylight)

KYRKOGRIM +2 destroys the unclaimed DDD +2! Roll was success! ALMA has received 140 $ouls!
??? has chosen to withdraw from the scene!

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 2, 2016

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rex Carver

This was just too much. This is what happens when you try and be a nice guy, a great big hassle. The thought of simply calling things off and letting things sort themselves out crossed Rex's mind...but Hamid is a good guy and he doesn't deserve this sort of poo poo.

"Hey! Get your own drat cab! I called him and we need a ride so you can just screw off!" Feigned confidence is just a part of the job but people aren't normally this on edge so Rex turns it up a notch, jutting his chin out and sticking both hands in the pockets of his coat as he gets right up in the closet guy's face. "Just get out of here, we don't need any trouble and if you really want to make something of it well there's a police station right down the corner. I know they're having a real fun time right now and I'm sure they'll love you cutting in with some racist bullshit."

He pauses to light a cigarette, "And in this part of town? I doubt you want to piss off the local cops with the amount of hot items running through your place? Now just gently caress off and let us do the same."

Trying to use my "Knows The City Like The Back Of His Hand" Quality to get PAWNSHOP DUDES to back off. Only a 6.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

I don't care what kind of security they have, no one's going to stop me.

Maybe he just hadn't thought about it much, but Joshua really liked how much power he had at his disposal. As he looked among the terrified office workers, he couldn't help but grin for a moment thinking these were the same kind of people who looked down on him when he came to visit Haley. Now they did what he told them. Neat, but there were bigger concerns. The birds were kind of getting to be more of an annoyance than an omen, but more than that, he worried about getting to the elevator and getting upstairs to find Haley. Most he passed made their way for him and his demonic starfish, trying not to catch the latter's singular gaze. He had just blown a hole in a building they all worked at, in the middle of a 'terrorist' attack, it was to be expected, right?

Now that he had a direction to go, he knew what he needed to do. He found the elevators, and as he waited for one to arrive, he had a moment of eerie quiet. He looked to his companion, and several of the hundreds of questions he had about the creature came to mind.

"So, uh, you're actually a demon? Like a for real, straight-outta-hell kinda demon?"

Nothing. It just seemed to stare at him.

"I...why is this happening? What exactly is happening?"

Nothing.

"Seriously? Of all the things, I get one that can't talk."

It whirled around, laughing to itself in it's awful pitch. He wasn't going to get any answers from the thing itself, so he opened up his DDD while he waited and tried to figure out what he could do with those $ouls he got earlier, maybe a translation feature?

JOSHUA uses DDD +2 to try and bridge the communication gap! 2d6+2: 9 [2d6=3, 4]

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Puppies are dicks posted:

Hank Settor - The Antler Brewery

"I don't know, he never said. But if you're free could you? I don't want to be the stereotype of that silly queen who freaks out over everything but it's just, you know?" Ruiz paused for a moment and the worries of the day seemed to catch up on him all at once in a wave of stress which tipped him gently down agains the edge of the bar. "I'm worried about him."

"There's all these people running around and everybody is scared because they can't get in touch with anybody because of the phones, and all day long we've been hearing those ambulances you know?" To prove the point another ambulance wailed by, alarms and sirens blazing. "I got a lot of people they come in and they just don't want to go because they don't want to be outside. One guy called his wife and told her to get the kids out of school and bring them over here, and then I'm like 'why would you tell them to travel if you think the streets aren't safe?'"

"Things are just a little..." He made a sign with his finger against his head, "I don't even know if we should be serving drinks right now or what."

"It's not like the Antler is going to be attacked by terrorists." Hank shrugged "Pretty low on the list of the city's crimes against godliness

"But listen to this, Ruiz. loving crazy poo poo. I'm biking around midtown-downtown, getting some pictures of graffiti and stuff, and a cop totally pulls his gun on me. Thinks I'm a terrorist, probably because I've got a beard. I talk him down, obviously, but he's totally stressed as poo poo. Leaves me his hat as an apology."

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 9, 2016

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Rebecca Hunt
Oh dear gods, mommy, come save me. "H-hey mom, things are..." What? Are they good? Are they fine? How did you expect to end that? Rebecca cleared her throat and shook her head, taking a deep breath. "I don't...I just need a ride. I'll start walking, and..." She stopped and turned, heart skipping a beat as she had an inner tremor at the thought of more Fae. She bit her lips, hard enough to almost blood as she held back a scream, brain trying to make sense of the fact that this creature had just survived the explosion that it had caused. Of course it had, why else would it cause an explosion, Fae weren't suicidal.

"Mom, I...I really think I might die today." She fumbled with the smart phone in her pocket, wondering if it had a signal and could give her information about what to do when confronted with an angry fairy. "I really just, I don't know, need help. I don't know what I'm doing, and where is grandma? Can I please talk to her?"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Rex Carver - Parking Lot

"Hah he's got you pegged Carl. Your poo poo's so hot it's radioactive!"

Carl(?) didn't like what he heard and his already ruddy face reddened."You calling me a crook you son of a bitch? You're probably- you're probably working with the terrorists!" He pushed back at Rex but he was no Rocky Balboa. Rex on the other hand had more than his share of experience with lovely husbands, deadbeat dads, and drunken assholes wanting to pick a fight. He stepped back and out of the way only the nudge up against the younger rear end in a top hat who had circled around the cab to try and get behind him.

"Yeah! Don't think I don't see your other towelhead buddy over there! loving traitor!" This one was a little less brave and despite talking big just shoved at him half heartedly. "wow that's pretty racist..." Someone in the crowd murmured, but a quick look around showed only a ring of curious camera phones pointed in their direction.

"Knock him on his rear end!"

That last heckler didn't seem too picky about whose rear end was handed to whom, but at least nobody else was pitching in. He held out (not much) hope that with all these phones somebody was calling the cops.

REX uses a social attack against PAWNSHOP DUDES! Defense was success!
PAWNSHOP DUDES +4 attacks REX! REX's default defense is +4 Private Eye, +2 Brawling! Defense was success!
BYSTANDERS are pretty amused by the entire scene and have decided to heckle and rubberneck!

Joshua Whittaker - SSD Building 15th Floor

It was definitely intelligent. And he knew that it could understand English, so maybe there was a starfish-to-English translation button or an app he could pay for? Joshua ignored the omnipresent and growing flock of birds and fiddled with his device some more and looked at Decarabia hopefully.

quote:

According to the writings in The Lesser Key of Solomon, Decarabia (or Carabia) is the sixty-ninth spirit listed in the Goetia. Although he has no title in the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, in the Lesser Key of Solomon he is a Great Marquis of Hell and has thirty legions of demons under his command.

The way is open. Hell will rise and your city will fall. ♥Teehee!♥

The buzzing alert message startled him and he almost dropped the device. Jesus poo poo even the ring tone alert sounded like that horrible creepy laugh. Decarabia itself bobbed in the air lazily, sweeping its single eye out across the ruins of the 15th floor at random.

JOSHUA uses DDD +2 to try and bridge the communication gap with DECARABIA! Roll was success!
The intimacy between JOSHUA and DECARABIA is good and JOSHUA has received a message on his DDD!

"And so I'm like 'Man you can't have minors in a bar ok?' and then he gets all serious grimdark at me, 'It's dangerous out there. You telling me to just leave them?' Huh." He stopped wiping the bar as the latest piece of hosed information settled in. "That's pretty hosed up. Did you get his badge or car number? I mean even if you were rocking a Bin Laden and waving crescent moon flags they can't just up and draw on you like that. Hey Vince! You guys have rules about drawing on people in the street as long as they're not unarmed black teens right? Come and listen to this!"

Ruiz shouted across the bar and some guy hollered back. 'Hey gently caress you, human being! I'll keep an eye out for your unarmed black teen the next time I see some nimrod curbstomping one of you doughnut punchers. Give me another two beers while you're at it." Vince pushed his way through the crowd and bellied up the bar, a little flushed by the afternoon of drinking but not too much the worse for wear. "Yeah after that World Bank thing they're really uptight about that sort of poo poo. It's a real hassle and you have to sit through like three hours of
training if you get caught just waving it around like it was your dick. Why what happened?"

Ruiz ducked beneath the counter to the mini fridge where the local microbrews were kept, "At least you got one of those stupid checkered hats out of it right? So there's that."

Rebecca Hunt - All Saints Hospital, outside

"Oh Becca honey the bridge is a terrible sad thing but we have to believe that it can get better ok? You'll be alright. Here you talk to Grandma while I grab my keys. Mom? If she's still at the hospital tell her I'll pick her up from the bus stop in half an hour..." Murmured conversation she couldn't really hear was going on through the other end of the call, but while she waited Rebecca flipped open the smartphone she'd found. Maybe it had a good data plan and she could google "how to appease murderous fairies"?

Ow! Something jabbed her right through the ball of her thumb and she juggled around to suck the bead of blood away while the phone booted up. Contract, Dismiss, Summon, $ouls to buy apps or upgrades, a bunch of hokey as-seen-on-tv messages scrolled down the screen, along with a host of buttons and widgets she knew nothing about.

"Rebecca? What's going on?"

In broad daylight the screen was dim but the glowing circle on the lower screen pulsed at Rebecca with an odd depth that gave her a bit of a headache.It was like one of those 3D videogame things only it kept flashing Click YES now to release the seal and forge a contract with your complementary Summoned Devil.

"You're at work right? The caller ID says its the payphone by the hospital, your mom should be there in half an hour."

GRANDMA has the phone!
Click YES now to release the seal and forge a contract with your complementary Summoned Devil! Digital Devil Corporation assumes no liability for any damages or loss of any kind that might arise from the use of, misuse of, or the inability to use complementary Summoned Devil pairings. complementary Summoned Devil is not to be combined with other offers. user experiences may vary.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 13, 2016

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

Elevators are a drag in the apocalypse.

As the elevator doors finally(FINALLY) opened, Joshua stepped in, batting away a couple of the hundreds of birds that followed him inside with Decarabia, who had to squeeze himself into the small metal box, it's eye dancing from place to place. He really didn't know what to do about these birds, but that wasn't the major concern. If the message on his DDD was at all correct, then this was the end of the world as they knew it. Sure, the zombies and demons and hellish flocks of blackbirds were good clues but now it seemed to click. Looking at the vaguely uncomfortable demon, it was hard to imagine he was some kind of demonic royalty, but after seeing what he was capable of it became a little more believable.

