Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This was talked about a lot before in the last thread. For my money, basic janitorial stuff is handled by robots and/or other advanced tech, and land is granted on a meritocratic basis. Sisko's dad makes good cajun food so who ever runs that area of the planet gives him a license to run a restaurant in that area on the basis of being culturally significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

For my money, basic janitorial stuff is handled by robots and/or other advanced tech

I wish. Didn't we see Jake being a busboy or doing other low-skill poo poo work when they visited Grandpa?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So I've been watching Voyager because I ran out of good Star Trek. I haven't been watching every episode and just doing the higher rated ones and those significant for continuity.

A friend of mine was interested in watching some Trek so I made a google doc of the "must watch" episodes. I stole the ones for Voyager and Enterprise from reddit as I'm not super familiar with those.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E-94j3l56UtoTVtc8sRW5vlqsXciDfcFlfvfJVsAW80/edit?usp=sharing

There's a few good ones here and there. I like the one where the Doctor goes to the USS Prometheus and meets Andy Dick. And the Equinox was good.

I just watched the one where Ensign Kim's girlfriend comes back from the dead as a Kobali. I kinda liked that one because she was kinda cute when they gave her some hair, even though she's still a living corpse. As per usual, one of Voyager's guest stars is more interesting and likable than the actual cast and I was just wishing she was a main character.

WickedHate posted:

This was talked about a lot before in the last thread. For my money, basic janitorial stuff is handled by robots and/or other advanced tech, and land is granted on a meritocratic basis. Sisko's dad makes good cajun food so who ever runs that area of the planet gives him a license to run a restaurant in that area on the basis of being culturally significant.

I wish we saw more robots in Star Trek.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I wish. Didn't we see Jake being a busboy or doing other low-skill poo poo work when they visited Grandpa?

Eh, chalk it up to him intentionally turning them off to teach Jake the value of hard work or something. It's like when kids today visit their grandparents and get their phones taken away and made to chop wood and man grandparents suck.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The character I wish had gotten to stick around more is Lt. George Primmin

He is only in 2 episodes of DS9, his character is supposed to be Star Fleet's security officer on station (same thing they did with Eddington a couple of seasons later). The off camera reason for him was that Colm Meaney was going to be busy with some movie shoots so they needed a new character to fill his role of the everyman. But it's like the writers pretty much just forgot about Primmin and put him on a bus shuttlecraft and never brought him up again.

I loved Primmin. He was kind of lazy, a little antagonistic towards Odo, and just kind of goofy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's like the Sims. You pick a career field and then you start at the bottom. First you're a busboy, then you're a waiter, then you're a cook, then you own a restaurant, then you're the president. But most of the time you are standing in your standard issue living cubicle, pissing yourself.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 5, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gammatron 64 posted:

As per usual, one of Voyager's guest stars is more interesting and likable than the actual cast and I was just wishing she was a main character.

Is that the mom from Suite Life of Zack and Cody sheriff from Supernatural? No wonder she's likeable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
After a couple centuries of existence, Data's entire life would be meeting a person and then immediately watching them age and die.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

It's like the Sims. You pick a career field and then you start at the bottom. First you're a busboy, then you're a waiter, then you're a cook, then you own a restaurant, then you're the president. But most of the time you are standing in your standard issue living cubicle, pissing yourself.

Career event!

The shipment of fresh clams is late! Do you:

[Replicate some and try to pass them off as fresh] or [Whip up a new dish on the fly with what you have?]

*pick answer*

Nothing matters because your customers eat for free! You get promoted!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Imagine Sub Rosa if Pulaski stayed the doctor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A particularly erotic chapter in her granddaugh—you know what, never mind

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've dug around, but I can't see this having been discussed before:

Does anyone know any functional difference between the complete Blu-Ray TNG collection set and the individual seasons (as well as any difference between the US/UK complete series sets)? The Amazon reviews don't help much - the closest I can find was someone talking about different commentary and specials that were on the double dip releases (Best of Both Worlds, Redemption, etc)... I think?

