Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

Looking at the specs on paper, would a 1060 be a good/better side-grade to a 970 than an RX 480?

We'll know after we (don't) get the rumoured 1500mhz RX480.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

axeil posted:

Is an overclock really going to generate that much extra performance without switching to a custom cooler though? I was under the impression that all an overclock on stock cooling will get you is maybe an extra frame or three per second, which only really matters if you're sitting right near 60 or 30 fps.

It'd be interesting to see a full write-up of a non-reference 480 vs a non-reference 1060 with and without a 24/7 stable overclock. Seems like this generation there's real decisions to be made in the $175-$250 market.

For these low powered cards, even the reference coolers are typically more than ample. It's almost certainly going to be bios TDP limited for OCing vs cooling limited, if you're just looking at a reference model card.

e: The stock/reference 1070 picks up about 15% performance from OCing. Many/most of the aftermarket ones actually gain less, percentage wise, but that's really because they're just factory OCed cards that start out with clocks closer to the ~2100 MHz that Pascal examples seem to typically OC to on air/without voltmods.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 7, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

I dunno, I'm excited to be able to recommend all my casual friends pick up $125 RX 470s in 3 months. To replace a variety of things from 5750s, GTX 560s, 8800GTs, and integrated graphics!

Sure that would be great for consumers, but that is only the result of AMD completely at the mercy of a competitor having both much higher perf/die area and perf/watt.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

Sure that would be great for consumers, but that is only the result of AMD completely at the mercy of a competitor having both much higher perf/die area and perf/watt.

Won't the 1050 be around that price range too? I'd imagine it'll be roughly 970 performance for what, $179 or $189?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Man, I just checked r/AMD and it's pretty much gone full r/AyyMD after the announcement. They aren't pleased with the GTX 1060 announcement.

It's not all bad, somebody's mom has the right idea:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bardeh posted:

Won't the 1050 be around that price range too? I'd imagine it'll be roughly 970 performance for what, $179 or $189?

It will be up to Nvidia whether they want to do that, but that's not really the point. The point is, if you have to "win" by hoping your opponent doesn't choose to crush you when they already have all the means to do it, you have already lost the war by default.

Besides, Nvidia could feasibly release a 280X level performance card running solely on PCIE slot power and AMD will have literally zero means of countering it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

jm20 posted:

Just release all the cards to appease demand and increase the availability already ugh. Also mark down the 390/980s thanks

How many of you already have a 1070 or 1080? Wonder when the worst is going to be over.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

How many of you already have a 1070 or 1080? Wonder when the worst is going to be over.

1070 is arriving today. I decided I wanted one, checked nowinstock, saw the EVGA SC was available, and ordered it. Entire time spent waiting to order: around 3 minutes.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Well that didn't take long, a smart little card at the magic 249$ price point.
Thanks for being a good step stool and taking 50$ off the price AMD, now get back in the pens.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Gwaihir posted:

The 960 was so bad, but this look like a card more akin to the 760 luckily.

What do you mean by this? Should the 960 have been less money for the performance decrease from a 970/980? I have one and I am looking at getting a 1060 or 480 once the benchmarks and partner boards come out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Pretty much, the 960 either had too little memory, or cost too much vs the performance it offered/vs the next card up. It just never had a place that it really made sense to buy.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Phlegmish posted:

3 of us (:x) got an AIB 1070 the day after release, but I guess there's been a fairly steady "I got ones" in this thread, and there are a lot more pre orders now which is I guess, something. I guessed it would take maybe 2-3 weeks for steady stock and I get a little more wrong every day.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

1070 is arriving today. I decided I wanted one, checked nowinstock, saw the EVGA SC was available, and ordered it. Entire time spent waiting to order: around 3 minutes.

It's probably not that hard to get one if you're assembling your PC yourself, but I'm wondering when stores are reliably going to have them available as an option for custom store-built PCs. Probably only when the hardcore crowd is satiated.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Phlegmish posted:

I have a 1070.

If you ask me, it's not rather a supply shortage per se but an inherent enormous demand for the 1070 since there is no AMD counterpart now and quite possibly none for a very long time, while price/performance at ~$400 AIB is still appealingly linear, far better perf/watt and cooling when pitted against a problematic reference RX480, and that is not mentioning the older DX12-weak Nvidia GPUs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

3 of us (:x) got an AIB 1070 the day after release, but I guess there's been a fairly steady "I got ones" in this thread, and there are a lot more pre orders now which is I guess, something. I guessed it would take maybe 2-3 weeks for steady stock and I get a little more wrong every day.

I'm surprised you're still having trouble finding AIB 1070s in the US, there's tons of stock in the UK.

...maybe we're just too poor to deplete the stock after Brexit :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

I ordered 1080 FEs from Dell on launch day when they said they had stock available, and they're still backordered lol

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

It's probably not that hard to get one if you're assembling your PC yourself, but I'm wondering when stores are reliably going to have them available as an option for custom store-built PCs. Probably only when the hardcore crowd is satiated.

People don't buy GPUs by themselves? It's literally stick in and play.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Palladium posted:

I have a 1070.

If you ask me, it's not rather a supply shortage per se but an inherent enormous demand for the 1070 since there is no AMD counterpart now and quite possibly none for a very long time, while price/performance at ~$400 AIB is still appealingly linear, far better perf/watt and cooling when pitted against a problematic reference RX480, and that is not mentioning the older DX12-weak Nvidia GPUs.

See, I'm assuming it's both a supply and a demand issue. I remember earlier in the thread people were posting logs of how many units stores were receiving, and it wasn't a lot.

