Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah every time there is a new publicised mass shooting they update that article.

Which is just a great way of making their point imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Regalingualius posted:

Plus, doesn't it have extremely restrictive gun control where it's almost impossible for someone who isn't in the military to own one?

Mexico's got that too. For that matter, Geneva's Small Arms Survey indicates that other G8 nations like France and Germany are pretty awash in illegal weapons themselves (France has about 3 million legally-registered civilian-owned firearms, but about 16 million in illegal circulation. Germany has about 7 million legally-owned weapons, and about 18 illegally). What helps Japan is probably a very high degree of cultural homogeneity, and a judicial system that can detain suspects for weeks without charging them with anything, , doesn't have jury trials, and has a 99% conviction rate. Again, if "helps" is a word that encompasses their suicide rate; it's still a very violent culture, it's just that the violence is directed inwards.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

trapped mouse posted:

I don't have a problem with the message of this graph, but the idea of including a country with no data in a bar graph is hilarious.

The most hilarious thing is that they could have called in "G7" and removed Russia. But I guess some folks just can't help ice-skating uphill. :shrug:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Everyone knows the weapon of choice for homicides in Russia is car.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Obviously nobody gets murdered in Russia.

Sergei just said he didn't like Putin, then the next day he decided to go on holiday and never come back. I hear Siberia is nice this time of year.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
UNODC says that Russia has a homicide rate of 9.5 per 100,000. "no data" indeed. :yum:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

C.M. Kruger posted:

UNODC says that Russia has a homicide rate of 9.5 per 100,000. "no data" indeed. :yum:

What about guns, though?

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Freakanomics had a thing that said there was an issue with murders in Japan that if the cops weren't 100% sure they could solve/convict someone would be classified as "found body" and never investigated criminally. Something about the cops not wanting to hurt their name or record with unsolved cases, so they would just avoid having a tough case to solve in the first place.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

om nom nom posted:

Freakanomics had a thing that said there was an issue with murders in Japan that if the cops weren't 100% sure they could solve/convict someone would be classified as "found body" and never investigated criminally. Something about the cops not wanting to hurt their name or record with unsolved cases, so they would just avoid having a tough case to solve in the first place.

Man, combined with what I've learned about Japan's legal system from playing video games, it sounds like they're just full of perverse incentives.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Man, combined with what I've learned about Japan's legal system from playing video games, it sounds like they're just full of perverse incentives.

The Japanese criminal-justice system is quite literally best described as Kafka-esque.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ikanreed posted:

Yeah japanese justice system is 100% hosed up and horrible. The police only arrest or take action if they know they'll get a conviction, they don't care if you did it or not, they just want to open and close a case. The justice system assumed anyone who the police arrested did it, finding someone innocent would be dishonour to the whole system and shame the police and make people lose faith in the system so just about everyone is found guilty. To help this along the police are allowed to hold you as long as they want and torture you until you confess. Defense lawyer is seen as one of the most shameful jobs, since you're defending guilty criminals. It's more or less the Cardassian legal system. Presumed guilty and found guilty, it doesn't matter if you did it or not, it doesn't matter if they tortured or blackmailed a confession out of you, the point is to show that justice is always served and the state is good.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

The police only arrest or take action if they know they'll get a conviction

To be fair the American legal system does this too. Because of double jeopardy police generally won't charge people unless they're absolutely sure they can get a conviction, since if the person is acquitted at trial and later evidence turns up that 100% proves their guilt, oops, too late, you can't charge them again.

The rest of that sounds pretty awful though. I kind of wonder how much influence the Yakuza has had on that system, considering that they operate more or less openly in Japan and have had influence over government officials in the past. It seems like a system that would seriously favour organized crime - all you need is a fall guy and the police will be happy to charge them with everything your organization has done, effectively letting everyone else off the hook.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

To be fair the American legal system does this too. Because of double jeopardy police generally won't charge people unless they're absolutely sure they can get a conviction, since if the person is acquitted at trial and later evidence turns up that 100% proves their guilt, oops, too late, you can't charge them again.

The difference being that jurors still expect to see proof that the people are guilty, so the system works as intended (and gives us fun stuff like the FIFA RICO cases). But that really only applies to the feds.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The rest of that sounds pretty awful though. I kind of wonder how much influence the Yakuza has had on that system, considering that they operate more or less openly in Japan and have had influence over government officials in the past. It seems like a system that would seriously favour organized crime - all you need is a fall guy and the police will be happy to charge them with everything your organization has done, effectively letting everyone else off the hook.

