Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

common core is better than what was before but still not great because its not the best for indivual needs of students, but to get to the point where we even talk about the individual needs of students we need good rear end teachers who even care about that poo poo

Or maybe not 25-40 students per teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kashuno posted:

Or maybe not 25-40 students per teacher

i went to school in a town that had a population of 400 something and my graduating class was like 29 people. the elementary school and high school were all one building.

i forget what the average number of students a teacher actually has is lol

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Also just had a student legitimately believe that adding to the top and bottom of a fraction made the same fraction. You heard it here first: 1/2 = 2/3 = 3/4

This person is going to be a teacher who needs to teach fractions.

I joked about this, but this makes me legitimately angry. Especially since I've come across another 3 people who think the same thing.

You're going to be a loving teacher. You are going to be responsible for 30 children every single year. You are going to be determining what kind of lives they are going to have. This is really basic poo poo that you need to know because you are the person who is solely responsible that they learn this! Even if you don't remember the rule, do some critical thinking for 10 loving seconds and realize that this cannot possibly be true.

I want to fail these people. I want to kick them out of the goddamn program. Go do something else with your life where you aren't responsible for the future of hundreds of people during your career.

Like they chat in this class like it doesn't matter and it's infuriating. YOU HAVE TO KNOW THIS! THIS IS REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
who else here had a 4th grade teacher who didnt believe in evolution despite being married to the high school science teacher?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my high school history classes were fun because i was smart enough to know a lot of it was bullshit (the fall of rome was due to orgies in the street and indecent acts in bath houses) but not knowledgeable enough to actually refute anything the guy was saying with facts
i mean i could have just said "that is stupid" but that probably would have gotten me in trouble

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Take a break from this math nerd stuff and join No Holds Barred Mafia http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782283&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post461781356 that has No Standard Mafia RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it, we only need five more people to join

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Your Personal Muse posted:

Take a break from this math nerd stuff and join No Holds Barred Mafia http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782283&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post461781356 that has No Standard Mafia RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it, we only need five more people to join

Less if you give me multiple roles.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Asiina posted:

I wouldn't presume to say, since my field of research is specifically on math education. I will say though that the objectively correct answers aren't really as objective as they appear. The assignment I've been marking for the last 3 hours (and I'm only 1/3 through the class) is one where 4 students get the correct answer on paper, but when they explain, their answer may or may not be mathematically sound. I gave one of the examples. Another student says "well 7 is more than 1 so 7/8 is more than 1/3" which is the correct answer but shows they clearly have no idea how fractions work.

But this is still an objective means of determining if an answer is sound so it still appears pretty objective.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i knew someone who was training to be a nurse who believed hitler had an extra chromesome and a third ball and that is why he commit genocide

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Man I'm glad y'all aren't engineers, you'd all flip your poo poo over the poo poo they get into.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What if instead of common core we just made kids do proofs all the time

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a good aspect of common core is that it helps with critical thinking skills so students will be able to know when their teachers are full of poo poo

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Spiros posted:

What if instead of common core we just made kids do proofs all the time

Make kids do push ups IMO.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We do keane

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CCKeane posted:

Make kids do push ups IMO.

i like the one thing where they put it on the cd player where it made a buzz sound and you had to go over to the other side of the gym before it buzz again and at first you could walk but then it slowly got faster and faster and your peers would suddenly start dropping like flies until you yourself couldn't take it anymore and had to stop

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like it because the robot lady who narrated it was sexy

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

i like the one thing where they put it on the cd player where it made a buzz sound and you had to go over to the other side of the gym before it buzz again and at first you could walk but then it slowly got faster and faster and your peers would suddenly start dropping like flies until you yourself couldn't take it anymore and had to stop

Motherfucking beep test.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Let's make Keane do pushups

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Spiros posted:

Let's make Keane do pushups

I tried, but I just end up pushing the earth down.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm back in Phily.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The solution is to pull a slight portion of the province of keanebutte under your hands

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Max posted:

I'm back in Phily.

*throws handfuls of batteries at you*

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Spiros posted:

*throws handfuls of batteries at you*

Batteries have gotten pretty expensive, surprised yinz haven't found something cheaper to throw after all these years.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

They're used batteries tyvm I care about the environment

Max
Nov 30, 2002

We got a new place that is infinitely closer to where I work and has obliterated the need for me to drive on I - 76 every day. This also means I won't have to live here anymore after July 16th. Hooray.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

We got a new place that is infinitely closer to where I work and has obliterated the need for me to drive on I - 76 every day. This also means I won't have to live here anymore after July 16th. Hooray.

Nice!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
My eyes glazed over for the last couple of pages but you mentioned something interesting ie linguistics, which is good.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Don't you mean....eg

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I will destroy you Keane. No I specifically used the correct term for the specific reference

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Keane and Busb should join my dumb game

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Because linguistics is the only thing possibly of interest in this thread you see

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
No thanks its really not my thing.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Linguistics are something we technically have to accept about this world but that nobody likes such as taxes or Australia

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
If you don't like taxes then ur dumb. America ugh

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tax everybody everyday IMO.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Tax everybody everyday IMO.

We do

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

NOT NEARLY ENOUGH.

I want you taxed so hard you throw your animes into the ocean.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't watch anime

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Spiros posted:

I don't watch anime

Of course not, they're all thrown into the ocean, the only anime that belongs down there is Spongebob squarepants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Not true, the cartoonishly bad Cleveland Browns belong there too