Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean this is the show that straight-up put a ghost in an episode so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm loving fodder for cartoonists now?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean this is the show that straight-up put a ghost in an episode so

Also told us what hell is - an Irish Bar

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Also told us what hell is - an Irish Bar

That was one of my biggest laughs of the series.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Ralph, at the hospital after Mustang Sally beat the crap out of Vito's brother...

"Well, it's not like he was that smart to begin with."

Just started season 4 on the latest rewatch...my GF (who grew up in Dover and never saw the show somehow) keeps getting deja vu because all of these characters remind her of people she grew up around. She was drat near on the floor laughing when "Pine Barrens" came on...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Eifert Posting posted:

That was one of my biggest laughs of the series.

I am a big fan of the Carmela's response to discovering that Janice is not getting married - That was not a marriage made in heaven

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Stairs sign and swimming are tied for #1 with no other challengers.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

bigtom posted:

Ralph, at the hospital after Mustang Sally beat the crap out of Vito's brother...

"Well, it's not like he was that smart to begin with."

Just started season 4 on the latest rewatch...my GF (who grew up in Dover and never saw the show somehow) keeps getting deja vu because all of these characters remind her of people she grew up around. She was drat near on the floor laughing when "Pine Barrens" came on...

Does she known any connected guys in Dover? Or why they named the city that?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bonzo posted:

Doubtful. I grew up in Wilmington and Newark (DE) and my grandma lived in Dover.

I seriously doubt a high level of mob influence ever made it's way into loving Dover (or Wilmington either for that matter). Philly is a different story of course but the only thing happening in Dover, DE is the racetrack, the navy yard and the bragging rights that come with being the capital of the second smallest state in the nation.

Which is to say not much.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Bonzo posted:

The cliffs, I'm assuming.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

kippa posted:

The cliffs, I'm assuming.

That's right, that's right, very good.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

bigtom posted:

I'm in North Jersey and these type of guys are all over the place. Either real mob guys or wannabes.

My dad sold his business property to a garbage company. We told them there were fuel tanks that leaked in the ground and needed to be cleared. The guy paved right over the lot and said he "worked it out" with the city. Good enough for me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I just now noticed that they switched actors for Dr. Fried in season 5. Barb too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Bonzo posted:

I just now noticed that they switched actors for Dr. Fried in season 5. Barb too.

I always enjoyed that the guy who played Vito had 3 different small roles before the character was introduced. First one was the random customer that Chris sends away from that bakery, the second is as a worker in Richie's crew, and then finally as Vito.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bonzo posted:

I think that has to do with the fact that the fourth season was supposed to be the last up until it started production and they decided to extend the series. That meant that certain peripheral actors only had contracts for the first four years of the show, necessitating recasting if they couldn't agree to new deals. It's a shame, too. I thought the actor that replaced Dr. Fried was pretty bad and completely changed the character.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I always enjoyed that the guy who played Vito had 3 different small roles before the character was introduced. First one was the random customer that Chris sends away from that bakery, the second is as a worker in Richie's crew, and then finally as Vito.

Actually, he is Vito in the scene you're referring to where he shows up to Beansie's house to install the ramp. He has his brother Brian (the one that Mustang Sally beats with a golf club) with him and Silvio refers to him as Vito. You're right about the first appearance in the bakery being a completely different character.

David Chase has told the story of Dan Grimaldi, the guy who played Philly and Patsy Parisi. Originally he was only supposed to be around for the one episode where Philly gets whacked. But Chase liked Grimaldi so much, especially his mannerisms, that he wrote the identical twin Patsy character specifically for him. Terrence Winter even says, "Most soap operas can only pull off the twin thing once. We somehow did it twice" referring to Jeannie Cusamano's twin sister.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 5, 2016

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I don't remember the episode name but the one in Season 3 where Jackie Jr. and gang hold up the card game. At the beginning of the episode Aid is watching Law and Order ( a wife can't testify against her husband) and the lawyer she's watching is the same actor that plays Dr. Fried sans wig.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bonzo posted:

I don't remember the episode name but the one in Season 3 where Jackie Jr. and gang hold up the card game. At the beginning of the episode Aid is watching Law and Order ( a wife can't testify against her husband) and the lawyer she's watching is the same actor that plays Dr. Fried sans wig.

Jackie holds up card game- s3e12 'Amour Fou'

Ad and marital privilege- s4e07, 'Watching Too Much Television '

:spergin:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

On a side note, relating to previous actors being recast, I'm always surprised by how many members of the cast were in either Goodfellas of The Godfather. Years ago, on first watch, I never even recognized Melfi as Karen from Goodfellas. For years I thought Karen was Courtney Cox.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's two roles AFAIK.

The Vito that's in Richie's crew in Season 2 is Vito.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BiggerBoat posted:

On a side note, relating to previous actors being recast, I'm always surprised by how many members of the cast were in either Goodfellas of The Godfather. Years ago, on first watch, I never even recognized Melfi as Karen from Goodfellas. For years I thought Karen was Courtney Cox.

