Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kuroshi posted:

The comments blockers also hide all comments on Reddit, so only the OP is visible.

Hopefully they'll fix it in an update and block that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Looking for some advice on photo storage. I recently got a Real Camera. Photos + iCloud sync has worked well enough for dinky phone photos, but now I'm dealing with bigass RAW files and I can see that quickly burning through my iCloud quota.

I do like Photos well enough, as well as iCloud syncing my phone's pictures. I also have a NAS, which is where everything should end up.

Can I have Photos sync down iCloud stuff, but not upload things I import directly from the camera?

Also interested in archiving off stuff such that I don't have to store everything on the Mac, including metadata if possible. Can I have multiple libraries one locally and one on the NAS, and move stuff between them?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can't automate to it by default, but I quite dig Amazon's photo backup service. It's either free with Prime, or like $13/yr with a 3 month trial for unlimited storage of supported image formats (I've thrown NEF (Nikon raw), JPG, TIFF etc at it and all are valid).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Milkman posted:

Looking for some advice on photo storage. I recently got a Real Camera. Photos + iCloud sync has worked well enough for dinky phone photos, but now I'm dealing with bigass RAW files and I can see that quickly burning through my iCloud quota.

I do like Photos well enough, as well as iCloud syncing my phone's pictures. I also have a NAS, which is where everything should end up.

Can I have Photos sync down iCloud stuff, but not upload things I import directly from the camera?

Also interested in archiving off stuff such that I don't have to store everything on the Mac, including metadata if possible. Can I have multiple libraries one locally and one on the NAS, and move stuff between them?

Come on over to Adobe Lightroom, friend. It's proof that intelligent aliens exist.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lightroom loving sucks

but it's the only thing we have :'(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's a bunch of alternatives. They're all worse.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Well I think I've complained about the Aperture sunset quite a bit in Apple threads already, but yeah, that was a better one. The library was better, it worked on OS X better, it was a superior product.

I use Lightroom now because I have to. I've lost all of my historical edits, every import requires me to manually manage my library in a way I didn't have to before, I had to download profiles for my camera to get my NEFs to look at least somewhat OK without tweaking, where Aperture did a fantastic job. Lightroom is great for the professional photographer I would imagine, but it's not that good for a competent amateur in the same way Aperture was, and there's nothing to fill that space... Also it just doesn't perform as well, Lightroom kicks the rear end of my top of the line rMBP if I play with it too long.

Anyhow, whatever, this is the hand we're dealt. At least I get PS with LR. With the weak Canadian dollar though, it is an expensive subscription!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like Capture One but it does have its foibles.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am in Exchange hell. My org is still using Exchange 2007 for another few months so I can't use the latest Outlook. I can get my mail working on the stock Mail app, but I need to open a shared mailbox which doesn't seem possible.

Does Outlook 2011 work OK on ElCap? I might have to resort to that. Unless there is another mail app that can interface with Outlook 2007 AND open shared mailboxes. I don't even know for a fact that Outlook 2011 can do all this, but I'm assuming at this point.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

tuyop posted:

Come on over to Adobe Lightroom, friend. It's proof that intelligent aliens exist.

Pivo posted:

Lightroom loving sucks

but it's the only thing we have :'(

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I was trying to avoid LR and the Adobe subscription hell. :( At least until I don't suck too much to make it worth it. I wouldn't mind a Pixelmator-esque situation if there was one worth it, but I'm guessing that doesn't really exist.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Well I think I've complained about the Aperture sunset quite a bit in Apple threads already, but yeah, that was a better one. The library was better, it worked on OS X better, it was a superior product.

I use Lightroom now because I have to. I've lost all of my historical edits, every import requires me to manually manage my library in a way I didn't have to before, I had to download profiles for my camera to get my NEFs to look at least somewhat OK without tweaking, where Aperture did a fantastic job. Lightroom is great for the professional photographer I would imagine, but it's not that good for a competent amateur in the same way Aperture was, and there's nothing to fill that space... Also it just doesn't perform as well, Lightroom kicks the rear end of my top of the line rMBP if I play with it too long.

Anyhow, whatever, this is the hand we're dealt. At least I get PS with LR. With the weak Canadian dollar though, it is an expensive subscription!

Does light room have a map to show you where images were taken?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I am in Exchange hell. My org is still using Exchange 2007 for another few months so I can't use the latest Outlook. I can get my mail working on the stock Mail app, but I need to open a shared mailbox which doesn't seem possible.

