Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

This poo poo has been vaporware for years but I've had my eye on their webpage and it looks like we might finally see some of these spinning-heatsink coolers:

https://www.facebook.com/CoolchipTechnologies

Those are going to have serious implications for SFF and low-profile cooling. Allegedly they can cool much more quietly and in a smaller package than current coolers. Looking forward to reviews when they finally hit.

Do these have to be situated face up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Salted_Pork posted:

Hello friendos,

I was hoping someone here could recommend me a PSU and 2TB HDD, here's the build I'm considering:
Case: Thermaltake Core v1
CPU: Intel i5 6500
GPU: Asus GTX 970 DCMOC
MOBO: Gigebyte z170N-Wifi
RAM: 16G Kit (8Gx2) 3200Hz Corsair Vengeance LPX
2*120 Gb SSD Windows 10 on one, Ubuntu 14.04 on the other
1*2 TB HDD for storing games, and audio visual entertainment, plus a myriad of other poo poo

I was looking at a Coolermaster Avanguardisti 80+ Gold Full-Modular 550 PSU, and a WD Blue 2TB HDD.

I'm also interested in comments on my other choices except my GPU, because I've already bought that, especially whether its worth getting a Z mobo to host 3200 Hz RAM when I won't be overclocking. This build will be used to run games like modern games, and a bunch of engineering stuff like solidworks, abaqus, and the like.

Thanks in advance for any help

Overclocked RAM is essentially worthless in real world usage. Get it only if it costs pretty much the same as a basic 2133 MHz stick, otherwise don't bother.

Without CPU overclocking, any 500W or even 450w from a decent brand will do fine. Splurge for modular, though, the Core V1 has plenty of room for the PSU itself but routing cables will still take some finesse.

I'd also recommend splurging for a slightly larger SSD and running your games off of it. The bigger the games, the more they'll benefit from it in terms of loading times. You can easily move them to the HDD when you start playing something else.

WD Blues are fine disks, but if you need plenty of storage in few slots I can heartily recommend getting a Toshiba Canvio 5TB, taking it out of the enclosure, and enjoying a 7200rpm unit at an incredible price per gig. Leave your second 3.5" slot free for further expansion.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

NihilCredo posted:

Overclocked RAM is essentially worthless in real world usage. Get it only if it costs pretty much the same as a basic 2133 MHz stick, otherwise don't bother.

Without CPU overclocking, any 500W or even 450w from a decent brand will do fine. Splurge for modular, though, the Core V1 has plenty of room for the PSU itself but routing cables will still take some finesse.

I'd also recommend splurging for a slightly larger SSD and running your games off of it. The bigger the games, the more they'll benefit from it in terms of loading times. You can easily move them to the HDD when you start playing something else.

WD Blues are fine disks, but if you need plenty of storage in few slots I can heartily recommend getting a Toshiba Canvio 5TB, taking it out of the enclosure, and enjoying a 7200rpm unit at an incredible price per gig. Leave your second 3.5" slot free for further expansion.

Faster RAM is starting to make a difference in certain games now. I don't have the link on hand because I'm on my phone, but DigitalFoundry i5-6500 video outlines it very well. I think DDR4-3000 has a good price/performance ratio.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Getting some inspiration from this thread. Right now I have a modest Bitfenix Prodigy setup, but I'm starting to eye moving over to an NCASE M1.

Never understood the point of having a full-sized ATX board and especially now with SFX PSUs and M2 drives, even my Prodigy seems like overkill.

I keep getting tempted to spec out a watercooling build since most of the NCASE M1 builds I see online have em, but from what I'm reading in this thread and elsewhere I'm guessing that would be excessive

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

beepsandboops posted:

even my Prodigy seems like overkill.
It absolutely is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do these have to be situated face up?

