Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sometimes I think about how long bosses became invincible for in the playstation X games and I just grit my teeth in disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That is the natural response to the X5 boss rush.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BlitzBlast posted:

That is the natural response to the X5 boss rush.

Who the hell thought increasing lifebars on the bosses was a good idea

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I can kind of see the logic. I always felt guilty playing Mega Man games because I really like well designed bosses but there's always a cheap way to kill them with zero challenge. Granted it requires you to figure out the one weakness but I imagine someone new on the development team was like "How do we make these guys harder while still allowing for weapon weakness" and this was the lazy conclusion they arrived at.

In my head the ideal use of Mega Man's weapons wouldn't be to stunlock a boss, it would be to get rid of one of their strengths. So like in the original X you can cut off Launch Octopus' tentacles or freeze Flame Mammoth's stage but that should be the end of it. Locking the bosses down is just really lame and takes away from cool fights but as a kid the bosses were too tough with the normal buster so I resorted to the weapons anyway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Pureauthor posted:

Probably whoever designed the rest of X5, too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like boss levels as a way to create an upward difficulty curve as you progress through the game where most MM games have it be kind of flat by necessity, but just increasing HP was lazy and having it increase with time really sucked, doubly so because with the parts system it creates a perverse incentive to waste half your time or you miss out on parts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gandlethorpe posted:

Should I just skip (the first) ZX then?

Will I miss out on important story points?
:goonsay:

I would not recommend skipping the first ZX because it is a drat good game.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Schwarzwald posted:

I would not recommend skipping the first ZX because it is a drat good game.

Already ordered it with the others. :) I realized I've been an adult with a real job for a few years now and I can just buy all the MM games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega Man ZX is really good. The Metroidvania elements are kinda dumb but everything else in the game more than makes up for that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so since some people were wondering ive heard that the online in mighty number 9 is outright broken and laggy. here's some random youtube guy's review with some footage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

so since some people were wondering ive heard that the online in mighty number 9 is outright broken and laggy. here's some random youtube guy's review with some footage

Jesus. Even without the lagging that just doesn't look fun. The game isn't designed for two people.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endorph posted:

This is a good review. I see too many that just poo poo on the game like their families are going to get Old Yeller'd if they don't.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The main issue with ZX is the map, its hard as hell to navigate but its a drat cool game otherwise.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Pureauthor posted:

Some doofus the internet saw fit to give 4 million dollars to

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

al-azad posted:

In my head the ideal use of Mega Man's weapons wouldn't be to stunlock a boss, it would be to get rid of one of their strengths. So like in the original X you can cut off Launch Octopus' tentacles or freeze Flame Mammoth's stage but that should be the end of it. Locking the bosses down is just really lame and takes away from cool fights but as a kid the bosses were too tough with the normal buster so I resorted to the weapons anyway.

My enjoyment of a mega man game tends to be directly proportional to how overpowered the boss weapons are. If I hit a boss with his weakness and he only loses 2 pips, that's a lovely Mega Man game.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
What was that really well done romhack for the one of the NES Megaman games? All I can remember specifically from it was Cossack was involved and there was a super weapon that most bosses would counter but with some ingenuity you could hit them with it anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Rockman Minus Infinity, a super extensive hack of Rockman 4 (so you can't use MM4).

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Been over a week and MN9 still isn't available for Linux (unsure about macOS). I know it's not a great game and all, but kudos to Comcept figuring out how to still delay a game after it is released.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I mean to be fair, isn't the list of modern games that actually put out linux versions (in comparison to the other ones) still really small? As squandered as this project is, I can't blame them for putting linux development on super low priority/being slow if they did it at all. I'm kind of surprised this project even said they'd even try.

VVVVV I said comparably low

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 7, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ventana posted:

I mean to be fair, isn't the list of modern games that actually put out linux versions (in comparison to the other ones) still really small? As squandered as this project is, I can't blame them for putting linux development on super low priority/being slow if they did it at all. I'm kind of surprised this project even said they'd even try.

Steam had a big push a few years back and the number of games playable on Linux really isn't bad.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The Linux and Mac versions have been outsourced to Knockout Games and was last stated to be in QA at Deep Silver.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Steam had a big push a few years back and the number of games playable on Linux really isn't bad.

