Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
AMSP is in the lower half of Radiohead albums for sure if we're talking pure songwriting, I think a lot of what's impressive about it comes from the context of Thom's personal life, really. Releasing TLW, a song not actually about true love waiting but rather the constant anxiety that your lover is going to leave you over the tiniest little thing, after your girlfriend of 23 years has actually left you is a bone-chilling move.

If you don't know the context the album just isn't as ambitious or interesting as their other stuff, maybe barely better than The Bends. And I don't care if it makes me a plebe, I can't stand Godrich's production here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
AMSP is solidified for me in the upper half of their discography, not their peak but I still love listening to it more than I did TKOL at the equivalent point in 2011, and its best songs stand with the rest of their catalogue. I think DID and the Numbers are very different songs with different feels and I don't agree at all that they lack identity. DID is kind of eerie and evokes a trance being broken, and the numbers is a rabble-rousing 70's political song with awesome cheesy strings. I'll admit that TLW has not been getting as many plays though, the piano layering is impressive to me but I'm not in love with it anymore and sometimes stop after tinker tailor. Daydreaming would have made a better closer.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
My other persisting bugbears: that title, and that artwork.

The title is just plain bad. I probably complained about it before here, can't remember, but it just doesn't work, because what shape is a moon? A circle? A sphere? A sphere-shaped pool? There's nothing specific about the shape of the moon that lends itself to anything being "moon-shaped". Something that is moon-shaped is also ball-shaped, or orange-shaped, or clock-shaped. Unlike, say, something being banana-shaped, which is specific and concrete. You dig me? It doesn't work, it doesn't scan. (And I'll never get over that missing hyphen.)

I find the artwork so bland I find it somehow actively annoying. Of all the gorgeous stuff Stanley came up with this time, they went with that?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If someone is describing the shape of the moon, they often describe it as a crescent.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A crescent-moon shaped pool would be an oxbow lake, or billabong.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Ballz posted:

If someone is describing the shape of the moon, they often describe it as a crescent.

But that's the other thing. "A Crescent-Shaped Pool" would have been a much more specific image. But that isn't what the album's called. Why allow for that lovely ambiguity?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
it's not a moon-shaped pool

it's a moon shaped pool

as in it's a pool that's shaped by the moon

as in it's the ocean

this album is probably more about global warming than Thom Yorke's separation, looking back in hindsight. afterall, the separation occurred back in august 2015 while a whole lot of these songs debuted before. like sure, you don't have a loving relationship and then suddenly you end it but a large chunk of these songs are from 2009~2012, and a couple even before that.

also Popcorn I gotta agree. the songs themselves aren't that bad but they sound simultaneously anemic yet overproduced. really frail and skeletal sounding peformances that then have these orchestra strings and godrich-isms draped over them.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 4, 2016

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mutant Standard posted:

this album is probably more about global warming than Thom Yorke's separation, looking back in hindsight. afterall, the separation occurred back in august 2015 while a whole lot of these songs debuted before. like sure, you don't have a loving relationship and then suddenly you end it but a large chunk of these songs are from 2009~2012, and a couple even before that.

At its best, it's absolutely about both, and it's about Thom giving up entirely on trying to resist both. I can't stop listening to Daydreaming at the moment, because it really sums up my feelings of hopelessness and futility about the future of this horrible country

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

it's not a moon-shaped pool

it's a moon shaped pool

as in it's a pool that's shaped by the moon

That would still be a moon-shaped pool, with hyphen. For example "hand-written letter" or "self-taught painter".

Putting aside its shiteness as a poetic image, the grammar in the title is a gently caress-up. If there's one thing this album has taught us it's that no one understands hyphens.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 4, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hyphens are some dogshit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it is a pool that is shaped like a moon, but the shape of the pool constantly changes to map the moon as we see it. when the moon is full so is the pool, when the moon is a crescent the pool is shaped like a crescent, when the moon is new the pool is gone

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Pool Was Shaped By A Moon.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

What did you guys think of Radiohead's latest album, The Billabong?