No, they'll work at any angle. They spin up and glide on super small barrier of air, like the needle on a hard drive, and like a hard drive they can work in any orientation, though moving it around while running might not be the best idea.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Finally pulled the trigger on the new build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.69 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($196.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Silverstone FTZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1530.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 23:45 EDT-0400

Managed to get the CPU at Microcenter for $289 and the 1080 from Newegg for $649. The storage I already have in my current build. The CPU cooler won't fit with the top fan so that may go to the GPU cage. I'm really excited. This should be considerably smaller than my current case (Corsair 600T). Plan is to have a 4k capable gaming rig to use on my Samsung JS8500 that fits in the media console. Fingers crossed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man cooling is gonna be a bitch on that, or at least it's gonna be loud as poo poo in 4k. Still that'll be one hell of a computer. Why are you getting a HDD alongside a 1TB SSD? Surely you won't need that much storage space?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just ordered the Ncase M1 in black with no optical drive. Total came out to $230 shipped to me. I just need a sfx power supply and some sort of cpu cooler and I'll have everything I need. I don't know if I want to do a AIO cooler for the cpu as my videocard has an AIO cooler built into it so I would have two 120" radiators in the case. Also, the gpu is the single biggest source of heat so the cpu may be just fine on air, but this case will be pretty compact. Decisions decisions.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

nCase M1 owners: how are the noise and dust levels?

I've been a Fractal owner for the last few years and I love how quiet and clean their cases are. Basically the only noise I hear is my GPU fan at full load. I've been torn between the M1 for size and the Fractal Nano for silence.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Man cooling is gonna be a bitch on that, or at least it's gonna be loud as poo poo in 4k. Still that'll be one hell of a computer. Why are you getting a HDD alongside a 1TB SSD? Surely you won't need that much storage space?

I actually do. I'm dropping a couple drives for this build. Will report back how loud/hot it is.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Standard fair for the DAN A4-SFX appears to be something like this: (plus $279.39 for the case)

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($234.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($724.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1875.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 17:06 EDT-0400

The memory speeds always a look a bit bogus above DDR4-2133 for making any difference ($139.99), and for today the Intel Core i5-6600K ($238.99) hits the good enough category. The motherboard depends on whether you want USB 3.1, everything else looks a bit moot, there does not appear to be any mini-ITX Thunderbolt boards yet. I'm not saying anything about the GPU :homebrew: See how this changes in the next 6 months when the cases ship.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 1, 2016

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Just in case anyone wants a reference point on shipping/delivery times, I ordered an NCASE M1 on June 12, it shipped on June 22, and arrived today.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MrMoo posted:

Standard fair for the DAN A4-SFX appears to be something like this: (plus $279.39 for the case)

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($345.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($234.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($724.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1875.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 17:06 EDT-0400

The memory speeds always a look a bit bogus above DDR4-2133 for making any difference ($139.99), and for today the Intel Core i5-6600K ($238.99) hits the good enough category. The motherboard depends on whether you want USB 3.1, everything else looks a bit moot, there does not appear to be any mini-ITX Thunderbolt boards yet. I'm not saying anything about the GPU :homebrew: See how this changes in the next 6 months when the cases ship.

NewEgg sells the ASRock Z170 ITX for $130, there's no need to spend $235 on the Asus: http://www.ebay.com/itm/381428803102

The only thing is it missing is the M.2 slot and if you have to have that, the "Gaming" version of the ASRock has it and it's still cheaper.

I got two of the ASRock Z170 for work and use the ASRock Z170 Gaming at home and they all work great.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

NewEgg sells the ASRock Z170 ITX for $130, there's no need to spend $235 on the Asus: http://www.ebay.com/itm/381428803102

The only thing is it missing is the M.2 slot and if you have to have that, the "Gaming" version of the ASRock has it and it's still cheaper.

And USB 3.1, all the other Z170 based boards are cheaper than that Asus.

A lot the parts listings I see only spec out 16GB not 32GB which seems a bit strange considering the minimal price difference whilst getting the i7-6700K and a GFX 1080.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

MrMoo posted:

And USB 3.1, all the other Z170 based boards are cheaper than that Asus.

A lot the parts listings I see only spec out 16GB not 32GB which seems a bit strange considering the minimal price difference whilst getting the i7-6700K and a GFX 1080.

You can get the premium ASRock board, it'll have USB 3.1, including a Type C port, and a M.2 port instead of the silly U.2 one. Or you can go with the lower-tier ASUS mobo, same price as the ASRock and it still has USB 3.1 (not Type C though).