As the doors opened to the 40th floor, the birds scattered in all directions as he and Decarabia emerged from the elevator, Joshua leading as he made a break for the board's meeting room. It helped that there were signs leading the way, of course, he'd never been up here. Gosh, it really is well appointed with plants and marble, was that a baby grand off in the corner? Did they hire someone to play it or was it just a conversation piece? A strange whine from Decarabia got him back on track, as he kicked the door down! Well...tried to kick the door down. Falling back on his rear end, he could only think how much easier TV made that look. He looked at Decarabia, as the demon acknowledged his silent command...

Fallen Decarabia

...rearing back, its eye fully opened, as it let out a single high pitched squeal, as a wave of force issued forth and slammed into the door with great speed!

Fallen DECARABIA +6 uses Zan to blow the door off it's hinges! 2d6+6: 17 [2d6=5, 6]

Joshua Whittaker

Sure, yeah, maybe he could have knocked? But there was no time for knocking, this was the apocalypse dammit! As soon as the door was clear, he would step into the room, and immediately try to get control of the room using both his speaking skills and the demonstration of force. "Everybody stay CALM! I'm only here for Haley!

JOSHUA attempts to use his Way With Words +4 and an assumed threat of violence to get his way! 2d6+4: 14 [2d6=5, 5]

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joshua Whittaker - SSD Building 40th Floor

Board room, security desk, conference room, executive bathroom, security desk the fortieth floor was a shitload of rooms and tastefully expensive looking rooms with signs. Joshua worried a bit about all the vacant security desks and empty halls but this was the Apocalypse and the bubble of pure force smashed through the doors to screams from the other side anyway, punctuating how little he gave a poo poo about the lesser details.

Joshua shouted, running in as soon as the doors blew open but ducked back as soon as he saw the pistols, just in time to avoid being shot repeatedly.

"Attention intruder! You are currently trespassing on Star, Star, and Douglas property and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law! We are armed and licensed to act in self defense! Lay down your weapon and surrender immediately or we will respond with due force!"

Those fuckers shot first! They were shooting at him!

DECARABIA +6 attacks REINFORCED DOOR! Roll was success! REINFORCED DOOR has been destroyed but none of the people on the other side have been hurt!
JOSHUA +4 uses his way with words and the threat of further starfish-related violence! ARMED GUARDS +4 defends! +6 GUARD CAPTAIN defends!
ARMED GUARDS +4 attacks JOSHUA! JOSHUA's default defense was +2 Quick on his feet! Defense was success!
GUARD CAPTAIN +6 attacks JOSHUA! JOSHUA's default defense was +2 Quick on his feet! Defense was success!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

You fuckers just shot at me! I COULD HAVE DIED!

Maybe it was just the thing he needed, having a couple of bullets fly past his head, because as he finally stopped for a moment the reality of the situation set in momentarily. First, he was definitely crazy, there was no doubt there. He rode a giant starfish into an office building, and lead some kind of half-baked assault on his girlfriend's place of work, and now he was getting shot at by security.

Second, he needed a drink. No, make that all of the drinks. By this time he was usually halfway to plastered, having had to deal with the realities of being a teacher for a day, but now reality was completely hosed and he wasn't even sure where he'd get liquor right now. Wait a second, don't these CEO types always have some brandy or something stashed away, or was that just on TV? Either way, with the threat of two security guards in his way, he was halted on his search for both Haley and alcohol. Talking his way through didn't work, but was he sure he could get past these two?

He looked to Decarabia, who had ducked back with him and was currently staring at him with that one big eye. "What? Do you have some kind of idea?"

Fallen Decarabia

Whirring and giving a half spin, it acknowledged what he said as it glowed bright orange, casting the same kind of protective field around it had before plowing into the building. As Joshua waited by the demolished doorway, Decarabia dashed back into the room, bullets pinging off it's protective aegis as it let out a booming voice that sounded like snakes being rubbed with sandpaper until the agony forced them to acquire speech. "I AM DECARABIA, GREAT MARQUIS OF HELL. YOUR CITY IS FORFEIT, YOUR LIVES WILL END, YOUR SOULS SHALL BELONG TO MY MASTER."

DECARABIA +6 casts Tetrakarn! Affinity with JOSHUA allows DECARABIA to speak comprehensibly(when it wishes)2d6+6: 16 [2d6=6, 4]

Joshua Whittaker

It could talk!? All this time and confusion and yet now it chose to speak? Well, okay, now was a pretty good time, even he felt that tingling in his hind-brain telling him to run for his god damned life. Putting Decarabia between himself and the bullets, he tried again to convince them peacefully. "That's right, this guy is hell ROYALTY, and I'm his boss. Since the world's going to hell in a handbasket, I guess that now makes me YOUR boss. Drop the guns and maybe you'll have time to run before the poo poo really hits the fan." This was some serious bullshitting, but what the hell, he felt confident, even as he felt the shaking in his hands, knowing it wasn't just fear. No matter how this went, he was going to need to find a liquor store after this.

JOSHUA attempts to strike fear in his opponents in the hope that they capitulate, but those DTs are coming on hard! His Way With Words +4 might just fail him again! 2d6+4: 11 [2d6=3, 4]

Juchero fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 5, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

"And so I'm like 'Man you can't have minors in a bar ok?' and then he gets all serious grimdark at me, 'It's dangerous out there. You telling me to just leave them?' Huh." He stopped wiping the bar as the latest piece of hosed information settled in. "That's pretty hosed up. Did you get his badge or car number? I mean even if you were rocking a Bin Laden and waving crescent moon flags they can't just up and draw on you like that. Hey Vince! You guys have rules about drawing on people in the street as long as they're not unarmed black teens right? Come and listen to this!"

Ruiz shouted across the bar and some guy hollered back. 'Hey gently caress you, human being! I'll keep an eye out for your unarmed black teen the next time I see some nimrod curbstomping one of you doughnut punchers. Give me another two beers while you're at it." Vince pushed his way through the crowd and bellied up the bar, a little flushed by the afternoon of drinking but not too much the worse for wear. "Yeah after that World Bank thing they're really uptight about that sort of poo poo. It's a real hassle and you have to sit through like three hours of
training if you get caught just waving it around like it was your dick. Why what happened?"

Ruiz ducked beneath the counter to the mini fridge where the local microbrews were kept, "At least you got one of those stupid checkered hats out of it right? So there's that."

I am really bad at seriousposting because I get shy when it's not just being a poo poo in GBS

"Yeah, you think I should put it on the 'speak no evil' monkey? Or would that be too tacky?" Hank showed Victor the name tag inside the cap, and settled into the usual banter with Ruiz & the other regulars, slowly sipping an Imperial Black IPA with local hops from three farms. He had to get up and start baking by four, even with a crisis happening. Unless Jerry called and said they'd be opening late... he checked his phone and starting sorting through the news alerts and emergency warnings.

"Ruiz, seems like I'm going to be hitting the sack at the usual time so I can open. I'm guessing you're here until 11? I'll clean up the kitchen before you get back." He put down a couple of two dollar bills for the beer and walked out the front door into the evening twilight.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Decarabia's awful voice boomed into the closed room, and Joshua shouted his speech around the corner to the sound of violent retching. Sobbing, quiet begging, and loudly painful retching. At the risk of getting weird and kinky, throwing up and begging was good. Definitely a good sign. If they were rolling around on the ground making GBS threads themselves in fear then they were definitely too busy to shoot at him and he could walk in (behind Decarabia), find Haley, clear things up and-

"Look out, he's got a gun!"

Joshua toppled to the ground like an old timey cowboy. The bullet had smashed into his shoulder and with rising panic he grabbed at Decarabia for support but the starfish was already vibrating in rage at the demon holding the glowing pistol. The enemy demon leered through the bullet sized gap in Decarabia's shield and continued shouting tonelessly.

"Lay down your weapon! I am in fear for my life and responding with due force!"

DECARABIA +6 casts Tetrakarn to shield JOSHUA! Roll was success! JOSHUA has gained the trait (resistant to damage) until the end of the scene!
JOSHUA +4 performs an area social attack against ARMED GUARDS +4, GUARD CAPTAIN +6! Defense was success! Defense was success!
ARMED GUARDS +4 were shocked by DECARABIA's voice! Defense was failure! ARMED GUARDS +4 was sickened by the horror of DECARABIA's voice and cannot act this round!
GUARD CAPTAIN +6 has transformed into LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH +6!
LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH +6 attacks JOSHUA! JOSHUA's default defense was +2 Quick on his feet! Due to LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH's effect, JOSHUA's trait (resistant to damage) did not apply! Defense was failure! JOSHUA has been shot! JOSHUA has taken 3 (-6) ranks of damage!

"Yeah it's cool thanks, Pavlo can take care of himself. He's probably halfway to tanked on mimosas and crashing on his mom's couch."

Ruiz took the bills and waved him on as the off duty cop hung around to finish his beer and grab his pitcher, "You leave it behind it'll get counted as evidence, but if it was me I'd just hang on to it. The numbnuts who drew on you will have to fill out a requisition form and come up with some bullshit excuse about how he lost it and probably get hosed." He read the name and laughed. "Hah, figures it'd be the 6th street precinct. Buncha inbreds up in there, you know Ireland's the Alabama of Europe right?"

Inbred Irish cops aside Hank a plenty of other things to do, mostly involving finishing his beer and checking his phone. There were a bunch of messages from Mom and Dad expressing quiet concern, spam mail about environmentally sustainable water filters, a shitload of alerts and updates for the DDD. Tons of advertisements for $oul and probably malware driven apps. Nothing new on the bridge, but people were freaking out with conjecture and scaremongering about what the hell happened to the second plane. There sure were plenty of ads for strange and exotic products though.

Maybe he could try his luck? The DDD showed his current balance of $oul at a cool 0 but some of the dodgy free apps would probably be worth a look right? When he'd bought the one before it had cost something ridiculous like 1000 $ouls, but back then it was late and he'd assumed it was some sort of new game currency or phone token. He still didn't have a solid grasp on where the hell he was supposed to get more though.