I think it's a better title than Hail to the Thief, personally.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I do have to agree that this is Donwood's worst artwork yet.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's ugly as sin

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I'm pretty sure I've listened to Staircase more than the whole album combined (well except Daydreaming)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Someone has made a site thing where you can rank Radiohead songs for ever: http://thenumbers.rocks/

It's annoyingly absorbing. And the more people use it, the closer to the truth it gets.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
yes... finally a venue where i can shove my opinion of TKOL>AMSP onto others

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

yes... finally a venue where i can shove my opinion of TKOL>AMSP onto others

Umm, facts aren't opinions, dude.

edit; Whoa nelly at that Pablo Honey section :haw:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 6, 2016

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Rankings don't include B-Sides, list is poo poo

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

And I don't care if it makes me a plebe, I can't stand Godrich's production here.

Can you elaborate on this?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Thought this was funny. Aren't these the same song?!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Rankings don't include B-Sides, list is poo poo

Have to be on Reddit, list is poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

AMSP is much better than TKOL, but TKOL's live renditions are great, much like how the already great Amnesiac studio tracks are even better when performed live.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Do other NMD threads constantly dissolve into people ranking albums? this is uncanny.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

BigFactory posted:

Do other NMD threads constantly dissolve into people ranking albums? this is uncanny.

If we had a dedicated Frank Zappa or King Crimson thread, those would.

Radiohead are an extremely popular band who changed their sound considerably, multiple times, over the course of their career. Their most critically successful albums came after their most significant reinvention of their sound. It's entirely possible to be a Radiohead fan while liking none of the same songs as another Radiohead fan. A constantly evolving, difficult to categorize band that a lot of people are passionate about for different reasons + no consensus among fans as to what their best work even is = lists lists lists lists lists.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 7, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Radiohead aren't very difficult to categorise really.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

Radiohead are an extremely popular band who changed their sound considerably, multiple times, over the course of their career. Their most critically successful albums came after their most significant reinvention of their sound. It's entirely possible to be a Radiohead fan while liking none of the same songs as another Radiohead fan. A constantly evolving, difficult to categorize band that a lot of people are passionate about for different reasons + no consensus among fans as to what their best work even is = lists lists lists lists lists.

Nah.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Also fwiw, gently caress the AMSP final verdicts itt, for me it still stands up there with their best.

It's effusive, remote, and still a little romantic. Detailed, but not in quite the overt way they've done detail in the past, such that the songs breathe and expand more than before.

I really love it.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I really wanna debate the rankings of all the albums here but I guess that makes me OCD.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

the prog thread is full of Crimson fans and it doesnt really happen. also they are kind of a different situation in that King Crimson has been several different bands over the years, under the same name and led by the same guitarist, but still different bands with different sounds.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

First soundboard recording of an AMSP gig here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpcSmwdUV4s

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
dat bloom

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Here's a cover of Radiohead's Airbag I recorded today.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Jonny says he doesn't understand bands who complain about touring because it's great fun.

Didn't Radiohead make an entire documentary of complaining about touring?

I like doing lots of things, but if I was really good at one thing, and the people who paid me for doing that thing were like, "hey you have to do this tell it stops making us money or you go crazy" I probably wouldnt like doing that thing for a long while. Looking it up, touring OK Computer (and this was only after they started filming the doc) it was 104 dates long, and the amount of press they were doing was also way way way more then you would get from them now.

AARO posted:

Here's a cover of Radiohead's Airbag I recorded today.

This is good, I learned this song a while back but I can never sing the "the jack knife juggernaut" part in anyway way that isnt completely awful.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 20, 2016

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Part of it too was the pressure of how big OKC blew them up etc etc. It's where "How to Disappear Completely" came from due to Thom being so miserable.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Boywhiz88 posted:

. It's where "How to Disappear Completely" came from due to Thom being so miserable.

It also came from the book.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

AARO posted:

It also came from the book.

Also through conversation with Michael Stipe, who was helping Thom work through his issues at this time

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Her Dryer posted:

Also through conversation with Michael Stipe, who was helping Thom work through his issues at this time

Yep. That's where the mantra/chorus of "I'm not here. This isn't happening" came from. Michael advises it as a disassociation/meditative technique. I actually have that tattooed on my wrists. One of my favorite sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
You can download "Backdrifters", a free 30 artist 30 track album by Radiohead fans.

https://ragdollcollection.bandcamp.com/releases

My song Gaslighting is featured on the album.

AARO fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 26, 2016