The only scenario where I'd actually get a Maximus Impact would be for building a serious overclocking toy, and you sure as hell aren't gonna do that in a DAN case.

As for RAM, very few users will benefit from the extra 16GB, and it's not like you cannot add an extra stick if and when you do.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
I thought you always wanted a RAM pairing for dual channel? Is that from days gone and doesn't apply anymore?

Also, while researching my own build I read several people saying that ASRock boards of late were giving people trouble and to avoid them. The Impact board seems really bizarre to me with the U.2 inclusion instead of M.2 so I ended up just going for the step down board.

Another thing to note for anyone considering a FTZ01 case, the power cable doesn't have much slack and the new Corsair power supply orients the plug opposite the Silverstone power supply. Hard to explain, but basically the 90 degree adapter needs to flip to fit but there really isn't much slack for the power cable to do so. You can just not have it as flush against the side (what I did) near the graphic card section or you can route it differently through the middle around the motherboard. Either way will work but it's kind of lame that there isn't an extra inch or so on the power cable.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 2, 2016

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This is the direction I'm taking my Ncase build in:

Usual 6700k / 32gb. Went with the evga z170 because the Asus was out locally and I went with a Silverstone 500w SFX-L. Reusing my current 970.

The only remarkable thing about this is that I'm going to be cramming in this Be Quiet Dark Rock TF as my cooler. It only fits onto the EVGA board in one direction (barely, touching poo poo on either side), and only goes north of the board a small amount which I think the Ncase will allow . The real test will be to see if it fits in depth. If it doesn't I can remove the top fan and figure out something else. My Ncase isn't even arriving until the end of July :( It'll be running "open" until then since my old computer was dying at a rapid rate I had to press on.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

tuna posted:

This is the direction I'm taking my Ncase build in:

Usual 6700k / 32gb. Went with the evga z170 because the Asus was out locally and I went with a Silverstone 500w SFX-L. Reusing my current 970.

The only remarkable thing about this is that I'm going to be cramming in this Be Quiet Dark Rock TF as my cooler. It only fits onto the EVGA board in one direction (barely, touching poo poo on either side), and only goes north of the board a small amount which I think the Ncase will allow . The real test will be to see if it fits in depth. If it doesn't I can remove the top fan and figure out something else. My Ncase isn't even arriving until the end of July :( It'll be running "open" until then since my old computer was dying at a rapid rate I had to press on.

That cat is going to knock that poo poo on the floor bro.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This looks great for SFF builds right now http://videocardz.com/61743/gigabyte-announces-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-itx-oc (1070 mini)

particle9 posted:

That cat is going to knock that poo poo on the floor bro.

Why do you think I am building a new computer? (Just kidding, but seriously she probably somehow got cat hair inside the cpu of my old machine which is maybe why its crashes playing notoriously stable overwatch?)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm moving to the UK in a month, but want to build a PC over there. What would I need to know about eventually shipping the PC back to Aus when I come back? Thinking a lot about the Phantex Evolv ITX.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Will that case work in an inverted orientation? For when you get back to 'Straya? :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keep the case packaging, potentially build it into a wooden crate as well, insure the gently caress out of it, remove any heavy CPU coolers or video cards and ship them separately - or fill the gaps in the case with dense foam so nothing can move around too much.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Keep the case packaging, potentially build it into a wooden crate as well, insure the gently caress out of it, remove any heavy CPU coolers or video cards and ship them separately - or fill the gaps in the case with dense foam so nothing can move around too much.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that when it's time to come back, I might just sell or ditch the case and any bulky parts. I'll bring back CPU/GPU in carry-on or something. That's a problem for another day I guess!

Coredump posted:

Will that case work in an inverted orientation? For when you get back to 'Straya? :v:

:australia:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Do you guys know of a decent prebuilt HTPC style system that will fit in a media center and have a decent graphics card for around $700? This guy in the parts picking thread needs help and I don't want to tell him to get an Alienware Alpha due to the mobile GPU. He was looking at some terrible HP with a GTX 745.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Do you guys know of a decent prebuilt HTPC style system that will fit in a media center and have a decent graphics card for around $700? This guy in the parts picking thread needs help and I don't want to tell him to get an Alienware Alpha due to the mobile GPU. He was looking at some terrible HP with a GTX 745.