Well, I have a friend who was assaulted by a junior yakuza member and was bullied by the cops into leaving the country, so it's not unlikely there's some influence.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Im not sure what the US system is exactly but in the UK the police will charge you if they have any notion you might have done it and then the Crown Prosecution Service decides to prosecution service decides to proceed or not. They have to think theres a greater than 50/50 chance of a successful prosecution. The police don't really get to decide anything much and decisions to charge usually fall on the side of caution and to charge just in case.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Whiz Palace posted:

I guess they were trying to make a point similar to this Onion article.

http://www.thoughtsandprayersthegame.com/

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

holy gently caress

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aramoro posted:

Im not sure what the US system is exactly but in the UK the police will charge you if they have any notion you might have done it and then the Crown Prosecution Service decides to prosecution service decides to proceed or not. They have to think theres a greater than 50/50 chance of a successful prosecution. The police don't really get to decide anything much and decisions to charge usually fall on the side of caution and to charge just in case.

The UK's also one of those countries where, while you can't be compelled to speak, if you fail to speak in your defense that can be used to infer your guilt.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not the police that charge people, it's prosecutors, and the enormous amount of laws a motivated prosecutor can charge you with violating means that most cases never even go to trial. Being able to hit someone with multiple charges carrying a combined sentence of 50 years is one hell of an incentive for most people to accept an offer to plea guilty to one of those charges with a 2-year sentence, so the issue of actually having to a jury to vote to convict doesn't enter into a lot of decisions to prosecute. *Especially* at the Federal level; if a Federal prosecutor sets his sights on you, you're going down, the conviction rate in Federal court is north of 90%. Down at the state levels it's a bit lower (and a lot lower in places like Florida). But double jeopardy does not really serve to prevent prosecutors from charging, especially because in a high-profile case there's the possibility of Federal charges even in the event that the state case collapses (Rodney King is the prime example of this but there are certainly more recent ones). Plus, prosecutors generally aren't going to give a poo poo about the downstream effects anyway, like guilty men walking free, except again in high-profile cases where they're putting themselves on the line politically (like recent examples in Baltimore).

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jul 6, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Man, the creators of that game are about as full of themselves as they could possibly be. Hell, their own websites look like what you'd create/write as a spoof making fun of the current trend of hipster marketers http://ilovechrisbaker.com/

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Wow, thanks for warning me. For a moment I came dangerously close to feeling an emotion other than disdain.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The most hilarious thing is that they could have called in "G7" and removed Russia. But I guess some folks just can't help ice-skating uphill. :shrug:

I noticed Blade II was on Netflix and watched it and it was terrible

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trent posted:

I noticed Blade II was on Netflix and watched it and it was terrible

I never let the fact that I haven't watched a film stop me from using relevant quotes. :v:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I never let the fact that I haven't watched a film stop me from using relevant quotes. :v:

That quote is from the first Blade.

But yea, the second Blade movie was terrible, and the third was even worse.

take me you ANIMAL has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Jul 7, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Blade 1 is in the top 5 comic hero movies.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I enjoyed every Blade movie, but the only reason I enjoyed III was Ryan Reynolds (and vampire poodle's cameo).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I've been enjoying Mona Chalabi's data sketches.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
Turns out Imelda Marcos belongs in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9FTAK_sPhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpe5q3_ZFU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I need that laser pointer so bad.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think you meant to go right at the corner. This is the graphs thread. Here's the maps thread.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Look at the labeling.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Honestly, questions like that are enough to make the graph lovely. "Should pot be legalized only for situations where it's deemed medically necessary?" both "no, pot should never be legal" and "no, pot should be completely legal even for recreational use" both tend to get lumped into the same general "no" category when reported. Ditto for things regarding health care "do you support the ACA as it's currently implemented?" "no, people should fend for themselves" and "no, we should have universal healthcare for everyone" both get lumped into being reported as "omg gently caress the poor"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
From a discussion of Clinton's emails:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Oil prices

Non-linear scales that don't even start at 0 are the devil.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Oil prices

Non-linear scales that don't even start at 0 are the devil.

If it's a log scale it can't start at 0.

But they should have labeled the bottom (is that what you mean?)

However, considering it's within an order of magnitude, it seems like a log scale is a bit excessive.

That said, it must have sucked to drive a car in 1980.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Not a bad graph, but one with funny implications.

Number of google searches in the United States for "km to miles".

In case you've been living under a rock, July 6th was the release date of Pokemon Go in the US. The egg hatching distances in the game are in kilometers.

Like someone commented: "Pokemon Go, reducing obesity and making people learn how to use proper units, all in one little app".

And what's interesting, the developer of the app is Niantic, an American company. They must've made a conscious choice to only show kilometer distances.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Japan uses kilometres, so it could have been dictated by Nintendo. Or even just consistency for an app that's going to have to work worldwide.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Japan uses kilometres, so it could have been dictated by Nintendo. Or even just consistency for an app that's going to have to work worldwide.

It's really not much work to build a toggle in the settings that allows you to switch the view to miles. The numbers wouldn't be round anymore but that isn't really a problem. But they specifically didn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Japan has no patience for the eccentricities of decadent American units of measurement.