Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maelin
Aug 12, 2007
Hey folks, any suggestions for brands or models for portable hard drives? Looking for something with 1-2 TB capacity, nothing fancy, but needs to be portable - nothing that requires its own power brick. Don't want any extra software, but would really like something that I can reliably just plug into any computer and expect it to work (including Macs). Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Literally any 2.5" mobile hard drive.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
HGST hard drives seem to have generally better RMA rates. Try one of those.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Whichever big brand name one is on sale. They will all be about $50-$60 normally priced.

My only advice is to consider buying a small case for it because they overwhelmingly fail due to drops or even tiny bumps when running. Or just be really careful and try not to be put in a spot where it has the only copy of an insanely critical file

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've always only liked external enclosures that have their own power. I've never seen a powered off USB drive that didn't fail with heavy loads, even on high current USB ports. I've always gotten flash drives for non powered ultra portable storage and used generic powered enclosures with WD reds and Seagate NAS drives inserted into them for high capacity portable storage.

I'm open to a non powered enclosure recommendation if anyone has experiences with using some of them in heavy load situations where they haven't failed. I've mostly been using powered ones because it's an easy way for me to not have to think about the type of enclosure I'm getting.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

craig588 posted:

I've always only liked external enclosures that have their own power. I've never seen a powered off USB drive that didn't fail with heavy loads, even on high current USB ports. I've always gotten flash drives for non powered ultra portable storage and used generic powered enclosures with WD reds and Seagate NAS drives inserted into them for high capacity portable storage.

I'm open to a non powered enclosure recommendation if anyone has experiences with using some of them in heavy load situations where they haven't failed. I've mostly been using powered ones because it's an easy way for me to not have to think about the type of enclosure I'm getting.

I dont think I've seen any portable hard drive survive very long powered or not, personally. The future is portable SSD's they are sooo kickass, but at 1-2 TB thats a huge jump in price obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

craig588 posted:

I'll argue that the 3.5" with their own power supplies (all of them AFAIK) are poo poo. More parts to break, power supplies are junk, etc. Get a 2.5" bus-powered one.

• Locked thread