HANK checks his messages! HANK has received several messages from MOM & DAD, SPAM MAIL, ALERTS FROM SYSTEM, and SOLICITATIONS FOR $OUL & FREEMIUM APPS! If you want to try your chances with a free(mium) app feel free to write in your own with the next action or I'll choose something(possibly awesome) at random!
You can check the 3rd post in this thread for system update messages!
HANK's current balance of $oul is 0!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

loving gently caress THAT FUCKER SHOT ME GOD DAMMIT

Joshua was a boring person. That might seem a little silly considering the events of the day, but before the world started to end he was a pretty vanilla guy. Maybe he drank too much, maybe he wasn't the greatest teacher, but he lead a normal, boring life. The kind of life that doesn't prepare you for being shot. His mind went blank for a few minutes as he tried to process the ridiculous amount of pain, feeling his shirt growing damp with his own blood. A demon security guard, didn't expect thOH GOD IT HURTSat. Now he was in a bad situation, and he needed medical attention. No, he needed god damned alcohol. No, actually, HE NEEDED TO NOT GET SHOT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Looking up at Decarabia, he felt rather powerless for the first time in hours. Without its help, he would be dead in moments, but with him, he had a chance. Trying to get out something between gritted teeth, he pressed down on the wound to try and slow the bleeding as he picked himself back up. He wasn't going to be moving so fast or thinking too straight until he got this tended to, but he still had his words. "Decarabia...kill this ugly son of a bitch so we can find Haley and get the hell out of here! You're the Grand Marquis, right? Show this bastard what that means!"

JOSHUA takes damage to High School History Teacher(+0), Quick on his Feet(+0), and Way With Words(+2)! Attempts to convince Decarabia to fight his hardest! 2d6+2: 7 [2d6=4, 1]

Fallen Decarabia

It didn't need to say another word, partially because people can only throw up so much, but mostly because its giant unblinking eye was fully open for the first time, glaring at the impudent demon who had dared to harm his master. Every single cell seemed to vibrate and glow, as it focused its considerable energies upon the interloper, as the room heated up by at least fifteen degrees.

DECARABIA +6 gathers its power to unleash its full potential, and unleashes the hellish fire of Agidyne upon LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH +6! 2d6+6: 15 [2d6=5, 4]

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"Stop resisting! Stay down!"

Abramalech licked its lips as it watched the life pump rapidly out of Joshua, still shouting nonsensical warnings. It aimed the glowing pistol at him, ready to take the last shot but froze as it took in the mass of glowing red lines that Decarabia had become. Whatever Joshua had said was lost to the roaring of hot wind and flame which swirled around the Grand Marquis, and Joshua got the impression that the demon wasn't listening. Decarabia's emotional state was mercurial and bizarre at best but right now it was a fair bet that it was angry.

B͇͓u̶͏̠͕̣̝͓̹͙̞ṛ̭̤͔̮͡n̸̘͝

A wisp of black smoke blew away harmlessly, but Decarabia continued to glow(er) in the direction of the still-armed vulcanized corpse and remaining guards busy vomiting in terror..

JOSHUA +2 Attempts to convince Decarabia to fight his hardest! Roll was failure! DECARABIA wasn't convinced! It's pretty mad!
DECARABIA +6 gathers its power to unleash its full potential, and unleashes the hellish fire of Agidyne upon LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH +6! Defense was failure! LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH takes 5 (-10) ranks of damage! LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH takes damage to all ranks! LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH has been dissipated! LESSER DEMON ABRAMALECH has left behind a severely burnt human corpse!
DECARABIA is still looking pretty steamed! It looks like it wants to continue!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

I got shot because of these idiots...all I wanted was Haley!

There was definitely a part of Joshua that wanted to deescalate the situation, to let things calm down and try to reason with people. A part that wanted to try and stop Decarabia from doing whatever it was about to do. Unfortunately for everyone in attendance, he was having trouble finding that part, as the pain of the gunshot in his shoulder radiated through his whole chest, feeling like he'd been hit by a truck somehow. Probably the same reason it punched through his demon's shields which had managed to plow through concrete and steel.

He looked among the retching and terrified in attendance, especially the other security guard, and he tried to think if there was any way out of this. Decarabia wasn't listening, he could tell, but he knew what it wanted somehow. He was too tired to resist as he could feel the bloodloss and shock starting to set in. "Just...don't hurt Haley. I need you...to get me and her out of here." He was struggling to stay on his feet anymore, and he collapsed back onto the ground, watching the terrifying Marquis work the same magic that just turned a possessed human into a chunk of burnt carbon.

JOSHUA attempts to use his Way With Words +2 to convince Decarabia to practice some discretion with whatever it was about to do. 2d6+2: 9 [2d6=4, 3]

Fallen Decarabia

It had been a very long time for the errant demon, that the world might see the Grand Marquis at his full potential. Today had been mostly a lark, and while his master seemed particularly adept at causing the chaos he so enjoyed, Decarabia wasn't taking things seriously. Think about it for a moment, why would hell royalty want to serve a dead end alcoholic? Yet, he was HIS master. Wounding him was a grave insult, especially by something as contemptible as the Abramalech, and such an insult had to be repaid. Someone here summoned that creature, and he wasn't in the mood for figuring out who was who. The arcane lines that covered Decarabia seemed to appear on the floor below it, and began to spread in all directions as the room quickly heated up. No one was going to make it out of here, but as Joshua pleaded with him to spare Haley, he looked out among the crowd.

"WHOEVER HAS SUMMONED THIS CONTEMPTIBLE CREATURE, NAME YOURSELF AND BE DESTROYED, OR ALL SHALL FACE THE FLAMES AS ONE"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

It was a pretty lovely afternoon. Rumors of terrorists, rioters in the streets and helmeted police mowing people down filtered through everywhere and any idiot could tell something worse was going on. Attica Island buzzed with the lesser chaos of fires and sirens as its people struggled with monsters and cell phones, some of them better than others, some worse. Then the air stilled, muggy but pregnant with the threat of some other shoe dropped. Maybe it was the other plane? Maybe the chaos at the bridge was finally over?

Rocked by sound, you're blinded by the sudden flare of light as multiple explosions smash through the city. And then that's it. The lights, air conditioning, alarms, the tv, almost everything gone except for the phone in your hand which glows dimly back at you with a new line along the bottom.

!@:#$:$#:%@:32
!@:#$:$#:%@:31
!@:#$:$#:%@:29

Haley! The loving demon thing had blasted everything in the room and what the gently caress had it done to Haley?! Joshua lurched forward in a panic, prayer, terror, and bargaining surging out from his gut and burning his throat as he looked and hoped to find her there unharmed beneath a shield of magical demon energy or something but the room was just ash with human shaped smudges against the floor and walls.

Decarabia bobbed in without a word, gathering its rage again as it made for the newly revealed shaft in the wall. Half in rage Joshua grabbed for the only other thing in the room, the half melted pistol with which Abramalech had nearly killed him. Wait. He counted the burnt shadows. One for the demon and four for the other guards. That was it.

JOSHUA is still injured!
FALLEN DECARABIA has destroyed the BOARDROOM in its rage!
FALLEN DECARABIA has revealed a HIDDEN ELEVATOR SHAFT and +??? DEMONIC PISTOL (damaged) which have survived the blast!
FALLEN DECARABIA is getting ready to go down that hole!

He'd finished his beer, checked his messages, and was ready to go. Maybe grab some sugar free mints for the road so he didn't beer breath any cops he'd run into on the way. Then the bomb(s?) hit and everything went out at once. People in side were raising their voices and already down the street and in the apartments above he could hear shouts, curses, and screams? A lot of bellows of rage and god awful screaming in the distance told him that this probably wasn't the time to hang around outside the bar.

If you want to retcon in an action or two let me know and we can work it out, otherwise HANK is outside ANTLER BREWERY! PEOPLE INSIDE are getting a little contentious and loud, HANK can hear screams in the distance!

Shunsuke Takeda - Alleyway battleground

He wasn't fully sure how he'd managed to make it through unharmed this time. Gaetan sure as hell hadn't. Shunsuke muttered a prayer under his breath for the Frenchman. He was a bitter old racist but when it counted Gaetan had held his end of the alley alongside his Contracted Demon and died to drive himself and the greater zombie into Jeanne's holy flames. Martyr's flame, she had called it. The actual words she used were a bastardization of Adamic and early Sumerian which in context made no sense for a demon purporting to be the reincarnation of a French peasant girl but it had saved his life and it seemed impolitic to complain.

Wukong passed him the fallen DDD with a questioning look. He scrolled past the ads and system messages which Gaetan had never bothered opening and checked. The same line of gibberish at the bottom continued counting down, that was a problem he'd have to get to the bottom of eventually too, but in more pragmatic terms he was relieved to see that Gaetan's gathered $ouls remained on the device even though the boxes for Owner Information and Contracted Devil were now greyed out.

SHUNSUKE has survived a fierce battle against ZOMBIES with the help of his Contracted Demon SUN WOKUNG!
AGENT GAETAN has not survived, but his +2 DDD is still intact!
AGENT GAETAN'S DDD has a balance of 84 $ouls!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Hank Settor

He'd been scrolling through the freemium apps when the explosions just about threw him to the ground. When he scooped his phone back up and got steady again, the screen read. "Download Complete". No indication what he'd bought but it was probably good. He hoped. Yeah. Explosions. Back to the loving apartment and locking the loving door. He'd text mom & dad, and sis, and Ruiz, and Pablo, and you know what. Just go through and text as many people as seemed right. But while walking. Yeah, walk the bike, text on the phone. Keep an eye out for weird poo poo. It's just a loving shirt, so if somebody needs a bandage. Yeah. gently caress the city life.

Also there was a ticking timer in the bottom corner. That wasn't worrisome.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

Things were bad, yeah. The world seemed to be exploding, for one. His shoulder was killing him, his demon was out of control, and he may have just killed some people. But at the very least, Haley wasn't here. As Decarabia made his way towards the revealed elevator shaft, Joshua tried to get him to stop. "Hey! Will you just wait a second?" It regarded him for a moment, that great and terrible eye staring him down. He gulped, as he picked up the demonic sidearm from the ground. "Haley's probably in there, and there's probably more demons, right? I'm no good like this, never been shot before and it turns out it really loving hurts." He was still bleeding, but that was less of a concern right now compared to the pain which he struggled to stay coherent through. "You got any tricks up your...sleeves that can fix me?" It ignored him, as it continued on, as he struggled to get his argument out, his thoughts swimming in pain.

