Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
+R is a busy mess with too much poo poo added in for the sake of adding poo poo in, it feels like someone took AC and made a mugen out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nah, adding poo poo for the sake of adding it is reserved for slowdowns, camera angle pans, and danger time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Revelator is getting put on ps now already.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nah, adding poo poo for the sake of adding it is reserved for slowdowns, camera angle pans, and danger time.

The 1 second camera motion makes your shortlist for bad additions?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

General Morden posted:

great way to kill aris's hopes and dreams

Aris is content living in the past and playing sc2 via dolphin

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

Revelator is getting put on ps now already.

now you can local versus the way it was meant - in 8f lag

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Camera angle pan on dusts and KO, truly a bloated nonsensical addition much worse than adding force breaks and frcs that circumvent intentionally designed character weaknesses

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Force Breaks and FRCs at least contribute 25 meter offensive options that you can do even during blockstrings or combos, unlike forced RRCs. And FRCs don't eat inputs like YRC flashes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pomp posted:

now you can local versus the way it was meant - in 8f lag

SFV is truly the trendsetter of FGs

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008
tekken 7 fr been released in Korea/Japan, bunch of stuff being posted on Twitter

Big Akuma combo https://mobile.twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/750177009741901825/video/1

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
lol

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Force Breaks and FRCs at least contribute 25 meter offensive options that you can do even during blockstrings or combos, unlike forced RRCs. And FRCs don't eat inputs like YRC flashes.

I'm not talking about all force breaks and frcs, I'm fine with them conceptually I just hate those that were added and either

1) Have no/marginal use (Chipp genrouzan fb: forced proration on hit, counter state until landing, negative double digit frames on block, Chipp generally has better combo options on ground to air hit and it only combos from 5H/6H anyway)
2) Cover up weaknesses of the character that are there by design (Chipp S teleport frc which gets around his lack of backward mobility/repositioning ability, Jam asanagi fb lol)

To a lesser extent characters with fbs that are so good you'd never spend meter on anything else but that's not as bad since there are and were characters with frcs/rcs/supers/ like that too

Some YRCs have the same problem which is why I'm not crazy about them either but please don't act like there wasn't poo poo all over the place in ACPR that didn't need to be there

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ah, I see what you mean. Usually when I see people complain about FRCs, it's on the mechanic as a whole. You have a point on the additions that I tend to overlook just by virtue of having a character (HOS) who benefited pretty greatly overall from the update. For me, the difference comes in the problems I have with +R are more character specific, whereas the problems I have with Xrd are on a system mechanics level.

Personally though, I just find it more engaging and refreshing to play. That's not to say that I hate Xrd, just that it isn't as satisfying, and jumping back and forth lately really has me missing it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Speaking of lag, this was probably posted already but just because it's a common complaint now, I thought Harada's comments were interesting:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tekken-7-director-addresses-input-lag-controversy-/1100-6441482/

quote:

"Since when did everyone become so knowledgeable about input lag? If everyone is so sensitive to this, of course you know exactly how many frames of input lag there were in past titles? I have a feeling many people are just prone to being swayed by popular catchwords. I have a question for everyone. In the 90s, how many frames of input lag did Virtua Fighter have? How about Tekken?" Harada said.

"People have never complained about input lag in Tekken before, have they? Tag 2 was highly regarded, wasn’t it? Do you think input lag frames is a certain number? Do you understand how it works? The actual mechanism is different depending on the game. If Tekken’s gameplay feels good, is there really a point in asking this question?

"It’s quite frustrating to keep hearing this question, when it is hardly relevant. Don’t try to sum up the whole of a game’s mechanics with one catchphrase. Tekken 7 is the first arcade fighting game to have online play between arcades around the country. It costs roughly $1 per play. Do you really think it would be this successful and well received if everyone was complaining about input lag?

"Abroad, many top players have had many chances to play TK7 and TK7FR at Wizard World, Evo, and other events. I haven’t heard any complaints about input lag from them either. Same with the hardcore players and media that played the game at E3. I think that is your answer. By the way, what is the monitor you use at home to play games? I would be more concerned about the possibility of lag on that, instead."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
He's not wrong about human psychology but lol "if we made a really lovely design decision, don't you think we would be less succesful?"

No Harada, I don't think particularly think so.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I understand his frustration because a lot of people asking about input lag don't really understand WHY it's an issue in Street Fighter, and how it's a question you can't just ASK about a fighting game without taking into account how fast its attacks are, it it's on a 2D or 3D plane, etc. Also, when you're being interviewed to promote your game for a mainstream audience it's really not you wanna talk about. However, yeah, the point is that MOST people don't give a gently caress about this poo poo and don't even notice it, but nowadays, for the 8-frame spergs, it's both easier to find out about minute details AND to figure out it could be affecting you.

