Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Fuuuuck, Michael Cimino died. I'm going to have to finally buy the Heaven's Gate Blu-Ray now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

HP Hovercraft posted:

Fuuuuck, Michael Cimino died. I'm going to have to finally buy the Heaven's Gate Blu-Ray now.

Aw dang, that's too bad. Deer Hunter is very good.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just curious,did they ever give you an update on your set issues? My email has gone unanswered for nearly three weeks now. :sigh:

No. I've been so busy lately I haven't been able to follow up. I should send an email.

But it's just movies. They do very well with everything else, so I'm willing to be forgiving. And I don't know what's going on.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

HP Hovercraft posted:

After hearing the news, I finally watched it, having had the Blu for months now. It's certainly a film all to its own, it does an incredible job of world-building and Christopher Walken is just excellent in it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

HP Hovercraft posted:

Welp, so did Abbas Kiarostami

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Welp, so did Abbas Kiarostami
Yep, all the great directors are dying this year. Kiarostami was one of the best living, it's such a devastating loss for world cinema. If you have Hulu Plus they have a bunch of his films for viewing such as Close-Up, Taste of Cherry, The Wind Will Carry Us (which I will be watching tonight), Where Is My Friend's House?, and his final film Like Someone in Love. If you aren't familiar at all with him I'd say Close-Up is a good starting point.

"Film begins with DW Griffith and ends with Abbas Kiarostami." -Jean-Luc Godard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSDWtdJKrG0

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

Barnes and Nobel sale is live! Just picked up Dr Strangelove and Easy Rider. Woot woot.

EDIT: Went back to look some more and it looks like its still hit or miss. I'd give it a few hours.

flickmaker fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 5, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Sweet just nabbed Fantastic Planet blu-ray. Can't wait to trip out to this movie.

Also they always gently caress up and have coupon codes that shouldn't stack at the start of the sale. I noticed this 15% code worked for me and knocked a few bucks off the already low 50% off price: https://www.retailmenot.com/view/barnesandnoble.com?c=7846036 It's code: 9GLQ4E2UFU863 Worth a shot, no idea how long it will keep working.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any region-free Criterion blus? I remember the DVDs could be but last I checked all their blus were US-only.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm probably going to head to barnes and noble late in the afternoon but I think I'm finally just going to get the Qatsi trilogy. I've put off buying it way too long at this point

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

The_Rob posted:

I'm probably going to head to barnes and noble late in the afternoon but I think I'm finally just going to get the Qatsi trilogy. I've put off buying it way too long at this point

You won't be disappointed. If nothing else just put it on for the music.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm going right when they open. I plan to get about 10 items

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

mod sassinator posted:

Sweet just nabbed Fantastic Planet blu-ray. Can't wait to trip out to this movie.

Also they always gently caress up and have coupon codes that shouldn't stack at the start of the sale. I noticed this 15% code worked for me and knocked a few bucks off the already low 50% off price: https://www.retailmenot.com/view/barnesandnoble.com?c=7846036 It's code: 9GLQ4E2UFU863 Worth a shot, no idea how long it will keep working.

Still working for me, got $3 off my $60 order, bringing Inside Llewyn Davis, Rashomon and Throne of Blood to $89AU shipped :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
!!! That gorgeous Strangelove set is coming out in the UK at the end of the month. That was like half the reason I was asking about region-free blus. The only other one released over here I definitely want is L'Avventura.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up The Graduate and Dr. Strangelove. I have a huge soft spot for The Graduate and that Strangelove kit is just so well put-together that it's hard to pass up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I know I'm going to get at least one Wes Anderson for this sale, just not sure which yet. I've narrowed it down to Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom, or The Life Aquatic.

The sale goes into the first week of August right? That would mean I can pick up The New World, gotta have everything Malick.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I know I'm going to get at least one Wes Anderson for this sale, just not sure which yet. I've narrowed it down to Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom, or The Life Aquatic.