"Cmon! You flew me across the city! You just torched this whole room! You've done a million weird things since I summoned you, and you can't manage this?!"

JOSHUA picks up +??? DEMONIC PISTOL (damaged), thinking it might come in handy.

Fallen Decarabia

Turning around to face him again, the Marquis seemed to bristle at such a challenge. It could manage a great many things. A simple hole in human meat wasn't something it had considered, is all. It had no magic to mend it, that was true, but it was a very flexible entity. Right now, it needed Joshua to be able to act, and while he whined about the damage that the Abramalech had done, he would be useless.

So, he stabbed him.

Joshua Whittaker
A long spike made of the same material as its body extended out and pierced him through the bullet wound, knocking out the gnarled slug as Joshua let out a pained scream. A moment later it retracted, leaving some of his own demonic tissue in its wake. For a moment, everything went white, and he felt like he was about to fall over, but then the pain seemed to fade quickly. It certainly felt strange, but the bleeding stopped almost immediately. The fact that part of a demon was inside him was the least of his worries, as he headed towards the elevator shaft.

DECARABIA +6 attempts to shut Joshua up and stop up the hole in his arm with a small donation of demonic flesh. 2d6+6: 12 [2d6=2, 4]

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Day 1 - Late Afternoon

Decarabia stabbed him and didn't even bother turning around, but once the agonizing burst of pain was over Joshua pulled himself together. Optimistically he hoped that he actually was feeling better instead of being poisoned by demonic endorphins or something. He looked out along his arm and flexed his fingers. It looked good, still a bit tender and stiff to the touch but since his blood was staying put on the inside of him Joshua was willing to take what small victories he could. Decarabia was already bobbling down the hole, crackling red energy lines and all, but he kept looking at his empty hand even as he shuffled after the Marquis and strained his eyes to look down the shaft.

Wait. How was he looking at his own hand while simultaneously looking down an empty elevator shaft that was nowhere near his empty hand?

He looked up at himself and gagged. The disorientation was terrible but the heavy softball sized lump of flesh growing through his loving body and into the demonic pistol in his hand blinked up at him.

DECARABIA +6 attempts to shut JOSHUA up and stop up the hole in his arm with a small donation of demonic flesh! Roll was not quite success!
JOSHUA has lost the +??? DEMONIC PISTOL (damaged)!
JOSHUA has gained the trait +2 Fused with Demonic Gun!
JOSHUA has gained the trait -2 Fused with Demonic Gun!
DECARABIA has descended down the ELEVATOR SHAFT!

Hank Settor - Wolff and 3rd

quote:

Mundane money troubles got you down? Lack of lucre cramping your style? Never got a sous to spare right when you need it? Solve your problems with you very own Bear$kin Purse! Simply register yourself as a valid user at the start of every day, place your thumb against the circle and you too can 'shake loose' a handful of low-value coinage from your Digital Devil Device. Also great for upper body workouts, increase the denomination of your currency but Upgrading your account with $ouls today!

"Mom & Dad text chain" posted:

SAW D NEWS RU OK?

HANK RU OK?

RU OK?! >:O

HANK CALL MOM ASAP...

Hank WGBS says there was another crash, their newscopter went down. Are you at work? Can you get to a safe place? Also call your mother when you get the chance, she's very worried.

OMG DD THE CTY GET BOMBED?! RU OK HANK?

He'd never seen the city this quiet. No air conditioning, no tvs, no cars or handicap accessible crosswalks beeping along. Just the wheel of his bike clicking as he scrolled through the long chain of messages from his parents and sister and tried not to think about what a great target a crowded bar like the Antler would make. But then Athena city was filled with places like the Antler, and it wasn't like it was a landmark or big famous place or anything so the terrorists would probably go after someplace else.

Hank stopped. What happened to the screams? Somewhere around the intersection of Wolff and 3rd he cautiously poked his head around the corner and got an eyeful of horror and gore. It was like a bad Walking Dead shoot, body parts strewn about haphazardly as pallid zombies tore hungrily at wet flesh and sinew. One of them, at least twice as big as the others, popped the leg from a corpse like you would a drumstick and gulped heavily.

MOM & DAD are pretty worried!
HANK has downloaded the Freemium app, BEAR$KIN PURSE! BEAR$KIN PURSE can be used to generate a small amount of low-value currency as many times as a registered user wants to waste time manually shaking loose change out of the DDD!
HANK has come across a large group of ZOMBIES! One of the ZOMBIES is pretty big! ZOMBIES are currently distracted!

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 27, 2016

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Shuusuke Takeda

The first person he'd seen since everything had happened. Dead. All he had to show for it was another of these strange devices. Some kind of ticking clock...an IED? A timer? A countdown...but to what, exactly? Or, perhaps, when...?

"Hey, you in there? Earth to Master!"

An attempt to whack him over the head swiftly dodged, Shuusuke turns to his companion.

"We don't really have time to mess around, Wukong. Do you have any idea what this means?" He holds up the DDD, timer still blinking down.

A tilted head. Scratching at his white beard.

"Nope. Looks important, though."

"Great. Thanks for all the help." Is the reply, along with a sigh.

"So what's the plan, buddy?"

"Did you just call me buddy?" Narrowed eyes. Murderous intent?

"Sure did!"

"You're gonna never want to do that again. For future reference." He says, surveying the area. "No sign of the rest of them. Must've taken off after they dealt with that girl."

"She had a name, you know."

"Her name is irrelevant to the mission. She died. End of story."

A hand goes over the Monkey King's heart. "You wound me! So callous!"

Fingers cup Shuusuke's chin. "First order of business is get out of here, find somewhere where we're more likely to find survivors. At this rate, there might not be many left..."

"It's a whole city! There's gotta be somebody!"

"Only one way to find out." He says, as the two take off running out of the alley. Checking every corner, they go. To where, exactly...? Somewhere else. Less demons, more people. The particulars, at this point, aren't that important.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 28, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

He'd never seen the city this quiet. No air conditioning, no tvs, no cars or handicap accessible crosswalks beeping along. Just the wheel of his bike clicking as he scrolled through the long chain of messages from his parents and sister and tried not to think about what a great target a crowded bar like the Antler would make. But then Athena city was filled with places like the Antler, and it wasn't like it was a landmark or big famous place or anything so the terrorists would probably go after someplace else.

Hank stopped. What happened to the screams? Somewhere around the intersection of Wolff and 3rd he cautiously poked his head around the corner and got an eyeful of horror and gore. It was like a bad Walking Dead shoot, body parts strewn about haphazardly as pallid zombies tore hungrily at wet flesh and sinew. One of them, at least twice as big as the others, popped the leg from a corpse like you would a drumstick and gulped heavily.

MOM & DAD are pretty worried!
HANK has downloaded the Freemium app, BEAR$KIN PURSE! BEAR$KIN PURSE can be used to generate a small amount of low-value currency as many times as a registered user wants to waste time manually shaking loose change out of the DDD!
HANK has come across a large group of ZOMBIES! One of the ZOMBIES is pretty big! ZOMBIES are currently distracted!

Hank Settor - Wolff and 3rd

Hank quickly ducked back around the corner. "Oh, of course," he thought "if I can just randomly get a phone that summons demons when I order a new iPhone, so can some nutjobs obsessed with ancient gods. That explains a lot." He fired off the text to his parents "Fine so far, headed home but the streets are kinda crazy. I'm a big scary athlete tho, so I don't think anybody will mess with me. Will call once I'm home." Then another: "DON'T call me. I've seen some fights among people looking for a working phone." Then he set the ringer to silent and put his thumb on the summoning circle.

With a whipcrack the seven foot vaguely humanoid winged monster appeared next to him.
"Hreung? Heww hewww?"
"Shhh, buddy. Keep it down. I've got good news and bad news. Good news is you don't have to be sneaky today. Bad news is we're probably gonna get jumped by somebody else's demon."
"Heonk?"
"Ummmm. I don't have a notebook or pen for you right now. But if you're asking for permission to bust some heads, my order as your summoner is to get me safely back to the apartment."
"Horork?"
"Ummm .... Sixteen blocks north, three blocks east, then the fifth floor. Just ... watch my back and stay close."

Hank tucked his phone back into his pocket, rolled up his pant legs, and mounted the bike. Then he kicked off, dropped low, and started charging up through the gears.

Summoning my ol buddy the inarticulate SHEDDIM so he's at the ready. Then using ATHLETIC +4 to get the hell out of dodge. Guess I'll have to stop every couple blocks to let good ol Mr SHED catch up.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 28, 2016

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

oh my god oh my god oh my god

The new perspective was disorienting, almost as much as the wave of nausea that overcame him as he looked at the grotesque eye that was looking up at him from his hand. It seemed to slither around after 'eating' the gun, and came to rest at his wound, the great yellow eye blinking as it looked around. He could only just keep his lunch down, as he looked down the exposed elevator shaft. Decarabia was moving quickly, and he could worry about this strange new turn when he wasn't worried about Haley.

"She's going to freak when she sees me like this..." Looking around inside the shaft, a maintenance ladder was just within his reach, as he climbed over and grabbed on. It was a ways down, but it didn't seem his demon was in the mood for another piggyback ride at the moment. His head ached as he made the climb down, as his mind raced with new thoughts and memories which were not his. Was this thing inside him still connected to it? He tried to ignore it, but he could feel a very certain sense that this was only the beginning, and things were only going to get worse.

His partner was silent on the way down, as Joshua experimented with the new additions to his body, trying to direct the eye to different places. He could use any advantage he could get. Sometimes though, in the solitude of the elevator shaft, he could swear he was seeing things with his new eye that his own couldn't. Were they hallucinations? Everything was connected, in ways he could have never understood before, and yet still failed to truly understand now. He could see the way Decarabia shifted these connections as it moved implacably through the air. As he focused on the new piece of his body, these connections became clearer and more lucid, like he could reach out and grab them, and yet his mind instinctively recoiled at the thought.

JOSHUA's connection to DECARABIA +6 has deepened! JOSHUA has begun to awaken to the arcane nature of the world, but lacks understanding. 2d6+2: 9 [2d6=4, 3]

Fallen Decarabia

It was close. It could sense it, almost taste what was coming. Horrid laughter echoed through the concrete walls of the elevator shaft, as it made its way to the bottom. It could feel the tug of Joshua's feeble attempts at understanding, and so it would attempt to further this attempt with its own 'guidance'. It tapped into the part of him that it had contributed, and focused its own considerable arcane power through it.