The insane price difference vs. the individual seasons just seems too good to be true and I don't want to miss out on anything.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

After The War posted:

Does anyone know any functional difference between the complete Blu-Ray TNG collection set and the individual seasons
As far as I know, the only difference is the packaging. The Complete Box Set is literally the same exact discs as the seven season releases, shoved into a lousier box. No differences, no new extras.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

cheetah7071 posted:

The best explanation I've heard is that while basic needs and sufficient luxuries are freely available, if you want to satisfy intangibles like ambition or obtaining the respect of your peers, or something limited, like real estate, you better go get a job

And for everyone who doesn't feel like doing anything in particular, there's always space heroin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxGinbIfaE

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

A couple of things about money apparently being obsolete in the Federation;

There are many references in DS9 to (gold-pressed) latinum, which comes in the form of slips, strips, bars, and bricks. The Ferengi, and especially Quark, are always looking for ways to get the stuff. As we all know.

I remember an episode where one of the characters was talking about latinum being more practical than whatever their currency was before, saying something to the effect of "it beats having to make change with an eyedropper."

I also seem to remember one of the characters in TNG talking about "credits" in a way that sounded monetary. I think they were given a ration of credits for time in the holodeck, too. Maybe the Federation pays their crews a certain amount when payday rolls around?

So it seems to me there's something that circulates as legal tender, whether credits or latinum.

What does the thread think about this?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I always figured there's an account in a computer somewhere for every Federation citizen, and that it ticks up too fast for most people to ever worry about running low*. But if you want to start buying space ships or urban real estate you need to do something to pull in more credits. By for example running a popular restaurant, or working on a long range cargo hauler.

*Because the means of production have been socialized and automated.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 6, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Met posted:

Same actress as Worf's Mate, Lady Q, and the bad Andorian Woman.

Oh yeah, glower at me harder baby.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Starfleet pays the crew a stipend so they can go to alien worlds and buy things. They have no need for it on a starship or on a Federation planet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

King Possum III posted:

I remember an episode where one of the characters was talking about latinum being more practical than whatever their currency was before, saying something to the effect of "it beats having to make change with an eyedropper."

Pretty sure that was the gold pressing - latinum is normally liquid.

Supposedly the thing about latinum was that it was unreplicatable, or at least cost more in energy/source matter to replicate than it was worth.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah, glower at me harder baby.

Right? Arousal is the only logical response. :heysexy:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also I think all transactions within the Federation are handled by computer, so most people genuinely never think about money unless it comes to very large transactions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's an article theorizing about Star Trek's economy I came across recently.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

King Possum III posted:

There are many references in DS9 to (gold-pressed) latinum, which comes in the form of slips, strips, bars, and bricks. The Ferengi, and especially Quark, are always looking for ways to get the stuff. As we all know.

I also seem to remember one of the characters in TNG talking about "credits" in a way that sounded monetary. I think they were given a ration of credits for time in the holodeck, too. Maybe the Federation pays their crews a certain amount when payday rolls around?

So it seems to me there's something that circulates as legal tender, whether credits or latinum.

Watch Who Mourns for Morn again. Latinum is liquid naturally, it's bound up in useless gold to form units of currency. Much like Dilithium, Latinum is an invention of the show; it can't be replicated and is rare enough to use as a means of exchange and store of wealth.

There will always be some scarcity, if even just real estate. Energy isn't free either. The Federation maintains a basic standard of living for its citizens, probably through a combination of hand outs and a basic income. As long as there are physical things to move around there will be some form of economy it's just not discussed because they are "beyond that kind of thing" (i.e. Gene thought that it sounded like a good hook for a utopia in the 60s)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

King Possum III posted:

I figure stuff like holodeck "credits" were just like chitties or schedule access since there's only like four big holodecks and fourteen little ones, and they gotta serve how many people for rec space? To say nothing of getting used for actual poo poo like training. So probably everyone gets yea number of holodeck hours per unit of time measurement for personal use. If people wanna club up they can spend more time in there RPing with their bros.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect that for energy, replicators, and most things, it's like we regard my 1000GB internet monthly cap. Theoretically there, but practically irrelevant. Abuse it heavily and you might get capped. But if I want to do something large-scale and public, I'd need to go through a process to apply for more, like today to do large scale hosting I'd need a hosting plan.