The sale goes into the first week of August right? That would mean I can pick up The New World, gotta have everything Malick.

Darjeeling is the worst Anderson, don't bother. Get Moonrise instead.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just spent $130. :negative: someone help me or I will keep buying stuff

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

Darjeeling is the worst Anderson, don't bother. Get Moonrise instead.

Oh I'm not blind-buying, I've seen it and loved it. Its not quite as good as Moonrise Kingdom but I'll defend it all day. Visually its up there with anything he's ever done, and I love the chemistry that Brody, Schwartzman, and Wilson have in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Darjeeling is killer and I'm glad it's gone up in status since it came out.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Oh I'm not blind-buying, I've seen it and loved it. Its not quite as good as Moonrise Kingdom but I'll defend it all day. Visually its up there with anything he's ever done, and I love the chemistry that Brody, Schwartzman, and Wilson have in it.

I should add that "Worst Anderson" isn't the worst thing to be.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like The Darjeeling Unlimited though I can't help but think the Hotel Chevalier prequel short is a notch or two better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

I should add that "Worst Anderson" isn't the worst thing to be.

I mean, you're not wrong in that if I really have to choose only one Anderson for this sale, its probably going to end up being Moonrise Kingdom. So far that's his masterpiece, we'll see if he can top it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Are we doing these?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Stupid dollar :canada: and stupid..er Canada Post probably going on strike.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I got Dr. Strangelove, Fantastic Planet, Mulholland Drive and The Apu Trilogy.

All blind buys except Mulholland (I know I'll probably get crucified for not seeing Strangelove).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think I'm gonna have to get Dr Strangelove this Friday once I get paid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I got Dr. Strangelove, Fantastic Planet, Mulholland Drive and The Apu Trilogy.

All blind buys except Mulholland (I know I'll probably get crucified for not seeing Strangelove).

I bought Strangelove and Mulholland as well. I'm tempted to blind buy the other two blu-rays in your post.

Is FP totally worth a blind buy? It sounds like my kind of movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Fantastic Planet is an interesting watch but I found it a little too grating to watch regularly. Maybe a rental first.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Definitely rent Fantastic Planet rather than buy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

morestuff posted:

Fantastic Planet is an interesting watch but I found it a little too grating to watch regularly. Maybe a rental first.

I was about to disagree, but then I realised that I was thinking of Forbidden Planet instead. Fantastic Planet is definitely not to everybody's taste.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sounds like I will give FP a watch before buying then. Really digging the synopsis so I will check it out very soon.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I really love fantastic planet because I love that era of animation, I can totally see how it wouldn't be for everyone though. I'd say rent before buying unless you know what you are getting for sure.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm a huge animation nerd and that movie is too pretty for me to not own. I'll definitely let y'all know what I think of it once I watch it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

gently caress I only bought 3 movies last year because of :canada: and now one of the only cheap sources of Criterion here no longer sells physical media (Cineplex store) so now I have a huge backlog. Already own dvd copies of Blood Simple, Dr. Strangelove and Fantastic Planet as well as a blu of The New World and I'm tempted to upgrade all of them but I don't want to spend my entire purchase on upgrades either :saddowns:

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Starting Thursday (7/7/16), B&N will offer 20% off orders over $60 with coupon BNTROPICAL

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

mod sassinator posted:

Code still works - thanks! Just got Throne of Blood. It;'s been a long time since I've seen it - it was my first Kurosawa, I think.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost forgot I had $24 in gift cards from last year.

Definitely getting the Etaix set and might get Eraserhead and Dr. Strangelove.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wizchine posted:

Code still works - thanks! Just got Throne of Blood. It;'s been a long time since I've seen it - it was my first Kurosawa, I think.

Last month I did a really fun(well, maybe fun isn't the word) double feature of Throne of Blood and that new Macbeth starring Fassbender. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Does Amazon match the B&N Criterion sale prices?