Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
See that's what I was thinking but... microsoft. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Is it possible to tell whether or not aliases are being used rather than the primary smtp address for certain mailboxes?

I've got a bunch of mailboxes like new1@new.com new2@new.com etc with the aliases old1.old.com, old2.old.com. I'd like to know how many, if any, messages are still being sent to the old address.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Methanar posted:

Is it possible to tell whether or not aliases are being used rather than the primary smtp address for certain mailboxes?

I've got a bunch of mailboxes like new1@new.com new2@new.com etc with the aliases old1.old.com, old2.old.com. I'd like to know how many, if any, messages are still being sent to the old address.

You're going to want to look at message logs. If you have an appliance outside of your Exchange environment it may be easier to see there. Otherwise you'll need to look at the message tracking logs within Exchange. Exchange 2007 + you should be able to use powershell to get what you need.

Exchange 2010 (other versions should have similar):
Get-TransportServer | Get-MessageTrackingLog -ResultSize Unlimited | ? { $_.Recipients -like '*old.com*' } | select Recipients

Note: You'll likely want to limit the Get-MessageTrackingLog commandlet with -Start and -End parameters to make things a bit more efficient. Also Message tracking logs will only go back so far, depending on your message volume and disk space limits you may only have data going back as far as a week or so. To get a full picture you would need to run something once a week/month/whatever (or set up a scheduled task) to get a good feeling about whether or not the old domain is used.

If powershell isn't your thing there's a GUI that will search too, but in 2007/2010 you can only search one server at a time, not sure about 2013/2016.

If you're on O365 there's a GUI option for message tracking, not sure if you can remote powershell message logs in O365 though.

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 27, 2016

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
A terminated user had a series of [shared] calendar events, this wasn't known until after the user's mailbox had been deleted for around 60 days and a quarterly audit happened. We've restored the user's mailbox and imported the events into a resource mailbox, however users are receiving sync errors. I'm not sure if I need to add an x500 address to the resource mailbox, as a proxy address pretending to be the old user but the user object is long gone and not recoverable.

Any ideas?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

A terminated user had a series of [shared] calendar events, this wasn't known until after the user's mailbox had been deleted for around 60 days and a quarterly audit happened. We've restored the user's mailbox and imported the events into a resource mailbox, however users are receiving sync errors. I'm not sure if I need to add an x500 address to the resource mailbox, as a proxy address pretending to be the old user but the user object is long gone and not recoverable.

Any ideas?

Maybe have one of the users with the event send a decline and see if you get a NDR with the x500? Or, pop open one of the events with mfcmapi and look at the properties. Sorry, been away from Exchange since late last year.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
cross posting from the IT thread because I have no idea what's going on

Any of you guys great with exchange 2010? I'm getting an "email address not found" error when trying to send a test email to a known good internal address. They can email out, and if someone responds to that email it's fine, but sending them an email normally isn't working at all

so I'm still really not experienced enough with this stuff to know if I've done all the exchange basics, but here's where I'm at. We have 3 exchange servers; if I try to update OAB from under organizational configuration, I get an error saying the System Attendant Service is not running. However, that service is running on two of the three servers, and the one it isn't is the CAS server which if I understand correctly shouldn't have it running. It seems like the reason I can't find them is because they're not members of the global address list. I don't really want to start restarting our exchange servers but maybe that's a good next step?

e; I have restarted the service on both servers. The error is stating "the email address you entered couldn't be found

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What happens if the user emails themself, same thing?

Can you change the mailbox's primary smtp address to something else and alias the original name?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

What happens if the user emails themself, same thing?

Can you change the mailbox's primary smtp address to something else and alias the original name?

I'll try that first one and see what happens. For a test I made a brand new test account and emailed it, and it was emailed successfully. It seems to only be this user; this user was created roughly a week ago by someone else. I'll see if recreating their account works.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

I'll try that first one and see what happens. For a test I made a brand new test account and emailed it, and it was emailed successfully. It seems to only be this user; this user was created roughly a week ago by someone else. I'll see if recreating their account works.
Their autocomplete is pointing to the wrong email address.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I ended up resolving the issue, which ended up having less to do with Exchange and more to do with one of our domain controller. Thanks for all the suggestions :sun:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a question about Exchange Online, but in particular with EOP. I tried reading technet and couldn't really understand:

1. Are distribution lists protected by EOP? If so where does their "quarantine" go?

2. If I have a shared mailbox, and it's set to forward all email to someone else, will that person get all the "junk email" forwarded as well (and will that junk mail then show up in the user's junk email folder)?