DECARABIA +6 attempts to further the connection and aid in JOSHUA's attempt, if just to make him stop thinking so hard about it. 2d6+6: 14 [2d6=4, 4]

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joshua Whittaker - Halfway down the elevator shaft

Decarabia could smell its prey through the hardened metal door. The sickly sweet scent of corpse candles and venality which stained the very soul of lesser Summoners was so ripe that it could almost taste the soon-to-be-damned Devil Summoner on its nonexistent tongue. Its current contract had more rules and provisions than usual, hard ones which bound it in ways that it wasn't quite sure how to test but if the human was stupid enough to keep scratching at the walls which kept their two souls apart that was none of Decarabia's concern. Through the link to the lesser eye it pushed back at the next feeble scratching, hard.

He wasn't sure what to expect but Joshua braced himself for blinding pain anyway and instead found anti-climatic unease settle into his gut. No, it wasn't anything specific or gut related per se. He just felt uncomfortable somehow, like he'd lost something intangible but still important like self esteem. The pistol wrapped itself further around his arm and he stopped partway down the elevator shaft as the sensation (tentacles! tentacles inside his body!) wound its way through him. The shaft began to glow and he looked down in worry. The glow intensified as Decarabia's muttering increased in pitch and frequency.

JOSHUA tries to awaken to the arcane nature of the world, DECARABIA helps! Roll was failure!
JOSHUA has fused further with DEMONIC GUN!
DECARABIA has detected the presence of a Devil Summoner who does things the old-fashioned way!
DECARABIA is going to fire a shot through the HARDENED DOOR next round unless convinced otherwise! This may not be a great idea for various reaons!

Shuusuke Takeda - East Street Subway exit

The duo worked their way through the streets, Shuusuke staying low and against walls and Wukong scouting overhead on streetlights and clinging against the edges of buildings. The rest of the city wasn't doing much better than the alley. After the initial panic of the morning car crashes, looting, and sporadic demon attacks had already begun to take their toll, and the mass bombing had destroyed several buildings in addition to knocking out most of the electronics. It was still summer so there was plenty of light but the shadows of the city were getting longer and everything inside was pitch black to completely dim, and either or both of those things would mean nothing good for Athena city's civilians.

There were other agencies and supernaturally aware groups of interest out there, some of which he could even grudgingly trust. Assuming they were still out there and hadn't been wiped out in the first and second attacks, he could at least count on being able to trade intel, bargain for help, and hopefully eke out enough time to lick his wounds. Wukong hurled himself off the streetlight, driving him to the side in time to avoid being smeared between the patrol car and the wall. A miniature mockery of the human form bared its teeth and gouged at the driver but turned to regard Shuusuke. It opened its mouth and wailed, almost infantile and plaintive if not for the horrible volume of its screeching and two howls of deeper pitch answered from down the street.

SHUUSUKE heads towards the stronghold of another ORGANIZATION OF OCCULT INTEREST (write one in or I'll fill it in)!
OUT OF CONTROL PATROLCAR +4 attacks SHUUSUKE!
SHUUSUKE defended with default +6 Occult Agent! SHUUSUKE dodged!
OUT OF CONTROL PATROLCAR has crashed against the wall and has a ??? DEMON stuck on the driver's side window! More might be coming!

Hank Settor - East and 3rd

Discretion was the better part of valor. He'd probably help if somebody needed it. Like if they asked for help or it was life and death or something, but people who were already dead and being mauled by zombies was none of his problem. Riding hell bent for leather down the streets with Shed lumbering behind, Hank was pretty sure that poo poo was hitting the fan everywhere. He paused to let the demon catch up and watched as a squad car took the corner, lights and sirens blazing, smashed into a parked car and dislodged two headless demons before taking off down the street to what he assumed was a godawful crash.

At least Shed was between him and the demons, which were still pretty far down the street. Something wailed in the distance and the two monsters roared in response as they writhed forward in his direction in jerky bursts.

HANK +4 rides like the wind to avoid conflicts on his way home! Roll was success!
SHEDDIM +4 follows!
Two ??? DEMONS have fallen off a cop car down the street from HANK when he's pretty close to home! They're moving pretty fast!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

The feeling of something gone missing that you had taken for granted up to that point was odd. It was like a reverse phantom limb, a hole that didn't exist inside you. Unfortunately, Joshua didn't have time for the kind of soul searching such a thing demanded, he had business to take care of. For now, that business was preventing Decarabia from doing something that would either kill him, Haley, or both. Waving his arms...well, one arm, the other wasn't quite cooperating and seemed to be a little limp at the moment. Something to do with the horrible nightmare flesh inside him slowly carving up his nerve endings, maybe. Anyway, waving his arm, he tried to flag down the nightmare monster he had unwittingly unleashed upon the world. "Listen, I know I haven't been able to get through to you on this, but we gotta slow down a second! Haley might be in there, and if you just blast up the place what's the point? We could have saved a whole trip downtown."

Huh. Was he honestly more concerned with the time he would have wasted if Haley was dead, than her actually being alive? No, of course not. He ignored that nagging thought.

JOSHUA loses a part of his EMPATHY, and attempts to use his Way With Words +4 to convince Decarabia to halt his attack...2d6+4: 11 [2d6=1, 6]

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joshua Whittaker - Halfway down the elevator shaft

Decarabia muttered something under its breath which rattled the confines of the shaft but seemed to assent. It glared at Joshua for a long moment as the hateful glow surrounding its body faded before turning to discharge a burst of red at the thick metal door. He flinched, expecting another blast but instead he found himself looking down to a softly melted door as oily smoke and ominous chanting floated up at him.

"...An that I call thee, Great Duke! Hail and abide by the swearing of thy name! Zepar!"

Ugh. It was Haley's creepy boss... Johnson? He had never learned the man's name but from what he'd heard from Haley and her work friends Johnson was the kind of guy who hung a little too close but never quite crossed a line he could get censured for. At the last Christmas party he'd worn one of those tchochke mistletoe sweaters and Joshua had come close to punching the guy. It was a long night of drinking and tacky Secret Santa presents and something about the way he looked at Haley had really rubbed Joshua raw. "Thou knoweth mine long held desire. Make it be so, by the terms of our agreement lest I buffet thee with the force granted me by my Master."

"Very well. Then so I command."

That had to be Zepar. The voice, resonant and smoky, shook some corner of Joshua's heart and filled him with uncomfortable thoughts. He wasn't sure which was worse, Decarabia's toxic booming or the insidious and sick feeling that Zepar's voice carried. Even numbed by blood loss and lack of caring his skin crawled with half remembered unpleasant sensations that the new demon seemed to embody just by existing.

JOSHUA uses his Way With Words +4 to convince DECARABIA to halt its attack! Roll was success, DECARABIA feels like listening since it went to all the trouble of flying across town anyway!
DECARABIA +6 breaks through the elevator door carefully and in a way that probably won't hurt anybody! Roll was great success! The door was destroyed in a way that nobody on the other side has noticed yet!
JOHNSON has completed his summoning ritual! GREAT DUKE ZEPAR has been summoned and bound!
GREAT DUKE ZEPAR satisfies JOHNSON's long held desire!
GREAT DUKE ZEPAR is pretty awful in its own way even from this distance!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

'This is it, Joshua', he thought to himself as he descended down into the room, along with his now somewhat pacified demon companion. Of course it had to be him that had her. Crazy demon poo poo goes down and he takes the opportunity to try and take Haley by force. He wasn't expecting company, though. He took a few deep breaths, the pulsing of his arm and Decarabia syncing up as his thoughts began to coalesce. Yes, he had hated him, and even maybe a couple of times had slipped into hypothetical payback fantasies, but now, he was different. Now he was thinking of how he was going to make him pay, and it was getting increasingly sociopathic.

He gestured to Decarabia, giving him a glance towards the newly summoned Zepar, as he slammed his demonic hand into the wall to get the man's attention.

"Where is she, Johnson. You have about two seconds to answer before I turn you and your garbage demon into a pile of dust. Oh, whoops, two seconds are up." His hand reached up, as the barrel of the demonic gun emerged from his flesh and pointed towards Johnson's ugly mug.

JOSHUA uses Way With Words +4 to threaten JOHNSON, backed up by his Fused With Demonic Gun +2 2d6+6: 11 [2d6=3, 2]

Fallen Decarabia

On his master's gesture, along with his own natural impulse, Decarabia's eye turned to Zepar. A worthless interloper of lesser rank, he could only feel a sense of disgust towards the fellow demon. As long as the Great Marquis existed in this plane, no pretenders could be allowed to steal his rightful claim. A battle of demonic proportions would soon begin, as the opening blow was quickly struck as Decarabia unleashed a focused blast of deadly fire to incinerate his enemy.

[i]DECARABIA +6 attacks GREAT DUKE ZEPAR with AGIDYNE 2d6+6: 13 [2d6=6, 1]

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joshua Whittaker - Summoning Chamber

"Joshua?"

One of the hooded figures stood up at the sound of Joshua's voice but all of them flinched and ducked away from his angry outburst. Split between cowering from the pistol and looking to their goathorn crowned leader, they found him ducking himself behind the sacrificial altar.

"H-Haley! Save me!"

"Joshua? How'd you get here? Why aren't you at the school?" That was definitely Haley. She pushed back the thick hood and stared at him in confusion. "Is that a gun?"

"Who is your Magister, knave? Any fool would know that this is this building is under the protection of the Wise Master of the Blue himself. Surrender yourself and your paltry demon or face the consequences of the Grand Maguses bile!"

Decarabia chose that moment to fire, unleashing an explosive burst straight at the other demon dominating the center of the room. The spell smashed against an invisible wall of force, leaving the grinning Zepar untouched. Did the ominous pressure in the room just weaken slightly? Seeing that Decarabia's attack failed and that Joshua wasn't going to shoot, Johnson caught a second wind and stood (safely behind) from the altar and brandished his wrist where a double goat's head tattoo glowed.

"Wretched cur! My master will with curses most vile! Boils with infest your organs, weeping, pustulent torment will be your every organ! Bow to me and beg for mercy or I shall call down the wrath of Hell!"

