Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

greatn posted:

This is the proper puzzle solution.

Yep. Also I grab the Titan Mitt out of the first half of the Thieves Hideout as soon as physically possible to unlock the Tempered Sword. It makes the early Dark World dungeons go so much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zonekeeper posted:

Yep. Also I grab the Titan Mitt out of the first half of the Thieves Hideout as soon as physically possible to unlock the Tempered Sword. It makes the early Dark World dungeons go so much faster.

That's a bad strategy because when you exit a dungeon before beating it your number of tries increases and you can't beat the game with 000 tries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electromax posted:

Just finished the MM Stone dungeon for the first time, the gravity flip is a cool mechanic. It's too bad that the 4 dungeons feel pretty abbreviated to me, I assume due to the 3-day time limit. Felt like a big complex thing was about to kickoff with lots of flipping, but then I only had to do it like twice before I beat the boss and one of those was just for fairies.

I'd never done that or Great Bay water Temple, but they didn't quite exceed Water and Spirit from OoT. I'm also replaying WW at the same time, really enjoy the Deku Leaf but again after beating the Tower and realizing I only have 2 big dungeons left + the final one, it does feel short. OoT feels about right in length to me I guess, TP felt a little long but I haven't replayed since 2007 so I'm curious to see if my opinion changes. MM has some pretty fun stuff between levels though.

Majora's Mask isn't really a game about the Temples like other Zeldas, it's about the people you meet going about their daily lives in the face of impending doom.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zonekeeper posted:

Same here. You also have to return the blacksmith to his partner, among other things, in order to eventually get the Super Bomb to spawn. I was surprised by this as I always assumed that both sword upgrades past level 2 were optional. Apparently this is also required to get the final bottle, which I can verify from recent experience. Apparently the game engine doesn't support having more than one thing/person following you at once, so they have flags that check to see if the blacksmiths are reunited before you can drag around the bomb or the purple chest.

I never realised how soon you can technically get the silver arrows and the golden sword. Apparently all you need is to rescue the blacksmith and beat the Ice Palace and Misery Mire. Granted, you need the hammer and the hookshot and the Titan's Mitt to beat those dungeons, but it's nice that the flexibility is there.

greatn posted:

That's a bad strategy because when you exit a dungeon before beating it your number of tries increases and you can't beat the game with 000 tries.

No idea what you are on about.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In the end of the credit it shows every dungeon name and your number of attempts. If you beat a dungeon in one visit without dying it counts as zero. For a perfect run you want your final count to be 0.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

greatn posted:

In the end of the credit it shows every dungeon name and your number of attempts. If you beat a dungeon in one visit without dying it counts as zero. For a perfect run you want your final count to be 0.

I had forgotten about that. I don't personally care about that statistic, but it's kind of crap that voluntarily leaving a dungeon before you finish it is held against you in some slight way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I might be wrong, it might be saving and quitting before finishing one you started.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

In the original LttP, the tries counter ticked up whenever you either died or save/quit. The GBA rerelease removed the save/quit condition to make it purely a death count. Simply walking out of a dungeon doesn't do anything.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is LA the only Zelda that rewards you for never dying?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

Same here. You also have to return the blacksmith to his partner, among other things, in order to eventually get the Super Bomb to spawn. I was surprised by this as I always assumed that both sword upgrades past level 2 were optional. Apparently this is also required to get the final bottle, which I can verify from recent experience. Apparently the game engine doesn't support having more than one thing/person following you at once, so they have flags that check to see if the blacksmiths are reunited before you can drag around the bomb or the purple chest.

I never realised how soon you can technically get the silver arrows and the golden sword. Apparently all you need is to rescue the blacksmith and beat the Ice Palace and Misery Mire. Granted, you need the hammer and the hookshot and the Titan's Mitt to beat those dungeons, but it's nice that the flexibility is there.

If you have to reunite the blacksmiths before getting the Super Bomb (and thus access to Silver Arrows), how are Green Tunic/Master Sword/13 Heart runs possble? Or do the smiths not automatically upgrade your sword once you reunite them?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I call it zelder scrolls and also I will buy an NX to play this

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is LA the only Zelda that rewards you for never dying?

How does LA reward you for never dying?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

drunk asian neighbor posted:

How does LA reward you for never dying?

There's a secret at the end of the game if you never die.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010

C-Euro posted:

If you have to reunite the blacksmiths before getting the Super Bomb (and thus access to Silver Arrows), how are Green Tunic/Master Sword/13 Heart runs possble? Or do the smiths not automatically upgrade your sword once you reunite them?

They don't automatically do it. You have to leave the house and re-enter. And then they even charge you a small amount for the service.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Evil Eagle posted:

There's a secret at the end of the game if you never die.

Specifically You see Marin flying as a seagull, which is a callback to some of her earlier dialogue.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

C-Euro posted:

You don't actually need the silver arrows to beat Ganon. You can spin attack as he's coming out of his teleport to damage him IIRC. Speed runs never get the silver arrows.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

C-Euro posted:

I could be wrong and I know nothing about speed/minimalist runs, but several people beat me to the punch anyway (so sue me, I was sleeping). Basically, once you take the smith back to his partner, you don't need to actually upgrade your sword. You actually have to leave the shop, go back in and talk to them again. You pay them the paltry sum of 10 rupees and a bit later you get the Tempered Sword. So, the rescue and the upgrade are independent of one another.