I still miss Postini

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've got a question, and I'm not an exchange guy, but here it goes:

We have OWA 2013 and when opening an excel doc in web page view (and probably other documents) formatting is basically completely gone. Going with excel docs, grid lines are gone, cell fill colors are gone and a bunch of others stuff. How does OWA display this stuff? Is there a separate reporting tool (like WSUS uses) to display this stuff, and that needs to be updated/modified separately, or are the settings within OWA itself?

I don't have access to the exchange envrionment at all, but I'm trying to figure out what the easiest path to solving my problem is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a read of: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219437.aspx

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Some genius at my work has managed to royally gently caress up a bulk pst import and we have multiple confirmed cases of a user's pst getting imported into a different user's live mailbox. To make matters worse its been dumped into the root of the inbox so we can't go nuke an entire directory. I've been asked to try and script the cleanup and every time I think I've found a new clever way to use search-mailbox I come up with another caveat I can't account for. At a minimum I'm trying to at least determine the scope of the problem but even that is proving a challenge. Below is the script I've put together but I know it goes so far. It doesn't account for emails sent to distribution lists and the number of unique DL emails if added causes the search query to exceed the max size. Trying to dynamically enumerate the DLs a user is in currently(acknowledging this does nothing for historical DL membership) and then converting that into a search string procedurally for each user is also proving to be nightmare. To make all of this worse in every single search results CSV the recipients field is left blank so I don't even know what percentage of the results are caused by a bad import or just a bad query. I'd even accept to just know which ones were affected and then go into each manually at this point but I haven't even been able to achieve that yet. Anyone have any brilliant ideas on dealing with a hosed up pst import that doesn't involve just restoring from a backup which isn't an option here as the mailboxes are in 365? Confirming that I'm completely screwed would be fine too.

code:
$users = get-content C:\temp\users.txt | Get-Mailbox

ForEach ($user in $users) {

$smtp = $user.PrimarySmtpAddress

$Search = "NOT Participants:$SMTP AND Kind:Email"

Search-Mailbox -Identity $user.Identity -SearchQuery $Search -TargetMailbox discovery -TargetFolder pst -LogOnly -LogLevel full}

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Harry Lime posted:

Some genius at my work has managed to royally gently caress up a bulk pst import and we have multiple confirmed cases of a user's pst getting imported into a different user's live mailbox. To make matters worse its been dumped into the root of the inbox so we can't go nuke an entire directory.

How good are your backups and how fast can you get them?

e: Nvm, just noticed you said you're in O365. Have you at least got the mapping info they used to uplift PSTs into the wrong inboxes? Might be able to make some sort of content crawl that walks through the source PST and removes based on message IDs or somesuch. Have someone pick up a bottle of something harshly alcoholic for you either way.

AutoArgus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 18, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Exchange 2013. We have two different organizations on this setup, with separate domains. I need to set up email address policies to ensure that users in one org only get their accepted domain alias applied, but at first glance I can't find anything regarding how they're applied. Evaluate in order of priority, hit the first match, then stop? If no matches are found, then apply the default policy?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Exchange 2013. We have two different organizations on this setup, with separate domains. I need to set up email address policies to ensure that users in one org only get their accepted domain alias applied, but at first glance I can't find anything regarding how they're applied. Evaluate in order of priority, hit the first match, then stop? If no matches are found, then apply the default policy?

Email address policies are applied according to their priority. If you match the criteria of the policy that has the highest priority then that's the one that is applied. If you don't meet the criteria of the one with highest priority but meet the criteria of something below it then you will have the lower priority policy applied. If you don't meet the criteria for any of the email address policies you will have the default policy applied.

More info: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332339(v=exchg.141).aspx

Harry Lime posted:

Some genius at my work has managed to royally gently caress up a bulk pst import and we have multiple confirmed cases of a user's pst getting imported into a different user's live mailbox. To make matters worse its been dumped into the root of the inbox so we can't go nuke an entire directory.