JOSHUA uses Way With Words +4 to threaten JOHNSON, backed up by his Fused With Demonic Gun +2! JOHNSON defends with +4 Executive Middle Manager, +2 Hidden Cultist, +2 Marked by Demonic Pact!
Defense was success!
ROBED CULTISTS are on the fence about how to react! They're kind of scared!
DECARABIA +6 attacks GREAT DUKE ZEPAR with AGIDYNE! Roll was success! ??? SEAL OF SOLOMON has taken (2) -4 ranks of damage! GREAT DUKE ZEPAR has taken no damage!
JOHNSON attacks JOSHUA in a social attack, intimidating him with +2 Hidden Cultist, +2 Marked by Demonic Pact! (9)
GREAT DUKE ZEPAR doesn't do anything!

Ziva Tavernier - Hi-rise apartment

So the power was definitely out. gently caress. Everything in the apartment except the DDD was dead, and without the AC Ziva's cosy shitbox of an apartment was pretty bad. She sucked on the last freezie pop and looked over her belongings again. 1 dead (mostly trashed) backup power supply, 1 (completely trashed) but expensive laptop, 1 set of screwdrivers, pliers, and miscellaneous computer repair tools, and finally a halfhearted effort at a bugout bag with some spare clothes and a few packs of ramen she'd found in the back of a cupboard. Oh and a ratty old toothbrush. Not exactly the best in doomsday prep. From her apartment Ziva had seen several explosions hit the city, at least two bright lights that she'd had the sense not to stare into which went off right before the lights went out. Wasn't the effective range on EMP bombs pretty short and crappy? She vaguely remembered a Discovery Channel special on... the Cold War? Life after man? One of those things.

Eh. She had more important things to worry about than death by possible radiation poisoning. For one thing she was 100% sure that there were zombies (or some other kind of horrible monster) inside her building. Looking out on the streets it was obvious that the police, fire department, or FBI were sure as hell busy everywhere else and the oddly silent shuffling which kept up and down her hall was definitely a Really Bad Thing. Twice now in the last couple hours it had stopped right in front of her door and even the Mothman had been cowed into silence by whatever was on the other side. At least the screaming was over and done with. She tried not to think about it.

ZIVA is locked securely inside her HI-RISE APARTMENT! It's pretty high up!
Most of ZIVA's belongings have been mostly destroyed by MOTHMAN!
SOMETHING HORRIBLE keeps shuffling down the hall outside the apartment!
It's a hot summer night and it's getting pretty hot!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

This was going to be more of a hassle than he imagined, as he looked across the room. He took a moment mentally to assess the situation. One, Johnson had made a literal deal with the devil, for some purpose that involved Haley. Two, the devil had some kind of way of resisting Decarabia's attacks, but it seemed to be weakening. Third, the room was full of scared cultists, Haley among them. It was a lot to wrap his head around, but it seemed to coalesce faster now, as if something was helping him offload his thinking.

He kept his handgun(hahaha) on Johnson as he hid behind his altar, while he allowed Decarabia to focus on Zepar. "Is that supposed to scare me? Do you have any idea how screwed up my day has been? My own students tried to kill me earlier!" Maybe the old him might have been worried about those kinds of things, but after today, a man with a weird tattoo and an even weirder cult wasn't going to bother him. Without another word, and not giving him a chance to duck for cover, Joshua focused and fired a shot from the gun in his hand, aiming right at the tattoo on his arm. He had no idea what it might accomplish, but right now it felt good. "I've been waiting a long time to wipe that smug look off your face, Johnson."

Looking to Haley, the robe was throwing him a little, but he maintained his composure. "Really? I bust in here with a demon, and you're worried about the gun? By the way, school's out, on account of the living dead. I rushed over here on my new friend to find you, and...what, you're into this weird crap?" Great, she was involved, and that meant this wasn't going to be some heroic rescue. He felt stupid for even thinking that was how things would go down. He wasn't the hero, he was just some loser who got lucky, both in his love life and his post-apocalyptic choice of demon. Doesn't matter. He'd drag her out of here either way.

He turned to glance at the other cultists now. "As for whatever the hell you're talking about, I don't have a Magister or know what the hell a Great Master is. I'm just a teacher who got pulled into this poo poo by accident. I've fought zombies and demon cops to get here, and I even got SHOT, so before any of you cowardly fucks think of interfering, I'll let you know that I am ALREADY VERY loving FED UP WITH THIS BUSINESS!"

JOSHUA defends from JOHNSON's Intimidate with Way With Words +4! 2d6+4: 16 [2d6=6, 6]
JOSHUA fires on JOHNSON, attempting to DISARM him and possibly break his control. 2d6+2: 11 [2d6=4, 5]

Fallen Decarabia

Decarabia pulses angrily, spinning in place as it stared it's opponent down. A lowly Great Duke dared to oppose his will. Its great eye darted across the room to the cultists. Pathetic. They would all burn before this was done, for not immediately bowing to his greater power. The ground below it began to combust, the light of the flames casting a great and looming shadow behind it as it boomed out in a terrifying voice.

"ZEPAR, YOU BETRAY YOUR STATION IN OPPOSING YOUR BETTER. YOU ALL BETRAY YOUR SOULS TO DESTRUCTION. ONCE I HAVE DESTROYED YOUR MASTER AND THIS LOWLY DUKE, I WILL SCATTER YOUR ASHES ACROSS THIS WRETCHED PLANE"

With that, another blast issued forth from Decarabia, just as powerful as the last, but this time with a bit more visual umphf to it. It emitted as a massive beam from his great yellow eye, striking against the invisible shield with the intent to shatter it and send the cultists fleeing like rats.

DECARABIA +6 casts Agidyne, but this time with more visual flair, to try and intimidate the humans in the room. 2d6+6: 13 [2d6=1, 6

Juchero fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 18, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Discretion was the better part of valor. He'd probably help if somebody needed it. Like if they asked for help or it was life and death or something, but people who were already dead and being mauled by zombies was none of his problem. Riding hell bent for leather down the streets with Shed lumbering behind, Hank was pretty sure that poo poo was hitting the fan everywhere. He paused to let the demon catch up and watched as a squad car took the corner, lights and sirens blazing, smashed into a parked car and dislodged two headless demons before taking off down the street to what he assumed was a godawful crash.

At least Shed was between him and the demons, which were still pretty far down the street. Something wailed in the distance and the two monsters roared in response as they writhed forward in his direction in jerky bursts.

HANK +4 rides like the wind to avoid conflicts on his way home! Roll was success!
SHEDDIM +4 follows!
Two ??? DEMONS have fallen off a cop car down the street from HANK when he's pretty close to home! They're moving pretty fast!

"Well, gently caress" Hank thought as the headless things bounced across the street. He hopped off the bike as quickly as he could and shouted to his partner to 'light 'em up.' Shed gave a happy little bellow and sparks went flying as that massive fist suckered the first No-Head in its stomach. The second tried to skid to a stop, but bounced off the wall first. Hank got a kick in while it was down, but decided to go ahead and use the frame of his bike to block the follow-up shot. He heard a squishing noise, and saw flashing lightning in the corner of his eye as Massive Mister Shed did 'his thing' on No-Head Number 1.

"Wanna swap, Shed? Mine's still got some fight in him!" he panted as the mangled steel tubes turned aside another blow.

Shed +4 goes on the offense on the first demon, while Athletic +4 defends against the second.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ziva Tavernier - Hi-rise apartment

So the power was definitely out. gently caress. Everything in the apartment except the DDD was dead, and without the AC Ziva's cosy shitbox of an apartment was pretty bad. She sucked on the last freezie pop and looked over her belongings again. 1 dead (mostly trashed) backup power supply, 1 (completely trashed) but expensive laptop, 1 set of screwdrivers, pliers, and miscellaneous computer repair tools, and finally a halfhearted effort at a bugout bag with some spare clothes and a few packs of ramen she'd found in the back of a cupboard. Oh and a ratty old toothbrush. Not exactly the best in doomsday prep. From her apartment Ziva had seen several explosions hit the city, at least two bright lights that she'd had the sense not to stare into which went off right before the lights went out. Wasn't the effective range on EMP bombs pretty short and crappy? She vaguely remembered a Discovery Channel special on... the Cold War? Life after man? One of those things.

Eh. She had more important things to worry about than death by possible radiation poisoning. For one thing she was 100% sure that there were zombies (or some other kind of horrible monster) inside her building. Looking out on the streets it was obvious that the police, fire department, or FBI were sure as hell busy everywhere else and the oddly silent shuffling which kept up and down her hall was definitely a Really Bad Thing. Twice now in the last couple hours it had stopped right in front of her door and even the Mothman had been cowed into silence by whatever was on the other side. At least the screaming was over and done with. She tried not to think about it.

ZIVA is locked securely inside her HI-RISE APARTMENT! It's pretty high up!
Most of ZIVA's belongings have been mostly destroyed by MOTHMAN!
SOMETHING HORRIBLE keeps shuffling down the hall outside the apartment!
It's a hot summer night and it's getting pretty hot!

Well.

Since ramen of ancient and mysterious provenance did not make for sustainable living, Ziva went to do the sensible thing, namely shoving the remains of her laptop, the rest of her tools, and what cash (cards were for suckers and also idiots) she could scrounge up from beneath mattresses and couch cushions into her 'welp, the feds are here' bag. After a moment's contemplation, she also grabbed a nice sturdy (though jagged) board from what had once been her bookshelf. She'd sort through the books later, maybe, but now was probably not the best time.

"Hey, Mothman," she called to the demon, who had been sitting by the door, wings droopy, and staring into infinity ever since she'd slapped the DDD back together again. "We'd better bail soon, unless you want to get a nice peek at whatever axe murderer's out there. Unless you want to go all chainsaw on it?"

code:
zz rUfUrm whalt a.u.k. vege?
Mothman turned to face Ziva without moving any part of its body but its head. Ziva noted, absently, that a) she still had no idea what the drat thing was saying, b) at least he was responding to her again, and c) holy gently caress that was some creepy poo poo. Still, progress. Kinda.

"Yeah, same to you, buddy," she continued, giving the apartment one last onceover before going to the window in her bedroom and attempting to pry it open. "So, here's what we're going to do. We're going to say gently caress that thing out there and find a different route. And that different route is..." With one more grunt of effort, the window screeched open - not far, but enough for Ziva to wiggle out if she shoved the loving feds bag out first. "the fire escape! I kept telling my landlord that he needed to keep it fixed, but I don't know if he actually did anything about it, so be careful." She paused. "Also, I think he thinks I'm a druggie." She wiggled the bag through the somewhat open window, motioned for Mothman to follow, and squeezed herself through as well.