Does Outlook 2011 work OK on ElCap? I might have to resort to that. Unless there is another mail app that can interface with Outlook 2007 AND open shared mailboxes. I don't even know for a fact that Outlook 2011 can do all this, but I'm assuming at this point.

Outlook 2011 does work with El Cap after it's fully patched and does work with Exchange 2007, including shared/delegated mail and calendars.

It's not fun to use but it should work.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Arsten posted:

Does light room have a map to show you where images were taken?

Yes, but it's a half-baked feature that doesn't work very well.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Yes, but it's a half-baked feature that doesn't work very well.

At this rate, I'm going to keep using iPhotos until we have to transition to 128bit Operating Systems. :(

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Arsten posted:

At this rate, I'm going to keep using iPhotos until we have to transition to 128bit Operating Systems. :(

I have a camera with GPS support (Sony a99) and while it will show you a map of where photos were taken, it doesn't seem to really do much more than that. Syncing GPS info is rather easy but entering in manual location info (aside from lat/long if you know it) is a pain and / or annoying. It's a bullet point feature, nothing more. There's no real logic or intelligence to the location info. Why can't it use the lat/long to automatically know what city/town I took it in? Why can't it know that some photos were taken at a particular point of interest? It's because Adobe doesn't have Google's kinds of hooks into that sort of info.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Last Chance posted:

It's not fun to use but it should work.

Microsoft Office dot txt

(thanks, I'll find my company's old 2011 stuff)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

I have a camera with GPS support (Sony a99) and while it will show you a map of where photos were taken, it doesn't seem to really do much more than that. Syncing GPS info is rather easy but entering in manual location info (aside from lat/long if you know it) is a pain and / or annoying. It's a bullet point feature, nothing more. There's no real logic or intelligence to the location info. Why can't it use the lat/long to automatically know what city/town I took it in? Why can't it know that some photos were taken at a particular point of interest? It's because Adobe doesn't have Google's kinds of hooks into that sort of info.

As long as it plots those points on a map, that's really all I need. I will start at the North America level and then zoom to the photo I'm interested in because half of my pictures are miles from a nearby town. It'll be like "Lusk, WY" and the photo was actually taken 50 miles away in the Badlands (which has fewer Cardassians than you might have been led to believe).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My 2013 rMBP has crashed while sleeping the last two times I have tried to wake it back up (today, and yesterday)

https://pastebin.mozilla.org/8881639

Any suggestions to look first?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Any recommendations for a Facebook group auto poster for OS X? Anything that's good and free?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Any recommendations for a Facebook group auto poster for OS X? Anything that's good and free?

Hootsuite is free for up to 3 "social profiles" and can schedule group posts, if that's what you mean by automating.

e: It's a webapp though, not really aware of a desktop app that does that.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Hootsuite is free for up to 3 "social profiles" and can schedule group posts, if that's what you mean by automating.

e: It's a webapp though, not really aware of a desktop app that does that.

I only see a free 30-day trial, then pro and enterprise. Where can I get the free one?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I only see a free 30-day trial, then pro and enterprise. Where can I get the free one?

https://hootsuite.com/plans/free

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

My 2013 rMBP has crashed while sleeping the last two times I have tried to wake it back up (today, and yesterday)

Got any peripherals plugged in?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Hootsuite doesn't look like it will do what I need. I wasn't being specific enough sorry! I want to be able to automatically post the same thing to a list of groups that I have joined. Hootsuite only lets me select groups that I administrate or created.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

My 2015 rMBP does this all the drat time. It's very annoying, and I haven't found a solution for it yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

Got any peripherals plugged in?

Just an ACD. It just started doing it but I also have been using VLC a lot

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Hootsuite doesn't look like it will do what I need. I wasn't being specific enough sorry! I want to be able to automatically post the same thing to a list of groups that I have joined. Hootsuite only lets me select groups that I administrate or created.

Oh, I'm not sure then. There are a bunch of other similar tools that I haven't checked out since Hootsuite has worked for me. Just Google around and you'll find them.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there literally anything to get a Magic Mouse 2 working on a non-Capitan macbook with all the swipe and drag extras? Everything I read says to simply upgrade to Capitan to use it but the upgrade from the previous version to the Capitan has not been cleared by corporate.

I lucked out and got someone's Magic Mouse 1 which works with all the features intact but Apple decided they cannot have these same features for basically the same mouse.