Performing a mailbox search that filters only messages that should be removed will be difficult. You won't be able to get anything that was BCCd, group membership for both users would need to be calculated and only remove messages that were sent to a DL that only the user of the bad messages are in, etc. I think it will be easier and faster to use an alternative method.

Do you have access to the script that was used to import the PSTs? If so it may be easier to figure out which pst was imported to which mailbox and then use the EWS api to login to each mailbox and remove them based off message ID.

If you know exactly when the messages were uploaded you may be able to go off modification time as well but that's a little more risky. This can be done with the EWS api as well or by the users/admin logging into an Outlook client.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Will Styles posted:

Do you have access to the script that was used to import the PSTs? If so it may be easier to figure out which pst was imported to which mailbox and then use the EWS api to login to each mailbox and remove them based off message ID.

If you know exactly when the messages were uploaded you may be able to go off modification time as well but that's a little more risky. This can be done with the EWS api as well or by the users/admin logging into an Outlook client.

So do have the .csv that was used for the import, the other thing though that makes this super painful is it wasn't that jane.doe's pst was imported into john.smith's. The pst mapped to john.smith is also named john.smith, the root of this clusterfuck is that the export to pst were mishandled and some were named incorrectly or had the wrong data exported into them. So to anyone looking at the import .csv it looks like everything should have worked. I had started to look at EWS last night and I'll keep going down that path because I agree search-mailbox is a dead end at this point. Am I correct that with using message ID there is change both jane.doe and john.smith were both sent the same email and a potentially valid email would get removed as well?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Harry Lime posted:

Am I correct that with using message ID there is change both jane.doe and john.smith were both sent the same email and a potentially valid email would get removed as well?

There is that chance yes. You could add a check to make sure the mailbox you're removing from isn't a recipient of the message (or any DL membership isn't a recipient).

Alternatively if your internal MTA/HUB adds a "for john.smith" to a received header you can search based on that.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Came in this morning to try and get some work done, one of the EA's walked directly into my office in a panic that she had broken someone's mailbox.

She had sent out a meeting request and it was being duplicated on everyone's calendars. I finally got that all cleaned up, some several thousand instances of the meeting request, which seemed to be originating from one particular user's mailbox. I asked her to send it out again to him, but ask that he not accept the meeting on his mobile. Meeting request blew up again, several hundred duplicates, so I scrubbed those again. She's now sent it meeting request out to all users again sans the person in question and just put a placeholder meeting on his calendar.

I've seen this happen when using older versions of iOS but there was a patch that went out for that around 8.3. This particular user has an iPhone 6 with the 14A5297c build of iOS 10 Public Beta.

So just a heads up out there that this helpful 'feature' may be back :suicide:

Edit: Had my problem user upgrade their 3 devices to 14A5309d. No longer experiencing the issue, and nothing in the change logs. :iiam:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 20, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

We often have issues with our outlook calendars not matching our android device calendars. Invites accepted on phones don't always show up on desktop and vice versa.

I suspect this is because we're still on Exchange 2003, with its limited mobile support. Obviously I'm pushing to migrate to a newer version for other reasons, but right now this calendar sync issue is the only thing management is looking at and demanding be fixed.

Does this sound like something that should be resolved if we were using a modern version of Exchange? Or am I way off base here? I'd hate to do this whole migration only to get my rear end handed to me when calendar syncing still sucks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Considering Exchange 2003 was like the first implementation of ActiveSync, I would say that's your problem. And, you know, how it's 13 years old and the concept of a smartphone barely existed at the time. That being said, I've never heard of your specific issue. I just can't imagine spending time troubleshooting when you should be spending time updating. If management doesn't like that answer, I'd tell them to stop being cheap fucks, but that's just me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would suspect your issue lies between an Exchange 2003 issue and a garbage implementation of ActiveSync on affected devices.

Have you tried the Outlook app and do you get the same issues there?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

wa27 posted:

We often have issues with our outlook calendars not matching our android device calendars. Invites accepted on phones don't always show up on desktop and vice versa.