Plus, Overwatch is the most successful release in a while and it has 20 tick servers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's right though I'm curious about the input delay on like Virtua Fighter and whatnot because I'm going to assume it's close to 0.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The point is that it's not a universally meaningful number and depends on how the game engine works and a bunch of other poo poo. In the case of SFV it's stupid and makes stuff work that shouldn't (SFV feels kind of bad for a lot of other reasons though), and now that people are latching on to "lol 8 frames" it's going to be de rigueur to ask "yeah but what's the input lag like in THIS game" when it didn't used to matter.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Guillermus posted:

PC and Xbox360 here. I may get a PS4 next year but right now just PC for fighting games.
There's nothing wrong with Sign, it's just that people have moved on to Revelator so you're going to have a hard time getting matches. If you're OK with that then I would recommend getting it because Xrd is a good game, it has one of the best tutorials, and playing Sign now will prepare you for Revelator whenever that gets released on PC.

The GGXrd thread is here if you want to ask questions or set up matches with goons: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677148.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

tekken: 10 frame jabs
street fighter 5: 3-5 frame jabs

your welcome harada (veteran videogame professional)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How is Pokken's online?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The other thing I like about Soul Calibur: i10 is really loving fast in that game while it'd be slow as hell in Street Fighter. Gives the game a completely different feel, much like the difference between Dark Souls (slow animations, commitment, minimal cancels) and DMC (literally the opposite in every way). Both good games with very different intentional feel... and difference consequences regarding, say, input lag.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

fadam posted:

How is Pokken's online?

I think it's mostly okay. Some far out connections are rough but when I played Pokken before there was a lot of players around in general with good enough connections that I could barely remember the bad ones.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Flinger posted:

tekken: 10 frame jabs
street fighter 5: 3-5 frame jabs

your welcome harada (veteran videogame professional)

How fast is a tekken sidestep? 30 frames? Compared to a dash that doesn't show movement till frame 8, and ends 9 frames after that, making reacting to it largely theoretical in a -8f environment? Do they get their own games?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
At this point I'm glad that these devs at least get that FGs should be at 60 fps ideally and we all (seem to?) agree on that. The arguments about input delay with "Do you seriously notice the difference?" is just reminding me about all sorts of 30 vs 60 fps arguments of not being fully aware.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

fadam posted:

How is Pokken's online?
As long as you have a wired connection it's fine.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

may contain peanuts posted:

As long as you have a wired connection it's fine.

it's too bad you have to buy an external peripheral in order to have a wired connection with the WiiU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

How fast is a tekken sidestep? 30 frames? Compared to a dash that doesn't show movement till frame 8, and ends 9 frames after that, making reacting to it largely theoretical in a -8f environment? Do they get their own games?

I feel like even you don't know what you're posting about anymore.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the gift of sf5 keeps on giving

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Brosnan posted:

I don't know what you're posting about.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Brosnan posted:

it aod, he never knew

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Are we talking about Makoto's ribbon

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

General Morden posted:

the gift of sf5 keeps on giving

Put money in, get anger out!

On a serious note, Capcom's shoddy PR and hastiness really made SFV difficult for me to get into. It's also horribly optimized if at all. I really enjoyed USFIV and have ~2200 hours on it, but only about 90 hours on SFV which I've made a deliberate effort to enjoy, but to no avail.

To be honest, I probably just need a system upgrade then I'll enjoy it a lot more and if they add Makoto, I'll definitely be happy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FoxStrats posted:

Put money in, get anger out!

On a serious note, Capcom's shoddy PR and hastiness really made SFV difficult for me to get into. It's also horribly optimized if at all. I really enjoyed USFIV and have ~2200 hours on it, but only about 90 hours on SFV which I've made a deliberate effort to enjoy, but to no avail.

To be honest, I probably just need a system upgrade then I'll enjoy it a lot more and if they add Makoto, I'll definitely be happy.

What are you trying to run it at? It's stable enough in an i3 with a 950 here, which is midrange for a broken Brazilian and probably budget for imperialistic pigs. I had some issues at release that were magically fixed by updating to W10 - I'm assuming it was some weird driver conflict.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

FoxStrats posted:

I really enjoyed USFIV and have ~2200 hours on it

You have my sympathies. :stare:

......But seriously though, that's an average of 20 hours per week for the past 2 years that you could have spent on playing dozens of much better FGs.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Shiki Dan posted:

You have my sympathies. :stare:

......But seriously though, that's an average of 20 hours per week for the past 2 years that you could have spent on playing dozens of much better FGs.

On the other hand I wish there was a fighting game I could play that much.

Just give me third strike on steam with a "find anonymous sex match" button

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Serenade posted:

On the other hand I wish there was a fighting game I could play that much.

Just give me third strike on steam with a "find anonymous sex match" button

3rd strike is now part of the ps now collection so there are probably dozens of bored hotel guests on there at all hours of the day with too much input delay to defend themselves against you

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I like +r and xrd.

Can't have enough testament also I just played it casually with friends so I had fun, but also played it online like 4 times. Ex characters were also deliciously unneeded but fun.

For me KOF lives or dies based on netcode.

KOf13 left a bad taste

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 7, 2016

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

In Training posted:

Holy crap KOFXIV comes out in like 6 weeks.

I hope they spend these 6 weeks removing all the jank because the game doesn't look or feel very good at the moment (or the last time they showed it)

Also you can save yourself a ton of grief by just assuming the netcode will be terrible and this is another offline KOF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-NKXS1m2I

well this is a

thing