As an aside, using the Mac for the first time and I enjoy the unix backend and the singular storage of certs/keys but the hotkeys... what is your guys' deal with the crazy hotkeys?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

EVIL Gibson posted:

Is there literally anything to get a Magic Mouse 2 working on a non-Capitan macbook with all the swipe and drag extras? Everything I read says to simply upgrade to Capitan to use it but the upgrade from the previous version to the Capitan has not been cleared by corporate.

I lucked out and got someone's Magic Mouse 1 which works with all the features intact but Apple decided they cannot have these same features for basically the same mouse.

As an aside, using the Mac for the first time and I enjoy the unix backend and the singular storage of certs/keys but the hotkeys... what is your guys' deal with the crazy hotkeys?

What ones are crazy? The only difference day to day is CMD vs CTRL really.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

Yeah, definitely takes some getting used to. My mind cannot hold onto the force quit hotkey and I constantly trigger a sign out. Check out cheat sheet, the app. It's very good.

I love cmd+alt+ctrl+eject for shutdown though. gently caress Windows and its win+d alt+f4 or win up up enter enter.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Also, a lot of keyboard shortcuts can be changed in the keyboard options. You can even swap your control and command keys, which I do for external PC keyboards, since cmd gets bound to the windows key and makes no sense in that format.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

EVIL Gibson posted:

Travel back in time, go to Apple and beg the hardware group to fold support into a special update to Yosemite, 10.10.6? Otherwise you're SOL, it seems that the Tragic Trackpad 2, Tragic Keyboard and Tragic Mouse 2 only have explicit support from El Capitan onward.. why it even smells like an attempt to link future hardware to OS releases, how dastardly!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 5, 2016

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Phoenixan posted:

Also, a lot of keyboard shortcuts can be changed in the keyboard options. You can even swap your control and command keys, which I do for external PC keyboards, since cmd gets bound to the windows key and makes no sense in that format.

Related, when I started doing dev work it was recommended to me to remap caps lock to control and just A+++

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Bob Morales posted:

Mine does the same time occasionally although it hasn't done it in awhile though. It almost always happens when I have my USB soundcard plugged in so I'm assuming that might have something to do with it.

It might also be worth mentioning that my soundcard used to disconnect whenever I put my laptop to sleep requiring me to unplug the card and plug it back in. After an update (I'm assuming) this hasn't been a problem and neither has the waking issues. Idk how this is helpful but I assumed that it was a pretty common problem when it was happening to me regularly. I even ran a system diagnosis thing and it found no errors.

I know this isn't helpful in anyway but if you have a soundcard that might be the source of the problem.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So, I'm going to be away from my Time Capsule for the next few months. I'm using an external drive for that time to keep backups. I don't want to be nagged about not backing up to my Time Capsule. Should I remove it as a backup disk? Will I be able to resume from where I left off when I come back to the Time Capsule after the summer, or will it force me to do a complete backup and lose my history?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

So, I'm going to be away from my Time Capsule for the next few months. I'm using an external drive for that time to keep backups. I don't want to be nagged about not backing up to my Time Capsule. Should I remove it as a backup disk? Will I be able to resume from where I left off when I come back to the Time Capsule after the summer, or will it force me to do a complete backup and lose my history?

I believe you can just turn the big "On" switch to "Off" in Time Machine settings during your trip and be fine. When you come back, just turn it back on.

Otherwise, I'm 99% sure after removing a backup disk you can re-add previous a backup disk and Time Machine will pick up where it left off.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The idea would be that I keep making Time Machine backups to my portable external and disable the Time Capsule backups temporarily.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

The idea would be that I keep making Time Machine backups to my portable external and disable the Time Capsule backups temporarily.

In that case, I'm pretty sure it lets you continue a backup process on a removed drive. At work we had an AFP share for Time Machine backups that we moved to new server hardware and I was able to remove the old network disk, add the new one and continue where I left off.

It's not the exact same scenario + hardware that you're doing, but I know I remember seeing a dialog that asked me if I wanted to continue using the existing backup or start over after I pointed it to the new server share point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I'm doing exactly this - I have an external USB drive set up as a TM target, and my Drobo is in a box while we're moving. I got one warning about the Drobo, and then nothing in this past month. Don't sweat it. e: I made no changes to TM settings for the Drobo, so I expect it to resume when I get it all connected again.