I suspect this is because we're still on Exchange 2003, with its limited mobile support. Obviously I'm pushing to migrate to a newer version for other reasons, but right now this calendar sync issue is the only thing management is looking at and demanding be fixed.

Does this sound like something that should be resolved if we were using a modern version of Exchange? Or am I way off base here? I'd hate to do this whole migration only to get my rear end handed to me when calendar syncing still sucks.

Upgrading Exchange 2003 may resolve your problem, but if it does the issue more likely lies with garbage implementation of activesync by the developer of the device. When a device queries the activesync web service it replies with supported versions (2.0/2.1 on Exchange 2003) and the device is supposed to use functions/calls etc. available for that version.

Be warned however, that I've seen these kinds of problems on more modern Exchange versions, and we've attributed this to user usage problems. Having 6+ devices active on your account or more than 2 or 3 delegates can cause weird things to happen with calendaring. We've had success with limiting the number of delegates and devices (particularly iOS) the user has.

From my experience, Outlook for mobile app is leaps and bounds better than native activesync clients, unfortunately it won't work with Exchange 2003. You should push for an upgrade and can use this calendar problem as the pushing mechanism.

Edit: vvv that's fair. I think I'm pessimistic about ActiveSync developers from years of dealing with these problems :smith:

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 26, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, let's be realistic when we talk about "garbage ActiveSync" clients. They're probably not testing against Exchange 2003 and I can't really say I blame them.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Goddamn, I wouldn't want to be the admin that still runs '03 and apple drops support for it on iOS.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Thanks for the opinions. I'm pushing to do an upgrade just because it's something that should be done regardless, but I was just worried that the answers here would be "Get used to it, that's just the way Exchange Activesync is."

Really the only problem I could duplicate reliably is when Person A sends a calendar invite from their phone and Person B accepts it on their phone, it will show up everywhere except Person B's phone calendar. This seemed to happen using both Touchdown and Nine android apps.

We have a pretty simple setup, without any delegates or extra devices thrown in the mix. Hopefully moving to newer Exchange and using the Outlook app will clear up those problems.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I'm working on ironing out a script that creates AD accounts, mailboxes and distribution lists for all of our company's active projects, based on the status in our accounting system. Accounting system creates a CSV every day, script does the rest. My aim is to make active projects, and basic info like the job number, address, and who's assigned to the job readily available without having to go into the accounting/construction software. The reason for the mailbox + distribution list is because I couldn't see a way to set up forwarding on a contact. Additionally, I asked around and it looks like having the functionality of being able to email whoever is on a project seemed like it might provide value. The mailboxes are set to forward to the dist. lists, which contain the project manager and supe on the job and are hidden from the GAL. Few questions on the subject:

1) You only need Exchange user CAL's for at most, the maximum number of employees with mailboxes, right? Shared, general use mailboxes, etc shouldn't matter, correct? I think that this is true, however I'd like to get some confirmation, considering we're talking about 250 CAL's and 800-900 new mailboxes. (they will see next to no use and are forwarding
2) On the subject of address lists, I wanted to clean up the address book so that it wouldn't open up to 900 jobs instead of actual people. Started poking around, and it looked like I should be able to combine a new address list for the jobs, paired with a new GAL with a recipient filter to filter out the jobs, paired with an address book policy to push those settings to the users. That seems to work fine. The sticking point appears to be that I don't see a way for the custom GAL to get included in the offline address book. In the offline address book settings, it gives you the option to include the default Global Address list. Does this mean the actual "Default Global Address List" or the GAL defined in the address book policy? Talk about ambiguous. Just trying to figure out the best way to keep the GAL clean.
3) I was really hoping that this would provide the ability for people to look up job information from their phone so that if you need to change your plans while out in the field, you could look up the address of a job from your phone. From what I can tell, at least from the phones I've tried, I have yet to see an instance where any of the address fields are shown when pulling the contact through activesync. Only when you use outlook to add the "person" as a contact do the fields map correctly. If anyone can shed any insight on that, that'd be nice. If there's any way to get that working, it'd be huge.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CALs are for users so you don't need them for DLs.