If you count bit parts, there are even more. Vincent Pastore (Big Pussy) shows up for maybe fifteen seconds in Goodfellas to wheel a rack of fur coats into the restaurant. And the restaurant is owned by the guy that plays Larry Barese.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Paulie is one of the guys that shoves the mailman in the oven. Also when they are rough housing outside the cab stand. You hear him say, "It's your fault!"

Beansie plays one of the Pittsburgh guys.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you count bit parts, there are even more. Vincent Pastore (Big Pussy) shows up for maybe fifteen seconds in Goodfellas to wheel a rack of fur coats into the restaurant. And the restaurant is owned by the guy that plays Larry Barese.

That's what I'm talking about. Every time I rewatch this show I'll see some person I recognize from Goodfellas. A Quick Google search says they shared 27 actors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-sopranos-and-goodfellas-shared-27-actors-a6841556.html

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always liked the references to the never-seen cousin Josephine. She's usually the one to call when someone in the extended family dies. Early in the series Livia informs Tony that she left the good jewelry to her and Tony's response is "You gave a fuckin' cousin Cartier dinner rings and you give me a vibratin' chair?!"

Also, "My cousin Josephine had colon cancer. Her entire rear end in a top hat rotted out"

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, like all NY actors who were working during that era, most of the cast played a perp on Law & Order at some point.

Hell, Michael Imperioli even went one better and played one of the lead detectives for a while.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's right, that's right, very good.

"You go all the way to a party supply store..."
However that Party Box or whatever it is literally right next door to the Bing. You can see it in a few episodes when they're talking outside.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BiggerBoat posted:

Copland shares a huge chunk of the supporting cast as well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Copland shares a huge chunk of the supporting cast as well.

I'll be damned. Never noticed that. Been a while since I've seen Copland though. I liked it.

Of all the Sopranos actors I was always surprised that Tony Sirico didn't get more character actor parts. He seems like a perfect fit for that sort of things. And holy poo poo, reading his bio, I never realized that he was an actual honest to god actual gangster. 28 arrests? Maybe he wasn't acting.

Wasn't Frank Vincent alleged to have a lot of real life gangster/mob ties too? His bio doesn't mention it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't Frank Vincent alleged to have a lot of real life gangster/mob ties too? His bio doesn't mention it.

Think you're getting him confused with Tony Sirico, who did indeed have mob ties and served a few stints in prison.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Troy Queef posted:

Think you're getting him confused with Tony Sirico, who did indeed have mob ties and served a few stints in prison.
You should read the whole post. :)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The guy that played Albert Barese was connected and got arrested between the fourth and fifth seasons, so his lawyer told him maybe he shouldn't be playing a mobster on television anymore. That's why his character disappears in the fifth season after gaining more and more prominence over the previous three, and why they took Larry Barese off house arrest.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Albert was the best. So completely deadpan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3Nvi5vVxw

He's in no position to go into the unknown, not knowing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

Also, like all NY actors who were working during that era, most of the cast played a perp on Law & Order at some point.

Hell, Michael Imperioli even went one better and played one of the lead detectives for a while.

I seem to remember reading an article that said when Law & Order shut down, there was a mild panic among the local NYC actors because it was an ideal gig for "hey! it's that guy!" actors and those that were try to move from the stage to TV.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There's a new HBO show out that was originally supposed to star James Gandolfini. He's listed as executive producer. It's called The Night Of and I hear it's great:

http://www.avclub.com/review/hbos-crime-drama-night-armchair-detectives-dream-c-239193

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You can even come discuss it in the thread I made for it this morning!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782601&perpage=40

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a new HBO show out that was originally supposed to star James Gandolfini. He's listed as executive producer. It's called The Night Of and I hear it's great:

http://www.avclub.com/review/hbos-crime-drama-night-armchair-detectives-dream-c-239193

gently caress, I can't decide if I should be happy that it's a great show, or sad because Gandolfini isn't in it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well, when you're married you'll understand the importance of fresh produce!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I could have sworn that the song playing on the radio when Aid and Sil were in the car was Free Fallin' by Tom Petty. The blu ray has something different.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Bonzo posted:

I could have sworn that the song playing on the radio when Aid and Sil were in the car was Free Fallin' by Tom Petty. The blu ray has something different.

Might be a licensing issue. The season 1 DVDs I have (Australian) have all the music replaced by glaringly obvious stock music. That said, I dont remember that scene featuring Free Fallin', so it may be your memory.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nope it was always Leaving California by shawn smith he has another song in the same episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Troy Queef posted:

Tons of different roles.

Junior plays a judge and a defense attorney
Carmela plays a lawyer,
Artie played both a cop (albeit a crooked one) and a couple of different criminals,
Johnny Sack plays an old school mafioso who has an idiot son (IIRC they even riff on the Sopranos in that episode),
Patsy plays a number of bit roles best one being an angry 'inventor' who was upset that his Magnetic Pigs were ripped off,
Pussy pops up a couple of times, usually as a dumbass mob guy
Phil plays a strip club owner called Jay Z.
Hesh plays a pervy judge who sexually harasses one of the ADAs
Gigi (the guy who dies on the toilet) played the recurring character Profaci...who eventually ended up being a crooked cop with mob ties
Christopher also played a loser limo driver
Charmaine Bucco plays a Lorena Bobbitt analogue and attacks one of the detectives with a frying pan

• Locked thread