Prime real estate is the big question, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I expect that for energy, replicators, and most things, it's like we regard my 1000GB internet monthly cap. Theoretically there, but practically irrelevant. Abuse it heavily and you might get capped. But if I want to do something large-scale and public, I'd need to go through a process to apply for more, like today to do large scale hosting I'd need a hosting plan.

Prime real estate is the big question, though.
I think something else to keep in mind is that in a post-scarcity replicator fiesta of an economy, there'd be much less of a reason to have the same places be... prime real estate. Yeah, you can only have so many people living in Manhattan, but people won't be wanting to live in Manhattan because "they can't afford to leave" or "to avoid a 4 hour commute to the job they need to survive."

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
People want to live in Manhattan because that is where things happen. No amount of replicators are going to make more tickets for Hamilton.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Probably the most impactful of the series because it went on for seven seasons, and of them, five of them were quite excellent. This defines the environment where Deep Space 9 and Voyager take place. Generally episodic, but the first season is rather wonky and the seventh season shows definite signs of running out of ideas.

It's been a long while since I've experienced the last season of TNG, to the point where I'm not sure that I actually have. What was so bad about it?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That's a really good point. If we have transporter technology, or even maglev technology, then someone could live in Schenectady but beam/maglev into Manhattan once or twice a week to see Broadway shows, eat at restaurants (presumably there would be a waiting list for reservations, which wouldn't cost anything but you'd have to wait your turn), go to museums, etc.

The only drawback I see in the post-scarcity economy is that things like restaurants and museums would have long waiting lists - but in a world where there's no significant time/effort difference between going to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, the Getty Villa in Malibu, or Art Basel in Miami, there is bound to be SOMEWHERE worth going that a) you haven't seen yet and b) has an opening when you want to go.

EDIT: or, like, you could decide you wanted to see a UNESCO heritage site this afternoon, and you could bring up the website that tells you which ones have space left for today, and it turns out you can go to Mesa Verde or Angkor Wat at 2:00pm followed by a 4:00pm visit to Pompeii (which you've been to before, but the House of the Surgeon was closed last time and you really just need 45 minutes to check it out) so, why the hell not? Beam on down!

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 6, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Earth appears to be a paradise in the 24th century, has there ever been a stated population level?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Approximately 9 billion, all Borg.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's been a long while since I've experienced the last season of TNG, to the point where I'm not sure that I actually have. What was so bad about it?

I thought season 7 was fine. Not quite as amazing as 3-6, but still pretty good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sunday at work posted:

People want to live in Manhattan because that is where things happen. No amount of replicators are going to make more tickets for Hamilton.
Yeah, but the Holoconcert version of it is just as good. My local holotheatre was packed.

My LCARs diagnostician/Isolinear systems manager friend has a holosuite in his house and he said it was better than seeing it live. Of course the requisitions he had to apply for that were insane. The wait time for the builders was bad, but thankfully he handles most of the systems calibration himself.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yes, exactly.

If we had HD holographic technology, then you could see live theater like you go to a movie. Frankly, I wish it were easier to see live theater at the cinema, since I still haven't managed to it on one of the Met Opera or RSC nights.

poo poo, sports would be amazing. EDIT: obviously I would replay the 2000 AUS vs NZ game from Sydney. If I got drunk enough I might even try to tackle holo-Lomu (Holomu?) with the safeties disengaged.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 6, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Was at Bookmans again today.

Saw these:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Gonz posted:

Was at Bookmans again today.

Saw these:

The Federations Oliver North, oh wait that's old McCoy, not that really old Admiral that got really young, then really, really young, Nevermind.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 6, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Caps.

God drat it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno posted:

Space Caps.

God drat it.

Reg kept all his Space Caps in his Space Hugbox.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Earth appears to be a paradise in the 24th century, has there ever been a stated population level?
Unclear. Presumably a lot of people died in WW3/the post atomic horror/etc. but there's been peace for a long while. At the same time there's also places people could go to be colonists or just to, you know, hang out. And they're bothering to make an artificial continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I had a look to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and yeah old Bones looks just like creepy old Admiral war criminal.

Old McCoy

Old Admiral dude

guess they recycled the make up.