It took the better part of an hour to get both herself and Mothman out onto the fire escape, and it was still a long way down. Ziva tested the stairs in front of her with the beat-up piece of bookshelf, took a deep breath, and started climbing down.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"Ah gently caress!"
"Jesus!"
"Don't shoot! I surrender!"
"Aaaah!"

"JOSHUA WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!?"

The cultists scattered in the wake of Joshua's gun fire, begging for mercy or cowering to a man except for one. Haley threw out her arms and shouted at him despite her ringing ears and the shock of the shot.

"It's just a stupid roleplaying thing that Michael's really into! We're helping him practice his scene for his group later while we wait for the all clear alarm to sound you loving PSYCHO! What the hell is wrong with you to break in here and shoot my boss!?" "My hand! My hand!"

Wailing as if on cue, Johnson clutched at the bloodied stump of his hand. Joshua noted dispassionately and with satisfaction that somehow the single bullet had blown off everything from the glowing mark on up. It felt good. At least now they matched, mostly. Curled into a ball on the ground around his bleeding stump, it was clear that the other man was down for the count but before he could celebrate or gloat Haley ran to his side.

"Oh my god his hand! You shot off his hand! Helen, page security! Call an ambulance!" One of the other cultists (who he now recognized as Haley's work friend) ran to the phone on the wall and flicked the buttons in a panic. "They're not answering! Nothing's working! Oh god what do we do?"

"Joshua please don't shoot me, I've always liked you!"
"Do you need drugs? I have drugs! Cocaine, lots of cocaine and pills! All the pills you need!"

"Master! Quickly now! Command me! I can still save you!"

Decarabia's beam flashed harmlessly against the invisible wall, but with both demons booming and unctuously speaking the room filled with discomfort and unease. Zepar leaned forward in anticipation, hands clutching at a heavy sword which had somehow manifested itself before him. "Say the word and I can strike down your foe and make all wounds wealed! Say it! Speak it now!"

JOHNSON defends with +2 Hidden Cultist, +2 Marked by Demonic Pact! Roll was failure! JOHNSON takes 5 (-10) ranks of damage! JOHNSON lost all traits, could not continue! JOHNSON's loss of +2 Marked by Demonic Pact has been severely effected by being shot with the DEMONIC GUN!
DECARABIA attacks GREAT DUKE ZEPAR, doing so in a flashier manner which should intimidate the other humans in the room! Roll was failure! GREAT DUKE ZEPAR and SEAL OF SOLOMON have taken no damage!
GREAT DUKE ZEPAR shouts for JOHNSON to give him orders! GREAT DUKE ZEPAR offers to heal JOHNSON and destroy his foes!
The combination of both DECARABIA and GREAT DUKE ZEPAR speaking at the same time is pretty disconcerting!
CULTISTS have decided to surrender and may be panicked next round!

Even out of the corner of his eye whatever Shed did was blinding. Hank dodged back from the headless monster and spared a glance at the smear of grease and black smoke that was all that remained of the first one. His bike bounced off harmlessly but had left the thing facing him momentarily tangled in the frame and headset. He mused that reinforced titanium really would have been a literal lifesaver after all when a long wailing howl came from up the street. It was the same sound from earlier only louder and much worse. The empty thing facing him shook with rage and renewed vigor. Did it just get bigger?

It howled, slowly building in volume and force as it coiled to strike at him again. Farther away more rose in synchronicity and ferocity of their own.

SHEDDIM +4 attacks EMPTY ONE #1 +2! Roll was success! EMPTY ONE #1 takes 3 (-6) ranks of damage and has dissipated into black smoke!
HANK +4 attacks EMPTY ONE #2 +2! Roll was failure! No damage was dealt!
EMPTY ONE #2 +2 attacks HANK +4! Roll was failure! No damage was dealt!
Somewhere up the street +??? EMPTY CHILD has begun wailing! EMPTY ONE #2 has been been enraged!
Howls from further away have begun!

Ziva Tavernier - Old Fire Escape

These things were mandated by state law or something right? Yeah that made sense probably. I mean when everybody lives in apartment buildings it's the only smart safe thing to do to make sure that fire escapes are regularly inspected and maintained in the interests of public safety or something. She'd never actually seen a fire escape inspection, and thinking on it fire escapes probably weren't mandated by state law since tons of apartments simply didn't have them. They were all over the place in Athena City but as to how actually safe they were she had no idea.

Taking her time and working carefully to get Mothman and her bag out of the apartment and down the stairs, Ziva worked with the assumption that it was probably most likely safe. She tested the rails in front of her with her board just in case. Although it took longer she had nothing but time. The late afternoon was dragging into evening and although there was plenty of panic and sirens in the distance whatever horrible thing was inside the building had no way of hearing what was going on completely outside of the building and she was almost down before she came face to face with one of her neighbors.

"Hey!" The old woman gaped in surprise and immediately began shouting and banging against the window which separated them. "Hey! I need help! Please you've got to help me, help me get out!" She tugged at the window but the old fire escape but other than shaking the frame didn't budge it a bit. "It's on the other side of my door and it's trying to get in!"

ZIVA squeezes herself and MOTHMAN out the window and down the OLD FIRE ESCAPE with +2 Indomitable Spirit! It's pretty old and rickety but this doesn't need a roll because she takes her time and is pretty careful!
It does however make a good amount of noise and attracts the attention of OLD LADY! OLD LADY really could do with some help!
Her FIRE ESCAPE WINDOW is not up to code and may be rusted or painted shut!
Something is on the other side of her door and is trying to get in!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

This felt good.

All these high and mighty, high power lawyers and executives were begging him for mercy, and it felt good. Maybe the Joshua of this morning might have felt a little disconcerted at this, but the Joshua of right now was enjoying the hell out of it. What he wasn't enjoying was Haley's reaction. Roleplaying? Scene? Was she seeing the same thing everyone else was? It was pissing him off, seeing her tending to the man who he had just violently dismembered. Looking at Decarabia, who was in the middle of an intense staring match, he came up with a plan of action.

First off, he looked to the cultists who were offering him things in exchange for mercy. "Alcohol. Get me whatever you have, and maybe you get out of here alive. Turning back to Haley, he walked over to her, and grabbed her by the wrist to pull her away from Johnson. "This isn't a loving scene, it's not roleplaying, this is real, Haley. See those two terrifying things over there? The one with the big eye is mine. His...er, it's name is Decarabia, and it serves me." Dragging her back towards the door, he ignored her attempts to pull herself free, even as she fought him. His hand felt strong now, not like it had been before, now it was made of sterner stuff, as the demonic flesh pulsed eerily. Looking at the Great Duke, he was worried that his claim was true, and knew that Johnson was still a threat as long as he was breathing. That wouldn't do.

"Outside this building, hell, inside too, there are things like this running around and killing people. Apparently it's the end of the world, who knew?" He grinned, as he gave a nod to Decarabia.

Fallen Decarabia

Decarabia's hatred was palpable, the room heating up as it grew more and more impatient to destroy this pretender. However, it understood that, without its master, it was no longer bound by contract. Once Haley was a safe distance away, Decarabia unleashed a hellish blast of flames upon the helpless Johnson, intending to leave nothing but ash in his place.

DECARABIA +6 uses the flames of hell to INCINERATE JOHNSON(target helpless, no roll needed)

Joshua Whittaker

"Now, Haley, I'm here because I'm the only one who can keep you safe now, me and the Grand Marquis of Hell. Either you leave with me now, or I'm going to drag you out by force." Yes, he still loved her, despite his loss of empathy. Maybe he loved her differently now, but he still cared about her safety. It was for her own good. Once she was safe, maybe they could ride this thing out.

JOSHUA attempts to convince Haley to leave of her own accord, but is ready to do so by force!2d6+4: 6 [2d6=1, 1]oh geez

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ziva Tavernier

Of all the people she had to run into, Ms. Powell was pretty low on the list. Not that they didn't get along, per se - they nodded at each other in the hallway, Ms. Powell tried to show her pictures of her dear grandnieces and grandnephews, Ziva politely declined to see pictures of her grandnieces and grandnephews because the one time she had she'd been stuck on the landing leading up to her apartment, with thirty pounds of groceries cutting off circulation to her arms, while she nodded along politely and agreed that yes, little Jackson certainly had very cute eyes and his father's big hands. For an hour and a half. You know, as apartment neighbors do.

But still, Ms. Powell was better than, say, an axe murderer, and she clearly needed help, so... Ziva nodded, immediately switching into what she liked to call her 'authority' voice. "All right, Ms. Powell. I know it's scary right now, but you'll be just fine if you stay calm and follow my directions. See this guy here?" Mothman waved a wing and chirped. "He may look kind of strange, but he's harmless." Mostly harmless, she corrected to herself, and then continued. "And he's going to help you get out of here, okay? For now, I need you to do one thing for me. You can do that, right? I need you to move away from your window and take cover. We're going to try and get it open, all right? It might make a bit of a mess, but we'll get you out nice and safe." People, she knew, tended to put their trust in people who sounded confident and in control, and the very last thing Ziva wanted was a hysterical old lady on her hands.

As soon as Ms. Powell showed signs of getting the heck out of the way, she nodded to Mothman, who promptly smashed his whole body into it.

ZIVA attempts to persuade the OLD LADY with SOCIAL ENGINEERING! 2d6+2 = 4, GODDAMMIT

MOTHMAN +4 attempts to destroy the window! 2d6+4=14

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"Michael!"

Haley fell to the floor sobbing and a part of him wondered if he'd ever seen her this upset. Would she have made that face for him if he was the one toasting into a contorted briquette? It was clear she didn't understand the full importance of the situation, how important he was now that the city had descended into the Apocalypse.

"18 year old Scotch my lord, there's more upstairs. Thousand dollar bottles in a special wine fridge they keep for celebrating big contracts. I can show you where!"