GOG has a fair number as well.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
A bit of a random thing, but if any of you have and/or play the Nintendo Badge Arcade, the game was updated with a TON of Mega Man badges today. It's a tie-in for Legacy Collection, so it's all 8-bit stuff from the first 6 games but there's some neat stuff in there if you're the type of person who enjoys decorating your HOME menu or collecting pixel badges.

They should be up through next week and there's a free play giveaway today to celebrate the new additions as well. (Not 100% sure, but you'll probably want to answer the quiz he gives you to make sure you get the free play)

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Replaying Zero Collection and reminded how stupidly brutal getting the EX Skills is. Beating the games? No problem. Get an A or S rank on the 8-10 first stages? gently caress. That.

Has anyone been able to do it here? (mostly just for Zero 2 and 3)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

LemonLimeTime posted:

Replaying Zero Collection and reminded how stupidly brutal getting the EX Skills is. Beating the games? No problem. Get an A or S rank on the 8-10 first stages? gently caress. That.

... Yes? I mean, it's not... actually that difficult if you're specifically aiming for it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, getting an A rank at the very least isn't too terrible a feat.

Now going for a 100 point run of an entire game is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LemonLimeTime posted:

You can use A elves on the last 4. So A the intro yourself, A the first set yourself, then use elves on the second set and your score for Rainbow Devil doesn't matter as long as you went in with the A.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Beating the zero games is no problem?

Clearly I'm in the wrong line of work

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I've done a 100 point run on all but 2, though it was a long time ago. It's not too bad- the main sticking point for me was usually the lack of visual range to work with when I'm trying to speed up my run through stages. It's been long enough that I don't remember what else caused me trouble.

I'm not a big fan of Z2. I actually think it's weaker than the other entries in the series by a pretty large margin.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Mighty No. 9 looks like it might be a good game playing as Ray, but I can't figure out how to access that option. I entered the code and installed the dlc (PS4) and it seems to not do anything. Does anyone know what I'm not doing?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I've done a 100 point run on all but 2, though it was a long time ago. It's not too bad- the main sticking point for me was usually the lack of visual range to work with when I'm trying to speed up my run through stages. It's been long enough that I don't remember what else caused me trouble.

I'm not a big fan of Z2. I actually think it's weaker than the other entries in the series by a pretty large margin.
I think Zero 2 is the best Mega Man game ever made - though you are quite right with the screen size. Spike ball enemies are the absolute worst.

I spent more time playing Zero 3, however, just randomly decided it might be easier to do 100 points runs in that one. Got to the second half at least, then thought of getting 100 points in Volteel Biblio's abomination of a stage, then stopped.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Mighty No. 9 looks like it might be a good game playing as Ray, but I can't figure out how to access that option. I entered the code and installed the dlc (PS4) and it seems to not do anything. Does anyone know what I'm not doing?

Go beat the Ray mission, then go to the Stage Select, press up, and select Ray.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

The Ray mission isn't there. Or do you have to finish the rest of the game first?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Portable Staplefrog posted:

The Ray mission isn't there. Or do you have to finish the rest of the game first?

Make sure the DLC is properly installed, it should be there from basically the start.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LemonLimeTime posted:

Yep. It isn't terrible to get As barring a few select outliers, just gotta learn the layouts of the stages

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man zero 3 is probably my favorite mega man game ever, zero 1 and 2 are cool but they have a few too many really rough design choices weighing them down, zero 3 is the only one that's just really solid in every possible way. zero 4, too, i suppose

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

mega man zero 3 is probably my favorite mega man game ever, zero 1 and 2 are cool but they have a few too many really rough design choices weighing them down, zero 3 is the only one that's just really solid in every possible way. zero 4, too, i suppose
I value level design above everything else, so Zero 3 cannot win - Volteel, Childre, just too gimmicky and especially the first one is terrible. While Zero 2 has the best stage I've ever seen in a Mega Man game, Phoenix Magnion's.

I concede that weapon levels and cyber elves alone can be the deciding factor for people. I personally have always liked the weapon levels because it feels good to level up and get better, even in a Mega Man game; and Elves never bothered me, but even with the vastly reduced costs in comparison to Zero 1, they're still just at terrible idea in principle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

2's villain is so terrible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I greatly appreciate Elpizo's goofy grandstanding and sinister-prettyboy-vogue aesthetic. Second half of his fight is such a lame pushover though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lurdiak posted:

2's villain is so terrible.

please don't say bad things about my close friend elpizo