Maybe a Falcon Northwest Tiki? https://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki/design Not $700 though. I mean, $700 is pretty low for a pre-built all inclusive with discreet graphics. For that range he's looking at something like a Alienware Alpha.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 5, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

particle9 posted:

Maybe a Falcon Northwest Tiki? https://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki/design Not $700 though. I mean, $700 is pretty low for a pre-built all inclusive with discreet graphics. For that range he's looking at something like a Alienware Alpha.

Yeah that's fair and those look beautiful but I'm guessing that far exceeds his budget. I guess I'll suggest the alienware alpha to begin with and if anyone else has suggestions for someone who's scared to build their own, please help that dude out.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Rexxed posted:

Yeah that's fair and those look beautiful but I'm guessing that far exceeds his budget. I guess I'll suggest the alienware alpha to begin with and if anyone else has suggestions for someone who's scared to build their own, please help that dude out.

Why not part out a build using something like a Fractal Design Node 605 or some version of the Silverstone Grandias at NCIX and have them build it for him?

I'd recommend sticking to the mATX or ATX variations to increase compatibility with your standard ATX-sized components which are generally less expensive than those specifically designed for SFF.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Rexxed posted:

Lol woah thanks, didn't even know this thread existed. I was just expecting people to tell me I was stupid for looking at pre-builts.

Rukus posted:

Why not part out a build using something like a Fractal Design Node 605 or some version of the Silverstone Grandias at NCIX and have them build it for him?

I'd recommend sticking to the mATX or ATX variations to increase compatibility with your standard ATX-sized components which are generally less expensive than those specifically designed for SFF.

That's a pretty cool service. $50 is ridiculously cheap. I was looking into something similar from Microcenter but that said it "started" at $120, from what I could tell.

Any suggestions for a good case that runs quiet and cool? I know that's a problem with these smaller ones, but I was looking at cube-shaped ones from cooler master that might be good?

My budget is flexible and I have very little idea what I'm doing. I'm not looking to spend thousands as this is mostly for indies/last-gen games and an alternative to the Xbox One for access to those "exclusives."

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
http://slickdeals.net/f/8897435-cyberpower-syber-vapor-xtreme-small-form-factor-gaming-pc-i7-6700-gtx-1070-8gb-1210-free-shipping

Ugly case notwithstanding, anyone have a perspective on this (perhaps with the usb 3.1 mobo and cooler upgrade)?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MixMasterMalaria posted:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8897435-cyberpower-syber-vapor-xtreme-small-form-factor-gaming-pc-i7-6700-gtx-1070-8gb-1210-free-shipping

Ugly case notwithstanding, anyone have a perspective on this (perhaps with the usb 3.1 mobo and cooler upgrade)?

Fair warning, USB 3.0/SuperSpeed is technically also USB 3.1 (Gen 1), lots of motherboard companies just slap a USB 3.1 label on a USB 3.0 motherboard and call it a day. Make sure you're getting a USB 3.1 Gen 2 (aka SuperSpeed+ or 10gbps) or Type-C if you're paying for an upgrade.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 5, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

For anyone that ordered the Ncase M1, did you get another email after the paypal receipt with shipping info, etc? How long did it take to arrive if you did? I ordered on Friday and just have the email from Paypal. I'm fully expecting this case to take 3 weeks or so to arrive, just curious about the communication part.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Bass Bottles posted:

Lol woah thanks, didn't even know this thread existed. I was just expecting people to tell me I was stupid for looking at pre-builts.

That's a pretty cool service. $50 is ridiculously cheap. I was looking into something similar from Microcenter but that said it "started" at $120, from what I could tell.

Any suggestions for a good case that runs quiet and cool? I know that's a problem with these smaller ones, but I was looking at cube-shaped ones from cooler master that might be good?