I don't mind too much, it's a choice I made not to build my computer myself, but it's vaguely frustrating to have a build in mind that you can't order because one of the psrts isn't available.

e: I could order the GPU separately but I'm paranoid it wouldn't fit or something

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 7, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

See, I'm assuming it's both a supply and a demand issue. I remember earlier in the thread people were posting logs of how many units stores were receiving, and it wasn't a lot.

I don't mind too much, it's a choice I made not to build my computer myself, but it's vaguely frustrating to have a build in mind that you can't order because one of the psrts isn't available.

I got my first/current PC custom built and I'm glad I did because the people who say it's easy to do yourself are the people who already know how to do it.
Now I think I could do it no problem having swapped out components and cleaning it and whatnot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everything in Canada is backordered minus the stock coolers which you can find at some stores online.

Is it safe to call it a shitshow? I dunno. I am not hurting without my 1080 but it'd be nice to have it. I am in queue at EVGA still.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

e: I could order the GPU separately but I'm paranoid it wouldn't fit or something

It's like legos, dude. Here's how to install a GPU:

If your case has something covering the slot in the back, remove it
Put card in slot
Screw it to the case
Plug in any power adapters
Install drivers if necessary

Literally that easy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sout posted:

I got my first/current PC custom built and I'm glad I did because the people who say it's easy to do yourself are the people who already know how to do it.
Now I think I could do it no problem having swapped out components and cleaning it and whatnot.

I swapped out a GPU once ten years ago, but that's about it.

I had boot problems a while ago, I opened up my case and I honestly had trouble distinguishing components from each other. Though I'm proud to say I did manage to figure out how to reset my motherboard (it didn't help)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

i got my 1070 on tuesday. nowinstock has several cards currently available: http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1070/

honestly, i just went to the 1070 listings on newegg, sorted by lowest price, and refreshed the page until the card i wanted became available.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So, anecdotally, I guess the memory-based predictions came true and the 1080 has worse availability than the 1070 despite the earlier launch.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Also implies yield issues for the 1080 but only 3/4 of the SMMs have to work for the 1070 to be made, so logically there's more of those.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The 1060 seems solid enough, though, as always, wait for benchmarks. Poor AMD keeps getting kicked in the teeth.

Still gonna end up with a 480 this time around, because Freesync.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I wouldn't rule out it being yield. It will be interesting to see how things shake out for the Ti

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Wow. Don't go to nowinstock dot com. Make sure it's dot net.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

It's like legos, dude. Here's how to install a GPU:

If your case has something covering the slot in the back, remove it
Put card in slot
Screw it to the case
Plug in any power adapters
Install drivers if necessary

Literally that easy.
He said he was worried it wouldn't fit, which is something that can happen. My 980Ti was a half inch too long for my case, due to an unremovable drive cage in the way, which is how I came to purchase a Define R5.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Reference 1060 with no 6 pin power connector. So much for OC

e: n/m they moved it off to the huge overhanging shroud and soldered the wires directly to the board :lol:

vvvv :o:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 7, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Prescription Combs posted:

What? It does have a 6-pin.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sout posted:

I still use the speaker system from the Dell I had put together ten years ago, and I only just now replaced the monitor. Everything else has been swapped out or replaced or just wore out, over time. But it was a good baseline.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Prescription Combs posted:

e: n/m they moved it off to the huge overhanging shroud and soldered the wires directly to the board :lol:

vvvv :o:

Lol thats weird as hell. Guess they didn't want the connector in the middle :confused:

edit: 980 performance on pcie power would be an insane win though

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 7, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

teagone posted:

Looking at the specs on paper, would a 1060 be a good/better side-grade to a 970 than an RX 480?

"Wait for benchmarks", but why side-grade? Depending on your reasoning, the 1060 is at leaast going to give you a perf and efficiency boost.

e: ^^^ Well define "PCI-E Power" :xd: ^^^

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

i rma'd my evga 1070 acx sc which i got june 23 and got another one yesterday. i guess ymmv depending on when you're checking; i know people who waited about a day before they snagged some aib 1070.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hubis posted:

"Wait for benchmarks", but why side-grade? Depending on your reasoning, the 1060 is at leaast going to give you a perf and efficiency boost.

My initial plan was to get an RX 480 when it was touted as having similar performance to a GTX 980 pre-OC and give my dad my GTX 970. Once the 480 benchmarks came out, I debated on buying an RX 480 for my dad and just keeping my GTX 970, but then the whole power issue thing made me decide not to do that. The 1060 on paper sounds like what I had hoped the RX 480 would be, albeit at a $50 premium, but I'll be fine with that price if the benchmarks check out.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Hubis posted:

heh I guess we have to do that now

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Returned my 1070 g1 today as well. Couldn't stand the loud design. Looking out for a gaming X 1070 instead now as they are supposed to be amongst the most quiet ones.

Belgium still has no 1070/1080 AIB stock whatsoever still. But then when I go look at webstores in Germany (neighbouring country), they have 10+ stock on almost every single version.. On top of that they are usually around 40€ cheaper :shrug:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mikojan posted:

Returned my 1070 g1 today as well. Couldn't stand the loud design. Looking out for a gaming X 1070 instead now as they are supposed to be amongst the most quiet ones.

Belgium still has no 1070/1080 AIB stock whatsoever still. But then when I go look at webstores in Germany (neighbouring country), they have 10+ stock on almost every single version.. On top of that they are usually around 40€ cheaper :shrug:

Were you having the like 60 db craziness earlier in the thread?

Although mine is definitely quiet, I had some intermittent fan bearing issues which I'm not looking forward to. I am already past the newegg replacement period and plus I wouldnt get one anytime soon anyway so im just letting it ride. It kind of went away though, for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mikojan posted:

The store I keep checking actually has less 1070 stock than 1-2 weeks ago. Somehow.

gently caress Belgium