Then there was this guy. Another rear end in a top hat whose name he didn't remember (Mendel? Wendell?), the attorney currently groveling in front of him was one of those smug elitist assholes who wouldn't (and hadn't) given him the time of day. The entire latter half of that Christmas party had been a bit of an angry haze but Joshua distinctly remembered someone murmuring that retardedly wrong adage "Those who can, do. Those who can't teach." and quiet tittering from the gallery. At least he knew to serve it neat. Joshua took the drink in one hand and grabbed at Haley with the other, pulling her a little too roughly. She didn't respond so he grabbed her more forcefully but she pulled back, knocking them both off balance as she stood her ground.

"I'm not going anywhere you murderer."

"Poaching what was promised as mine, I do not approve but will withhold my protest." The demon began to fade and wither into black smoke but as Joshua met its eyes Zepar's gaze flickered towards the other side of the room. The altar? "Call me again later once you've learned that not all problems can be solved with the same fiery hammer." He looked back after an instant and found the demon vanished, the circle empty, and the tension suddenly fled from the room. Well, aside from imminent argument hanging pregnant between him and Haley. She had that look in her eye.

JOSHUA attempts to convince HALEY to leave of her own accord, but is ready to do so by force! HALEY resists with +6 Spunky Female Attorney, defense was success! HALEY is pretty angry!
DECARABIA +6 uses the flames of hell to INCINERATE JOHNSON(target helpless, no roll needed)
GREAT DUKE ZEPAR has voluntarily left!

Ziva Tavernier - Old Fire Escape

"What? I don't understand what you're-"

"gWEilO!" Ms. Powell fell back shrieking as Mothman smashed threw himself threw the window. She scrambled towards her door but half stumbled as her arms gave out beneath her, succeeding in only jostling the knob as she flailed desperately in a bid to escape. Wait, didn't she say there was something outside her apartment trying to get in?

ZIVA attempts to persuade MS POWELL with Social Engineering +2, roll was failure!
MOTHMAN +4 attempts to destroy the window! Roll was success!
MS POWELL is in a state of panic! MS POWELL has backed away from the window towards the door and is attempting to flee! MS POWELL was hindered by her trait -4 Old and Doddering! Roll was failure!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Joshua Whittaker

It all made sense now. Between her grieving and her refusal to do the ONLY logical thing and come with him to safety, he understood completely. The scotch helped, of course, soothing his nerves amazingly as he downed the glass in moments, more interested in the properties of the alcohol than its ultra smooth profile. Grabbing the bottle from the supplicant at his feet, he took a big healthy swig, knowing he could have never even afforded something this good in his 'previous' life. Maybe the end of the world wasn't so bad. As he looked to Haley, her eyes alight with anger, he only grinned, scotch dripping from his chin before he wiped it away. "You cheating whore. I loving...I should have loving known, back at that stupid Christmas party, there was something going on between you two." All his suspicions, all his self-loathing suspicions confirmed. Of course she was only out for herself, why wouldn't she shack up with the boss with the expensive liquor and the secret demon cult?

He turned his attention away from her as he looked at W/Mendell. "Instead of showing me, why don't you bust your rear end and get me those bottles down here before I have my demon turn YOU into ash next?" He looked to the rest of them. "You want someone to tell you sheep what to do? Here's your new job, keep this ungrateful bitch safe until I return. You should be safe enough down here, right? So make sure she doesn't leave, because if she does, I'm going to roast all of you, got it? You serve me now, and disloyalty will be PUNISHED." It felt good to be in charge for once. Back to Haley, he gave a scolding look. "We could have been happy. Maybe not rich, but happy. Now, you're going to stay here like a good little cheater and maybe, MAYBE, once I make sense of this nightmare, I'll come back and think about forgiving you." He felt in control, not thinking of any other possibilities. There was power in absolute, unblinking certainty.

"Decarabia, seal this room when we leave. Then get us out of here, we've wasted enough time already." The words of the Duke rang in his ears. Maybe he would come in handy one day, but his tone had stung. He wasn't a stupid man...maybe he had been a little more direct in solving his problems but...no, he was right. He had power, he had to use it intelligently, not like some brute. He felt far more shame at being rebuked by the demon than anything involving his now EX-GIRLFRIEND. As Mendell arrived with his liquor, he grabbed the artfully designed box they were contained in, gave him a wave, and headed out the way he came in.

JOSHUA makes his will known to the scared and confused CULTISTS, attempts to recruit them as his own with Way With Words +4. Applying for Upshift based on circumstances! 2d6+6: 15 [2d6=4, 5]

Fallen Decarabia

Yes. Yes, this one was doing far better without his empathy, such a pointless weakness to carry around. As they left the room, it chanted words in an alien and incomprehensible tongue, as a wall of force applied itself over the hole he had made in the entrance. He had imagined he was nothing but a spineless dope who had lucked into his position, but he was proving himself to be a worthy master. He was willing to kill, and that was the true measure of his nature. Oh how he had lied to himself before, but now the truth was out. It let out a throaty cackle as it picked him up onto his back, and sped out of the building, heading back up the elevator shaft and smashing out a window into the city at large. Where they would go now was up to Joshua.

DECARABIA +6 casts TETRAKARN as physical barrier! He takes JOSHUA up into the sky again to get a good view of the city!(basically, JOSHUA looks at the OVERWORLD MAP!) 2d6+6: 14 [2d6=4, 4]

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Hank Settor

"One down, and now it was a double-team." Hank though as he dropped his chin and put everything into the hit, while Shed did some sort of jumping flutter-kick. The other thought on Hank's mind was "What is that baby doing, and can I stop it?"

That makes it a [+8] vs this lonely chump empty one.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Joshua Whittaker - Skies above SSD Building

"Yessir, I'm on it right away!"

Wendell took off at a run, making surprisingly good time as he hauled rear end up the elevator shaft without a single look back.Yeah this would definitely work out. The attorneys of SS & D were to a man a bunch of pretentious, self-important, blue blooded sharks that Joshua could trust as far as he could throw but Decarabia could throw them as far as he needed them. Pretty drat far. "gently caress you! You lovely loving drunk psychopath murderer! Happy!? You killed him! Just get the gently caress out of here! gently caress off!" The other attorneys pulled at Haley, dragging her back mostly gently by the arms as she screamed and spat at him. In hindsight now it was pretty obvious that she'd cheated on him, but he could still afford to be the better person here. He still did love her after all, probably. "You should crawl into a bottle and die!"

Whatever else she had to say was lost in Decarabia's rumbling as the two of them shot up the shaft and out the nearest window to the skies above Athena City. Whatever. The cheating bitch could wait, after all the rear end he busted to get this far she could drat well wait for his leisure. Joshua was somebody now, his command of Decarabia giving him power and responsibilities that he had to leverage properly. If he didn't, who would?

Joshua thought of the speech he always gave the kids about Athena City's geological and political history. Carved from a larger peninsula by the last great glacial advance, Attica Island had been settled by idealists fleeing religious oppression in the late 17th century who wanted to build the proverbial shining city on the hill. The success of local shipping and farming had led to urban growth in leaps and bounds. Today the Five Boroughs (Cythera Island included) were dark in the early evening's wan summer light, with only the occasional fire lighting the city's streets. poo poo, there were a lot of buildings on fire. He didn't have binoculars or 20/20 vision but at a guess the ant-like figures in the distance clustering around the fires probably meant monsters. Lots of them. But much more troubling was the situation going on across the bay. How had the Army gotten set up so fast? He didn't know much about tanks outside of a historical context, but the sheer volume of tanks and attack helicopters (?!) massed across the ruins of bridge were pretty alarming. Were those missiles pointed at the city?

JOSHUA makes his will known to the scared and confused CULTISTS, attempts to recruit them as his own with Way With Words +4. JOSHUA received an Upshift based on circumstances! Roll was success! CULTISTS have been subdued!
ATHENA CITY is a large island connected to a smaller island comprised of five boroughs, CYTHERA ISLAND, IONIA, VERONA, RICHMOND, and ELEUSIS HEIGHTS! There are scattered fires and no lights on across the city! The BRIDGE has been destroyed! A significant military presence (helicopters, patrol boats and armed forces) have taken up a position across ATTICA BAY!

Two to one was so easy it was almost a joke. Hank shoved the headless thing off balance as Shed easily smashed it into the ground with a kick that broke concrete. In the adrenaline rush of the well executed maneuver he resisted the urge to high-five the Sheddim, which stepped its cloven hooves out of the smoky mess and sniffed at it gingerly. Whatever it found it seemed to like, as it took deep breaths of both Hank's kill and and its own. His phone buzzed but was drowned out by the howling of the demon still up the street. Its cries spiked sharply in intensity and the answering ones raised in distance did the same.

"Hrrgrlelkerl?"

Shed looked at him in inarticulate surprise (?), unsure of what to do next.

HANK and SHEDDIM +8 team attacks EMPTY ONE #2! Defense was failure! EMPTY ONE #2 takes 6 (-12) ranks of damage and has dissipated into black smoke!
SHEDDIM has collected the black smoke remaining after the battle! 58 $ouls have been added to HANK's balance!
+??? EMPTY CHILD's wailing has sharply increased in volume! Answering cries are increasing in volume and proximity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Joshua Whittaker - Skies above SSD Building

Two to one was so easy it was almost a joke. Hank shoved the headless thing off balance as Shed easily smashed it into the ground with a kick that broke concrete. In the adrenaline rush of the well executed maneuver he resisted the urge to high-five the Sheddim, which stepped its cloven hooves out of the smoky mess and sniffed at it gingerly. Whatever it found it seemed to like, as it took deep breaths of both Hank's kill and and its own. His phone buzzed but was drowned out by the howling of the demon still up the street. Its cries spiked sharply in intensity and the answering ones raised in distance did the same.

"Hrrgrlelkerl?"

Shed looked at him in inarticulate surprise (?), unsure of what to do next.

HANK and SHEDDIM +8 team attacks EMPTY ONE #2! Defense was failure! EMPTY ONE #2 takes 6 (-12) ranks of damage and has dissipated into black smoke!
SHEDDIM has collected the black smoke remaining after the battle! 58 $ouls have been added to HANK's balance!
+??? EMPTY CHILD's wailing has sharply increased in volume! Answering cries are increasing in volume and proximity!

"gently caress yeah buddy! Home is just around the block, but I want to punch something's head off right now. I know you want to, too."

He took a long, look at the mangled steel of his two thousand dollar steed.

"Also, maybe we can swing over to Geoff's place and see if he'd dead so I can use his bike?"

• Locked thread