Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

vainman posted:

I'm not going to tell you how to enjoy sports but I feel like every year I see a fight and like a goldfish go 'that's the best fight I've ever seen'. What do you think the 80s had that today doesn't?

I mis-spoke. I meant how lovely boxing has become compared to old timey stuff. Ignore me, I type with my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

There is a new foxcatcher documentary from the guy who did smashing machine on netflix and it's extremely good.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
What are the best books and documentaries on old school boxing?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

A Small Toilet posted:

What are the best books and documentaries on old school boxing?

THe book Unforgivable Blackness is really good

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Documentary by the same name is excellent as well if you were into that sort of thing too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I know MMA contracts are still a bit of a black box, but UFC (or Bellator or DREAM or what have you) fighters don't get any guaranteed downside money, do they? If you don't fight, you don't make a dime? Do they at least have a guaranteed number of fights per year? Seems like pro fighting is a bad way to make money.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
In order: Yes, fighters are not salaried employees, the UFC has to offer them a fight within a certain amount of time and if they don't I believe they can ask for and get a release (fighters don't have to accept the offer), and yes, pro fighting is generally a bad way to make money, which is why many pro mma fighters have another job.

Also, DREAM is dead.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It may be 2 but I beleive they try and get undercard guys 3 fights a year. But I could be wrong.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LordPants posted:

It may be 2 but I beleive they try and get undercard guys 3 fights a year. But I could be wrong.

Three is normal but it doesn't have to be that way.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I think they usually have to offer you 3 a year. You don't have to take them though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dangersim posted:

I think they usually have to offer you 3 a year. You don't have to take them though.
Right, and if they don't offer you 3, they have to pay your show money for the missing fights. It may he a bullshit offer at times, like a teammate, to fulfill the contract, but generally they end up making enough offers.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I always wonder how Dominic Cruz and Khabib and other dudes who were probably not already millionaires paid for their years and years of medical bills+therapy without fighting. Or does the UFC/some form of insurance cover that too?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
UFC provides insurance and Cruz was paid for his Fox gig.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Yeah, they hooked up Dominick on top of being an on camera analyst.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
That said...

Cruz, as champ, was entitled to PPV points when the original trilogy fight booking was set as the Silva-Sonnen II co-main. He lost millions of dollars just from missing that one fight.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
With the USADA do you guys pronounce each letter or do you say like you-SAA-da?

Dumb question I know.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Memento posted:

With the USADA do you guys pronounce each letter or do you say like you-SAA-da?

Dumb question I know.

You saw duh

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The latter.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Do UFC fighters get insurance for people pulling out at the last minute?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Neon Belly posted:

As far as I know there's nothing formal about this, but in every case where a fight fell through for someone last minute because the other guy hosed up and the ufc couldn't get a replacement together, they paid that guy his show pay. It won't compare at all to what he would have gotten in sponsors, ppv points and other bonuses from actually fighting, but DC likely didn't bankrupt himself preparing for a Jones fight that didn't transpire.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

As far as I know there's nothing formal about this, but in every case where a fight fell through for someone last minute because the other guy hosed up and the ufc couldn't get a replacement together, they paid that guy his show pay. It won't compare at all to what he would have gotten in sponsors, ppv points and other bonuses from actually fighting, but DC likely didn't bankrupt himself preparing for a Jones fight that didn't transpire.

I wonder if there's something in the contracts that prevents DC from suing Jones over this. That would be amazing fun.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Dana said at the conference that even though theyve given guys their show money in the past, this time is different because Cormier gets paid a lot, and they probably dont want to be out $200k in show money or something for a fight that didnt happen when Cormier might just fight again shortly after

Cormier could always sue Jones i guess lol

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Bluedeanie posted:

I was thinking not even done through UFC, but a 3rd party lost of value insurer. There are college football players who have policies that pay them millions if they don't get picked high in the draft, for instance.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
There just might not be enough of a market to draft those policies considering that maybe a dozen mma fighters could afford it

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only concrete thing is if you weigh in you get your show money.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

Jon Jones started fighting originally because he didn't pull out

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mewse posted:

Jon Jones started fighting originally because he didn't pull out

Sexual chocolate aint no do nothing bitch.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
What's the origin/meaning of the word "classic" in the titles of wrestling events? ("Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic", "CruiserWeight Classic") Just some old school carny poo poo?

"It's a guaranteed classic, ladies and gentlemen, this thing that has not happened yet. Hurry hurry hurry"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
sure. why not.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Cubone posted:

What's the origin/meaning of the word "classic" in the titles of wrestling events? ("Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic", "CruiserWeight Classic") Just some old school carny poo poo?

"It's a guaranteed classic, ladies and gentlemen, this thing that has not happened yet. Hurry hurry hurry"

clas·sic
/ˈklasik/
adjective
judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
"a classic novel"
synonyms: definitive, authoritative; More
noun
a work of art of recognized and established value.
"his books have become classics"
synonyms: definitive example, model, epitome, paradigm, exemplar; More
a school subject that involves the study of ancient Greek and Latin literature, philosophy, and history.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

clas·sic
/ˈklasik/
adjective
judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
"a classic novel"
noun
a school subject that involves the study of ancient Greek and Latin literature, philosophy, and history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJ1RHUnX9s

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

clas·sic
/ˈklasik/
adjective
"a classic novel"
noun
I know you mean to be sardonic but your reply is literally just part of the premise of my question. None of those definitions can meaningfully apply to something that hasn't happened yet.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
[deep announcer voice] THE THING WE WANT YOU TO BUY WILL BE GREAT. MAYBE. WE DON'T KNOW. IT HASN'T HAPPENED YET

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
It's not just a wrestling thing. See the world baseball classic and many bicycle races.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

In MMA a classic is any fight where someone we collectively hate gets killed or most recently Robbie Lawler spits blood while winning a fight.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Phyzzle posted:

It's not just a wrestling thing. See the world baseball classic and many bicycle races.

To be fair, a cycling classic is usually a ~really old~ race unless it's one of the few ones that have come along recently.

edit: but on the other hand, classic is also code for "one day race" so yeah, I get your point.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
most of the classics in cycling are at least 50 years old, some over 100. except for the prudential ridelondon-surrey classic but thats a stupid name for a stupid race.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Crossposting here, just in case.

Bluedeanie posted:

Hey, I made this thread for newbies who might still be interested in MMA after UFC 200 but don't know or care about the pedantic poo poo we discuss in this thread. I hope it is useful for someone!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782863

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is everyone's favorite outdated piece of information from the op of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Most of it is still at least sort of relevant, it's a hell of an effort and even if it makes people say the wrong things at least they might then get corrected without anyone calling them too many names.

RobBorer posted:

Other guys to watch - Demetrious Johnson

Some of it is pretty good advice, I wish more people would watch Demetrious Johnson fight.