It sounds like you're trying to turn Exchange into a sort of CRM, I think you should re-assess that before you paint yourself into a corner and end up with something that can never be upgraded because some old phones rely on an ActiveSync quirk or whatever.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

We have a teacher who is trying to use her iPhone to send messages to a contact group she has created in Outlook 2013, but I cannot figure out how to make that contact group accessible to her through either the iPhone's Mail app or the Outlook app for iOS. The contact group appears to be saved locally on her PC; is there any way to sync that group to her Office 365 account so it is accessible on other devices? Thanks.

e: Just accessed her account through the web interface and the group appears there, so it is in fact in the cloud. Still can't get her phone to see it, though.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 28, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Does it work through the outlook ios app?

E: I've dropped iOS mail like a bad habit (still sync calendar, contacts, and e:notes), consider the change.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 28, 2016

Weedle
May 31, 2006

incoherent posted:

Does it work through the outlook ios app?

E: I've dropped iOS mail like a bad habit (still sync calendar, contacts, and mail), consider the change.

It doesn't. "Install Outlook" is my #1 solution for users struggling with Mail.app, but it doesn't appear to support contact groups at all.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress galsync. That is all.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Weedle posted:

It doesn't. "Install Outlook" is my #1 solution for users struggling with Mail.app, but it doesn't appear to support contact groups at all.

Found out this is synced with o365\exchange, but only exposed via EWS not ActiveSync. Sooooooo.......how is the o365 OWA in terms of quality on safari?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly ActiveSync is a bit of a piece of poo poo on most of the platforms that people want to use. I'm sure there's a good implementation somewhere but I've not found it yet.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

incoherent posted:

Found out this is synced with o365\exchange, but only exposed via EWS not ActiveSync. Sooooooo.......how is the o365 OWA in terms of quality on safari?

Good enough that I ended up just giving her a home screen shortcut to it. loving Microsoft though, seriously.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to export .psts using New-MailboxExportRequest, but it doesn't look like I can tell it to export mail before a certain date. For the following command, I just get a 265KB .pst with nothing but undeliverable messages in it:
code:
New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter {(Received -lt '01/01/2016')} -Mailbox mailuser -FilePath "\\server\share\test.pst" -Name "test"
I've tried to change the ContentFilter to {(Received -gt '01/01/2000') -and (Received -lt '01/01/2016')} and I've tried double quotes and -le and adding hour:minute:second and it doesn't want to work. Making it {(Received -gt '01/01/2016')} works fine, but how do I get the inverse? Is it even possible?

e: actually, it is working, and it's not pulling anything because I'm testing my own mailbox and I wasn't an employee here before 2016. mondays, am I right~

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 15, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did the same when I was confused why my auto archive after 2 years rule wasn't working. Had been in the job for 18 months.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

We have a bunch of poo poo that is, like, sometimes a shared mailbox, and sometimes a mailbox at group@domain.com which does a redirect to a distribution list at group_DL@domain.com. Except the group_DL doesn't accept external mail, so guess what happens when we put group@domain.com on our marketing crap.
It's two and a half months later, we're planning to do our Office 365 cutover migration next weekend, and my boss is looking at our bullshit forwarding rules, because he didn't want to deal with it over the past two and a half months. One of the ones he found was a mailbox that has a forwarding rule to a DL, of which it is also a member. If you thought that this might be because the forwarding rule was set to not keep a copy of the forwarded mail in their inbox, you would be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I am planning migration of my exchange environment(s) to a new datacenter. In general I'm comfortable with the process, smtp flow is documented, etc, especially since we have nlbs for CAS. The dags however, I'm not sure how to make happen - I can't find any good documentation on adding/moving a dag member to a different site.

Exchange 2013: 3 mailbox servers in a dag, 2 in production and 1 in dr. No witness.

Exchange 2010: 2 mailbox servers in a dag. Fileshare witness.

My thought was to add the new colo IP address to the DAG, suspend the inactive member, migrate it, and once online and replication is happy, make it active and do the same to the secondary node. That's the theory, but in execution I'm a little iffy on the whole dag/cluster IP portion of it.

Has anyone done something like this?

Alternatively I could stand up two new mailbox servers in the new site, join them to the DAG, and decommission the old ones, but that's a good bit more work than just migrating the servers.