My budget is flexible and I have very little idea what I'm doing. I'm not looking to spend thousands as this is mostly for indies/last-gen games and an alternative to the Xbox One for access to those "exclusives."

The two I linked have well-designed cooling, with the Node fitting a standard ATX motherboard while the Grandia a microATX (mATX). Not "SFF" by any means, but that gives you a bit more flexibility in choosing components and future upgrade paths. Since you mentioned in the parts thread that you want it to fit in a media center, I'd recommend these style of cases over cube ones, as they'll fit better into a shelf or cabinet.

If you pop back into the parts thread with one of these style of cases in mind they can set you up with a good build for your budget.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With the Grandia is it possible to fit a radiator beside the motherboard?

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Coredump posted:

For anyone that ordered the Ncase M1, did you get another email after the paypal receipt with shipping info, etc? How long did it take to arrive if you did? I ordered on Friday and just have the email from Paypal. I'm fully expecting this case to take 3 weeks or so to arrive, just curious about the communication part.

I got a shipping notification and DHL tracking number ~3 weeks after I ordered, and received it roughly a week after.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
I recently built:

CPU: Intel i5 6600k
MOBO: Gigebyte Z170N-Wifi

And I'm pretty happy with it, but what I've noticed is that the huge fan at the front of the case give me a massive reservoir of cool air between the front of the case and the cpu cooler, but the air behind the cpu cooler is kind of still. My mobo only supports 2 fans (1 cpu, and 1 case), but is there some other way to power two 80 mm fans at the back of the case, to get better air flow?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

particle9 posted:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.69 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($196.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Silverstone FTZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.58 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1530.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 23:45 EDT-0400

Typing from this monster. Took an hour and change to set up. I ended up putting the heatsink on last which was maybe possibly a mistake. The case is amazing once it's closed, building in such a tight space is definitely a challenge. There is zero cable management here. Management boiled down to "lets try and shove all of this far enough away from the heatsink that it doesn't bend forward". The thermals are good so far. After 10 minutes or so at 100% CPU it gets up to about 56, idles around 39. The CPU fan is by far the loudest thing so far, but I haven't fired off a game yet. Definitely happy with the build. My work buddy is building in a Fractal 202 tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

edit: Scored 17000+ on Firestrike without even overclocking anything.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 6, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Salted_Pork posted:

My mobo only supports 2 fans (1 cpu, and 1 case), but is there some other way to power two 80 mm fans at the back of the case, to get better air flow?

You can get adapters to convert from Molex (or SATA, probably) on your PSU to fan headers, or the more expensive route of new fans that connect to Molex directly. Be aware though that some 80mm fans are quite fast and loud at the full 12V, so if you have ones like this you may want to get 5V or 7V adapters like Noctua's NA-SRC10 to slow them down. I actually have the Core V1 for a BGA Celeron board which works fine passively cooled and turned the front fan down to the lowest voltage that would spin it up, which made it really silent as far as I could tell.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Salted_Pork posted:

I recently built:

And I'm pretty happy with it, but what I've noticed is that the huge fan at the front of the case give me a massive reservoir of cool air between the front of the case and the cpu cooler, but the air behind the cpu cooler is kind of still. My mobo only supports 2 fans (1 cpu, and 1 case), but is there some other way to power two 80 mm fans at the back of the case, to get better air flow?

Most if not all of Arctic's fans have T-shaped fan plugs that are able to daisy-chain together and share a single fan plug (and PWM, where applicable).

I have the same case as yours and I use two F8 Pro PWM for the rear exhaust, they're pretty good fans and cheap, too. Get the ones that are made specifically for exhausting and have screw holes on one side only, they're super silent (they're housed in a flexible rubber structure).

My only complaint is that they're pretty ugly and with the V1 they're in plain sight, unbraided cables and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Salted_Pork posted:

I recently built:

I have the same case and I really don't think you need more fans. Hell, I have the front fan turned off and a big fuckoff passive cooler on a 6700k and it's not throttling.

You could switch the panels around so the noon-GPU side is covered and the air can only leave the back and top maybe? Still, what are your actual temps and overclock that you feel you need more air flow?