I am surprised that 3-heart runs are not possible. I always assumed that there was a way to leave each boss fight without picking up the heart container.

Edit: I just realised that I contradicted a post from yesterday that I made. Since reuniting the Smiths and getting the level 3 sword are separate events, it would be entirely possible, just much harder, to beat the game with a level 2 sword. Very silly of me. I don't relish the thought of trying it, or even going without at least the Blue Mail. LttP was before Zelda games started getting a little too easy, and some of the later mobs do so much damage that not having at least 50% mitigation means taking 4-6 hearts of damage from one hit.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 6, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JustJeff88 posted:

I had forgotten about that. I don't personally care about that statistic, but it's kind of crap that voluntarily leaving a dungeon before you finish it is held against you in some slight way.

Man the death counter in OoT drove me nuts as a kid. I had like over 100 in my first time through. Then 4 all to Dark Link. Then finally zero.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

Man the death counter in OoT drove me nuts as a kid. I had like over 100 in my first time through. Then 4 all to Dark Link. Then finally zero.

That poo poo's been around since the first game, too, hasn't it?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

drunk asian neighbor posted:

That poo poo's been around since the first game, too, hasn't it?

Probably. I was too young for the original games. OoT was my first in the series.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Wait wait wait

There's a death counter in OOT?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Wait wait wait

There's a death counter in OOT?

Yeah, on the save game select screen.

Unless this is a joke about how I'm bad for dying so much. I was like 8. OKAY!?!? :(

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah, on the save game select screen.

Unless this is a joke about how I'm bad for dying so much. I was like 8. OKAY!?!? :(

No, I think he's being serious, because I definitely don't remember there being a death counter. That's what that number was?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Xad posted:

No, I think he's being serious, because I definitely don't remember there being a death counter. That's what that number was?

Yep! As a sanity check because so many people are asking about it, it appears to have been removed from the remastered versions of the game. But the number on the save select screen on the n64 version is def a death counter.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ice Fist posted:

Yep! As a sanity check because so many people are asking about it, it appears to have been removed from the remastered versions of the game. But the number on the save select screen on the n64 version is def a death counter.

poo poo, the rupee display?

Goddamn, I had no idea. I remember being confused about why it wasn't recording my rupees on my second playthrough.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The only one I remembered having that was the very first Zelda on the NES, which was very blatant. At one point my save file was deleted to my great shock and horror, but I do not know if that was due to a battery issue or some kind of hard limit on deaths that would wipe your file. I do know that I died many, many times... in my defence, I was eight.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

JustJeff88 posted:

The only one I remembered having that was the very first Zelda on the NES, which was very blatant. At one point my save file was deleted to my great shock and horror, but I do not know if that was due to a battery issue or some kind of hard limit on deaths that would wipe your file. I do know that I died many, many times... in my defence, I was eight.

Between the amount of time that my mom and I spent with the original LoZ, we went through 3 different cartridges due to battery failures.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My grandma maxed out the death counter in Zelda 1 at 255. It doesn't delete your save.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Off the top of my head the file select death counter is definitely in 1,2, LttP, LA, OoT and the Oracle games. Not sure about the rest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

I could be wrong and I know nothing about speed/minimalist runs, but several people beat me to the punch anyway (so sue me, I was sleeping). Basically, once you take the smith back to his partner, you don't need to actually upgrade your sword. You actually have to leave the shop, go back in and talk to them again. You pay them the paltry sum of 10 rupees and a bit later you get the Tempered Sword. So, the rescue and the upgrade are independent of one another.

I am surprised that 3-heart runs are not possible. I always assumed that there was a way to leave each boss fight without picking up the heart container.

Edit: I just realised that I contradicted a post from yesterday that I made. Since reuniting the Smiths and getting the level 3 sword are separate events, it would be entirely possible, just much harder, to beat the game with a level 2 sword. Very silly of me. I don't relish the thought of trying it, or even going without at least the Blue Mail. LttP was before Zelda games started getting a little too easy, and some of the later mobs do so much damage that not having at least 50% mitigation means taking 4-6 hearts of damage from one hit.

I was actually thinking of doing a three-heart run this year since I've never done one before, and some suggested that I do the Master Sword/Green Tunic/13 Heart challenge. It's that or OoT (3D).

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

13 hearts with the green tunic is basically 3 hearts. Ganon does so much damage and you have to spin attack to even hurt him with the l2 sword. It's awesome.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

New DLC for Goat Simulator looks rad

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Don't stand on cragalanche, I guess.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Maybe the comparisons to Skyrim are more accurate that we once thought.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

its really weird seeing ragdolling in a nintendo game

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sharrrk posted:

its really weird seeing ragdolling in a nintendo game

Metroid Prime had ragdolling and for some reason the concept of ragdolls in video games blew my mind in 2002 when I first played it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I like how he uses that LttP ice dungeon puzzle everyone seems to hate as an example of good dungeon design.

That puzzle isn't even hard. Try Lufia 2 puzzles.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Evil Eagle posted:

13 hearts with the green tunic is basically 3 hearts. Ganon does so much damage and you have to spin attack to even hurt him with the l2 sword. It's awesome.

I did a minimalist run of A Link to The Past a few years ago, it was really fun. The hardest boss for me was Trinexx, gotta make sure you have a green potion.

I might actually try another later on this year, but I still wanna play through Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, and Link Between Worlds again. Working 50 hours a week sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone have a collection of good desktop wallpapers? This is the only one I have.